Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

judge reinhold posted:

What's with the catheter ads? Is there a lot of cross-section in the wrestling community and catheter users? Are there catheter users out there who, despite having something that would presumably be a big part of their life, not know that disposable catheters exist?

Catheter ads seem to run on the lowest tier programming imaginable so I'm guessing that's why. I used to watch a lot of GSN at 3 AM and I learned everything I needed to know about catheters. Wrestling ad rates are really cheap so with it comes catheters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling ad rates are really cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6j8POzbyc0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Were wrestling ad-rates always really cheap or was that a result of raunchy/offensive Attitude-era writing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Were wrestling ad-rates always really cheap or was that a result of raunchy/offensive Attitude-era writing?

I think it's always been that way. A combination of perception/truth that wrestling fans don't have a lot of money, wrestling programming being cheap for the stations so not needing much ad money to turn a profit, and promotions traditionally making their money from live events and PPVs advertised by the show, not the TV show itself.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think it was Rock Bottom 98 or Royal Rumble 99 where they announced that some lady had won a competition where the prize was a Stone Cold Steve Austin truck and JR said "that will look really great outside her trailer" and I have no idea if he was being serious or not

E: Actually I can't be remembering it 100% right, JR was out of action at that time

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 22, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alain Post posted:

Pretty much. Wrestling promoters used to trade their tapes for air time or the tape and a cut of the gate. When promoters started outright paying for time they relied on their live events to cover it (and in the old days they would.) In the 80s when Bill Watts bought a syndication network for the UWF he was doing tremendous ratings but the cost of it was too much, he couldn't make the kind of money he needed to cover it. Vince couldn't sustain his syndication network in the mid 90s (before the Attitude era) and the cost of TV is what killed SMW as well.

Nero42
Oct 9, 2012
So hey, this story was briefly included in today's news observer news update but now it's gone. No one else seems to have seen it so I seem like a madman but I took a screencap!

Here's the "story" it gave the link to:
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-news/wrestling-great-booker-t-performs-spectacular-citizen-arrest-during-armed-robbery/

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

that's true

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a demographic breakdown showing that among the wrestling TV audience, the % of people who are uneducated and make like $30k was so much higher than for other shows. If they didn't have such good overall ratings (compared to the rest of cable TV), I doubt their ad rates would be worth anything at all because advertisers don't see value in their audience.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I want that Booker T story to be real so bad

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

if that story were real booker t would be my new favorite wrestler

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
that is exactly why I want it to be true

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be a hell of a coincidence considering when he did time it was for armed robbery of a Wendy's (that he worked at).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cardboard Box posted:

if that story were real booker t would be my new favorite wrestler

Good news, it's real

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
It's real, and it's spectacular

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-news/wrestling-great-booker-t-performs-spectacular-citizen-arrest-during-armed-robbery/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It'd be a hell of a coincidence considering when he did time it was for armed robbery of a Wendy's (that he worked at).

Who robs their own workplace?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'm pretty sure that's an onion-type "newspaper".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who robs their own workplace?

It gets better: He was still in uniform from his shift during the robbery.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah it's fake

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you wanna hear about Matt Sydal tripping balls in the Amazon then this week's AoW is your podcast.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

hosed up if true*

*that Booker would eat at a Mcdonalds. He's clearly a Sonic man.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

njsykora posted:

If you wanna hear about Matt Sydal tripping balls in the Amazon then this week's AoW is your podcast.

Next time you see him take a big boot, remember that it looks so good because he has superpowers that let him see it coming and sell better.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 23, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

super macho dude posted:

hosed up if true*

*that Booker would eat at a Mcdonalds. He's clearly a Sonic man.

Beau James has the hookup

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

He said "Can you dig it, Sucka?" and them everybody stood up and clapped

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

They did not clap they did this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

LordPants posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an onion-type "newspaper".
Is it wrong I wanted it to be true so badly that I didn't bother thinking?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

The gunman turned out to be Albert Einstein

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Good news, it's real

booker t is my new favorite wrestler

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah it's fake

never mind

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dario the Wop posted:

Is it wrong I wanted it to be true so badly that I didn't bother thinking?

Not at all.

I'm kinda annoyed someone said "hey did you see the fake booker t thing" before I read it so I didn't even get the chance.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Booker T axe kicked him and a bald eagle named Small Government landed on the American flag and shed a single tear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I can report the Booker T thing is real.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Alain Post posted:

Classy wrestling is the best wrestling

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you want to skip out on Jim Cornette being racist, skip to 40 minutes in for his podcast this week.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

If you want to skip out on Jim Cornette being racist, skip to 40 minutes in for his podcast this week.

the problem with being a smug atheist and generalizing religious believers is you end up invariably making racist comments.

Dear Jim Cornette: Stop being a smug atheist. You say a lot of smart, on point poo poo but the charlie hebdo thing is such a can of worms, you can't sort it out in a 4 minute rant.

Les Thatcher is a great interview tho.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is Jericho's interview with Lanny Poffo of any value?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I love listening to Jim Cornette talk about wrestling. It's when he starts talking politics that I start losing interest.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I haven't listened to Austin in a long time, did he ever get around to actually watching good wrestling and talking about it eg nxt or njpw or no

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

epitasis posted:

I haven't listened to Austin in a long time, did he ever get around to actually watching good wrestling and talking about it eg nxt or njpw or no

I'm not sure what the deal is but he hasn't done an interview with someone new in quite a while.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coconono posted:

I'm not sure what the deal is but he hasn't done an interview with someone new in quite a while.

I thought he was filming TV again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

coconono posted:

He said the reason he played Heyman is because like three people backed out on him.

• Locked thread