Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Fido explores this aspect and how it changes society in a very amusing way. Nursing homes are moved into prisons because too often grandpa would die in his sleep and come back and murder the family.

Fido is an awesome film, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

mr.capps posted:

When people recommend Luther they should say its a comic book show pretending to be a cop show. What makes Luther so great is how over the top it is.

I'm watching it right now, started the third season. I like how every killer is a psychopath and we never see how the city is reacting to multiple serial killers just doing their thing. It's kind of a lovely show after the first season but I'll finish it I guess.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Vietnam in HD is actually pretty good. They got Dexter to do the main VO, although ken burns is actually in as another VA.

I dunno what it is about Mike Hall's voice. It's weirdly monotone like it's trying really hard to suppress greater emotion. It fits the scene better than any other war Doc narrator. It has youth which was a main theme of the time period itself, but it also sounds like it's been shell shocked.

But still it feels like a typical war documentary. I personally feel sort of an angst because I grew up watching WW2 docs with my grandad whenever I'd go over to his place. Him being a vet and having constant commentary was great. The reason why I hate myself for watching it is because.. ANOTHER GOD drat WAR DOCUMENTARY. But it's interesting enough to hold me down.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 22, 2015

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

NeoSeeker posted:

Vietnam in HD is actually pretty good. They got Dexter to do the main VO, although ken burns is actually in as another VA.

I dunno what it is about Mike Hall's voice. It's weirdly monotone like it's trying really hard to suppress greater emotion. It fits the scene better than any other war Doc narrator. It has youth which was a main theme of the time period itself, but it also sounds like it's been shell shocked.

But still it feels like a typical war documentary. I personally feel sort of an angst because I grew up watching WW2 docs with my grandad whenever I'd go over to his place. Him being a vet and having constant commentary was great. The reason why I hate myself for watching it is because.. ANOTHER GOD drat WAR DOCUMENTARY. But it's interesting enough to hold me down.

I'm gonna watch this.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

CortezFantastic posted:

I'm watching it right now, started the third season. I like how every killer is a psychopath and we never see how the city is reacting to multiple serial killers just doing their thing. It's kind of a lovely show after the first season but I'll finish it I guess.

Every criminal they track isn't *just* a serial killer but the most gimmicky, television-friendly, mess of serial killer tics you can mash together. It seriously reads like a parody of Hollywood's obsession with showy mastermind criminals like Hannibal Lector or Jigsaw. Luther's London is *crawling* with theatrical psychopaths.

I hate-watched all 3 seasons (which to be fair is a quick breeze for a UK show).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rewatching season 1 of The Fall as a refresher for season 2 and drat, it really is just a good fuckin' show and a big part of that is definitely getting to see things from the POV of the killer right off the bat.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Every criminal they track isn't *just* a serial killer but the most gimmicky, television-friendly, mess of serial killer tics you can mash together. It seriously reads like a parody of Hollywood's obsession with showy mastermind criminals like Hannibal Lector or Jigsaw. Luther's London is *crawling* with theatrical psychopaths.

I hate-watched all 3 seasons (which to be fair is a quick breeze for a UK show).

I'm glad to hear that. I tried to watch Luther, (Idris Elba is awesome) but I just couldn't get past a few episodes. I saved it in my queue to try again because this thread kept raving about it but hearing this I think I'm just going to remove it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm watching Z Nation for some god awful reason and I gotta ask would it really cost THAT much more to get practical effects for the guns and blood?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would assume an unattended coma patient would go from "coma patient" to "corpse" (walking or otherwise) after about a week or so.

Wikipedia says 3 months in some places and an indeterminate amount of time in others. It most definitely was not just 24 hours though, or else the scavengers going into Atlanta don't make sense (there should be enough supplies in the suburbs to last a while).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hemale in pain posted:

I'm watching Z Nation for some god awful reason and I gotta ask would it really cost THAT much more to get practical effects for the guns and blood?

Time is money.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

And they'd need all kinds of safety training and crew that they don't need with just digital effects.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Digital is better in almost every way except that it looks like garbage, which I suspect isn't much of a concern for something called Z Nation.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

axleblaze posted:

Digital is better in almost every way except that it looks like garbage

Yep. A new take with squibs means time lost and new wardrobe which means money.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

Digital is better in almost every way except that it looks like garbage, which I suspect isn't much of a concern for something called Z Nation.

Digital blood spatter :fuckoff:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched Cast Away for the first time last night. It was pretty good, I don't know how I haven't seen it before now.

R.I.P Wilson :smith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm glad to hear that. I tried to watch Luther, (Idris Elba is awesome) but I just couldn't get past a few episodes. I saved it in my queue to try again because this thread kept raving about it but hearing this I think I'm just going to remove it.
Same. I gave up when somebodies tongue got cut out.

Black Mirror - Furthering the recommendations for this show. All of the episodes left me feeling a bit creeped out afterwards in a 'goddamnit that could totally happen' sense (obviously the show takes things to extremes, but the general ideas were sound). Fairly good mix of plausibly realistic tech episodes and some purely allegorical stories. Be sure to watch all the way through the credits because some of the episodes intersperse the epilogue through them. The epilogue more or less salvaged one episode from :rolleyes: to 'OK' (the hunted criminal theme park).

You might want to watch the first episode last though because WTF.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

david_a posted:

You might want to watch the first episode last though because WTF.

This is a terrible suggestion. Watch the first episode first, its the only a perfect introduction to Black Mirror but a perfect introduction to Charlie Brooker and what he is about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've heard people say Fringe eventually gets good at some point (not in the thread but in general)? I remember thinking the first few episodes were poo poo when it aired but I wouldn't mind binging a supernatural TV show. How long does it take to get good?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NESguerilla posted:

I've heard people say Fringe eventually gets good at some point (not in the thread but in general)? I remember thinking the first few episodes were poo poo when it aired but I wouldn't mind binging a supernatural TV show. How long does it take to get good?

I made it through season 1 then gave up out of boredom.

I'm on season 4 of Supernatural though, might be worth a shot, though it's starting to get silly. Why did they replace Ruby with this terrible woman who can't act, and also the blood subplot is really dumb.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

The monster-of-the-week episodes are always garbage, the overall narrative is at best "OK", the only good reason to watch Fringe is to watch John Noble chew the scenery.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

John Noble is excellent though. Watch to the end of season 1 and if it doesn't hook you, then give it up.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

hemale in pain posted:

Walking Dead has good practical effects and saves money by having long stretches where nothing interesting is happening and everyone is all super serious. Z Nation just goes full retard pretty much all the time and saves money by having crappy digital effects. TWD is sometimes really good but is often boring. Z Nation is never good but it's never boring.

NESguerilla posted:

There's some good episodes in the first season and it's worth watching all the way through in my opinion. Season 2 was generally better though and you can start there without being completely lost but if you don't at least find the first season watchable you're probably not going to like the show. Also it's a more of a comic-book sci-fi show than a supernatural one.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

NESguerilla posted:

I would say Season 1 can be hit or miss at times but there are some great episodes there and as has been said John Noble really is amazing as a literal mad scientist. The problem with Season 1 is that its antagonist only really gets introduced part way through and then only makes a few appearances here and there from then on and the writing has a hard time finding its footing at times. Season 2 is where the writers really got a handle on what they wanted to do,

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Fringe is one my favorite sci-fi shows, mainly because it's got some pretty big balls for what it tries to do. But yeah the first season is iffy and it doesn't really kick off until the second season a few episodes in.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I should give Luther another shot, the comment about it being a town full of theatrical psychos makes it sound like it'd be right up my alley. I think I went into that first episode expecting something closer tonally to The Fall and was kind of put off by how silly some of it was. Expectations can really damper my enjoyment of a show, and I usually have a much better time if I go into something without any idea of what to expect. (Which is how I went into Black Mirror, and holy poo poo haha).

That first episode of Peaky Blinders had a lot of extended sequences of Cillian Murphy walking around town. Does that chill out after the first couple of episodes?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jolo posted:

That first episode of Peaky Blinders had a lot of extended sequences of Cillian Murphy walking around town. Does that chill out after the first couple of episodes?
Yes. With only six episodes a season they can't afford to be too meandering.

Fringe chat - I used the first answer on this page as a guide. I started out trying to watch it all but some of the early episodes are absolute clunkers. It seems to be the inverse of The X-Files - the MOTW episodes suck but the 'real' story arc is the interesting part.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, Peaky Blinders gets more focused very quickly.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched Cast Away for the first time last night. It was pretty good, I don't know how I haven't seen it before now.

R.I.P Wilson :smith:

:smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Fringe may be my all-time favorite sci-fi series(or maybe second favorite behind X-files), but it is a little tough to re-watch it because I feel compelled to watch every single episode, and there are absolutely some terrible episodes in the first season. The first 6-8 episodes probably have more bad than good in them, and I was very close to dropping the series when it first aired. It gets so, so much better though in the second season, and the run of episodes from about halfway through season 2 all the way through the end of season 3 is some of the best sci-fi you can find anywhere.

The buildup to Peter getting in the machine is incredibly compelling television.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm only now noticing that the second and third seasons of Small Town Security are up. Are they as fantastic as the first?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Walking Dead has good practical effects and saves money by having long stretches where nothing interesting is happening and everyone is all super serious. Z Nation just goes full retard pretty much all the time and saves money by having crappy digital effects. TWD is sometimes really good but is often boring. Z Nation is never good but it's never boring.

Yea fair enough, I guess I just don't really appreciate the amount of effort that goes into blood squirts and gun fire but drat are the digital effects bad. I know awful digital effects are what they do but it's like they're so close to being good with this if they just spent a little more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

david_a posted:

Yes. With only six episodes a season they can't afford to be too meandering.

Fringe chat - I used the first answer on this page as a guide. I started out trying to watch it all but some of the early episodes are absolute clunkers. It seems to be the inverse of The X-Files - the MOTW episodes suck but the 'real' story arc is the interesting part.

There's actually no distinction after the first season. The characters treat the long-term story as the most important thing once they learn of it, instead of Mulder and Scully who find out about aliens infiltrating the government and then gently caress off to some swamp that's supposed to be haunted like nothing ever happened.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Wilson didn't die he clearly just set out on his own high-sea adventures.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix signed a deal with the Duplass Brothers's production company for at least four movies. They've branched out beyond their own movies recently, producing stuff like The Skeleton Twins, Safety Not Guaranteed and Bad Milo.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, Peaky Blinders gets more focused very quickly.

In my mind it's basically the british equivalent to breaking bad. A lot of tension and buildup to a series of really badass moments. Not to mention a loving killer soundtrack.

Equivalent in relation to quality and the general overall masterpiece feel it has. It feels more like a really long movie than a television show. It has good music, good writing, good suspense and god drat if the plot isn't awesome as full of standard tropes as it may be.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 23, 2015

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?

TOILETLORD posted:

i just wanted to say scorpion king 4 is surprisingly watchable

Hah! Scrolling through this thread and saw this comment. I'm in Scorpion King 4. I play Boris, the main villain's henchman. Everyone watch this movie so I can get some residuals.

It's pretty campy, goofy stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect from a straight-to-DVD Scorpion King movie. Had a lot of fun shooting it though.

Edit: photo for reference:

B-Hard fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 23, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

In my mind it's basically the british equivalent to breaking bad. A lot of tension and buildup to a series of really badass moments. Not to mention a loving killer soundtrack.

Equivalent in relation to quality and the general overall masterpiece feel it has. It feels more like a really long movie than a television show. It has good music, good writing, good suspense and god drat if the plot isn't awesome as full of standard tropes as it may be.

I honestly don't get all this love for this show. I mean, it isn't a really bad thing to watch but it isn't even close in quality to breaking bad. Breaking bad was a great show. Peaky blinders isn't even above 'decent if you're bored'.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

B-Hard posted:

Hah! Scrolling through this thread and saw this comment. I'm in Scorpion King 4. I play Boris, the main villain's henchman. Everyone watch this movie so I can get some residuals.

It's pretty campy, goofy stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect from a straight-to-DVD Scorpion King movie. Had a lot of fun shooting it though.

Edit: photo for reference:

There are four Scorpion King movies? What the hell, how does a spin off to a sequel of a remake do that? Are they just super cheap to pump out or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spalec posted:

There are four Scorpion King movies? What the hell, how does a spin off to a sequel of a remake do that? Are they just super cheap to pump out or something?

This surprised me too, but not as much as when I found out there are *6* Wrong Turn movies...y'know, the old Texas Chainsaw Massacre rip off with Eliza Dushku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spalec posted:

3 spinoff sequel C-movies probably cost as much as a season of a SyFy original series (unless it's Z Nation)

• Locked thread