Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy, don't you also run 3++ as well, or at least provide a crapton of content on that site? I remember seeing your username all over that site whenever I check the site out.

AbusePuppy posted:

As for the "smorgasboard" the other armies have been offered: GK have zero
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Pendent posted:

Are you in the Portland area by chance?

Bit south of, in Corvallis. I go up to Guardian Games to play every month or two, though, so it's possible you've seen me there.

Darren MacLennan posted:

Well, this is an experimental army that I'm thinking of running tomorrow, and it's...not good.
*deletia*
Any suggestions?

You're probably better off not running the Archon all tooled up, yeah- he's not awful, but he's not really that impressive, either. Best things to do with your HQ slot are either a Webway Portal carrier (bringing in some Trueborn, Medusas, Scourges, or Eldar allies) or if you're into real cheese a 10pt Lhamean so you have more points to spend elsewhere. The Blaster is a nice upgrade for the Archon, tho.

Incubi are pretty meh, but you probably knew that. The models are rad enough that you could probably limp by with them. I think I'd go with Raiders for them simply because of that extra HP on the chassis, though- it's not like you're going to be shooting with them turn 1 anyways, just move + flat out.

Cluster Caltrops are absolutely worth your time on the Reavers. 3x6 is probably better than 2x9 due to morale and targeting issues. Blasters give you a little standoff ability, but Heat Lances hit harder against most things.

If you trim the Archon down you might be able to top off those Warrior units a bit and maybe even get Splinter Cannons or something. Rerolling tons of poison shots is nice.

All in all I'd say it's a pretty average list. You've got a lot of shots and going first you could lay down some real hurt on many armies; your biggest problem is going to be games where you don't go first, because I'm not sure how much of a plan you have there. Eldar allies might shore things up there- you could grab an Archon on a bike for the +1 reserves and he could hang with the Reavers to maybe soak up wounds and cause trouble with a Lance or something.

HiveCommander posted:

AbusePuppy, don't you also run 3++ as well, or at least provide a crapton of content on that site? I remember seeing your username all over that site whenever I check the site out.

Yeah, I'm the main writer there (especially these days.) I don't get to do it as much anymore due to work schedule and other obligations, but I still try to get a post in every week or so.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

I'm not him but I live in Vancouver and am always down to meet more players. Hixson, koreban and I play regularly with a couple other guys and Bulbasaur comes up 3-4 times a year to play too.

Oh poo poo and you're new? drat kid, :getin:

Very new, yeah. I bought a Blood Angels Tactical Squad and a Rhino last weekend and that is the extent of my army.
I'm definitely up for playing with goons at some point. I live in Beaverton so it may be a bit of a drive but you all seems like a pretty fun bunch so it will likely be worth it.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Incubi are surprisingly good when paired with a Haemonoculi from the Coven Detachment, which honestly is pretty easy to get into your army and still get good units. Can't complain about a Fearless unit that starts off with FNP, then get's Furious Charge 1 turn early. No grenades though

I might take the Incubi out of the Venoms and put a five-man Blaster squad of Warriors in there instead; I'm probably going to be facing off against IG, so I'm going to need a lot of anti-armor instead of the anti-infantry build I'm looking at with the list I posted.

quote:

I'd suggest stuff but no one knows what else you have.

More Venoms, Hellions, six Grotesques, more Wyches than you can shake a stick at, Haemonculi, about twenty Incubi, lots of Raiders, one more Ravager, and around twenty Scourges, half with splinter rifles and the other half with different kinds of special weapons. Oh, and two Taloi. (I'm thinking of running them as Cronos for the extra FNP shenanigans.)

Thanks for the help so far! :)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I'm a casual Fantasy player starting a 40k army. I'm looking at the Chaos Daemons, but am also intrigued by the Grey Knights. Do Pure Grey Knights lists work, or are they better off allying with another faction?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been reading up on the fall of rome and realized that this:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Council_of_Nikaea

Was based heavily on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

(which led to heresy)

All of you probably knew this already, but I thought it was cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It looks like you have 2 Formations from the Coven Codex that you could use. If you are curious as to the Coven formations here is a handy list of them. http://bloodofkittens.com/formation-compendium/ , it tells you a bit about each one but all the special rules are in fact missing.

So here are some options you've got

5 Scourges w/ 4 Haywire Blasters : 120 points, probably the best Anti-Tank deep striking squad in the game, the Haywire blasters have good range at 24" so you don't have to worry about having to deep strike close to tanks with the heat lances.

Formations

Grotesquirie
3x Grotesques (105) w/ 1 Abberation (10) w/ Scissorhands (10)*
Raider (55)
Total : 180

3x Grotesques w/
Raider
Total : (160)

Haemonoculis (75)

Minimum Cost for the Formation is : 395

* You save 20 points a squad if you don't take a Abberation with Scissorhands, but he's a good model to have when you consider he get's ST5 , Rending. Not totally neccessary and of course optional if you don't have one.

Get's Fearless, Turn 2 , Eventually getting it will not die. It's actually more wounds per model than your Incubi squads.

They get their own special chart from the Coven Detachment which gives them some pretty nice bonuses. They'll tear through a Imperial Guard army like white on rice.

Formation

Dark Artisan

Haemonoculus (75)
Webway (35)
Sump (10)
Vexxator (10)
Flesh Gauntlet (10)
Nightmare Doll (35)
This is the load out I like

Talos (125)

Cronos w/
( Spirit Probe)

Minimum cost of the formation : 300
Actual Minimum cost because you always want to take a Web Way Portal : 335
Special Rules : The Talos and Cronos get 1 more WS and 1 more Initiative.

You should just use the Dark Eldar Raider Detachment for 6 Fast Attack. That'll get you some more room in the FA slot to throw in some Scourges if you decide to.
You should absolutely add the Scourges with Haywire blasters since you have them. They are nasty and no one knows what a Haywire Blaster or Eldar weapons look like anyway so it doesn't really matter what you have as long as it's 4 of the same thing people won't or shouldn't say anything.

If you don't want to use the Raider detachment, consider dropping 1 squad of Warriors and buffing out the others to a full ten, and that can go towards your points for a squad of Scourges. You'll have to sacrifice taking 3 squads of 6 reavers or take 1 squad of six and 1 squad of 9. I think this will eek you by for getting a squad of Scourges into that 3rd fast attack slot.

They can kill a Vehicle a turn pretty much.

If you don't want to use the Coven Detachment, consider taking a squad of Grotesques in your army instead of Incubi and including a Haemonoculus in the squad so they have a decent leadership. You have the models, their a insanely good unit. They also have ST5 and if in a normal Dark Eldar detachment get Furious Charge. Not that they need it since they have Flesh Gauntlets but they can hit rear armour on vehicles.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 23, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Incarnate Dao posted:

I'm a casual Fantasy player starting a 40k army. I'm looking at the Chaos Daemons, but am also intrigued by the Grey Knights. Do Pure Grey Knights lists work, or are they better off allying with another faction?

The Nemesis Strikeforce is pretty cool, and super thematic.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Incarnate Dao posted:

Grey Knights often want to include at least a little bit of other stuff to fill some gaps, but their best candidate (Inquisition) is pretty fluffy and easy to access, so it's typically not a big deal. GK are largely relegated to one particular build these days unless you want to do the Centurionstar gimmick army that is floating around, but it's at least a neat army since it does the "everything deep strikes and most of it comes in turn 1" thing along with a few other cute abilities.

Chaos Daemons are more flexible in some other ways, as they have several major builds that work well, but it can be tough to build a force that is both effective and thematic with them if you don't like the handful of mono-god armies that exist. But they do have a lot more units to choose from, whereas GK are fairly limited in their options.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

I've been reading up on the fall of rome and realized that this:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Council_of_Nikaea

Was based heavily on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

(which led to heresy)

All of you probably knew this already, but I thought it was cool.

When I read Morte d'Arthur last semester, I came to conclusion that the Emperor is King Arthur, Horus is Sir Mordred, and the other Primarchs are the Knights of the Round Table.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 23, 2015

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

I'm not him but I live in Vancouver and am always down to meet more players. Hixson, koreban and I play regularly with a couple other guys and Bulbasaur comes up 3-4 times a year to play too.

Oh poo poo and you're new? drat kid, :getin:

That hurts...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
With regards to the Dark Eldar list, I'm of the opinion that Night Shields on kabalite gunboats are mandatory.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Very new, yeah. I bought a Blood Angels Tactical Squad and a Rhino last weekend and that is the extent of my army.

Hell yeah, son! That's a great start!

quote:

I'm definitely up for playing with goons at some point. I live in Beaverton so it may be a bit of a drive but you all seems like a pretty fun bunch so it will likely be worth it.

I'm over in Gresham, so it'd be a bit of a drive, however Panascope should be a good midway place to meet up and play on weekends.

I play (most) Wednesday nights at a shop in Gresham called Nexus Games. Just putting it out there that if you have that particular evening open and don't mind a bit of a drive, that's one option.

Good to have new blood in the hobby out here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LordAba posted:

I'm not sure of what the price point is (though I assume it's automatically better than GW), but Secret Weapon makes some good washes.

From my FIGS down here in Australia the Secret Weapon washes are $2.99 for 20ml and Citadel are $4.99 for 12ml. The SW ones are also really good and have a nice colour range, so consequently I've got a nice selection of them now.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ghetto wormhole posted:

At least Abusepuppy isn't a huge dick like Nephilm or Corrode always were.

I can see why you think Neph was a huge dick, but Corrode? Dude always seemed helpful to me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lungboy posted:

I can see why you think Neph was a huge dick, but Corrode? Dude always seemed helpful to me.

Yeah he wasn't as bad as Neph for sure. I think he just got tired of correcting people and started being kind of a dick about it a lot of the time. But nobody was making him give people list advice sooooooo

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

What time do preorders usually go up these days? I seem to recall 7pm GMT?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Star Man posted:

Can anyone recommend me a manufacturer that makes ink washes for models in large quantaties? I want to do a blue wash over a whole bunch of Tyranid models and don't want to buy ten pots of GW or whoevers 3.5 mL pot of ink.

What Slimnoid and Bulbasaur said - making your own washes are about an order of magnitude cheaper than GW prices: http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/my-homemade-washes/ I premake the mix and store it in small disposable food containers (what dips and sauces come in from the Chinese or Indian takeaway), ready to drop in inks. 12ml of GW wash is £2.30 and homemade is 29p (plus your container cost, I use reusable supermarket pre-made soup containers)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

I premake the mix and store it in small disposable food containers (what dips and sauces come in from the Chinese or Indian takeaway)

Little plastic soy sauce fish filled with washes :magical:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha, more like this:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The Deredeo pattern Dreadnought is a dedicated heavy support frame, though it shares many core components and systems with the more general assault-based Contemptor class. Initially deployed in limited numbers to each of the Legions due to difficulties in its manufacture, its durability and firepower saw demand for the Deredeo pattern dramatically increase after the outbreak of the Horus Heresy.

The Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought is a multi-part resin kit which includes the sarcophagus-mounted heavy bolters or heavy flamer options and an 80mm plastic base. This model is available to pre-order now and will be despatched from Friday January 30th. Experimental rules using the Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought in games of Warhammer 40,000 and the Horus Heresy can be found here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
New base size?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Looks like it. So now we have 25, 25x70, 30 clear, 32, 40, 50, 55 clear, 60, 80, 90x120 and 100x160.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I'm still not that big a fan of that model and from looking at the rules I'm unsure what it really does over a contemptor with dual assault cannons and a missile launcher. More range? Higher strength and Sunder's cool, I guess, but it doesn't seem to stand out that much.

On the other hand, I'm curious how people are going to end up pronouncing "Deredeo".

Edit: I will admit that I've warmed up to the model a little bit now that we can see the whole thing. I just find it underwhelming and on the bad side of goofy.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 23, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm most excited about the missile launcher. I'm going to slam it ontop of my predator tanks to make them into a cool looking whirlwind scorpius.

Looking at the rules, the anvilus autocannons are worse than the cheaper accelerator autocanons on the sicaran. The stat line is almost the same as the thudd gun with sunder shells, but you take 3 of those for the cost of a single dodo. It's only real perks over a mortis are a better missile launcher and re-rolling against armor pen. It'll be good against fliers, for sure, but a mortis does it just as well for less.

TLDR:

Safety Factor posted:

I'm unsure what it really does over a contemptor with dual assault cannons and a missile launcher.

e: Looks like the pieces are modular so chances are we'll get some other cool weapon options for the arms and turret. Imagine this guy with quad lascanon arms. That would murderize fliers.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 23, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
For Codex: Space Marine armies only, blah.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahaha. Amazing. Not even HH rules. FW's legendary editing team strikes again.

e:

According to a nerd on another forum:

quote:

Having just preordered mine, the chap on the phone confirmed there will be at least 2 more weapon options and another option in place of the missile launcher and rules will be in the next book.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 23, 2015

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Safety Factor posted:

On the other hand, I'm curious how people are going to end up pronouncing "Deredeo".

Da Radio (mon) in a terribly racist West Indian accent.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Da Radio (mon) in a terribly racist West Indian accent.

I'm rolling with a Spanish pronunciation. I really want to hear one of the designers try and say it though since the Brits I work with couldn't say jalapeño right if their life depended on it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

Well, since we are all extreme gamers there is only one way to pronounce it: Doritos

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Needs a tshirt that says, "THIS ROBOT IS PROGRAMMED TO gently caress YOUR MOUTH."

Also: looking forward to pictures of people getting twin linked loopy spaghetti noodles in the mail.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Post 9-11 User posted:

Needs a tshirt that says, "THIS ROBOT IS PROGRAMMED TO gently caress YOUR MOUTH."

Also: looking forward to pictures of people getting twin linked loopy spaghetti noodles in the mail.

It's not twin linked for some reason.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lungboy posted:

It's not twin linked for some reason.

Yes it is?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
A bit of a retread of a recent pic, but I had a second at home this morning and the difference an online picture editor and Photoshop is pretty huge in terms of quality.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a bunch of my current stuff home today and get some photos that aren't at my desk.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Meh. For 15 pts more you can get a mortis with 3x the shots which rend. I mean it's cool but just doesn't occupy a niche?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Some lists can spare a HS slot easier than they can an elite one.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
"Ignores intervening obstacles to line of sight in open terrain"

what.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If the model's in open terrain, ignore any terrain and models between the firer and the target.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Hra Mormo posted:

"Ignores intervening obstacles to line of sight in open terrain"

what.

ignores intervening obstacles if the target is in open terrain and rerolls failed armor pen rolls on S6. Rerolls failed pens on S8. Clearly this is just an overpriced Mortis Contemptor :rolleyes:

e: fixed gun stats

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
How much does a Mortis cost? Deredeo is only 50% more expensive than an utterly ordinary rifleman dread.

• Locked thread