Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sardonik posted:

According to gamesutra: It runs until this coming Sunday

I only found out about it because a steam friend told me, they didn't quite promote it.

They do have a nice website up for it though:
http://endless-day.com/

Dang that is not a whole lot of time to complete two longish games and one shortish one, although on the Agenda page on that website it kinda sounds like you only need to play them at all during the period to unlock the content (which I think is just the Emlek Tarosh character/questlines):

quote:

A mysterious event is starting today. Play Endless Legend, Dungeon of the Endless and Endless Space before Sunday, January 25 to discover and permanently unlock exclusive content in each game.

Here's hoping. Actually, this reminds me of a favorite little thing in Endless Space and Legend - the right mouse button always backs you out of any menu you're in. When you're jumping between lots of pages of numbers and cities it's very convenient to be able to go back one level without having to find the tiny X and move the cursor over there. I find myself doing this in Civ and being annoyed it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I've been bitching about Gat Out of Hell in the Dragging Down thread, but for every gripe there's something tiny and amazing about it. Daniel Dae Kim's voice work is fantastically sociopathic, flying feels AMAZING (once you get used to it), and possibly the littlest thing of all: in an area with a chainlink fence, when you touch down near it or Stomp the ground near it, either way, it rattles like a real chainlink fence does. It made me so happy :kimchi:

I'm really enjoying playing as Kinzie too. I wasn't crazy about her in previous games (in 3 she seemed like pandering nerd bait what with being an oversexed hacker grrrl and in 4 every exchange with her was just a line of :techno: followed by her explaining it to the Boss when they don't understand) but it's fun to have her giggling and yelling when you hit a speed boost while flying after a while of stomping around as Johnny Gat.

Also one thing they really did right is they cranked the encounter rate of random events up really high. I never did 100% SR3 because having to run around on foot for 5 to 10 minutes to have the random events trigger was tedious as hell, in GooH you run into armored cars and Dex constantly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I think my favorite part about Gat out of Hell is that all the non-demon cars are rusty shitbuckets. It's a touch they actually explain in sort of an understated way, too, with a billboard advertising one of them with the slogan 'when life gives you lemons, drive it'; so it's not an entropic decline, the land of eternal torment just doesn't make good cars.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sleeveless posted:

I'm really enjoying playing as Kinzie too. I wasn't crazy about her in previous games (in 3 she seemed like pandering nerd bait what with being an oversexed hacker grrrl and in 4 every exchange with her was just a line of :techno: followed by her explaining it to the Boss when they don't understand) but it's fun to have her giggling and yelling when you hit a speed boost while flying after a while of stomping around as Johnny Gat.

I agree with you on SR3, but I liked her in SR4, the way she and the boss were just deliberately annoying each other. And my favourite bit in GOoH (so far) is the dialogue you get playing as Kinzie when you recruit the DeWynters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chard posted:

Dang that is not a whole lot of time to complete two longish games and one shortish one, although on the Agenda page on that website it kinda sounds like you only need to play them at all during the period to unlock the content (which I think is just the Emlek Tarosh character/questlines):

I'm not sure if there's more to it in Endless Space aside from being able to hire the guy (at a glance he doesn't seem to have anything special except maybe higher than normal Wits?), a special empire-wide buff effect tied to the event, and the associated achievement.

For Dungeon of the Endless, he's currently available by default and you just need to run him through three floors to permanently unlock him, which is pretty straightforward.

I don't own Endless Legend, but from what I've gleaned you just need to complete his associated quest and/or beat him + recruit him to have him unlocked.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fizbin posted:

You can actually just Alt+F4 whenever; it'll save and close out. It won't give you a "you may have lost progress by not saving" pop-up, unless you do it during a load screen.

I may be wrong, but I think by doing that your character stays "logged in" for a while after you quit. So there's the teeny tiny chance someone could invade you in that short period and kill you, then when you loaded you'd be back at a bonfire with no souls and no idea why.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Chard posted:

Yeah and you can cheese all of them in various ways. Dungeon of the Endless took me the longest because you can't cheese it as hard as the others, but if you can reliably complete it on the easiest difficulty, it's not so bad. Especially if you beeline straight for the exit every time you find it (this can be risky, had some real close calls).

Endless Legend's can be completed in 30 turns or so, just need to investigate a bunch of ruins and then fight a dude who can be killed by your starting units. Just use a big map with only 1 dumb ai opponent so it doesn't get in the way.

Endless Space's is a bit more difficult in that you have to beat the game on the highest difficulty, but this can still be done quickly by making a custom faction with literally every negative trait, and zero redeeming qualities, and making it the only AI to beat on a tiny map.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure if there's more to it in Endless Space aside from being able to hire the guy (at a glance he doesn't seem to have anything special except maybe higher than normal Wits?), a special empire-wide buff effect tied to the event, and the associated achievement.
Yeah didn't seem too special there, but you have to win the game on endless for the 'chieve.

quote:

For Dungeon of the Endless, he's currently available by default and you just need to run him through three floors to permanently unlock him, which is pretty straightforward.
To unlock him, but I think there's going to be more content down the line for those that beat the game with him and get the achievement.

quote:

I don't own Endless Legend, but from what I've gleaned you just need to complete his associated quest and/or beat him + recruit him to have him unlocked.
Yeah pretty much exactly here.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jan 23, 2015

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Tiggum posted:

I agree with you on SR3, but I liked her in SR4, the way she and the boss were just deliberately annoying each other. And my favourite bit in GOoH (so far) is the dialogue you get playing as Kinzie when you recruit the DeWynters.

The DeWynter sisters are just great characters in general. Although I'm not so sure casting Ashly Burch as them was the best idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The DeWynter sisters are just great characters in general. Although I'm not so sure casting Ashly Burch as them was the best idea.

Uh... they're voiced by Sasha Grey.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Chard posted:

I think you have to do the thing, but the Endless Legend community page has an official FAQ:

quote:

OMG, IT’S JANUARY 26th
Solution
* Don’t hurt us.
* What’s fun about technology is that you can mess with it. It’s easy: just go back in time.

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!
In the era of seemingly endless super gritty, dramatic games, Saint's Row has become my shiny beacon of little things to enjoy. My boyfriend and I are playing Gat Out of Hell right now, and as awesome as zooming around Hell on angel wings and the various super powers are, it's the little things that really make my heart smile.

Seriously, once you soup these things up, you never want to get out of them.

PeachHat! has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jan 23, 2015

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In SR TT, yes. In GOoH, it's Ash. The change is really clear... Then again I watch HAWP all the time.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In SR TT, yes. In GOoH, it's Ash. The change is really clear... Then again I watch HAWP all the time.

All the credits I've seen seem to list Ash as just playing Kiki while Sasha Grey is still Viola.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Captain McStabbin posted:

All the credits I've seen seem to list Ash as just playing Kiki while Sasha Grey is still Viola.

I may be wrong :) both sound like Ash to me.

On other GOoH topics, the Soft Shoe achievement made me laugh. Spend ten seconds in lava without dying. Johnny was not happy about doing it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I may be wrong :) both sound like Ash to me.

On other GOoH topics, the Soft Shoe achievement made me laugh. Spend ten seconds in lava without dying. Johnny was not happy about doing it.

There's also an achievement for dying in lava and they went to the trouble of giving you a Terminator 2 death animation for sinking into the lava. And if you fly through the little lavafalls pouring off of floating islands you catch on fire and there's even an achievement for doing it often enough.

Most of the achievements are pretty good (my favorite little one is one for banging your head on the ceiling when wall-running), the only exception being one for shooting down a spire's missile that you can permanently miss out on if you destroy all the spires without getting it first.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In Dungeon Keeper when Hounds are possessed their vision is black and white because they're dogs.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When your oxygen points in Everblue 2 go under 60 (out of 200), the diver's breathing starts sounding shallow and desperate. Which really helps the atmosphere, considering that the only time that's happened to me was when I got lost in the underwater temple/cruise ship/submarine and was desperately trying to find the exit before my oxygen ran out.

There really should be more underwater games.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In SR3, Viola is Sasha Grey and Kiki is Megan Hollingshead. In GOoh Kiki is Ashly Burch but Viola is still Sasha Grey. Here's the full cast (includes character spoilers, obviously).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sleeveless posted:

There's also an achievement for dying in lava and they went to the trouble of giving you a Terminator 2 death animation for sinking into the lava.

With a different hand gesture every time you do it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I discovered Saint's Row games with 4 during the xmas sale. I've kind of gone nuts on it, gotten some DLC's, and played the 3rd (which I didn't like nearly as much). I need to get 2, I hear there's a good mod to make it run on the PC?

In SR4, I really like how Nolan North is almost like his own extra personality injected into the game. He's like 70% The Boss and 30% Nolan North - you get the feeling he was really having fun with it. He's just talking trash while you're blowing things up, and every so often, "That's how NOLAN ROLLS!"

I want GOoH so bad, but all I keep hearing is how short it is. Some reviews are like, "It's an expansion, what do you expect?!", but I don't actually remember the last time I spent more than $20 on any complete game in the last few years.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't say I honestly enjoyed any of the Saint's Row game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

I want GOoH so bad, but all I keep hearing is how short it is. Some reviews are like, "It's an expansion, what do you expect?!", but I don't actually remember the last time I spent more than $20 on any complete game in the last few years.

I preordrered it from gamestop's website for $5, and if I were you I would wait until it goes to :10bux: or less.

Captain Lavender posted:

I discovered Saint's Row games with 4 during the xmas sale. I've kind of gone nuts on it, gotten some DLC's, and played the 3rd (which I didn't like nearly as much). I need to get 2, I hear there's a good mod to make it run on the PC?

Yeah, that's Gentlemen of the Row. It's an amazing mod, and the guy who made it is so good at making stuff in saint's row games that they hired him. Also he's a goon. You can PM me if you want to know more about 2 if you want.

For content, in Gentlemen of the Row, there is a big "MALL" placed on the map where the normally very hard to find mall is. Seriously, I would never have found that thing if a mission didn't take place there.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Can we talk for a minute about how goddamn incredible Bayonetta 2 is? I just beat the game and unlocked the Samus costume, and that thing is a goldmine of awesome little things- the morph ball, Samus' laser cannon replacing Bayonetta's pistols, even the way Bayonetta jumps and double jumps is changed as a nod to Samus.
:sparkles:Bayonetta 2 really is the best.:sparkles:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I can't say I honestly enjoyed any of the Saint's Row game.

thanx 4 letting us know

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

How long it is depends on whether you're counting just what you need to do to finish the story or if you're counting all the other stuff you can do. You advance the story by doing activities and targets, but at the point that the final mission becomes available you'll still have a ton of stuff left to do, even if you don't count all the collectables and stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Captain Lavender posted:

For what it's worth, I think that I enjoy the base mechanics of GOoH more than IV. The flight and the new powers are all really nice, the weapons are all pretty great (I just discovered the glorious combination of the armchair with guns and the Tower Summon power; the laziest massacre in the world), and the demons just seem more generally fun to fight than the aliens.

It's not perfect, and IV's definitely a more complete package, but it's solid enough that I'd say it's worth $20 if you really enjoy the idea of just loving around as a superhero in Hell, and you'd like to do that for a few hours without any real direction. If you're someone like me who needs some sort of story or completion to sink your teeth into, maybe not so much.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jan 24, 2015

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
One little thing I loved in GOoH is when you recruit the DeWynter sisters their backstory explains that after trying to set up their underworld empire they were bought out by Ultor and accepted its offer because "Owning one fifth of something is better than owning none of it."

They make the exact same proposition to the Saints in Saints Row The Third.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Celery Face posted:

When your oxygen points in Everblue 2 go under 60 (out of 200), the diver's breathing starts sounding shallow and desperate. Which really helps the atmosphere, considering that the only time that's happened to me was when I got lost in the underwater temple/cruise ship/submarine and was desperately trying to find the exit before my oxygen ran out.

The Metro games do this as well when your filter is starting to fail.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

JebanyPedal posted:

The Metro games do this as well when your filter is starting to fail.

Far Cry 4 has a similar screen shrinking and dimming when you're underwater and it's terrifying.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Celery Face posted:

Depth.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Metro, already mentioned, was horrible for that. They nailed the "suffocating inside your own gas mask" sound effects creepily well. Could practically feel the relief when you changed your filter.

Shyrka posted:

One little thing I loved in GOoH is when you recruit the DeWynter sisters their backstory explains that after trying to set up their underworld empire they were bought out by Ultor and accepted its offer because "Owning one fifth of something is better than owning none of it."

They make the exact same proposition to the Saints in Saints Row The Third.

It's even the exact same chart. :haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Do note that SR2 is a very different beast to 3 and 4. It's still quite good but it's... like the parts of 3 that aren't like 4, really. It's much more grounded in reality and hardcore gangsta grit, but still lets you do fun stuff for the hell of it and face the hardcore gangsta grit in a hotdog suit.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Saints Row 2 let me walk around with a pimp cane shotgun while completely nude and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Evil Badman posted:

Far Cry 4 has a similar screen shrinking and dimming when you're underwater and it's terrifying.

One of the most terrifying underwater transitions is in Dear Esther.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Saints Row 2 let me walk around with a pimp cane shotgun while completely nude and for that I will be eternally grateful.

The muthafuckin' pimp walk animation when you equip the shotgun :vince:

SR 2 had hands down the best customization in the whole series, I don't get how that works. But it let me run around rail-thin with a terrifying manic lunatic facial expression while dressed like a 50's race car driver in a purple and white jumpsuit emblazoned with a giant purple pot leaf across its back. That's not really a little thing, I guess. But goddamn, I still load it up just for wandering, dress up, and random pimp murdering sprees.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Honestly my favorite part of Saints Row 2 is that it really nailed creating a world that reacted to just how insane the boss is. Escorting drug shipments in an attack helicopter and all the enemies on the ground yelling in disbelief as one of the more minor incidents.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ArchRanger posted:

Honestly my favorite part of Saints Row 2 is that it really nailed creating a world that reacted to just how insane the boss is. Escorting drug shipments in an attack helicopter and all the enemies on the ground yelling in disbelief as one of the more minor incidents.

I think SR2 really kind of nailed the tone of it all. The Boss is just an outright bad guy and the world is pretty crazy but it never felt like it was trying too hard to one up itself and every other game in the genre at every turn. Don't get me wrong, I still really like Saints Row 3 and 4 but I did feel as though they were trying too hard at points.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tracula posted:

I think SR2 really kind of nailed the tone of it all. The Boss is just an outright bad guy and the world is pretty crazy but it never felt like it was trying too hard to one up itself and every other game in the genre at every turn. Don't get me wrong, I still really like Saints Row 3 and 4 but I did feel as though they were trying too hard at points.

Yeah, it felt like it almost wasn't aware of the madness you could create. From SR3 on, it was too self-referrential, encouraging you to make a dumb character.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

SR 2 had hands down the best customization in the whole series, I don't get how that works.

It was running on a different engine that let them do things like have clothing sorted by layers and let you customize it with decals. That's also why the city in SR2 feels more alive and reactive, that and they had an entire development cycle to add on to the city from the first game.

3 was made on an entirely new engine and was also made while THQ was in its death throes, reading the behind-the-scenes drama it's amazing 3 was ever as good as it was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Lavender posted:

You may need something called SR2 Powertools as well if it runs at an unnaturally fast rate - this allows you to throttle it back to a playable state if you find yourself zooming around in fast-forward.