Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

al-azad posted:

even 3rd Birthday

I tried playing this a few months back and honestly it wasn't that bad, it had some interesting mechanics and a few problems some of which came from it being on a portable console.
Then I came to the pedophile and just quit. From what I've seen it could have been an interesting game if they removed the skeevy stuff and the Parasite Eve connection. Is it really worth playing through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was vaguely ok when I was playing in Japanese and not bothering to read anything but it gets pretty repetitive. Most of the guns aren't very interesting, either.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
So i don't understand how I'm supposed to use the guns in Parasite Eve: apparently every gun uses the same kind of ammo, and I have 3 different pistols and two assault rifles, so is there any reason to use any other gun than the most powerful available? I started using one of the handguns in basic encounters and then planned on using the assault rifle in boss fights, but is there any reason? Should i just Rambo the poo poo up? :jihad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

So i don't understand how I'm supposed to use the guns in Parasite Eve: apparently every gun uses the same kind of ammo, and I have 3 different pistols and two assault rifles, so is there any reason to use any other gun than the most powerful available? I started using one of the handguns in basic encounters and then planned on using the assault rifle in boss fights, but is there any reason? Should i just Rambo the poo poo up? :jihad:

You want to use a gun that:

A) Has between 2-3 shots
B) Has a fast ATB
C) Has a good number of skill slots.

You don't need to swap guns up. Think of them more just like customizable tools rather than individual strengths/weaknesses. You can make an assault rifle that works like a shotgun if you want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Pick a gun, shove all your stat ups into it, copy them over to the next good gun of that type with a tool, repeat. That gun should probably be a machine gun. The base stats on the weapons don't matter much when machine guns are so much faster than anything else.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Okay, thank you.

But oh boy oh boy, this game. It's like a shoddy japanese hollywood-esque supernatural monster disaster version of Lethal Weapon with bad translation and ludicrous decisions my different characters, like Ayay actually getting in on the horse carriage when a flying monster invites her and then the horse is on fire. Didn't know what to expect but this sure is weird.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It helps that it was adapted from a novel first. I hear that boosts the shoddiness levels by twice as much.

Also did you know that the Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

HGH posted:

It helps that it was adapted from a novel first. I hear that boosts the shoddiness levels by twice as much.

Also did you know that the Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

The original Metal Gear Solid already confused me enough in the high school biology classes. I don't need this!

Also is it a good novel? Why, of all things, Square decide to get the story from some sci-fi book?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Parasite Eve the game is a sequel of sorts to Parasite Eve the novel. The situation Maeda talks about at one point is a super condensed summary of the novel. They sort of go their own way after the first game, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

The original Metal Gear Solid already confused me enough in the high school biology classes. I don't need this!

Also is it a good novel? Why, of all things, Square decide to get the story from some sci-fi book?

PE was just a trial run of the FMV engine from FF8. I guess Sakaguchi or Nomura liked the book and eventually they decided that they better make some money off all the time they spent making the cutscenes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Parasite Eve the game is a sequel of sorts to Parasite Eve the novel. The situation Maeda talks about at one point is a super condensed summary of the novel. They sort of go their own way after the first game, though.

And as someone who's read the book: PE1 the game is probably the best use of that license, because HOO BOY does that novel go some hosed up places.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

And as someone who's read the book: PE1 the game is probably the best use of that license, because HOO BOY does that novel go some hosed up places.

Is it worth reading? Found a pdf. of it

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's trashy Japanese sci-fi, so, only you know if that's a genre you're willing to sit through.

Also the opening third is rather poorly paced from memory.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I remember from the book is Eve being a jelly monster that has sex with the main character to steal his semen to make the Ultimate Being, and then dying from some arbitrary biological reason at the end of the book.

Also the main character's wife was basically taken over by Eve and was made to like the main character from her interference (it explicitly mentions how it made her orgasms infinitely better having sex with him) and then forces the woman to get in a car wreck, to which the husband takes some of her cells in a petri dish for them to grow or some poo poo.

Book's loving weird.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gee, those kind of sound like massive spoilers for a book someone was just explicitly saying they might read.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Gee, those kind of sound like massive spoilers for a book someone was just explicitly saying they might read.

That's pretty much all stated in the game.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It's trashy Japanese sci-fi, so, only you know if that's a genre you're willing to sit through.

Also the opening third is rather poorly paced from memory.

Phantasium posted:

All I remember from the book is Eve being a jelly monster that has sex with the main character to steal his semen to make the Ultimate Being, and then dying from some arbitrary biological reason at the end of the book.

Also the main character's wife was basically taken over by Eve and was made to like the main character from her interference (it explicitly mentions how it made her orgasms infinitely better having sex with him) and then forces the woman to get in a car wreck, to which the husband takes some of her cells in a petri dish for them to grow or some poo poo.

Book's loving weird.

Welp, thanks for saving my time. i don't think i would want to read a book like that.

Would be kinda funny though to have an RPG made out of an really good classic book, like Heart of Darkness. Would get a real nice pre-rendered background of those heads on spikes. :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Sorry, I missed that post entirely.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Maybe it's just me, but I expect all my Japanese Sci-Fi books to involve quiverng gelatenous monsters stealing semen to give birth to an ULTIMATE EVIL.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

PE2 has neither of those, so I don't know what you're on about. What it does have is some of the best feeling guns on the system and it isn't afraid to let you use them.

Not random in the way the first game is but enemies will respawning or appear in rooms you've already cleared. And there's certainly a level up system with your powers.

If I was making comparisons I'd call PE2 the Dino Crisis 2 to the original. It's bigger and louder but the story is hella stupid. The only thing memorable was the big baby boss but none of the locations of set pieces were as creepy or interesting as PE1. That game had balls.

PE2 also has really arbitrary requirements to get its not bad end. I'm talking you can gently caress up at like 6 different points from 1/3 game on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

waah posted:

quiverng gelatenous monsters stealing semen to give birth to an ULTIMATE EVIL.
but enough about my ex-wife

Vakal
May 11, 2008

waah posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I expect all my Japanese Sci-Fi books to involve quiverng gelatenous monsters stealing semen to give birth to an ULTIMATE EVIL.

Not strictly a Japanese thing. Play through F.E.A.R 2 if you want to see that poo poo go down in first person view.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
For a race of people that don't bang each other the japanese sure are worried about spermjacking.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
they're saving up all their sperm so that they can unleash it on the world and wipe out the gaijins

:gizz::japan:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

For a race of people that don't bang each other the japanese sure are worried about spermjacking.

It makes a kind of sense though as Japan has long battled with population decline. The plot of Catherine is that men who aren't settling down to create a family are cursed to die including an mtf transvestite because she had sex with a guy who could be making babies.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

It makes a kind of sense though as Japan has long battled with population decline. The plot of Catherine is that men who aren't settling down to create a family are cursed to die including an mtf transvestite because she had sex with a guy who could be making babies.

I had thought that that certain character was the only one who did NOT get cursed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

transvestite and transsexual are two different things

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I had thought that that certain character was the only one who did NOT get cursed

On the last day they mention having the first stage of the nightmare. The curse specifically infects any man who prevents a relationship from resulting in children whether its adultery, procrastination, or in Erica's case having sex with Toby.

e: I blame my phone's autofill for my transgressions.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 23, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So yeah almost beat Chrono Trigger I'm at the part where I can fight Lavos, but it is better to complete a bunch of sidequests in the world first.

The game has been very enjoyable. It isn't the best JRPG ever to me, but I can see why some may think it is. It's crazy how well this game has aged. One could call it the first modern JRPG due to how its paced and presented.

Seems that after 3 times of trying, I'll finally be able to beat this game.

EDIT - Also I'm playing the game on Higan and I'm surprised how accurate it seems. The game looks incredible.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Thanks for the heads up about Growlanser, it's pretty cool so far even if Randall's massive pink boa is distracting.

Chrono Trigger would be a lot better without the clunky attempts at timing/action sequences in battle. It's kinda clunky but admirable for a snes rpg.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

punk rebel ecks posted:

So yeah almost beat Chrono Trigger I'm at the part where I can fight Lavos, but it is better to complete a bunch of sidequests in the world first.

The game has been very enjoyable. It isn't the best JRPG ever to me, but I can see why some may think it is. It's crazy how well this game has aged. One could call it the first modern JRPG due to how its paced and presented.

Seems that after 3 times of trying, I'll finally be able to beat this game.

EDIT - Also I'm playing the game on Higan and I'm surprised how accurate it seems. The game looks incredible.

Chrono Trigger is really a fantastic RPG for primarily its actual gameplay, which is a nice plus. Yeah, the characters are charming and simple and the plot is also charming and simple, but the game itself is what draws you in, and it's got a fantastic combat system and a sprite-based art style that endures to this day. Both Chrono Chross and Chrono Trigger are well-made games, but Trigger benefits from basically being a "complete" game, whereas Cross had too many ideas to ever be finished, and thus had to cut some grand ambitions and come out weaker as the result.

Also Crono uses a sick rear end sword and katanas are awesome and I liked it when you kill the tank by slicing its loving back open with your goddamn samurai sword and those cool 16-bit lightning effects!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chrono Trigger definitely has my favorite 16-bit pixel art. When I first played the game I thought it looked like a painting. The courtroom scene is unforgettable, I can't ever remember a game that made me want to restart from the beginning so I could change the verdict (even though you can't change the verdict).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Chrono Trigger definitely has my favorite 16-bit pixel art. When I first played the game I thought it looked like a painting. The courtroom scene is unforgettable, I can't ever remember a game that made me want to restart from the beginning so I could change the verdict (even though you can't change the verdict).

Yeah you can, the Chancellor just gets extra-judicial on you afterwards

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The graphics are insane. It looks better than some 2D Playstation games.

I'm more impressed by some of the enemies, especially the bosses.

It's sad that this game didn't blowup in the West.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's sad that this game didn't blowup in the West.

Uh...are you thinking of a different chrono game?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well Chrono Trigger never made it to Europe I believe. Same way Terranigma never made it to the US (I'm not comparing the games though).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The DS and phone versions of Chrono Trigger made it to Europe but the SNES and PS1 versions didn't.
Super Mario RPG also didn't make it to Europe until the Wii Virtual Console.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The DS and phone versions of Chrono Trigger made it to Europe but the SNES and PS1 versions didn't.
Super Mario RPG also didn't make it to Europe until the Wii Virtual Console.

I remember my friend having a pirated something-or-other dual disc thingy with chrono trigger and ff4, but they were completely in black and white. I don't know what was up with that adn why they didn't have colours.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ManOfTheYear posted:

I remember my friend having a pirated something-or-other dual disc thingy with chrono trigger and ff4, but they were completely in black and white. I don't know what was up with that adn why they didn't have colours.

Happened with NTSC games on certain PAL TVs.

Please don't dredge up any more memories of NTSC/PAL bullshit :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tonfa posted:

Please don't dredge up any more memories of NTSC/PAL bullshit :negative:

50Hz slowdown :unsmigghh: