Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

"In order to be faithful to the book, the producers of Gone With The Wind fought Will Hays over the use of this word."

:stonk:

"What is drat?"

*breathes sigh of relief*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah I was definitely fearing a South Park moment.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As absolutely hilariously awful as it would have been, I'm pretty sure Jeopardy would have edited it out had that happened.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Troy Queef posted:

I got THE CALL today, to an in-person interview up in Chicago sometime in the middle of March. (Technically this'll be my second time trying out: I advanced to the test/interviews/etc. for the College Championships in 2008, but they ended up picking up someone else from Mizzou--who went on to lose to some Notre Dame kid who was also from St Louis).

I'm starting the study of Shakespeare, opera and 18/19th century British writers now, the latter of which because the answer can't always be Sir Walter Scott.

Good luck dude.

Anne Whateley posted:

Thanks! I was in the 2013 contestant pool, so just now able to retest. My hope is to make it on while Alex is still there :p

That's a shame that you didn't advance through the contestant pool. 2013 was the year I got added in as well, and I made it in on the show last year, as everyone here already knows. Maybe we were at the same audition, since I've seen you around the NYC thread?

Also, I believe Alex has said that his contract is over at the end of this season or next, I forget what he told us during an audience Q&A session when they were filming my block of episodes. But he could always renegotiate a contract extension, I dunno. Still, 31 (or 32) seasons overall. It's been a good run for him.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 22, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Congratulations! From your pic you don't look familiar, but that was 18 months ago so it's still certainly possible. Have you gotten your check by now?

I don't know if I choked on the in-person test, because I killed it on the mini-game and I had the charm cranked up. Or maybe it really is random like they say. I think it's extremely unlikely I'll make it on while Alex is hosting (I mean, it's unlikely for anyone to make it on at all), but you gotta dream.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
300,000 test takers -> 3000 auditioners -> 300 or so contestants. The odds are really long. For anyone who passes the test and gets an audition invite, just enjoy the audition as a fun experience (which it is), and do your best to put it out of your mind. I say this as a 3-time auditioner with a year remaining in the contestant pool.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

zakharov posted:

300,000 test takers -> 3000 auditioners -> 300 or so contestants. The odds are really long. For anyone who passes the test and gets an audition invite, just enjoy the audition as a fun experience (which it is), and do your best to put it out of your mind. I say this as a 3-time auditioner with a year remaining in the contestant pool.

Exactly. It's fun (3 time auditioner here, about to time out and try again). It looks great on a resume. You are the coolest person in the room by a wide margin if you have social skills.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, I think that was my second in-person audition. I'm not all worked up about it, it's just fun to think about.

It was interesting -- the first time I went, the room was full of super-spergs. I think I was the only person under 40 (and I was like 22 at the time), and I was also the only woman. The last time I went, it was a total mix. Probably just a fluke based on which appointment time I chose or something, but it was a funny difference. Much more gregarious and less engineer-y the second time.

Do you really put it on your resume? That seems so strange to me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anne Whateley posted:

Congratulations! From your pic you don't look familiar, but that was 18 months ago so it's still certainly possible. Have you gotten your check by now?

I don't know if I choked on the in-person test, because I killed it on the mini-game and I had the charm cranked up. Or maybe it really is random like they say. I think it's extremely unlikely I'll make it on while Alex is hosting (I mean, it's unlikely for anyone to make it on at all), but you gotta dream.

Got my check the day the new season of Jeopardy started airing, back in September, which I announced in this thread. Just haven't gotten around changing my avatar. Spent most of my check paying back my family for expenses incurred going out to LA (have to pay your own flight and hotel room, though the latter is discounted a bit and due to an inexperienced desk clerk, we basically got one night for free) and at New York Comic Con.

My audition date back in 2013 was May 1st (I'll always remember that because of the of the Jonathan Coulton song "First of May" (outdoor loving starts today...)) at 9 in the morning, so I dunno if we were at the same one. I know they did 3 days of auditions in New York that year, with 3 time slots each, so it's a possibility we ran into each other at that particular audition.

Anne Whateley posted:

It was interesting -- the first time I went, the room was full of super-spergs. I think I was the only person under 40 (and I was like 22 at the time), and I was also the only woman. The last time I went, it was a total mix. Probably just a fluke based on which appointment time I chose or something, but it was a funny difference. Much more gregarious and less engineer-y the second time.
Hmm, that sounds kinda like the audition that I went to. I still remember a bunch of people from that one, especially since one of the people in the room with me at that audition (who was from Boston) wound up in the same prospective contestant pool with me in LA, which was quite a surprise when I saw her in the contestant shuttle to the Sony Pictures studios. She didn't get to compete on the day they taped my episode, but she came back on the next day and taped an episode. I mentioned her in thread, since apparently she's friends with one of the posters here, jscolon, I believe.

There was also a guy from Baltimore that worked at Fort McHenry, and a homemaker from brownstone Brooklyn (Park Slope, I think) who talked about playing video games (when asked about what games she was playing lately by Corinna, she said New Vegas). I can't really look down on here about that though, since when Corinna asked me what I did in my spare time, I said I spent a lot of time on the internet, though I didn't specify SA, and my interview prompt was about working at New York Comic Con...

zakharov posted:

mennoknight posted:

Exactly. It's fun (3 time auditioner here, about to time out and try again). It looks great on a resume. You are the coolest person in the room by a wide margin if you have social skills.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I think that was my second in-person audition. I'm not all worked up about it, it's just fun to think about.

Guess I was just lucky by getting in after my first audition round. I didn't think I was that good or bad on camera, but felt that I was solid on the second test. I dunno, maybe it's just the luck of the draw, especially with the interview stuff I mentioned above...

mennoknight posted:

It looks great on a resume.

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you really put it on your resume? That seems so strange to me.
I put it on my resume. I don't think it helped me land my current job, since I had submitted an older copy of my resume from before I appeared on Jeopardy and they took a long time to get back to me, but it was a conversation starter at a previous job interview when the office manager noticed it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 23, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Haha no, I definitely was not testing my wits at 9 am! Mine was early afternoon iirc.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I didn't put my appearance on my resume, but the interviewer has asked about it at every single job interview that i've had since then. I guess they find J-Archive or IMDb. I was on there like two days after my episode aired somehow.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy poo poo are todays challengers loving retarded. Why would you....jesus.....

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Haha no, I definitely was not testing my wits at 9 am! Mine was early afternoon iirc.

Hmm, there was an audition at 12 noon and a 3 on the same day, you might've been at one of those. They originally offered me the 3pm one, but I had a class that conflicted with it; no way was I going to go from class at CSI on Staten Island all the way to Times Square Manhattan and back on time. I asked my Chem professor if I could skip the class instead after they offered me the early slot so I could maybe catch one of my later classes, and he said that if it was because of a Jeopardy audition, it was fine. Figured I could pop back over to Staten Island for an afternoon lab class, but it didn't work out that way, though the Jeopardy audition excuse worked out well enough. Happened to miss a question under the Chemistry category during the second test, which earned me quite a bit of shade thrown my way by classmates and my professor when he asked how it went.

Got there a little late because of the vagaries of the subway system, the D train taking longer than I thought it would. Hadn't had a good night's sleep beforehand either, so that was wearing on me. Still, got there when they were still introducing the rules of the second test, so the contestant coordinator Corinna asked if I wanted to wait until noon or if I was good to go. I felt that i could handle it, so they snapped a Polaroid of me to attach to the application, and then I sat down for the test. A little after I came in, there was another guy who arrived late, but they had already started the test by then, so Glenn the producer asked him to come back for the noon audition instead. I did well enough at my audition despite my lack of sleep, though!

Also, on a somewhat related note, the king of Saudi Arabia just died, and is about to be replaced by his half-brother. I only bring this up because it was related to the Final Jeopardy question that I missed during my appearance. Now the country will have had 6 consecutive leaders who are siblings since 1953...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 23, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post, but yeah today was a low scoring game... So many clues left on the board, and Will got damned lucky he was able to pull out of the red right before time ended during Double Jeopardy. They all missed a bunch of what I felt were relatively easy clues, but I know the pressures of being up there competing under the lights, so I can't fault them all that much for being nervous. I did miss Final though; wasn't thinking straight.

Does the no ties rule also apply to second and third place? Because both challengers bet it all on Final and missed, winding up with 0, but it looked like they had different amounts from Aleve on their consolation prize displays to me for some reason. Was it just something I missed because I'm tired or do I need to get my eyes checked or something?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Stop avoiding sports categories goddammit!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Boo hiss.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

GhostStalker posted:

Does the no ties rule also apply to second and third place? Because both challengers bet it all on Final and missed, winding up with 0, but it looked like they had different amounts from Aleve on their consolation prize displays to me for some reason. Was it just something I missed because I'm tired or do I need to get my eyes checked or something?

The woman in the middle got $2,000 and the guy at the end got $1,000. We were confused about it, too. Maybe they break the tie by picking the player who momentarily held the highest score?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

Stop avoiding sports categories goddammit!

To be fair, Jeopardy sports questions are badly written so even fans do this.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

CPColin posted:

The woman in the middle got $2,000 and the guy at the end got $1,000. We were confused about it, too. Maybe they break the tie by picking the player who momentarily held the highest score?

Yeah, but I think the guy at the end had a higher score going into Final, IIRC. He probably should've come in second. I dunno what happened there, maybe someone on J-board or Keith Williams will be more enlightening on the subject...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, but I think the guy at the end had a higher score going into Final, IIRC. He probably should've come in second. I dunno what happened there, maybe someone on J-board or Keith Williams will be more enlightening on the subject...

They were tied going into final

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

We were trying to figure out what that meant, then just assumed that the lady killed her kids.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Missed the entirety of the Jeopardy round because of Mayor deBlasio's press conference on the snowstorm currently blanketing New York. Guess I didn't really miss much, though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

What a finish today

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I hate those FJ clues though.

"Name 1 of 7 sons of a 7th son who won 3 of 4 awards for 2 consecutive marathons by more than 5 or 6 minutes."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What a finish today

Very clever wager on the champion's part.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I was thinking Russell Crowe but apparently he didn't get one for A Beautiful Mind

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Missed with Tom Hanks. Fantastic finish though. Someone actually knew how to bet when they hit the last Daily Double!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I was thinking Russell Crowe but apparently he didn't get one for A Beautiful Mind

I was thinking Russel Crowe for a Beautiful Mind and Braveheart because I forgot it was actually Mel Gibson in Braveheart haha.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

zakharov posted:

Missed with Tom Hanks. Fantastic finish though. Someone actually knew how to bet when they hit the last Daily Double!

I thought "Well, the goons will be happy" when she bet it all. But was she really better off than if she'd bet all but a small amount, to avoid the risk that she would be shut out of Final Jeopardy entirely if she got it wrong? She knew the round was about to end.

I was also wondering if they would avoid mentioning Tom Hanks in Double Jeopardy if he were the answer in Final Jeopardy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Propaniac posted:

I thought "Well, the goons will be happy" when she bet it all. But was she really better off than if she'd bet all but a small amount, to avoid the risk that she would be shut out of Final Jeopardy entirely if she got it wrong? She knew the round was about to end.

Having a small amount left over would still have ensured a lock game for Brian, and probably knocked her our of second place as well.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HookShot posted:

I was thinking Russel Crowe for a Beautiful Mind and Braveheart because I forgot it was actually Mel Gibson in Braveheart haha.

Makes sense since Braveheart and Gladiator are pretty much the same movie. They both own.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

So nobody else noticed that the previous champ guessed on the very last clue, got it wrong, and thus eliminated herself from contention? Come one people!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

So nobody else noticed that the previous champ guessed on the very last clue, got it wrong, and thus eliminated herself from contention? Come one people!

And it was a stupid guess, "Rome" is never going to be the $2000 answer in a category about Italian cities and towns :colbert:

(Though that said Florence was a pretty easy answer to get from that clue, too easy for $2k as well IMO)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I didn't see yesterday's but I'm still mad that the leader on Wednesday bet low on the "80s Cinema" DD when he could have made it a runaway. Then he lost in FJ.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If I were to play along and track my score, what would be a good target score to delude myself into thinking I could possibly get on the show?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Beat the champion.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

If I were to play along and track my score, what would be a good target score to delude myself into thinking I could possibly get on the show?

Use this tool to track yourself.

http://sinecreations.com/coryat.php

For Daily Doubles, treat them as normal clues, but don't take away the money if you get it wrong. FJ doesn't matter.

If you can consistently get $25-30k, you might be show material. It depends on a lot of other stuff, of course.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

If you can consistently get $25-30k, you might be show material. It depends on a lot of other stuff, of course.

My Coryat score on my episode wound up being in the low $3K or so, because I kept missing clues. Most of the money I had came from the true Daily Double I hit. So really, Coryat isn't indicative of everything.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

zakharov posted:

Use this tool to track yourself.

http://sinecreations.com/coryat.php

For Daily Doubles, treat them as normal clues, but don't take away the money if you get it wrong. FJ doesn't matter.

Excellent, thanks. That's basically how I've been keeping score, but I do penalize myself for missing DDs and I place a $1 wager on Final just to track whether I get it right or wrong. I finally finished last week's eps on the DVR and averaged just under $25K. I guess I'll keep an eye out for the next online test round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The difficulty of last night's FJ versus tonight's was ridiculous.