Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

psydude posted:

Doesn't BlackBoard offer a service similar to O365? Move to that.

Not my call to make, this organisation moves at a glacial pace and if they decide on doing something they have to do it differently from other universities otherwise they're not doing it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Gyshall posted:

also one of my new clients I was working at yesterday has a 2003 domain controller with 256 gigs of ram and a pentium 3 oh god. And also a windows 2000 workstation running their most important LOB program too

If this is a typo or not, either way it's amazing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor Bombadil posted:

The biggest problem with this particular client is that there is a guy who thinks he is "good with computers" who will go about shouting "What's wrong with this ancient machine it has whole 192MB of RAM!"

I've found a good strategy for these people: Point out how that machine compares to your cell phone. A Galaxy S4 has a 1.9GHz quad core and 2GB of RAM. Even most technically ignorant C-level types understand it's an old phone, but it beats the on-paper specs of these old machines we all want to get rid of. Obviously we know GHz isn't everything so on and so forth, but the kind of person we're talking about here can usually be beaten with sufficiently big numbers.

Obviously this works best if you carry an Android, Apple's specs are generally a lot worse on paper (again mostly irrelevant in the real world, but less useful for this strategy).

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Literally just spent two hours on the phone with someone trying to setup an iPhone but couldn't because he could not access his Apple ID/iCloud. And he couldn't access that account because he couldn't type the password correctly. We ended up reseting the account twice, the second time with me remoted into his computer and going through the id.apple.com website so I could see exactly what he was doing. I have never worked with someone so inept at using a keyboard. And of course he wouldn't admit to typing anything wrong, it *must* have been something on Apple's end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Well, to be fair the Enterprise and DataCenter editions of 2003 R2 could address up to 1TB for the x64 version. Still about $20K for the memory alone if they got it right when the Pentium Dual Core was released (I'm assuming they wouldn't have the "M" processor in a server).

mewse
May 2, 2006

jmu posted:

Literally just spent two hours on the phone with someone trying to setup an iPhone but couldn't because he could not access his Apple ID/iCloud. And he couldn't access that account because he couldn't type the password correctly. We ended up reseting the account twice, the second time with me remoted into his computer and going through the id.apple.com website so I could see exactly what he was doing. I have never worked with someone so inept at using a keyboard. And of course he wouldn't admit to typing anything wrong, it *must* have been something on Apple's end.

He probably gets paid more than you as well

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: in Holland Michigan!

It's in June though. :negative: But the company looks amazing and the phone interview became awesome after about 30 minutes. The interview was supposed to be for a half hour and I ended up shooting the poo poo with the CEO for over two hours.

Great benefits, same pay as I am making now, 10% cost of living less than Boise. :woop:

edit* I was the first person out of five other people to know what a mmu even was.

I know this was a couple pages back, but congrats! I just moved to Holland around first of the year. Beer is good.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So a few months ago a new guy got added to our department, and since we didn't have any more cubes I got kicked out of mine so he could have one. And they "couldn't" (wouldn't) buy another cubicle for constantly varying reasons that went from absurdly inflated cubicle costs to fire codes. They peeled my name off the cube, put his on, and moved my stuff to a half-desk stuck to the side of what used to be my own cubicle. I'm the only one in the department like this, and my desk is completely open to everyone walking past while everyone else has little walls giving them their own area. They didn't even bother printing up a new label for the desk appendix. Did I mention this job hasn't given me a raise in three years?

The new guy hasn't been showing up for about a week now, and I just went and asked my boss about that. Turns out he left the company and nobody bothered to tell me, even though my boss said he expected I'd ask about it. So obviously I ask to have the cubicle back, since it's one tiny scrap of god damned dignity I can have until I :yotj:. And what does the boss say? That someone else is going to be using it in a few weeks, so I can only have it temporarily at best. Then the next new person gets it.

I'M NOT EVEN WORTH A loving CUBICLE TO THESE loving ASSHOLES. :tizzy:

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006
Found this thread Monday blasted though it all week trying to cheer myself up...didnt help much. Network team fell apart 3 people left in the span of 2 days and the network is a disaster area so now all their poo poo is dumped on me and I don't want to touch it as it will probably go tits up. Unix guy left his tickets land on me with no signs of rec's opening up any time soon. Sr. Directors keep bugging me about Lab Op's. Project manager is a useless twit and couldn't manage itself out of a hole. I'm doing 9 peoples jobs and my management chain is asking why I am falling behind...I think I need to start working on my resume.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bogon posted:

Found this thread Monday blasted though it all week trying to cheer myself up...didnt help much. Network team fell apart 3 people left in the span of 2 days and the network is a disaster area so now all their poo poo is dumped on me and I don't want to touch it as it will probably go tits up. Unix guy left his tickets land on me with no signs of rec's opening up any time soon. Sr. Directors keep bugging me about Lab Op's. Project manager is a useless twit and couldn't manage itself out of a hole. I'm doing 9 peoples jobs and my management chain is asking why I am falling behind...I think I need to start working on my resume.

Sounds like that place is going downhill fast, definitely update the resume and start firing it out, you'll get paid more and (hopefully) end up in a better situation, at least if it's not a lot better you'll get paid more for being in a poo poo situation

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

You need to ask your boss what is up with them treating you like that.

Then brush off your resume and get the hell out of there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, it's about time to set the building on fire.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

typo! I did have a junior admin bring down a terminal server VM today after he set it to use 1TB of RAM on the VM, which was hilarious.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, it's about time to set the building on fire.

Interview tomorrow. It's scheduled in the middle of the work day, but I'm not even full time so gently caress it, not showing up to work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gyshall posted:

typo! I did have a junior admin bring down a terminal server VM today after he set it to use 1TB of RAM on the VM, which was hilarious.

look man all those ssh sessions add up

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My coworker is being such a hardon. We're trying to buy a bunch of Gigamon stuff, which would let us halve the number of sensors we need at each site. He's freaking out because of the cost of the Gigamon setup, however when you factor in that we'll need half as many sensors, it adds up to about $40k in savings.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah why the gently caress wouldn't you ask why this is happening? I'd be downright belligerent at this point.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Happens all the time. Guy / gal in IT management gets burned once and heftily overspecs everything afterwards. S/he then proceeds to deny accountability for not understanding the performance bottlenecks of a system by pointing to the hideously unbalanced system's receipt and saying, "Hey, don't look at me, it's the best money can buy."

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Potato Salad posted:

Happens all the time. Guy / gal in IT management gets burned once and heftily overspecs everything afterwards. S/he then proceeds to deny accountability for not understanding the performance bottlenecks of a system by pointing to the hideously unbalanced system's receipt and saying, "Hey, don't look at me, it's the best money can buy."

The pentium 3 didn't have 256 gigs of ram tho, it was a typo on my part. 256MB of ram.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah why the gently caress wouldn't you ask why this is happening? I'd be downright belligerent at this point.

Because I'm a timid doormat with student loans, low self-esteem, and parents I'm terrified of disappointing. Plus my boss is the son of the company's owner, who's a backstabbing snake, and I doubt my job would survive if I complained too directly.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gyshall posted:

The pentium 3 didn't have 256 gigs of ram tho, it was a typo on my part. 256MB of ram.

*makes panicky hooting noises*

An Angry Bug posted:

Because I'm a timid doormat with student loans, low self-esteem, and parents I'm terrified of disappointing. Plus my boss is the son of the company's owner, who's a backstabbing snake, and I doubt my job would survive if I complained too directly.

Grow a spine or you will always be in these situations. IT is always the bottom rung of any organizations unless you set expectations properly.

At my current job I still hear horror stories about how the CEO used to scream in the face of the guy I replaced. When I was eventually called to the mat, I made it quite clear how I was willing to be addressed in a professional environment. This then lead into the standard "Garbage in/garbage out" discussion where a CEO woke up from his long slumber and realized that you can't budget for consumer grade and expect enterprise performance and no I couldn't loving magic it so it could.

Been smooth(ish) sailing since.

Now if I could just get him to understand that outside of a few niche products IT equipment depreciates insanely fast and that some of this equipment we have laying around is worse less than it's scrap value.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 22, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

look man all those ssh sessions add up

Sadly, I've seen this turn into a problem when one of our developers at an old job started sharing his screen configuration, which happened to have a 10M line scrollback buffer. Imagine 150 developers buffering millions of lines of output for no reason running a build server into the ground with SSH sessions

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

An Angry Bug posted:

Interview tomorrow. It's scheduled in the middle of the work day, but I'm not even full time so gently caress it, not showing up to work.

Well the first clue of them not valuing you as an employee was when they hired you part time. None of this should be a shock.

I understand taking part time
Employment if there is nothing else or you need your schedule to be flexible. Baring that you should have been looking for another job since day one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Take up boxing/muay thai/BJJ or something and work on your self confidence.

And find a new job

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The job grew out of the internship required for my degree. And yeah, currently job hunting.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Bug, I think your parents would be more disappointed that they raised a doormat than if you got fired for asking for some respect.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
There was a complete change-over in IT staff here right before I started, and we're slowly finding out that previous iterations of the department ignored Windows licensing pretty much entirely and deployed machines (servers and workstations) indiscriminately.

Fortunately the new head of IT wants to get everything fixed, and our CTO was understanding when we came to him with how much it's going to cost to true up everything. I just don't understand what the hell people here previously were doing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

There was a complete change-over in IT staff here right before I started, and we're slowly finding out that previous iterations of the department ignored Windows licensing pretty much entirely and deployed machines (servers and workstations) indiscriminately.

Fortunately the new head of IT wants to get everything fixed, and our CTO was understanding when we came to him with how much it's going to cost to true up everything. I just don't understand what the hell people here previously were doing.

"Build a new server"

"We need licenses"

"No budget, build the server or you are fired."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Rhymenoserous posted:

"Build a new server"

"We need licenses"

"No budget, build the server or you are fired."
They would never be that overt. These situations call for platitudes. It's more...

"Build a new server"

"We need licenses"

"Well, we've made commitments to the customer. We're just going to have to find a way. We need to make do with less. We need team players. We don't have the budget for new licenses at this point, but we can't break out commitment to the customer. I trust that you will find a way to meet your obligations."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

beepsandboops posted:

And then I just remembered I checked over a couple older machines yesterday and today, and found they have some weird combination of Office 2010 trial version with only some of the bits of software licensed... (on stupid touch screen consumer grade AiO machines to boot)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They would never be that overt. These situations call for platitudes. It's more...

"Build a new server"

"We need licenses"

"Well, we've made commitments to the customer. We're just going to have to find a way. We need to make do with less. We need team players. We don't have the budget for new licenses at this point, but we can't break out commitment to the customer. I trust that you will find a way to meet your obligations."

That's when you make sure you have email chain to back up that you warned them and make that sweet, sweet BSA Whilsteblower reward money. (I don't know if that's a thing. Sounds like it would be)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Build a new server"

"We need licenses"

This, but instead of Windows OS look at Database/App Server software licenses. It is hysterical how quickly that poo poo snowballs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

quote:

Bug, I think your parents would be more disappointed that they raised a doormat than if you got fired for asking for some respect.

He's actively looking for a new job, which makes him less of a doormat that a number of people who've posted in here, you guys can stop dumping all over him.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

This, but instead of Windows OS look at Database/App Server software licenses. It is hysterical how quickly that poo poo snowballs.

I hear Enterprise SQL and Enterprise Exchange can be pretty pricey. I'd be a shame if that got installed on the servers before you left.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The recruiter for that last position disappeared. Told me I'd hear from him Monday to get a series of interviews with the deciders all scheduled for the same day. Emailed him Tuesday. Nothing. Emailed him yesterday asking if I'm still being considered for the position. Nothing.

He doesn't owe me a job, or even an explanation but I think it's a punk move to ignore a simple request like that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

beepsandboops posted:

Stealing. The word you're looking for is stealing.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

MF_James posted:

Sounds like that place is going downhill fast, definitely update the resume and start firing it out, you'll get paid more and (hopefully) end up in a better situation, at least if it's not a lot better you'll get paid more for being in a poo poo situation

Yea its been going down hill since 4 years ago....when I started now I am the "manager" of the department I keep lying to myself it will get better.

Stupid poo poo that pissed me off today:
Customer sends an email 40gigE network needed end of next week 40gigE switch has been next day'd to you need up asap. Mind you "my" network is 300 racks running %95 rack density core is a Cisco 5k running 4 year old code with "leaf"10gigE switch running as dist switches and my favorite stack able switch line. Yet I'm some how supposed to think up and poo poo out a solution for 40GigE(MTP) connection -> 10gigE(LC) connector by next week....gently caress it taking tomorrow off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, and no notice when you do quit.

Things that piss me off: putting new logic boards in two MacBook Pros and both of them booted up fine… with no video. I processed the first one as a DOA board and sent it back. Then I had our senior Mac tech look at the second one because two DOA parts, of different models, in one day is unlikely.

Things that make me love my co-workers: he spotted a bent pin on the display cable and got it back in position, system saved !

Things that piss me off: FedEx had already picked up the first one to go back to Apple.

Things that make me feel a little smug: I got the replacement board and… video ! Turns out the first board I installed was DOA after all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

My coworker is being such a hardon. We're trying to buy a bunch of Gigamon stuff, which would let us halve the number of sensors we need at each site. He's freaking out because of the cost of the Gigamon setup, however when you factor in that we'll need half as many sensors, it adds up to about $40k in savings.

We recently got a bunch of Gigamon stuff in to replace a bunch of NTAPs, and so far the Gigamon stuff is impressively orange. No idea how well it will work, but goddamn that poo poo is orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People using habitually ellipsis to end sentences...

Don't they know that this is usually used to convey confusion or annoyance (among other things)?

My lead and several network analysts on this account do this and it drives me up the wall because I think they're cross with me.

And then there's the double period..