Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
your opinion is the video game equivalent of "yeah i love to eat human poo poo but i realize it's not for everyone" so of course nobody's going to be convinced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

No, it's a piece of poo poo.

Exactly, it's the best that could come from Sakamoto's dumb demands, which is awful.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Motto posted:

They did their best after getting hired to make a 3D action game, and then the director said he really needed the game to exclusively play with the sideways Wiimote.

Sure but every game they've made since has also sucked so maybe Team Ninja just sucks without Itagaki.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I was in my local Walmart and they had a bunch of copies of Other M priced at $70. I had a good laugh and thought I would share.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sure but every game they've made since has also sucked so maybe Team Ninja just sucks without Itagaki.

Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't too hot either honestly. I really can't think of a game of theirs that's been super good since Ninja Gaiden Black.

Also you can throw around as many participation awards and "they tried"s and "it was only bad because of blah blah whoever whatever"s you want but at the end of the day they made a bad game. They did something wrong. Their game was bad.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"Samus, you're not allowed to use any of the gear you're are highly familiar and experienced with, until I allow it piece-by-piece."

"Okay then, I'm gonna go run through the lethally-hot environment until you say it's okay to use my fireproof Varia Suit :downs:."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

absolutely anything posted:

Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't too hot either honestly. I really can't think of a game of theirs that's been super good since Ninja Gaiden Black.

I am genuinely interested with Itagaki's Devil's Third though...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Motto posted:

Exactly, it's the best that could come from Sakamoto's dumb demands, which is awful.

Then you say "we can't make it and meet those demands." Feature negotiation is part of third party design.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

He was responsible for a lot of the bad general decisions regarding Other M but the internet's fixation on Sakamoto and acting like he was hovering over every programmer and smacking the keyboard out of their poor frightened hands if one even dared to attempt to put anything good in the game is really dumb and weird

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status/558327844510527488?s=09

Retro

Retroooooooo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I just want to say, you are consistently the post poster in this thread.

Retro Studios is proud to announce their work...on Wii Sports 3: Corruption

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does Hyrule Warriors count? It has its problems, but holy poo poo if I can't stop playing it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Goin Bananas

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He was responsible for a lot of the bad general decisions regarding Other M but the internet's fixation on Sakamoto and acting like he was hovering over every programmer and smacking the keyboard out of their poor frightened hands if one even dared to attempt to put anything good in the game is really dumb and weird

*Long-winded post about Nintendo's traditionalist hierarchical structure and how it's basically impossible to question or refuse what the director tells you*

Then again, Team Ninja isn't really known for making really great games. Except Hyrule Warriors but I dunno what they even did on that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

*Long-winded post about Nintendo's traditionalist hierarchical structure and how it's basically impossible to question or refuse what the director tells you*

Then again, Team Ninja isn't really known for making really great games. Except Hyrule Warriors but I dunno what they even did on that

I have a theory:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Does Hyrule Warriors count? It has its problems, but holy poo poo if I can't stop playing it.

Hyrule Warriors is good, but to my knowledge, it's really just building upon a VERY well-trodden and well-refined framework. The Dynasty Warriors games are basically a genre unto themselves. It IS a great game though, and Team Ninja's pedigree is still in good shape as far as I'm concerned. Besides Other M, have they really had a terrible misstep? I loved Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2. I even liked the super ultra fudge double-stuffed version they did for the PS3. It was a fair shade easier, but it ran smooth and all the weapons just felt right.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait Hyrule Warriors isn't made by the Musuo people?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait Hyrule Warriors isn't made by the Musuo people?

It is, Team Ninja co-developed with Omega Force.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It is, Team Ninja co-developed with Omega Force.

Nintendo's collecting studios, that's been their big thing with the Wii U, to address their lack of third party support. Platinum, Team Ninja, Good Feelings Studio (or whoever does the Epic Yarn poo poo). They've kind of lost Ubisoft, but Ubi dropped ship almost immediately after getting on board. Team Ninja's involved in the upcoming Igarashi-helmed game, right? With the tattoo guy? So that'd be three pretty prominent titles they've done for Nintendo. They seem to want to nurture good, talented teams to make games, regardless of their immediate sellability.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nintendo's collecting studios, that's been their big thing with the Wii U, to address their lack of third party support. Platinum, Team Ninja, Good Feelings Studio (or whoever does the Epic Yarn poo poo). They've kind of lost Ubisoft, but Ubi dropped ship almost immediately after getting on board. Team Ninja's involved in the upcoming Igarashi-helmed game, right? With the tattoo guy? So that'd be three pretty prominent titles they've done for Nintendo. They seem to want to nurture good, talented teams to make games, regardless of their immediate sellability.

You can add Itagaki's Valhalla Game Studios for Devil's Third to that list. That game was destined for PS3/360 under THQ. When THQ went under Nintendo picked up the pieces to have them make Devil's Third for the Wii U exclusively.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Itagaki =/= Igarashi

Itagaki is the ex-Team Ninja guy who's making Devil's Third at his new studio (Valhalla), Igarashi is the ex-Konami/Castlevania guy who quit to go make his dream game only to go work for a mobile dev a few months later when he couldn't find an investor.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Itagaki =/= Igarashi

Itagaki is the ex-Team Ninja guy who's making Devil's Third at his new studio (Valhalla), Igarashi is the ex-Konami/Castlevania guy who quit to go make his dream game only to go work for a mobile dev a few months later when he couldn't find an investor.

Fuckin' Japanese names are hard to keep straight at 2 AM. At least I had the right vowel.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Motto posted:

They did their best after getting hired to make a 3D action game, and then the director said he really needed the game to exclusively play with the sideways Wiimote.
The simplified controls really cut the gameplay off at the knees. I think if you could run around with the nunchuck, aim manually at all times with the IR pointer, and if dodge had a dedicated button- the gameplay would actually be pretty awesome. But of course that still leaves all the other problems.

Also, if any of you guys have a new3DS you can see what Other M looks like in 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIw7tJY6YcA
Apart from her arm cannon when aiming in first person it looks really good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Famitsu is streaming Pokken on NND right now, it's... interesting? Not as Tekken-y as one might imagine, even though Pikachu is basically Heihachi.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv203636058

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know what I hate more, the game or the person playing it

Why is this popular enough to show up in the miiverse thing when I start up my console?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Greenlight page for Meme Run claims it's the "third best selling eShop game". I dunno if that means it hit #3 on the sales charts one time or if it's legitimately doing better than real actual games for non-children but it's depressing either way.

I guess the silver lining is that it just reinforces the fact that there's a market on Wii U for your games, no matter how inane, so if you're working on something you think is neat you might as well release on Wii U.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I gotta say, Pokken started looking a whole lot more promising after those last two matches.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Quest For Glory II posted:

This would be my ideal announcement, yes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quest For Glory II posted:

They've done 3 Metroid Primes, it's only fair :colbert:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's time for Retro to let another studio handle the Donkey Kong franchise.

Donkey Kong: Other Kong, coming 2016 from Team Ninja!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
thumbs down

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Please no Candy Kong is already bad enough.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...the baby..............................

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is any of the Pokken stream stuff recorded anywhere?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

Is any of the Pokken stream stuff recorded anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPbzSfBXm6s

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Many thanks

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

When I said Team Ninja did nothing wrong, I meant it. You want to poo poo on the story, you can blame Sakamoto, the co-creator of the Metroid series.
Team Ninja made a restricted, cut-down mediocre at best game under the supervision of an uninhibited hack. Retro made a ground-breaking, bold jump into more complex mechanics, world-building, combat, etc. with a beloved Nintendo IP.

Even if you don't like Prime I cannot begin to fathom how you could like Other M more.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Other M is not cute.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

hopeandjoy posted:

The only Metroid game I've played in my life is the original NES one (and I suck) and the only FPS-ish but not really game I've played is Portal. Would it be a waste of $10 to buy the Metroid Prime trilogy when it is released?

Two pages late on this but stop whatever you're doing and buy Super Metroid on whatever virtual console you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

...the baby..............................

Donkey Kong characters are loving hideous holy poo poo

• Locked thread