Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
thats what I thought too. maybe they just don't give a gently caress about old poo poo anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just buy a loving corolla/camry with your navy check and learn basic maintenance. Resist the urge to buy another basket case for the love of god.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

rscott posted:

I too almost bought a turbo z car but I did like twss said and put two fingers clean through the floor boards straight into the carpet. poo poo was like paper mache

I bought a Toyota pickup where I could stuff my arm up the rocker panel and touch the rear seats.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Professor Bling posted:

Sperg buy the Corvair

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm conflicted about doing something that evil straight out, but I think taking a can of Chassis Saver to it shows a best-faith effort and conceals the problem.

Its an 80's Z car in the rust belt that's been backyard converted to a turbo model and has some more mystery mods. Its got more than enough red flags to turn away an educated buyer. Encase the rust and dont draw too much attention to it and someone capable (or hilariously not) of dealing with its issues will buy it. I wouldn't think it too unethical unless you stated it was rust free and demanded a price that would reflect that false condition.

I think it boils down to asking price and claims in the fs ad for the most part.

leica posted:

Just buy a loving corolla/camry with your navy check and learn basic maintenance. Resist the urge to buy another basket case for the love of god.

This. "Boring" cars can still be a hoot to drive and you won't find yourself up shits creek without a paddle since maintenance on these are pretty simple. And please actually inspect your next purchase. Never take a PO's word on faith alone.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

I'm conflicted about doing something that evil straight out, but I think taking a can of Chassis Saver to it shows a best-faith effort and conceals the problem.

I used to have these feelings as well until my own grandpa sold me a car in the dark and lied about/concealed the rot and accidents it had been in. Realized selling a car brings out the scumbag in everyone and that's just the name of the game. I've only ever bough one car (from an enthusiast) where the previous owner was up front and honest about the condition and flaws with the car, but it helped that I took the time to read through his entire post history on multiple forums before trusting a thing he said. So basically what I'm saying is spray it and sell it, who gives a gently caress.

quote:

Universally accepted, but universally horrible advice. Corollas camrys civics etc are routinely beat to poo poo, neglected, and owned by teenagers and commuters who will drive it from A to B with zero maintenance until the wheels fall off. There's a long list of better, more interesting, and often better kept cars you can find for under 5k or whatever price range we're talking. Keep in mind these are words coming from someone who is telling OP to buy an e30, which is saying something. I'm not saying "don't buy a boring car," just "don't buy a civic, accord, camry, corolla, etc"

OP take your time and search for the right car. Try to find something with maintenance history that was enthusiast owned. Don't just spring for the first thing that catches your attention or you'll end up repeating the same error. Buy a naturally aspirated car without a motor swap. You know how most car ads have a list of modifications? You want one that doesn't have that list. One where the list is stuff like "____ replaced with oem parts at _____ miles" Since you said you're willing to travel... If you want to buy a kickin rad 80's car again go buy it in Seattle/Oregon/California because rust isn't an issue over here and it's probably the best used car market in north america for cool/unique older stuff anyways.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 23, 2015

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
oh jesus, this just popped up

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4859431844.html

this is a terrible loving idea

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
why? Because its unmolested?

goddamn that thing looks clean.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I would buy that for the asking price if it looks half as good as the pictures in real life, but yes it's a terrible idea for you to buy it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Battery tray doesn't look great, I'd start looking at every piece of metal that's tied in there. It's a common rust origin for nearly every car. Battery should have a better tie-down than that too, I bet.

Seats are pooched. Window seals in the front aren't great. Lap-only belts are dangerous as poo poo.

I'd take a screwdriver and tap all the red looking spots on the floorpan with the handle to see if there actually is "no rust." Bumper lip behind the fender looks kind of hinky, check the paint on that one to make sure it hasn't been tapped.

Otherwise I don't know much about those little cars. I want one though (there's a surprise, huh?)

"New carburetor" worries me a bit. Why'd he swap it? Hillrod fix?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 23, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oldass carbs don't play very nice with ethanol.

and the throttle shafts do wear out.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Battery tray doesn't look great, I'd start looking at every piece of metal that's tied in there. Battery should have a better tie-down than that too, I bet.

Seats are pooched. Window seals in the front aren't great. Lap-only belts are dangerous as poo poo.

I'd take a screwdriver and tap all the red looking spots on the floorpan to see if there actually is "no rust." Bumper lip behind the fender looks kind of hinky, check the paint on that one to make sure it hasn't been tapped.

Otherwise I don't know much about those little cars. I want one though (there's a surprise, huh?)

But... but... LOUVERS...

Or just tell him not to buy it because gently caress sourcing parts for a 1970 opel gt.

Upholstery is fixable or replaceable, seat foam/metal looks fine so the seats aren't hosed. Yep the car's a total deathtrap. I also suspect floorpan rust but it's not bad.

Seriously though, don't buy it, I have a friend who's in DEEP trying to fix up an opel gt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Oldass carbs don't play very nice with ethanol.

and the throttle shafts do wear out.

So the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump strainer needed to and should have been replaced. Wouldn't be surprised if the tank has nasty poo poo sitting around in it.

The carb gasket and intake manifold gaskets are probably pooched too.

edit: No plate. Is it unregisterable?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 23, 2015

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Professor Bling posted:

California Craigslist

Goddamnit look at all that sweet-rear end vintage Japanese metal. I am straight loving jealous of all of that poo poo. Texas has maybe 1/5th of that.

(still pretty rust free though)

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Realtalk suggestion: If you find a rust-free decent-paint 5speed e30 specifically a 325is, 325es, or 318es without the e30 tax seriously snap it up. As long as the shell/paint is good, there are only a small handful of jobs that sperglord couldn't be walked through, literally everything you could want to do to the car is incredibly well documented on the internet, there's a very loving good bentley manual available for the car. The entire value of the car is in the shell paint and interior. Sure parts costs can be a bit high for some things (though a new motor is literal pennies) but it really isn't bad compared to any other car that comes to mind when I think "rwd, 50/50 weight distribution or close, limited slip diff, manual." Other than the Miata I really can't think of any other car that fits that bill while also having literal babby level writeups for any job you could think of widely available on the internet. Plus you'll never outgrow it, because like the Miata basically every motor swap imaginable has been done before and documented.

Not to say it's a good suggestion, the chances of finding a good e30 that isn't taxed to poo poo in 2015 is pretty slim, but they do exist and you'd be a fool not to add 325is/325es/318is to your list of craigslist search terms. Friend of mine picked up a running 1989 325is 5sp with 7/10 paint and a 9/10 shell for $600 a few weeks ago, it happens.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 23, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
have you actually looked at the prices for e30s lately?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/4834541883.html

oh god this thing looks awesome.

I'll have to figure out a neat time where I can take a weekend and go to LA.

There's a startling lack of Miatas in okay shape around this area, tbh, at least on Craigslist.

Jesus Christ do not go to Lancaster, there's another car goon out there that can check it out for you if you're really interested. PM me and I'll talk to him.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

rscott posted:

have you actually looked at the prices for e30s lately?

Yeah but you can still find good ones for cheap if you filter through the poo poo. Sure a 325is will command top dollar, but it's not unreasonable to say he could find a 318is or 325es on the cheap, and they still get all the important sport package goodies. I'm constantly searching the west coast for e30's just to see what's out there and fairly priced good ones DO exist if you're patient.

edit: and also OP said he was willing to shop out of state, specifically in the land of (north american) cheap rust free e30s. If wa/oregon/cali are in the range you're willing to go to buy a car there's some really good ones up here.

e36 wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's not as good of a car by any metric but they can be had for cheap still.I

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HEY VAPER posted:

Universally accepted, but universally horrible advice. Corollas camrys civics etc are routinely beat to poo poo,

Yes, it is horrible advice to recommend a relatively dependable vehicle to learn how to work on cars what was I thinking!

OP have you considered Discos?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
P38 range rover.

That's horror.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

leica posted:

Yes, it is horrible advice to recommend a relatively dependable vehicle to learn how to work on cars what was I thinking!

You're right. 10 years ago. Have you seen the kind of condition a used corolla is in these days?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

I'll sell him a 96 F150 straight 6 5 spd 4x4 with 130k miles and a tranny he needs to drop in the next 10k miles for 2300. You can't get more straightforward than that.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's a terrible idea because you won't fit in it

You're too big, sailor.

Like, not being a dick, you literally will not fit in that car

(besides, you know that siren's song of quad carburetors is tugging at your heartstrings. The ad even conveniently shows you the kind of women you can expect to show a passing interest in you! it's perfect)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Plinkey posted:

I'll sell him a 96 F150 straight 6 5 spd 4x4 with 130k miles and a tranny he needs to drop in the next 10k miles for 2300. You can't get more straightforward than that.

OP buy this man's truck asap.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

leica posted:

OP buy this man's truck asap.

I agree this sounds like a solid plan and trucks are useful as gently caress. Gas prices are pretty low right now!
Half the reason I suggested an e30 is because OP literally can't gently caress up an iron block i6. Once the transmission is sorted, I don't think OP could possibly gently caress anything up on that truck, it really doesn't get much simpler than a s6 manual f150.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 23, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Just to drive the point home how boring and unfun you would be to buy a camry, here's some e30's you can buy today for the price of a 90's camry or less, most of them 5speeds. I'm sure at least one of them's rust free!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4858921704.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4856367373.html
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4859048219.html I like how he has how the car is stored pictured
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4857936770.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4852055925.html easy fix if PO isn't lying, and this one has an LSD, slight chance it's a 4.10 too...
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4855436436.html who gives a gently caress about seats you want sport seats anyways, this one looks v good
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4857604177.html pro tier 5 speed swap candidate, plastic bumper 325i for 2k asking
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4852985443.html comedy 600 dollar with a promisinglooking shell that doesn't run
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4857359969.html bet this guy would take 3500, kind of on the high side but manual ix's are p cool. we'll call this one 1999 camry territory

And one I wish I could buy that's probably way too expensive http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4847230739.html

Here's one for an automatic convertible without any pictures. Plus he'll trade for Guns / rolex / men's gold/ silver / watches / cars / motorcycles / possibly cocaine http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4838279667.html

And here's one more up Sperglord's alley, a motor swap with issues, 3 different wheels including fake bbs's, and other mysteries!
http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/cto/4813577640.html

Or, you know,

(that one's actually 5.5 thousand dollars, but I'm beginning to question if it really has "lather" seats like the ad claims)

edit: oh I also found a broken electric vehicle converted e30 for 2 thousand dollars!!!1 http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4842970774.html

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 23, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The first three are poverty spec etas or an automatic convertible, literally the least desirable e30s besides the other one you linked, an m10 318i! Sport seats in good condition can easily run $200 each. Medium case LSDs run $400. Quite a few of those cars wouldn't make the trek back to Chicago in their current condition, so add another $800-$1k to get out trailered home (better hope the driver isn't tweaked out and doesn't gently caress your car up!), or pay someone out there to fix it who has you over a barrel.

Come on dude I know this is AI but let's be realistic given the course of this thread so far.

e: literally every e30 ad with that mentions leather seats actually has vinyl, sooooooo

e2: If you have your heart set on an e30 and you're going to buy one of the ones listed this one is probably the best: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4857604177.html since it's the only one I would trust you to drive home

e3: Figure another $600 in parts+labor to replace the timing belt, water pump and the rest of the cooling system on any e30 you buy that doesn't have receipts showing it was replaced in the last 5 years/60k miles, read the bmw thread to figure out why

rscott fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 23, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Why not just get a cheap generic shitbox to learn to work on instead of PO hosed rusted out nightmares?

Because it might mean he can spend more time driving the car instead of working on it. Knowing for example if I break an axle I can get another for $30-50 is easy insurance to drive the piss out of the car. Having several examples of a vehicle at junkyards is insanely helpful. Not having to give a poo poo about dings or scuffs here and there is wonderful.

Maybe it's some dumb internet car board meme but the advice "The most important part in a car is the nut behind the wheel." seems to be on target.

It's all subjective though and a lot of people want a car for image instead of utility. Watching a beat up bright orange rattlecanned FB RX7 show up at the AutoX sounding mad as hell is a pretty cool image though.

Fantastic website about a guy who rallies of all things a na dodge neon: rallynotes.com

HEY VAPER posted:

You're right. 10 years ago. Have you seen the kind of condition a used corolla is in these days?

Much like any common used car there are good examples and bad examples.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 23, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think he needs a eg Civic. Simple car and a decent one can be had for 4k.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Extra posted:

What do you think an 80s corolla will do you for you that a miata won't other than anime?

To be fair there are Miatas in Initial D as well. This guy should probably buy 1 of the following though;

1. Some boat with a 3800 (Conversely one of the F-body 3800s, they came available with Manual Transmissions)
2. Civrolltegrage, because those have Manual transmissions as well.
3. Camry, Accord.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

BrokenKnucklez posted:

P38 range rover.

That's horror.

:unsmigghh:

Please OP, for the good of AI comedy

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pretty much having a trunk.

Good news, the Miata has one of those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good news, the Miata has one of those.

It's better than most people give it credit for. You should see something that's truly dire like the MR-S.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Miata is actually decently practical and can be a good DD.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Come buy my Miata. It's rust free and needs someone to work on it more than I do.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Extra posted:

Because it might mean he can spend more time driving the car instead of working on it. Knowing for example if I break an axle I can get another for $30-50 is easy insurance to drive the piss out of the car. Having several examples of a vehicle at junkyards is insanely helpful. Not having to give a poo poo about dings or scuffs here and there is wonderful.

Maybe it's some dumb internet car board meme but the advice "The most important part in a car is the nut behind the wheel." seems to be on target.

It's all subjective though and a lot of people want a car for image instead of utility. Watching a beat up bright orange rattlecanned FB RX7 show up at the AutoX sounding mad as hell is a pretty cool image though.

Fantastic website about a guy who rallies of all things a na dodge neon: rallynotes.com

Much like any common used car there are good examples and bad examples.

Neons dominate the local dirt circle track because you can just leave them in second gear. Somebody tried to compete with a team of b18 integras but they got shat on because they actually had to change gears.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ shut up. He needs an E30 like he needs a hole in his loving head.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I can't offer any car advice, but I never got around to saying good on you for actually finally getting up and doing something to the car even if it turned out to be rotten in the end. If you learnt something it's never a waste of time, just a waste of money. :v:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've read this whole thread. drat.

So, I share your love for late 80's Japanese cars and especially anything with LOUVERS. I'm in NCentral Indiana and have the same problem looking at cars in this vintage - they're eaten to hell and back by rust.

Instead of flying thousands of miles away to get a relatively rot-free ride (which isn't a bad idea, just a time/money investment), you should think about something more simple like driving to Southern Illinois/Kentucky. They get WAY less snow/ice and use a lot less salt on their roads. YES, you will still find rusty cars but they will be an order of magnitude cleaner than most things you can find around here.

Plus it's a hell of a lot easier to get a friend involved in an 8hr roadtrip than a 4 day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I was actually tempted to look at those, yeah.

Already found a Starion, which I know will give me the exact same feeling of "oh god the everything isn't working" without (hopefully) the soul-crushing despair of finding out that it's a rusted-out hulk!

http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/4857573648.html

I also have a soft spot in my heart for RX-7's, since I think they're neat.

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/4844583842.html

If I wanted a REAL super projecty car, I could get this and put it back together.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/4806558539.html

Also, RX7 Turbo right in my price range.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4858813281.html

• Locked thread