Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

skooma512 posted:

My lead and several network analysts on this account do this and it drives me up the wall because I think they're cross with me.

And then there's the double period..

Oh thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one who keeps having that reaction to both those things. I hate it so goddamn much.

Pissing me off: people who sign ahead on the weekly hour sheet then ask me to cover their shift. Then I have to pray the white out hasn't pulled a Houdini (it has) so I can get paid for the time instead of them. No, my job doesn't have electronic time keeping. Yes, it's incredibly retarded.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No absolutely. Ellipsis convey a tone of "the thing I am saying is absurd and I can't believe I even have to tell you."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No absolutely. Ellipsis convey a tone of "the thing I am saying is absurd and I can't believe I even have to tell you."

or to indicate a pause where the audience should think about what was just said or to let it sink in.

"I had to drive five hundred miles because the senior network engineer reset a router to factory default over a remote link…"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Here is what the Excel our "Project Manager" uses looks like (Simplified):

Functional Specs 12/5/2014 12/12/2014 12/19/2014 12/26/2014 1/2/2015 1/9/2015
Technical Specs 12/12/2014 12/19/2014 12/26/2014 1/2/2015 1/9/2015 1/16/2015
{Etc}
Deployment 2/2/2015

Apparently pointing out that our target dates had been slipping since Thanksgiving and we're 8 weeks late on a 12 week Dev cycle and saying THE L WORD was me being a "Lose Cannon" (<-- Direct Quote).

We may not have design work completed 2 weeks before production, but we're still in Green status because we just keep compressing the remaining schedule into fewer and fewer days. But we totally aren't late, that would be bad!

This poo poo is going to go to production a complete clusterfuck and I'm going to have to be back on 8am-Midnight 7 days a week to unfuck the Dev team's mess.

:suicide:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
In that case, I'd read it like this:

I had to drive five hundred miles because the senior network engineer reset a router to factory default over a remote link… - Can you believe this guy even has a job?

I had to drive five hundred miles because the senior network engineer reset a router to factory default over a remote link. - Eh, these things happen. (e: Although in this example, 500!!! miles kinda implies going nuclear, heh)

---

I was asked to do something tonight and am basically off tomorrow as a result of it. What I was asked to do, let's skip what it was because I am vague to the point of useless, but just know that when I was asked to do this, I pitched an internal bitch. I knew it needed to be done, but are you serious, I need to do that? That's going to take forever. How the, this is loving ridiculous, no, kiss my rear end. Fast forward to now, and I'm doing it, and wow this isn't so bad at all, I'm cruising through this. Run command, copy, paste, run command, copy, paste.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys! Sorry I didn't respond to the congrats for a few days, been super busy.

Thanks for the congrats! I am looking forward to moving out of this hillbilly state finally! I just hope all goes well for the next few months and I start in June!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ellipses can be bad, but I hate the triple comma more,,,

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

quote:

Ellipses

At least it's punctuation an old boss of mine refused to use any periods or commas when he typed it was comical when he would try to send a motivation email or something it would just come across as kind of inept he would change topics in the middle of his paragraphs he always addressed his emails with the word Team it got really annoying since we were about the furthest thing from a team you can think of and still be working for the same entity I'd much rather deal with spelling errors I agree that overusing ellipses is annoying though

Man. It hurt to type that. I wish it were an exaggeration.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobId=144461403&jvs=cf,can-6342,can,0&WT.mc_n=olm_sk_feed_ziprecruiter

This been posted yet?
Seems to match the descriptions of working in healthcare that have been posted many times in the two threads...

First line:

"There is just no point in sugarcoating it; this is an awful job, nobody really wants this job."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

skooma512 posted:

People using habitually ellipsis to end sentences...

Don't they know that this is usually used to convey confusion or annoyance (among other things)?

My lead and several network analysts on this account do this and it drives me up the wall because I think they're cross with me.

And then there's the double period..

There used to be a guy here......who typed.........like this......every comma.......full stop......sentence break.......or pause for thought.........he'd just press the key a bunch of times........He was also a real waffler.......so he'd send an email.........and it would be........three pages........of this poo poo.........

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

wibble posted:

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobId=144461403&jvs=cf,can-6342,can,0&WT.mc_n=olm_sk_feed_ziprecruiter

This been posted yet?
Seems to match the descriptions of working in healthcare that have been posted many times in the two threads...

First line:

"There is just no point in sugarcoating it; this is an awful job, nobody really wants this job."

gently caress yeah chilli cookoff!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wibble posted:

This been posted yet?

First line:

Who wants to bet that:

quote:

The up-side is that the position comes with a good benefit package and some paid time off.​
is missing the qualifier 'compared to Walmart'?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sweevo posted:

There used to be a guy here......who typed.........like this......every comma.......full stop......sentence break.......or pause for thought.........he'd just press the key a bunch of times........He was also a real waffler.......so he'd send an email.........and it would be........three pages........of this poo poo.........

I was going to post this if you hadn't. This is the goddamned worst. Any time I read this kind of style, I just assume that the sender is some kind of illiterate fuckup and I'm usually right.

The only exception is a guy from my last job who is pretty smart and chill, but didn't see a problem with doing this over messenger. He was at least kind enough to not do it in emails.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm sitting at work and not allowed to be high on vicodin despite my shattered left foot, which is significantly painful.

I have therefore decided to make my operations manager's life hell simply because I am not allowed to be grumpy at customers.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
americanhealthcare.txt

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

wibble posted:

This been posted yet?

First line:

I want to ask "I see that the position is very challenging. Am I allowed to actually make some changes that can fix some of these challenges?"

But I'm already guessing that the answer will be something like "No", or "Sure, you can change anything as long as it doesn't cost more than 0 dollars, and it doesn't make doctors and nurses feel inconvenienced"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

wibble posted:

This been posted yet?

First line:

Wow, I didn't know monster used that awful "Are you sure you want to leave our loving awesome page? Did you click the X by accident again, you stupid piece of poo poo?" prompt.

Obligatory "they must be looking for a Rogue" joke, since nobody's made it yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm sitting at work and not allowed to be high on vicodin despite my shattered left foot, which is significantly painful.

I have therefore decided to make my operations manager's life hell simply because I am not allowed to be grumpy at customers.

Wait, is your boss telling you that you aren't allowed to take your medicine? I don't get it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

Wait, is your boss telling you that you aren't allowed to take your medicine? I don't get it.

Many workplaces have restrictions on narcotic usage, either because they don't like the idea of employees being high at work (their opinion, not mine), or there are concerns that it could affect their performance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Obligatory "they must be looking for a Rogue" joke, since nobody's made it yet.

Should be a permanent link at the OP of every IT career and bitching thread.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Exit Strategy posted:

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite thing about my terminal heart condition is getting to call into work and go "Man, I've got some serious chest pain today. I'ma take some vicodin and go back to bed, mark me out as sick."

So it's me. I'm the poo poo pissing off the junior tech today.

Is there a difference in policy between calling out sick for your heart condition and calling out sick because your foot is broken? Because it seems like if you need the vicodin and rest that you should take them and do that.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Fast forward to now, and I'm doing it, and wow this isn't so bad at all, I'm cruising through this. Run command, copy, paste, run command, copy, paste.

Any reason you can't script it using pexpect or something else? We used to have several day long audits that were done by hand at my old job and when I showed them pexpect it was like giving fire to cave men.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How About........... People............ Who Capitalize.......... The First Letter,,,, Of Every... Single... Word...

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Many workplaces have restrictions on narcotic usage, either because they don't like the idea of employees being high at work (their opinion, not mine), or there are concerns that it could affect their performance.

On the other side of things, I had an extensive dental procedure done a few days before I accepted a permanent position from being a contractor. I was high on percocet and loopy during the whole first day welcome aboard orientation thing and I even had to speak on a conference call for a bit. I enjoyed that

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Xae posted:

Here is what the Excel our "Project Manager" uses looks like (Simplified):

Things pissing me off: No, that is not what the Excel your Project Manager uses look like. That is what the spreadsheet your Project Manager uses looks like.

Excel is software. A spreadsheet is a document. Yes, it's a pet peeve.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
quote != edit

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'll take any of these email composition mistakes over the emails I get that just say "server is down" in the subject line with no body (PS no server was down I checked them all)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

First time I have heard of this and after some googling this seems far fetched. Unless you are handling machinery or working in emergency services, your employer has no basis to keep you from taking pain medication.

For one it boggles my mind how you would even get to that point. If I had a broken foot its not like I would be asking permission to take my medicine and if my boss went out of his way to tell me I can't take it I don't know how I could keep from laughing. I don't understand the level of doormat you would have to reach to even have a boss that thought that you taking your medicine was their decision.

That seems like the easiest slam dunk unlawful dismissal I have ever heard of in all 50 states. And even beyond that, who would work for someone like that under any condition? :cripes:

mewse
May 2, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

How About........... People............ Who Capitalize.......... The First Letter,,,, Of Every... Single... Word...

In my volunteer position there's a guy who will send me rambling emails explaining what a bad job I'm doing and calling me "my friend" several times. I've almost developed a nervous twitch any time someone writes or says "my friend".

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Fil5000 posted:

Is there a difference in policy between calling out sick for your heart condition and calling out sick because your foot is broken? Because it seems like if you need the vicodin and rest that you should take them and do that.

It's January 23, my company abandoned their unlimited sick policy on January 1...

And I've used all my sick time. For the entire year.

In the end, that's what's pissing me off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah let's send the loving forensics guy who hasn't touched any hardware for the past 15 years to go do a site survey and analyze the network for device installation. That's a good move, instead of sending literally anyone else with more knowledge and experience.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Unrealistic due dates from people refusing to answer questions.

1/19: "ElehemEare, this is top priority. I've spoken to your boss; we really need this by tomorrow, it's blocking our development team."

I ask some clarifying questions because it's obvious this guy doesn't understand the concept at hand.

It's the 23rd and all I hear is tumbleweeds; person is actively ignoring my phone calls. Sometimes being a remote employee is the worst.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

First time I have heard of this and after some googling this seems far fetched. Unless you are handling machinery or working in emergency services, your employer has no basis to keep you from taking pain medication.

For one it boggles my mind how you would even get to that point. If I had a broken foot its not like I would be asking permission to take my medicine and if my boss went out of his way to tell me I can't take it I don't know how I could keep from laughing. I don't understand the level of doormat you would have to reach to even have a boss that thought that you taking your medicine was their decision.

That seems like the easiest slam dunk unlawful dismissal I have ever heard of in all 50 states. And even beyond that, who would work for someone like that under any condition? :cripes:

My dad had this happen. He worked in a hospital and had a back injury. Hospitals may be a special case. To be sure he was not in a medical position, but still had patient contact. He was told that he could not work if he was taking opiates. An additional concern was that it would be hard to tell if an employee was taking prescribed opiates, or somehow getting them from hospital stores, but I am sure they mainly did not want someone who was working with patients to be loopy. He was able to take his meds after work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

My dad had this happen. He worked in a hospital and had a back injury. Hospitals may be a special case. To be sure he was not in a medical position, but still had patient contact. He was told that he could not work if he was taking opiates. An additional concern was that it would be hard to tell if an employee was taking prescribed opiates, or somehow getting them from hospital stores, but I am sure they mainly did not want someone who was working with patients to be loopy. He was able to take his meds after work.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Come back from vacation and find that a coworker was fired. Not a friend, but still part of the team is now gone with no explanation. So we're down a manager and three positions. Since these people have been gone, people here have been resetting or changing passwords, so now I'm locked out of every loving MAC in the building with no way to assist users.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
What about the people who think every multisyllable word is some sort of a camelcase brand name?

"When we work on installing the new MainFrame this WeekEnd, let's figure out what to do for lunch... We could order from SubWay or AppleBee's."

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
What about the people who eat at Applebee's?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^-- I love applebee's they just got nailed in a class action lawsuit and I got a $440 check in the mail a week ago!

Sickening posted:

I would have just taken it if it were me. When you're legitimately in pain the pain meds you get should not be getting you "high" unless you're taking more than you should. I've taken pain killers to get high and when I've had legit medical needs (fractured hip, separate shoulder, torn muscles, broken leg, broken hand+surgery to fix), and there is a huge difference in effect on your cognitive abilities between taking them to get high and taking them to dull pain.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
drinkingAtWork is not a crime. Also a Vicodin has about as much effect on my behavior as a cup of green tea, Take the Drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's getting quite annoying that this one shitheel salesperson has been garnering influence in how to use our CRM, to the point where we've bought two additional services; even though this rear end in a top hat and nobody else uses the core system properly when I've made it watertight, and even delivered training for some reason which I know he must of straight hosed up since nobody has used the integrated training modules.

Then he sent a zinger to find out "If there is any reason we cannot do a weekly Salesforce meeting for 30 minutes over lunch period" :fuckoff:

Absolutely no way am I doing work over lunch, otherwise I'll be leaving 30 minutes earlier at the end of the day; this is the kinda guy who always mentions "I've done Salesforce training and this is the way things are done" when I can say I've done the administrator training, and any time he brings up his (Grandma's first computer) ECDL / ICDL Computer driving licence I laugh a little inside.