Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My second splurge of birthday money on gunpla has happened.

HG F91, HG Victory Gundam and my first RG, Exia :black101:

Like I've said: Exia is fantastic except for the translucent bits that go over the shiny silver decals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Gafran's finally cleaned up enough to join my collection. It's the third-tallest suit in the lot (at least until I finish my Danazine), and it isn't much shorter than the Abigor.

Even crouching down it's taller than the Kampfer.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Tamiya tool stuff is olfa. If you can find olfa tools, buy them, they are the same. I have a bigass olfa cutting mat that cost me 15 bucks in a hardware shop.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Gafran's finally cleaned up enough to join my collection. It's the third-tallest suit in the lot (at least until I finish my Danazine), and it isn't much shorter than the Abigor.

Even crouching down it's taller than the Kampfer.

What suit is that in the bottom right with the Alibaba style shoes?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jesus the sengoku astray this is the first time I've spread out panel lining a kit over the course of a couple days. This is starting to remind me of the old 90's wing kits in terms of panel lines

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kibner posted:

What suit is that in the bottom right with the Alibaba style shoes?

Well, since I used most of the cool Deathscythe Hell Custom / Nataku parts on the Abigor, I turned the rest of them into a grunt suit. It's mostly Nataku with Deathscythe's lower arms and feet, and the Deathscythe head with the v-fin trimmed off.

And a really terrible and quickly-done paint. I was using it as a test paint to see how light colors work over black panel lines (result: not well, without a darker foundation). Ultimately decided that color combo was too ugly to use on a real suit, but I learned quite a bit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, since I used most of the cool Deathscythe Hell Custom / Nataku parts on the Abigor, I turned the rest of them into a grunt suit. It's mostly Nataku with Deathscythe's lower arms and feet, and the Deathscythe head with the v-fin trimmed off.

And a really terrible and quickly-done paint. I was using it as a test paint to see how light colors work over black panel lines (result: not well, without a darker foundation). Ultimately decided that color combo was too ugly to use on a real suit, but I learned quite a bit.

It's still a pretty neat looking kitbash, kudos!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the explanation! That is pretty neat, even if not executed to the level you wanted. :)

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Is there a company that makes replacement polycaps, or just a general polycap replacement that can be used for making custom joints? I was looking at this but the tiny pictures that they have leave a lot to the imagination.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Look into Kotobukiya's Model Support Goods. They're not polyethylene or whatever polycaps are made out of, but they have a wide variety of joints.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

0x0hShit posted:

Is there a company that makes replacement polycaps, or just a general polycap replacement that can be used for making custom joints? I was looking at this but the tiny pictures that they have leave a lot to the imagination.

Yellow Submarine makes some great polycap joints, depending on what scale you're looking for. I'd link, but a brief search-fu has failed my bourbon-addled and sleepy mind. I know Hobbylink Japan used to carry them, but now a search only returns results for a Beatles Yellow Submarine kit, so I'm having a WTF moment.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
What is the simplest and least potentially gently caress uppable way to add material to a piece? The white piece that goes over the translucent blue on one of my Build Burning's forearms/elbows is falling off goddamn constantly, and I think that's the only way I can fix it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Topcoat.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Well, I feel dumb; I was probably about to go try putty in some capacity. :shobon: Topcoat is definitely simpler.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Almost any paint will suffice really. Also handy for tightening loose joints.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Cait Sith and Transient Gundam both got kits announced. The RG 00 Gundam also got some new pictures. Looks like it comes with the big-rear end switchblade and they're all out in April.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cait Sith and Transient Gundam both got kits announced. The RG 00 Gundam also got some new pictures. Looks like it comes with the big-rear end switchblade and they're all out in April.

drat Transient is pretty. And the spear turns into a guitar? Hopefully they round out the Gunpla Academy kits with Saga's suit (The End? I forget), which I assumed wasn't being released when I saw it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

BizarroAzrael posted:

drat Transient is pretty. And the spear turns into a guitar? Hopefully they round out the Gunpla Academy kits with Saga's suit (The End? I forget), which I assumed wasn't being released when I saw it.

The last one remaining is The End. I can't help but wonder if they're holding those off for later so that they can surprise us with some kinda gimmick in the show that isn't immediately obvious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nah, it opens up into a claw to grab-and-snip some poor fucker's gunpla in half. There's a brief shot of it opening in the OP I think.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so this was posted in the gundam thread

i've never needed a gunpla so bad

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Condiv posted:

so this was posted in the gundam thread

i've never needed a gunpla so bad

I've always said it was the ugly duckling of the Zeta lineup.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Warmachine posted:

The Genosaurer is pretty sweet too. Zoids are pretty sweet. That's another collection of models that disappeared into the aether with my childhood. :(

I blame this quote for making me look up the Shadow Fox on Amazon. On the other hand, one was in stock through a Prime seller. And since I didn't have anything to do at work last night,

This is also my first Kotobukiya kit ever, and my only complaints are that some of the pieces are really tiny and difficult to work with, and that one spot on the back that needed some glue to stay in place. I do like that it came with a pre-painted pilot figure, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't decide if the first kit I airbrush should be a master grade or a high grade in case I mess up. The high grade is cheaper but I think the master grade size is gonna be way easier to work with. I need to use my gunpla lifeline.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tenzarin posted:

I can't decide if the first kit I airbrush should be a master grade or a high grade in case I mess up. The high grade is cheaper but I think the master grade size is gonna be way easier to work with. I need to use my gunpla lifeline.

You can get a high grade Genoace for 11 bucks on amazon, seems like a really good test platform: http://smile.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Genoace-Gundam-Age/dp/B0058KSCTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421975256&sr=8-1&keywords=genoace

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You can also grab a monogram or revell ship and spray the hull pieces to get an impression of how the airbrush controls and the effects you can get.

Or tamiya, I guess. Given which thread this is.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Probably the best no-risk option for airbrush practice would be one or two 100-count packs of white plastic spoons, which will give you a lot more raw material to work with than any comparably priced model kit.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bimmi posted:

Probably the best no-risk option for airbrush practice would be one or two 100-count packs of white plastic spoons, which will give you a lot more raw material to work with than any comparably priced model kit.

This is ABSOLUTELY the best suggestion. This way you can practice on appropriate material of the appropriate size and play with different techniques. There's a reason working with spoons as a sample is kinda standard.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So is this P-Bandai HGUC 1/144 RX-80PR Pale Rider [Heavy Equipment Ver] going to likely be the only other release of the pale rider besides the one that shipped with that Limited Edition version of that game? It's a really awesome suit but I'd rather not buy it now if there's any chance of a standard release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok, looks like spoons are the way to go, thanks.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What is a good place to buy vintage 1980's gunpla like Zaku IIs or a RX-78-2?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Find an established mom and pop hobby store that never marks anything down. You'd be astonished at what you can find gathering dust.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You know what? I haven't done a sale alert in a while.

HG
Sinanju is $14 off.
Master Gundam is $13 off.

RG
Aile Strike is $13 off.
The AEUG mkII is almost $15 off.

MG
Exia is almost 50% off. Look at the other sellers if Japan Hobbyone bothers you.
MG Deathscythe is straight up 54% off, though considering it's being sold for 200% that averages up to just barely under the original japanese price.
The G-Fighter is also almost 50% off. Only one left though.
00 SS is $36 off.

Kotobukiya
The Brasta is 50% off.
This weird "One Shot Bug Killer Hoi Hoi-San" thing is only $10.
An Armored Core D-style is only $20.

And on the weirder end of the scale, MG Kamen Rider Accel is a whopping $45 off. All of the Figurerises seem to be on sale, so now's your chance if you ever wanted one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
drat! I'm playing Z2 right now so that Brasta is perfectly timed. AND it ships to the UK hell yeah.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Ka0 posted:

I have a boxed MSV Perfect Zeong in my basement that will never get built. I think I found it in a hobby shop a billion years ago.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

ughh I have a backlog of like 8 kits but I picked up the exia. I just can't resist that drat suit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm about halfway through my first RG, Exia, and I am now tangibly afraid of it, because that thing is a figure made entirely of the potential energy of something on the verge of exploding into a billion tiny pieces.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm about halfway through my first RG, Exia, and I am now tangibly afraid of it, because that thing is a figure made entirely of the potential energy of something on the verge of exploding into a billion tiny pieces.

I get that same feeling working on the HG Banshee Destroy, oddly enough. Particularly around the elbows.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

The Muffinlord posted:

I have a boxed MSV Perfect Zeong in my basement that will never get built. I think I found it in a hobby shop a billion years ago.

Ugh, I want to buy that but backlog :-(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

HG
Sinanju is $14 off.
Master Gundam is $13 off.

RG
Aile Strike is $13 off.
The AEUG mkII is almost $15 off.

MG
Exia is almost 50% off. Look at the other sellers if Japan Hobbyone bothers you.
MG Deathscythe is straight up 54% off, though considering it's being sold for 200% that averages up to just barely under the original japanese price.
The G-Fighter is also almost 50% off. Only one left though.
00 SS is $36 off.

Kotobukiya
The Brasta is 50% off.
This weird "One Shot Bug Killer Hoi Hoi-San" thing is only $10.
An Armored Core D-style is only $20.

And on the weirder end of the scale, MG Kamen Rider Accel is a whopping $45 off. All of the Figurerises seem to be on sale, so now's your chance if you ever wanted one.

Hoihoi san was a cool manga actually, the robots are little exterminator robots.

It's mostly making fun of otaku and their need to constantly be buying things they don't really need.

I guess it's kind of funny that they started making real merchandise for them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think there's a sequel running now but I don't know if its good or not, anyways you should give Hoihoisan a shot if you ever find it somewhere.