Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Oh man, imagine if every Exalted charm had its own individual art. Now imagine what that book would weigh and how much it would cost :(
But would it take any longer to come out than this one already has? I submit that it could not possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

But would it take any longer to come out than this one already has? I submit that it could not possibly.

I don't know what you're talking about, because at my backer tier my solid gold copy of Exalted Third Edition will be personally handed to me by Christ the Redeemer as He returns to rule heaven on earth for ten thousand years.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
At least when I 'accidentally' drop it on our godawful glass coffee table I can finally justify getting a new one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, because at my backer tier my solid gold copy of Exalted Third Edition will be personally handed to me by Christ the Redeemer as He returns to rule heaven on earth for ten thousand years.
But was Christ a Solar?

I think some kind of card mechanic would actually be real sweet because I remember the two times I played the Street Fighter RPG it actually worked really well. However, this would probably only work well in combat, and you'd have to get the cards to people somehow.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Exalted The Cardgame (with absolutely no loving dice please, except if a card mechanic tells you to do something with it or flip a coin) would probably be an infinitely better system than what we currently have. I too want to play Ex3 mostly because I like crunchy mechanics, so anything that simplifies the obstructive bullshit in favor of the cool bits I'm here for is something I'm down with.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yea honestly going with a boxed set with cards and maybe special dies (like Warhammer Fantasy 3) would be pretty loving sweet, and it would even make them a shitload of money as they can release new sets, all the exalt types, "armory" sets, etc, etc.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My big problem with charms is that as a way to explain the sort of things you can do they do a good job of highlighting some of the crazy things you'd likely never come up with on your own. Like moving cities, having a fate spider secretary or training a pack of wolves as an army. But the problem is they also define what you can do and while moving a whole city to avoid an army is a cool idea, it's less cool when you only had that idea because you have the "Move Cities" power and are always looking for an excuse to use it. Moving a city once is a big moment and a great story to come from a game. Do it more than once and it becomes a joke.

When I play Exalted with RAW I always feel limited by what my charms are, because doing things outside of the handful of charms I have starts to run into the GM not unreasonably saying "Well you don't have the Charm, so you can't do that." Diverting a river to flood a valley to stop an army is a cool idea, but if there's a "River Follows the Rock" charm then the game is suggesting if I didn't buy that charm I shouldn't be doing it and if I can do it anyway then why would I ever buy the charm in the first place?

It's annoying because Charms don't feel like they're an actual thing in the Exalted Universe anyway, unlike Sorcery Spells or Martial Arts techniques where I wouldn't blink at a scroll of Obidian Butterflies or the way of Five Directions in game, but some people seriously believed there was a "Melee Tree" Solar Library in a tomb somewhere and it was hard to argue why there shouldn't be. 2E was really uncertain on if Charms existed as an actual thing or were just an abstraction for game balance and it led into the insane "The game rules are the actual rules governing Creation" fanwankery that has people discussing game mechanics in character and oh god kill me now.

It's actually another thing I love about Alchemicals, their charms were undeniably real things and could be stolen, swapped and so on. It made sense for them to have this restricted toolset of specific powers because it fit their story of machines built for purpose, struggling to stay human. For Solars it just doesn't work, they feel like they should have the freedom to do a lot more than they can.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yea honestly going with a boxed set with cards and maybe special dies (like Warhammer Fantasy 3) would be pretty loving sweet, and it would even make them a shitload of money as they can release new sets, all the exalt types, "armory" sets, etc, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Charms replaced with Edge of the Empire-style Talent Trees.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Fans posted:

It's annoying because Charms don't feel like they're an actual thing in the Exalted Universe anyway, unlike Sorcery Spells or Martial Arts techniques where I wouldn't blink at a scroll of Obidian Butterflies or the way of Five Directions in game, but some people seriously believed there was a "Melee Tree" Solar Library in a tomb somewhere and it was hard to argue why there shouldn't be. 2E was really uncertain on if Charms existed as an actual thing or were just an abstraction for game balance and it led into the insane "The game rules are the actual rules governing Creation" fanwankery that has people discussing game mechanics in character and oh god kill me now.

This is why I'm of the opinion that Charms are something that any decent Exalted conversion (to FATE or otherwise) needs to throw into the trashcan. AFAICT there is not a single reference to them in the fiction. poo poo that doesn't guide a game's fiction has no place being transplanted into a mechanics kit.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Transient People posted:

This is why I'm of the opinion that Charms are something that any decent Exalted conversion (to FATE or otherwise) needs to throw into the trashcan. AFAICT there is not a single reference to them in the fiction. poo poo that doesn't guide a game's fiction has no place being transplanted into a mechanics kit.

...tried it, ended up with none of the Exalted fans I know being willing to even try playing it. They're bizarrely locked into the idea that the charms and such from the standard Exalted rules are the ONLY possible way to play Exalted. Last I heard they're trying to port them all to Savage Worlds.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
When I have some more free time I'm probably going to try another go at running a FATE/Exalted game on the forum.

What are the benefits of using Atomic Robo as a base, rather than FATE Core? I noticed the reviewer used Atomic Robo as a comparism rather than the corebook - is it just better suited to high octane action?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Transient People posted:

You know what has gotten written into the game line fiction for Exalted? Handjobs. Clearly, a future Exalted build should include handjobs as a key mechanic.

The impression I've gotten from the fluff has been like this:

Charms are Exalted informal magic, the ways in which they express their Essence to do, like, stuff (as opposed to innate things like DB elemental affinity, Lunar shapeshifting, etc.) They are pretty idiosyncratic, but they can be taught from one Exalt to another, and there are common problems which almost always get the exact same solution ("how do I hit that guy with my sword, like, twenty times in a second?") which Exaltedspotters can quantify to some extent. In the First Age there were probably tutorials, at least for most of the basic stuff, but you can figure most of it out on your own.

There are exceptions. The Sidereals are specifically restrained to a set of Charms created by the Maidens of Fate. Lunars have special shapeshifting stuff which can't really be shared, even if some of their stuff can be. Martial arts can be made formal and rigorous and taught as a generalist subject, though Terrestrials have to hustle hard to learn the higher levels of pure kungfu. Sorcery (and necromancy) works more like classical D&D "spellcasting," with complex rituals that you can learn that have large, predictable and expensive effects.

What I would do in some storygame Exalted-lite is say:

* You get most of your Charms from your abilities. This mostly gives you a bigger roll of some kind but there are additional cool flavor tricks you can have. Some examples would be included, but with a firm guide towards "you can roll your own." There might be some guidance on what is not quite possible.
* Secret Knowledge such as sorcery and advanced kung-fu (stuff like punching souls off and Sunlight Yellow Overdrive) are their own special tricks which get a little more widening out. You can start with some, and find more through ancient scrolls or sifus. You can also invent them, but doing so spontaneously is usually a last-ditch effortful thing. Some of the real unique high end Charms that do something totally new ("sail a ship into the sky" vs. "perform a very difficult and complex mundane feat very easily") fall under this category too.
* Some additional seasoning relevant to the Exalt type. DBs cooperate well, Lunars are very flexible. Sidereals are left respectfully blank or replaced with a link to purchase Chuubo.
* Probably "Charms" are what make up most of your unique stuff in general.

This would probably not fit on an index card, but it would be a lot simpler than the current mess at least!!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

When I have some more free time I'm probably going to try another go at running a FATE/Exalted game on the forum.

What are the benefits of using Atomic Robo as a base, rather than FATE Core? I noticed the reviewer used Atomic Robo as a comparism rather than the corebook - is it just better suited to high octane action?

Yes. There's a load of tiny changes but just to list a few of the most important ones:

-You don't lose refresh from getting stunts, thus making your FP allocation smaller. Instead, you get five stunts for free (two more than Core) and then further stunts add to the GM's Extra FP pool he can use to toy with you. Your Fate Point pool is set to 5 as well, meaning everybody gets to play with the Fate Point economy instead of choosing between that and stunts.
-You don't get shackled by a skill pyramid forcing you to take some irrelevantly weak skills. Instead, you pointbuy your skills through the construction of Skill Modes and can have as many of them at any level as you like.
-Introduction of the Absolute and XProof stunt abilities, which let you succeed at an Overcome task without rolling and have total immunity to something (unless done in an excessively overpowered fashion), at some kind of cost.
-Introduction of the Signature Aspect stunt ability. This marks one (or more) of your Aspects as a particularly core lynchpin to your character, meaning you get one free invoke per milestone of it and each compel is worth two FP, but resisting those compels also costs two FP.
-Better, clearer, more cohesive rules for weapon and armor ratings and more accountability for them (as opposed to how they tend to dynamite FATE Core by making combats be super lopsided).
-Better, clearer rules for developing a powerbase, and also more interesting rules for problem-solving than just the vanilla FATE rules.
-:siren: SUPER IMPORTANT! :siren: Infinitely more clear and consistent rules for what amount of FP a GM gets to play with per scene, letting his opposition challenge the PCs reliably. A very good reason to get Atomic Robo even if you hate everything it stands for!

I could go on and on about the changes but I'll leave it at this: Unless you want to run gritty adventures in FATE, Atomic Robo may as well be FATE, Fifth Edition to Core's fourth. It's the next step forward in FATE development.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

e3:DONE!
Arbani Blue Feathered Raven Phoenix Consumed By Her Own Flame
"Those shoulders would make great grips!"

quote:

Modes and Their Aspects:
    Concept:Arbani's Treacherous Apprentice
    Necromancy (+3): Learned Her Bones At Merciless
    Abyssal Exalt (+2): Deathknight Errant*
    Intrigue Mode (+1): Been Burned Before
    Trouble Aspect: Peculiar Sense of Justice
    Sorcery(3) : Notice, Will, All Sciences and Inhumanities
    Exalted(14): Athletics, Combat, Empathy, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Stealth, Tooth And Claw, Will
    Intrigue(9) : Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth

Skills:
+4: Notice, Will, Medicine, Flamepiece Manufacture, Arts Of The Dead, Bone-Carving
+3: Athletics, Stealth, Other Sciences and Inhumanities
+2: Combat, Empathy, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Tooth And Claw
+1: Burglary, Contacts, Deceive
4pp spent promoting Medicine, Flamepiece Manufacture, Arts Of The Dead, Bone-Carving.

Stunts:
Signature Aspect:Deathknight Errant*
Southern Duelist: Phoenix gains +1 to Attack or Create An Advantage with Combat when wielding a flamepiece.
Personal Hardware:
Black Iron(Flamepiece): Weapon:2, +1 to Attack with Combat
Trappings Of The Dead: Armor:1, and +2 shifts to successful Physique rolls.

Merciless Wisdom(Mega-Stunt, 4 benefits.)
  • Flameproof, but weak against Holy and Sunlight
  • When using a free invocation on an aspect or boost related to the Underworld, you get a +3 bonus instead of +2.
  • When creating or altering an Artifact or piece of hardware, it can have one benefit for free (no catch attached) as long as you have enough human remains.
  • Once per volume, choose a piece of hardware that’s been in your possession for a while, and reveal that you (or your staff) have already made some “improvements” to it. Add another stunt benefit to it, or replace one it already has.

Mental Stress 0000
Physical Stress 000
5/5 FP
8-5=3 GM FP.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 23, 2015

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Is that meant as an example of an Exalted character done in Atomic Robo, or did you mean to post that in a recruitment thread?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

It's meant of an example of the one-page hack, and from what I see it works pretty good!

Also the rules for Inventions are goddamn perfect for making Artifacts.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

That should say '+3 to GM pool', not +2, and either Phys or Mental Stress should have one box less, but otherwise it looks neat. You might want to indicate what's a Gadget though, just to make things a little clearer (and give them Function and Flaw).

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

ErichZahn posted:

It's meant of an example of the one-page hack, and from what I see it works pretty good!

Also the rules for Inventions are goddamn perfect for making Artifacts.
That is pretty danged rad.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fate Core: better at Exalted than Exalted.

edit: Traditional Games > Ex3 - Forcing you to hack other systems since 2001

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's clear that it provides what a lot of people want from Exalted better than Exalted. Others enjoy the charm system - personally, I'm really not a fan of effect-based power systems, and so I much prefer the method Exalted uses. Sometimes it's nice to be given a big list of quirky, thematic powers rather than deciding how to flavour your +2 bonus - wizard supremacy aside there's a reason people enjoy the big lists of spells in D&D.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Having been the rare bird who apparently was in a non-horrifying group for both 1E and 2E games, Exalted does work, it just doesn't work very smoothly or swiftly. You could probably file off a lot of the cruft without fundamentally altering the system and I had been hoping Ex3 would do that, but it seems like it won't be, or at least not as much as I'd hoped.

What was the fan-favorite rules-light system when it came out, anyway?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flavivirus posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's clear that it provides what a lot of people want from Exalted better than Exalted. Others enjoy the charm system - personally, I'm really not a fan of effect-based power systems, and so I much prefer the method Exalted uses. Sometimes it's nice to be given a big list of quirky, thematic powers rather than deciding how to flavour your +2 bonus - wizard supremacy aside there's a reason people enjoy the big lists of spells in D&D.

Yeah, joking aside, I kinda want my Wuxia Crunchy. Managing resources and pulling combos feels pretty fun in a game that's all about crazy combats.

That said, Crunchy doesn't mean clunky, which is why Ex2 didn't really work for me. The thing about a Crunchy system though, is that it works best when based strongly on the setting material, so "generic" crunchy systems are a pain in the rear end + lots of work to convert to exalted.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's not that I dislike "crunchy" games with lots of discrete, unique powers...I mean, I still enjoy playing D&D4E which, while reskinning is both popular and permissible, still features an abundance of powers and abilities with various quirks and considerations to weigh, and I played Magic for years...I just don't think that Exalted in either of its incarnations in a practical "actually playing the game instead of just discussing it on the internet" sense really nails it. I'm willing to bet that by far the majority of people who pledged to the Ex3 Kickstarter did so in the hope of revised rules making the game more enjoyable and less cumbersome to play rather than pledging for setting updates or anything along those lines.

Edit; in terms of more crunch-heavy wuxia style games I've always heard good things about Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin but never had a chance to play it before. WotG's Great Game is also frequently cited as an excellent system for things like mass combat and political maneuvering.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
edit: ignore me

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kai Tave posted:

Edit; in terms of more crunch-heavy wuxia style games I've always heard good things about Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin but never had a chance to play it before. WotG's Great Game is also frequently cited as an excellent system for things like mass combat and political maneuvering.

I've played a fair bit of Legend of the Wulin and it's got a really interesting system when you have a resource you can use to boost dicepools (Chi) and multiple ways to regenerate that usually involved taking a break from fighting to breathe or using a certain less offensive style. The dice pools themselves you roll and fish out pairs of dice to make your roll. So if you rolled a pair of 3's you'd have a roll of 23. You also get a very small pool where you can store pairs you don't use, then use them to enhance rolls in the future.

When you injure someone you pile on afflictions to them that don't actually hurt their rolls if they can incorperate a way around them into their rolls. Get a cut on your leg? Find a way to fight without using your legs and you can ignore it. Afflictions can even be emotional, meaning you can shame someone so badly the end the fight and go off to be a better person afterwards. It's rare for a fight to end without both sides taking away some "Damage".

On the other hand you can punch someone into being your friend and that's great.

Add in a ton of powers that affect how many dice you can roll, how big your storage pool is, when you can use either and ways to mess with the rules of it in all sorts of odd ways and it's just a lot of fun. Good system, shame the rule book is a bit hard to follow.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
WotG had some awesome ideas. It just had too many at the same time. It was too much to take in.

I liked how social or magical Conditions could mold role-play without eliminating player choice. I *really* wish Exalted 3e just stole them straight-up.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fans posted:

I've played a fair bit of Legend of the Wulin and it's got a really interesting system when you have a resource you can use to boost dicepools (Chi) and multiple ways to regenerate that usually involved taking a break from fighting to breathe or using a certain less offensive style. The dice pools themselves you roll and fish out pairs of dice to make your roll. So if you rolled a pair of 3's you'd have a roll of 23. You also get a very small pool where you can store pairs you don't use, then use them to enhance rolls in the future.

When you injure someone you pile on afflictions to them that don't actually hurt their rolls if they can incorperate a way around them into their rolls. Get a cut on your leg? Find a way to fight without using your legs and you can ignore it. Afflictions can even be emotional, meaning you can shame someone so badly the end the fight and go off to be a better person afterwards. It's rare for a fight to end without both sides taking away some "Damage".

On the other hand you can punch someone into being your friend and that's great.

Add in a ton of powers that affect how many dice you can roll, how big your storage pool is, when you can use either and ways to mess with the rules of it in all sorts of odd ways and it's just a lot of fun. Good system, shame the rule book is a bit hard to follow.
Yeah, Legends of the Wulin is what you want for the Shopping List of Weird/Neat Powers and there's enough Make It Up As Ya Go to it with the way Conditions worked that it's a better mechanical framework for Exalted than Exalted has ever had.

Though, somewhat on that point, I kinda don't get the problem for folks saying they want the big esoteric shopping list of weird powers. Like, there's more to Fate than just "Here's An Aspect That Gives Me A Dull +2 At A Bunch Of Vague Stuff." Like, your aspects can be fairly narrow and strange if you want them to be, but where that sort of thing would really shine would be to make your stunts weird and limited and niche. Particularly with the Mega-Stunt and Invention rules from the Robo RPG.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yeah. Just to use examples of poo poo I made up myself, here's some from three different sheets.

Spell Tracer: When a spellcaster openly displays their abilities in your presence, instantly reveal their Concept, and any Aspects related to their spellcasting (such as vanity from controlling the primal forces of the world, or the Aspect derived from their casting modes).

The Black And White Passions (partial): After a planning-focused Brainstorm, can create a World Aspect. So long as everybody sticks to the previously prepared plan, players may spend FP for each other by invoking the Aspect, once per roll.

Seer of Visions: When you stare at a person or place intently, you can see into their future, receiving a truthful vision of things to come. You are automatically compelled to either prevent the vision or help it come to pass. By spending a Fate Point, you can dictate the contents of the vision yourself, subject to GM approval.

Hypomanic Phase: Sometimes, everything just seems to make perfect sense to you - ideas flow into your head, connections are made in a hurry, and everything comes together. Once per milestone, you can voluntarily enter a state of Hypomania, heightening your creativity and intuition. By spending an action during a scene, you can ask the GM to reveal a story detail for you related to a subject of your choice, so long as you could feasibly have an 'Eureka!' moment based on your available information (this doesn't have to be a deduction - it can also be a particularly brilliant hunch, for instance). You can do this any number of times per scene, so long as you spend an action for each epiphany, but at the end, you tick off your smallest available Mental Consequence, as you come down from your high, your mind and body overtaxed by your brainstorm.

Light of Dharma: Magic is energy, and your soul is the ultimate reactor. When casting, you may use the following special abilities to empower your spells. (4 benefits)

-Body Fuel: For other magi, giving up their vitality to cast spells is their way of going out with a bang. For you, it's standard procedure. Instead of using mental stress to cast, you may spend physical stress if you so desire, channeling the same amount of magic through a single stress box.
-Nuclear Fission: When you put forth mental effort to cast a spell and feed it your body's energy at the same time, incredible things happen. You can step up the result of a spell to the next degree of success by inflicting a negative Aspect (not a Consequence) on yourself, such as Temporarily Blind or Pinned To The Ground. This turns a failure into a tie, a tie into a success with 1 shift, a success into a Success With Style and a Success With Style into a wild overachievement (for example, by generating a Situation Aspect with a free invoke instead of a boost on a SwS Attack).
-Nuclear Fusion: You can do astounding things with your magic, blending spells together to create new mixes. When you cast a spell, you can choose to attach a second Action to it, which must not be the same as the main one (for instance, you could attach an Overcome or Create Advantage action to an Attack, but not another Attack). Step the degree of success of the secondary action down, turning a Success With Style into a success, a success into a tie, a tie into failure, and a failure into a Success With Style against you. This spell costs twice as much casting power from you as a standard spell would.

When I said FATE had a really high 'skill ceiling' and a very steep learning curve past the basic stage, I wasn't kidding. Since it's a fractalized system you can do things in crazy detail or be very basic with it - but it takes a while and a lot of playtime to get into the mindset to do weird stuff without a lot of help. Character sheets in FATE splats don't usually include a character who's playing with mechanics that don't even exist for anybody else or who have two sheets nested inside the main one or whatever.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 24, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah Fate is really easy to hack in order to make special rules and weird things like that, and as long as you don't break the math with exaggerated bonuses, it's kinda balanced.

That said, it does require some hacking and not everyone is good at that, and that's when things get a bit unfair for the dude that doesn't understand the system perfectly and still uses the basic stunts instead of trying to com up with crazier poo poo.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah Fate is really easy to hack in order to make special rules and weird things like that, and as long as you don't break the math with exaggerated bonuses, it's kinda balanced.

That said, it does require some hacking and not everyone is good at that, and that's when things get a bit unfair for the dude that doesn't understand the system perfectly and still uses the basic stunts instead of trying to com up with crazier poo poo.

I wouldn't say it gets unfair IF the newbie sticks to common and practical mathematical bonuses. A character with five Superb Skills and +2 to each one's most common application will absolutely be competitive with a character loaded up with something like that Light of Dharma stunt above. If instead the newbie takes slightly more esoteric stuff like trapping additions for skills or permissions they'll probably feel more outclassed - and in either case they might get envious of the more veteran player's sheet just because those stunts look cooler than '+2 to attack rolls with Combat when using guns', and say much more about the character than something more vanilla. There's no real fix for that because that's just an optimization case, and it shows up in every game with any sort of chargen depth - that extra mile always makes people feel outshined, so the guy who knows most has to either handicap himself and use more boring stunts (which is usually the less good option since it sacrifices one player's enjoyment for another), or teach the other players how to build their own crazy powers, abilities and items. It's kind of a social contract thing at that point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Transient People posted:

I wouldn't say it gets unfair IF the newbie sticks to common and practical mathematical bonuses. A character with five Superb Skills and +2 to each one's most common application will absolutely be competitive with a character loaded up with something like that Light of Dharma stunt above. If instead the newbie takes slightly more esoteric stuff like trapping additions for skills or permissions they'll probably feel more outclassed - and in either case they might get envious of the more veteran player's sheet just because those stunts look cooler than '+2 to attack rolls with Combat when using guns', and say much more about the character than something more vanilla. There's no real fix for that because that's just an optimization case, and it shows up in every game with any sort of chargen depth - that extra mile always makes people feel outshined, so the guy who knows most has to either handicap himself and use more boring stunts (which is usually the less good option since it sacrifices one player's enjoyment for another), or teach the other players how to build their own crazy powers, abilities and items. It's kind of a social contract thing at that point.
Social contract!? Then it's nothing than mother-may-I with four capital letters! :byodood:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

bartkusa posted:

WotG had some awesome ideas. It just had too many at the same time. It was too much to take in.

I liked how social or magical Conditions could mold role-play without eliminating player choice. I *really* wish Exalted 3e just stole them straight-up.

I don't quite get the "We've been so busy working on Ex3 that we're unfamiliar with how GMCWoD does things." thing.

That implies things I can't explicate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ErichZahn posted:

I don't quite get the "We've been so busy working on Ex3 that we're unfamiliar with how GMCWoD does things." thing.

That implies things I can't explicate.
I don't get it either. The beats system, if nothing else, is a lot better. But I guess that interferes with having multiple forms of XP so you can be the one who crafts the future of Creation because maker culture and fap fap fap ugh god I'm so close to a doozergasm!! MORE NUMBERS, GOING HIGHER!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nessus posted:

I don't get it either. The beats system, if nothing else, is a lot better. But I guess that interferes with having multiple forms of XP so you can be the one who crafts the future of Creation because maker culture and fap fap fap ugh god I'm so close to a doozergasm!! MORE NUMBERS, GOING HIGHER!

Cookie Clicker/Exalted crossover. Be the Iron Chef. Drown the realm in sweets.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Fans posted:

Cookie Clicker/Exalted crossover. Be the Iron Chef. Drown the realm in sweets.

I've always thought of Yakitate Japan! as being "Exalted, but with bread." (I may or may not have designed a Dawn Caste who wants to be the best baker in Creation)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MadcapViking posted:

I've always thought of Yakitate Japan! as being "Exalted, but with bread." (I may or may not have designed a Dawn Caste who wants to be the best baker in Creation)
I have always imagined the Unconquered Sun as strongly resembling Chairman Kaga.

If this complex gallimaufry of a Crafting system can be used to reproduce the struggles of Kitchen Stadium, perhaps it will have been worth it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

All the talk of crafting got me thinking - why do people even like crafting?

No no, hear me out. I understand it's fun to put a magic whatsit in your friend's hand and change the course of history not through your own power but through the ability to enable others. I get that being support is neat and coming up with weird ways to solve problems with gadgets can be a lot of fun. But.

Crafting systems suck. I can't think of a single crafting system that is at all enjoyable. All crafting systems basically come down to trading [resource] for [result] wherein you're allowed to trade some portion of [resource] for [time] instead. Usually there's a conceit that you could buy, find, or discover the item in some other way if you were so inclined. Either your GM is a hardass who never lets you make the things you're trying to make (which begs, why bother) or they handwave stuff because it's taking too long or is too frustrating (again, why bother?) at which point Craft basically stands in for Persuasion or Lore (trading for an item or knowing of its existence, respectively).

The more I think about it the more I think that Craft is doomed to being inherently disappointing. Craft systems are always hamstrung by a need to limit the power of crafting next to finding and/or buying. In Exalted the question of Crafts is also infrastructural, but at that point the question is more about training and logistics than about your personal crafting acumen. It's pretty much only enjoyable if the whole game is built around it or if the ST is very good at walking the line between giving you too much or too little for your effort.

Anybody have any insight? How would you make a crafting system fun? Certainly not by gating it behind dozens of "You do this 10% faster" Charms, I should think, but is there a way to make it fun?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I've always found crafting completely boring until I saw the system in Final Fantasy 14, which is actually really cool. Every crafting attempt is a minigame in which you spend limited resources and take risks in hopes of building up enough of a bonus to A) finish your project at all and B) give your project the best chance of being high quality you can get. Having multiple different crafting skills makes you an increasingly powerful crafter because each crafting discipline has specific metagame tricks, so like one can perform a certain common move with zero rather than ten percent fail chance, another can trade one resource for another at a slightly improved rate, etc.

Basically, the important part of a crafting system is that it A) convinces you that it's giving you something you couldn't get without it, and B) convinces you that what you're doing is so tricky and involved that only your character could manage it. Honestly, the basic "you've got only five rolls, can you get 40 successes over the course of them?" model Exalted looks to be using is a perfectly good basic framework for that.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I usually make crafting fun by making the groups' adventures contribute to crafting goals. When one of my players took up necromancy and set about building a submersible out of cow carcasses I let the group tangle with a hit squad of nemissaries who shot up another player's saloon. The necromancer was able to use his magic to capture a nemissary, and used further magic to twist the ghost to his will. That captured nemissary became the power source and control system of the 'Submoorine', berthed in the river port of a small water manse the party controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mendrian posted:

All the talk of crafting got me thinking - why do people even like crafting?
Best as I can tell, 'because I can make stuff' and there's a poo poo ton of demographic and media overlap between "person who makes objects" and "great hero who saves the day" in the Exalted player consciousness.

This is not to say that it isn't cool, or - in anticipation of past arguments I've run into - that creation or "making" is somehow bad or wrong. And Exalted's setting does strongly suggest that PCs, or people much like the PCs, are capable of making broad creative actions which are not suggested by, say, Middle-Earth (where they did remake an ancient broken sword - and made it perhaps even better - but it wasn't the sword that beat Sauron). What personally annoyed me in 2E was that there were all these weird ways to basically create a bunch of automatic poo poo, and at a certain point it becomes this weird one-upmanship, rhetorically. "Oh, you're converting people to a faith, or brokering trade agreements? That's nice. I'm MAKING A NEW WORLD. Possibly with LARGE BRASS GEARS ON IT."

quote:

Anybody have any insight? How would you make a crafting system fun? Certainly not by gating it behind dozens of "You do this 10% faster" Charms, I should think, but is there a way to make it fun?
I'd make it comparable to long tick actions like 'govern a kingdom' or 'broker a peace treaty'. The "crafter" person can make cool artifacts, repair or tinker with infrastructure, etc. - with great and dramatic effort she can make REAL SWEET artifacts or wholly new infrastructure. I would also tend to move away from the portrayal of First Age stuff as glossy and brightly colored versions of real-life or commonly fictional stuff; airships are cool of course, but you don't need to have a Resplendent Golden Shield Helicarrier show up in the River Province.

zeal posted:

I usually make crafting fun by making the groups' adventures contribute to crafting goals. When one of my players took up necromancy and set about building a submersible out of cow carcasses I let the group tangle with a hit squad of nemissaries who shot up another player's saloon. The necromancer was able to use his magic to capture a nemissary, and used further magic to twist the ghost to his will. That captured nemissary became the power source and control system of the 'Submoorine', berthed in the river port of a small water manse the party controlled.
See this is pretty cool. Though now I'm wondering: Were they Abyssals? Because, well...

• Locked thread