Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

I'm loving the continued storytelling in the SMRPG descriptions.

Me too. I hope Liam keeps it up through the entire LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TriffTshngo posted:

Yes, Super Mario RPG and Dark Souls are basically the same level of complexity.

Aka being obnoxious as the other posters.

In fact, like NeoGAF. When you are posting that you want to shout at them, you may wanna chill out.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

No, that's still Invictus

but he was the victim lol

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
If that lp goes on for like 40 parts, Liam will have written an entire fanfic novel

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Pretty sure Woolie's behind the SMRPG video descriptions. No one in the entire world knows about Alien Soldier except Woolie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Depths posted:

If that lp goes on for like 40 parts, Liam will have written an entire fanfic novel

They should just make Liam lead writer for the next Hyperdimension Neptunia or whatever the actual videogame-as-people game was called.

Also, thank God they learned about the run button and timed spells this episode, now people can shut the hell up find something else to constructively blow a gasket over.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
haha, they played a third of a baby game for babies without the slightest understanding of half the basic commands and actions that most people figured out when they were seven years old, it's okay to give them immense poo poo for it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Perfect Potato posted:

haha, they played a third of a baby game for babies without the slightest understanding of half the basic commands and actions that most people figured out when they were seven years old, it's okay to give them immense poo poo for it.

This is more like...a sixth, I think. Maybe I'm overestimating the length, but I don't think this is a third. Plus, most RPGs of this era didn't have run buttons, IIRC (FF6 needed a Relic). It's not that hard to figure out, but I can see why they'd gently caress up.

Also, Pat is about as tall as a seven year old and Liam is seven years old, so what's your point again?

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Dias posted:

This is more like...a sixth, I think. Maybe I'm overestimating the length, but I don't think this is a third. Plus, most RPGs of this era didn't have run buttons, IIRC (FF6 needed a Relic). It's not that hard to figure out, but I can see why they'd gently caress up.

Also, Pat is about as tall as a seven year old and Liam is seven years old, so what's your point again?

He would be a giant 7 year old. Huge. A 7 year old other 7 year olds are taught to fear.

12 year olds on the other hand...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Pat would bite. No one fucks with That Kid Who Bites.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Entirely Liam who writes the Mario RPG descriptions, btw.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Can there not be linebreaks in the website's descriptions? I would've thought it was Pat smoking a chore boy pipe while writing those blocks of text.

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 23, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know if it helps I've finished SMRPG like 4 times and I didn't know there was a duck/slide

I still kinda refuse to believe it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You know if it helps I've finished SMRPG like 4 times and I didn't know there was a duck/slide

I beat it twice, ten years apart. Never knew about it either.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
"'Jump while running to make it up the...' run? OH MY GOD WE'RE IDIOTS!"

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

Everyone attacking that one dude for saying "don't talk about this thing on the podcast" made me sad :(. This thread has gone on a long streak without having an accident, and then everyone tripped into the cow grinder.

What are you talking about? Some random person showing up to start shouting apropos of nothing that we need to pretend like some stupid game doesn't exist because I guess the maker is a creep?

The attempt to prevent 'signal boosting' the problematic game you are doing exactly that. No one knew about it until people brought it up.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Matt, a suggestion if you do another solo project: stop being so self-depreciating, man! We're watching the video because it says it's just Matt, you don't have to soften us up by calling yourself bad at the game and saying you're gonna "shut up" for stuff. Really gets me bummed when you start making GBS threads on yourself, which takes away from the vid. Love the LP of NMH regardless, since getting inside info into all the weird stuff is super interesting, and you're not half-bad at the game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Silentman0 posted:

"'Jump while running to make it up the...' run? OH MY GOD WE'RE IDIOTS!"

At least it happened now at not at, like, Marrymore. I could see a kid not bothering to read the instructions and never knowing you can run, get to the chapel, and then just get stuck at the door because they don't know you can run/can't understand how to time it.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
It aggravates me so much that people so up and post about how this is the current state of affairs :( like they didn't stir the pot exactly to reach this conclusion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda impressed they made it as far as they did in that dungeon. I'm not sure if that was intended on the designers.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I usually hate face cams, but I really wish there was video of them figuring out the run button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rhonne posted:

I usually hate face cams, but I really wish there was video of them figuring out the run button.

This, but with that moment where they all went OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGHHHHHHH when Lucas started doing crazy Matrix kung fu bullshit in Indigo Prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZnIUqxH70&t=753s

edit: Or the part where he is attacked by every piece of furniture in his apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g-7XiMvfLs&t=1285s

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

CJacobs posted:

This, but with that moment where they all went OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGHHHHHHH when Lucas started doing crazy Matrix kung fu bullshit in Indigo Prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZnIUqxH70&t=753s

edit: Or the part where he is attacked by every piece of furniture in his apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g-7XiMvfLs&t=1285s

I need to watch the Indigo Prophecy LP again. Woolie's hatred could probably burn through many screens.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I want the face cam for the Prison Break LP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

I want the face cam for the Prison Break LP.

But the face cam is superimposed on the protagonist's head.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

pulp rag posted:

Matt, a suggestion if you do another solo project: stop being so self-depreciating, man! We're watching the video because it says it's just Matt, you don't have to soften us up by calling yourself bad at the game and saying you're gonna "shut up" for stuff. Really gets me bummed when you start making GBS threads on yourself, which takes away from the vid. Love the LP of NMH regardless, since getting inside info into all the weird stuff is super interesting, and you're not half-bad at the game.

I don't think Matt is being genuinely self-deprecating, it always came off to me as Matt adding some color and lightheartedness to his commentary. I often say stuff like I suck at a game when I make a minor mistake as a joke.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was sitting in awe with my hands on my face throughout that entire Pipe Vault update :gonk:

Also, I was positive you were all just loving with me about the crouch thing in SMRPG but I guess that game is just full of secrets because holy poo poo it exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvrH-gsGBM&t=213s

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but it's probably one of the finicky things ever to pull off. I've spent almost an hour as a kid trying to duck under that dumb thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The NMH Playthrough is really good, but I have to be honest in bug/testing stories aside it's getting really, really boring to actually watch. It's not even Matt doing some great disservice or anything, it's just really really repetitive to me to the point where halfway through the beach level I just skipped to the boss fight as it was the only really interesting thing.

Does the game get better in that aspect in later levels? I never actually got around to the NMH series so not sure if it takes off anytime soon or if it's just one of those things that's not for me.

Also a random question but what's the Zaibatsu's thoughts on Kirby anyway? I know Woolie seems to love the lil guy and Pat's a fan of Dedede but after hearing Green Green's so much I can't help but be a little curious.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The NMH Playthrough is really good, but I have to be honest in bug/testing stories aside it's getting really, really boring to actually watch. It's not even Matt doing some great disservice or anything, it's just really really repetitive to me to the point where halfway through the beach level I just skipped to the boss fight as it was the only really interesting thing.

Does the game get better in that aspect in later levels? I never actually got around to the NMH series so not sure if it takes off anytime soon or if it's just one of those things that's not for me.

Also a random question but what's the Zaibatsu's thoughts on Kirby anyway? I know Woolie seems to love the lil guy and Pat's a fan of Dedede but after hearing Green Green's so much I can't help but be a little curious.

NMH has a couple playful or interesting things in some of it's lead ups, like the baseball minigame we saw earlier, and the beach is easily the worst of the lot. But they're never much more than a gauntlet with maybe a gimmick or two in there. Fighting and killing normal enemies feels really good, especially with the kill slashes, so while playing the game they're a lot more fun than watching them.

I know Liam also likes Kirby, but the reason the theme is Green Greens is that the first TBFP video ever was Kirby's Epic Yarn.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I didn't know about this either. :aaa:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Do not even ask posted:

No one in the entire world knows about Alien Soldier except Woolie.

Woolie is also an excellent Alien Soldier backseat gamer, as evidenced by him being a guest on Slowbeef's no death run. The hype he produced there was just unbelievable.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
What the gently caress. You can duck slide? Maybe I'm the idiot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The slow walking for the first 6 and a half episodes was almost worth it for their "OH MY GOD WE ARE SO STUPID" realization, immediately followed by Pat blaming Liam of course

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

floor is lava posted:

What the gently caress. You can duck slide? Maybe I'm the idiot.

To be fair, it's unintuitive as it gets- hold "down" while moving up-right on an isometric plane, which never comes up again.

The run stuff is so hilariously obvious tho and I think even the intro to the game (that they watched half of) shows Mario zipping around at full speed jumping on stuff so idk, but that's definitely some DSP level poo poo we saw in the pipe vault lol

I do feel kinda bad for Pat and Liam only cause that's one of those fuckups your close friends will (justifiably) never let you live down :frogbon:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

To be fair, it's unintuitive as it gets- hold "down" while moving up-right on an isometric plane, which never comes up again.

The run stuff is so hilariously obvious tho and I think even the intro to the game (that they watched half of) shows Mario zipping around at full speed jumping on stuff so idk, but that's definitely some DSP level poo poo we saw in the pipe vault lol

I do feel kinda bad for Pat and Liam only cause that's one of those fuckups your close friends will (justifiably) never let you live down :frogbon:

It's only DSP level if you blame the game for your badness.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Part of me wonders what would of happened if they did reset the game and continued slow walking for a few more episodes

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Part of me wonders what would of happened if they did reset the game and continued slow walking for a few more episodes

At that point, I think Pat would just commit suicide.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally listened to the podcast and I dunno if I'd call Shiki a mary sue, but he's sure as hell as boring and obnoxious as one. Melty Blood is a good game though, thank you Woolie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They recorded episodes up to episode 9, right? So episode 10 they'd start running because they would've read the comments.

Beef Waifu posted:

I finally listened to the podcast and I dunno if I'd call Shiki a mary sue, but he's sure as hell as boring and obnoxious as one. Melty Blood is a good game though, thank you Woolie.

Echoing this, Melty Blood is A Good Game regardless of what you think about Tsukihime and/or its characters. Also, from a game that started as a VN with sex scenes, it manages to be one of the few fighting games without gratuitous tittilation (at least not in the character designs, never bothered to play Arcade mode).