Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

That reminds me...what exactly is Laurel planning to do with the two guys she just assaulted? She can't just have them arrested; isn't the whole point that there's no evidence against them now?

If they're in comas, they can't help Brick, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Gaz-L posted:

If they're in comas, they can't help Brick, maybe?

Do we think Laurel is a killer? I reckon no.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrianWilly posted:

That reminds me...what exactly is Laurel planning to do with the two guys she just assaulted? She can't just have them arrested; isn't the whole point that there's no evidence against them now?

Maybe they'll take a page from The Flash and she'll create The Birdcage to hold them all

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe they'll take a page from The Flash and she'll create The Birdcage to hold them all

Canary's Mine. :D

"Did Laurel just pass out?"
"Guys! We really need to get out of here!"

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 23, 2015

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I like the action in the episode but a few things stuck out:

I said it before but Dig needs a damned mask, he is the only one of the group with a baby (that knows about it) and a wife. The masks are supposed to protect those they care about from repercussions and he is the one who has the most to lose, they even showed him on a video camera in the episode.

The outfit Laurel was wearing wasn't Sara's so where did she get a full body leather suit? A sex shop?

This episode they show you just how far Oliver fell and it had to be at least 100 ft. There is no way he could survive that I don't care how many times he does the salmon ladder. I was ok with him surviving when it was the Lazarus pit but if this is some kind of miracle massage technique it's going to ruin the entire "death".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oroborus posted:

I said it before but Dig needs a damned mask, he is the only one of the group with a baby (that knows about it) and a wife. The masks are supposed to protect those they care about from repercussions and he is the one who has the most to lose, they even showed him on a video camera in the episode.

The outfit Laurel was wearing wasn't Sara's so where did she get a full body leather suit? A sex shop?

This episode they show you just how far Oliver fell and it had to be at least 100 ft. There is no way he could survive that I don't care how many times he does the salmon ladder. I was ok with him surviving when it was the Lazarus pit but if this is some kind of miracle massage technique it's going to ruin the entire "death".

He flexed his lats at juuuuuust the right moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oroborus posted:

Motorcycle shop?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the age of the internet.
My old dear sells poo poo like that

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He could have fell through some snow embankments that slowed his fall, and then landed in more snow, which his body heat melted so that's why you don't see it.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wtf no lazarus pit worst episode ever

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Oroborus posted:

And worse it was a video camera in the police evidence lockup building. Him not wearing a mask, even his balaclava - which he's worn before - was idiotic.

quote:

The silliest part is that they didn't have to show how far it was. They could have had his body plummet 30 feet into soft snow, but instead they went for 100+ feet onto solid rock.That will break bones and shatter skulls.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I...actually liked having no present day Ollie and could stand to just have Roy and Diggle being around doing things for a few more episodes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Drifter posted:

I...actually liked having no present day Ollie and could stand to just have Roy and Diggle being around doing things for a few more episodes.

Who say's he's coming back already?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They could have had his body plummet 30 feet into soft snow, but instead they went for 100+ feet onto solid rock.That will break bones and shatter skulls.

Yeah, it was well past the distance where things get gross.

Which they should've implied. Keep his body obscured from view until it's bound up in wrappings so the resurrection seems really hardcore.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I like Black Canary. But I hate Laurel. I hate Laurel as Black Canary. That scene with her wearing the costume did nothing for me considering how unlikable they made her throughout the series.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And worse it was a video camera in the police evidence lockup building. Him not wearing a mask, even his balaclava - which he's worn before - was idiotic.

The silliest part is that they didn't have to show how far it was. They could have had his body plummet 30 feet into soft snow, but instead they went for 100+ feet onto solid rock.That will break bones and shatter skulls.

The worst part is the first angle they filmed where he got kicked off the mountain after being stabbed was perfect, you saw he fell at least 30 feet but you didn't know for sure how much farther. The only thing showing he went farther was the sound of impact a second later but that could have been hand waved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drifter posted:

There's an upcoming ep named "The Return". Four weeks from now

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scyantific posted:

Who say's he's coming back already?

Well, I Mean Roy and Diggle seemed pretty close to giving up on it all at the end. Felicity's just a big fat party pooper.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Ollie just needs a bowl of that Queen family chili and he'll be good as new.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

Well, I Mean Roy and Diggle seemed pretty close to giving up on it all at the end. Felicity's just a big fat party pooper.

And that's when Laurel saw Sara's old gear and decided to suit up. It's pretty clear that she's decided that if Ollie's gone, and the Arrow won't be around, then she's going to try and fill that role.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

zoux posted:

There's an upcoming ep named "The Return". Four weeks from now

Amell, Guggenheim, and Johns have said that "The Return" isn't talking about Oliver or Slade's return. Johns co-wrote that episode too, so I'm inclined to believe him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

With Felicity saying she's 25 I think this is the first instance of a charcter being older than the actor in CW history.

Scyantific posted:

Amell, Guggenheim, and Johns have said that "The Return" isn't talking about Oliver or Slade's return. Johns co-wrote that episode too, so I'm inclined to believe him

So what's it about, tennis?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren:SPOILERS AHEAD CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK:siren:

WELP

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That sounds an awful lot like it's about Ollie's return to action. And yes, about Caity's return as Sara and Stormare as Vertigo, but, y'know, titles can be about more than one plot in the episode

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm willing to give Laurel the shot. Lets see if the writers can make her into a good Black Canary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least this one won't sleep with every man (and woman) who is nice to her for a second. That was a gross character trait.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
One thing I didn't get was why did the evidence lockup have enormous steel pipes sitting in it? Were they evidence of pipe crime?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

At least this one won't sleep with every man (and woman) who is nice to her for a second. That was a gross character trait.

How's 1950 treating you?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm not even sure what he's referring to. Sara slept with a grand total of two people that we know of. She's got nothing on Oliver's track record.

Also: yeah wtf you gross weirdo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm more fascinated by the police system that stores evidence for upcoming criminal cases in a flimsy warehouse instead of processing it, then when all the evidence is stolen a couple days before the trial by the person those criminals are accused of associating with, the judge is like "Welp guess we gotta let em go!"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bozart posted:

One thing I didn't get was why did the evidence lockup have enormous steel pipes sitting in it? Were they evidence of pipe crime?

Pied Piper is a legacy villain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hazo posted:

I'm more fascinated by the police system that stores evidence for upcoming criminal cases in a flimsy warehouse instead of processing it, then when all the evidence is stolen a couple days before the trial by the person those criminals are accused of associating with, the judge is like "Welp guess we gotta let em go!"

Hey gently caress you, buddy with your logic. This is a comic book show so if you can't handle that then you shouldn't be watching it.

...is what they'll tell you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drifter posted:

Hey gently caress you, buddy with your logic. This is a comic book show so if you can't handle that then you shouldn't be watching it.

...is what they'll tell you.

To be fair, they do have a point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

To be fair, they do have a point.

In this thread we can only criticize the actors' performances. Everything else is 'because comics'.

If they keep doing the telephoto swoop for Laurel they'll keep her intimidating enough, I suppose. Her wig looked seriously funny, though - her skin color throws the whole thing off, but it's cool as an adjunct mask. I think it'll be cool to have her be a little more active in the show, overall.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Drifter posted:

In this thread we can only criticize the actors' performances. Everything else is 'because comics'.

Arrow cannot fail, it can only be failed (by the actors (or us(because it is a Comic Book Show)))

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aphrodite posted:

You don't know that :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry if you don't like comic book action sequences in this comic book show? :shrug:

I mean if you want grim and gritty realism there's a Banshee thread?

Nobody is saying the Captain Cold/Heatwave/Flash fight wasn't cheesy and comic-book-dumb, just that it's kind of what they were aiming for to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

I'm sorry if you don't like comic book action sequences in this comic book show? :shrug:

I mean if you want grim and gritty realism there's a Banshee thread?

Nobody is saying the Captain Cold/Heatwave/Flash fight wasn't cheesy and comic-book-dumb, just that it's kind of what they were aiming for to begin with.

You thought I was being sarcastic when in actuality I simply had an epiphany and change of heart.

However, and someone else wrote it much better earlier, there's still a difference between effective and poorly handled show direction, and people immediately saying "this isn't the show for you" when it's criticized are just as silly. The people criticizing aren't really helping the discussion by continually stating this opinion on a thing that cannot/will not be changed, so I can see how neither of the two are very good for the thread. Hence my change of heart.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 23, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahhh one of Drifters trademark changes of heart.

Nothing to see here, put your pitchforks away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

ahhh one of Drifters trademark changes of heart.

Nothing to see here, put your pitchforks away

..but draw back your love bows.

• Locked thread