Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
he also accepted a prank call from a fake Koch brother and proceeded to kiss the fake ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm amazed that Scott Walker, an unattractive, chinless, weirdly balding guy with a poor jobs record and the subject of a recall election, is polling so strongly. He's like this cycle's Pawlenty; a VP candidate at best.

New Hampshire sucks.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

he also accepted a prank call from a fake Koch brother and proceeded to kiss the fake ring

This was amazing and got no media play :smith:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rygar201 posted:

This was amazing and got no media play :smith:

Yeah file that in the same folder as Darryl Issa's wacky arson/car theft past as oddly non-admissible.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Captain_Maclaine posted:

By acting as though he's already the candidate for the general, he's attempting to preempt the usual need to cater to the crazies during the primary, and indeed to position himself as the natural candidate who all the others must try to define themselves against. The problem, which Disinterested notes, is that the GOP practice for two elections now is for the primary to be a crazy-off between frothing lunatics and a few tepid money Republicans who have to act at least as nuts to avoid alienating the party base, so this could well backfire.

Nah. A sensible Republican makes a world of sense, considering Paul, Huckabee, etc. I think it stands a chance of reining in the idiots before this country looks even more like a bunch of entitled, demented big fat babies than we already do, thanks to Newt Gingrich, et al. I think Romney's chances don't look too bad really, nor the JEB, and having somebody with a grain of sense running for office will be doing everybody in the world a favor.

ED: And that's how you spell "rein in," BTW. Not "reign in."

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm amazed that Scott Walker, an unattractive, chinless, weirdly balding guy with a poor jobs record and the subject of a recall election, is polling so strongly. He's like this cycle's Pawlenty; a VP candidate at best.

"Having any quantity of black hair on top of their head" is enough to qualify you for 'handsome' in the GOP primary universe

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Now I'm hoping that Mitt claims the Republican party is too wacko, switches to Democrat, and tries to beat Hillary in the primaries. Possibly by attacking from the left.

Yeah, yeah, I know, but a guy can dream...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SnakePlissken posted:

Nah. A sensible Republican makes a world of sense, considering Paul, Huckabee, etc. I think it stands a chance of reining in the idiots before this country looks even more like a bunch of entitled, demented big fat babies than we already do, thanks to Newt Gingrich, et al. I think Romney's chances don't look too bad really, nor the JEB, and having somebody with a grain of sense running for office will be doing everybody in the world a favor.

ED: And that's how you spell "rein in," BTW. Not "reign in."

I think you're being wildly optimistic in thinking that the GOP base would tolerate a "sensible" Republican when there's more than enough loonies tossing them red meat, and I don't see much to suggest that the party has done any, let alone enough, soul-searching since 2012/2008 that might justify sidelining the lunatics during the primary.

I qualify "sensible" above as I don't really think Romney is that, nor that he's got a grain of sense given his past campaign behavior, nor even what one might look like these days. Old, dying Bob Dole, perhaps?

OctoberBlues posted:

Now I'm hoping that Mitt claims the Republican party is too wacko, switches to Democrat, and tries to beat Hillary in the primaries. Possibly by attacking from the left.

This has already been (sorta) predicted:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The Clinton dynasty stuff is because those two are seriously into ambition for its own sake. The Bushes just want to be president because well, darn it if you've been fortunate in life and your country calls on you to serve, you should really consider doing it. It wouldn't be patriotic and it wouldn't be like a Bush to turn down the honor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

The Clinton dynasty stuff is because those two are seriously into ambition for its own sake. The Bushes just want to be president because well, darn it if you've been fortunate in life and your country calls on you to serve, you should really consider doing it. It wouldn't be patriotic and it wouldn't be like a Bush to turn down the honor.
What do you mean by "ambition for its own sake," exactly?

Like I'm totally not gonna say they aren't career politicians. They clearly are. But their platforms are relatively less vomitous than anything else likely to come out, and Hillary Clinton would not replace Ruth Bader Ginsberg with Butch Otter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Nah man, he always hated healthcare. I'm still amazed his mormonism wasn't a bigger deal last time.

There was no way either side was going to play the religion card last election. It was unspoken but if you watch there was basically a big non-aggression pact on every side when it came to religion.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was no way either side was going to play the religion card last election. It was unspoken but if you watch there was basically a big non-aggression pact on every side when it came to religion.

Partially because no other candidate was strong on it (to the evangelical Protestants). If Romney goes nuclear on Huckabee, I'd expect to see something in response denigrating Mormons as not understanding "true" Christian values or whatever.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sullat posted:

Partially because no other candidate was strong on it (to the evangelical Protestants). If Romney goes nuclear on Huckabee, I'd expect to see something in response denigrating Mormons as not understanding "true" Christian values or whatever.

Which are, what? The centrists positions that Romney is staking out for himself rhetorically? Running for office from the left allows Romney to play up mormonism as more compasionate than Huckabee's religion, selling it as a more benign catholicism.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Which are, what? The centrists positions that Romney is staking out for himself rhetorically? Running for office from the left allows Romney to play up mormonism as more compasionate than Huckabee's religion, selling it as a more benign catholicism.

No idea, not a theologian. But the flavor of the religion matters a lot more than you'd think while sittinv on your liberal ivory tower. Many evangelicals are going to jump at a chance to vote for own of their own, especially if he starts pushing that difference. Whike nobody did in 2012 because it was a catholic and a mormon competing for those vites, if Romney takes the gloves of wrt Huckabee, I wouldn't be surprised to see a religious themed retaliation. Those "values" don't need to be defined precisely.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah file that in the same folder as Darryl Issa's wacky arson/car theft past as oddly non-admissible.

It's non-admissible because the combination of both sides do it-ism and O'Keefe's dildo cruise means that undercover journalism is permanently off the table as a way to discredit anything.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

What do you mean by "ambition for its own sake," exactly?

Well I mean, they are in love with having power and influence. I don't mean it as a smear but they are just a couple who thinks they were born to govern others. They're generally benevolent and plain-dealing but you know, come on. They're vampires who feed on adulation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

This would only work if Protestantism and Catholicism are weird mystery cults to the voters. They're not. Mormonism is never going to win in a religion off against anything more popular in America than Buddhism. There's nothing for Romney to hit back on because he can't imply Muslimosity and cries of Atheist Devil aren't going to hold water either.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QwertyAsher posted:

"Having any quantity of black hair on top of their head" is enough to qualify you for 'handsome' in the GOP primary universe

I think you set the bar too high - remember, Newt Gingritch is considered hot.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Wups! Just noticed in that super hot Auschwitz pic the Newt is wearing tabi socks or some paleo fitness running whatevers, for extra hotness.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 23, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

QwertyAsher posted:

Reptiles find other reptiles attractive.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Makes sense with the preacher poo poo. Still, the fact that mormonism is a joke (and not naturally likeable to an average Christian) and was officially very racist very recently AND has a Catholic style problem with its elders...

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 23, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Disinterested posted:

Makes sense with the preacher poo poo. Still, the fact that mormonism is a joke (and not naturally likeable to an average Christian) and was officially very racist very recently AND has a Catholic style problem with its elders...

Eh, the SBC was officially very racist (and unofficially still is) until very recently, so it's not as if that's a minus re: a Romney-Huckabee Jebus-off.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Eh, the SBC was officially very racist (and unofficially still is) until very recently, so it's not as if that's a minus re: a Romney-Huckabee Jebus-off.

I meant more I was surprised it didn't become an issue in the national - not necessarily from Obama, just in the press. Mitt's old enough to for sure have seen some of the super racist poo poo in Mormonism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disinterested posted:

I meant more I was surprised it didn't become an issue in the national - not necessarily from Obama, just in the press. Mitt's old enough to for sure have seen some of the super racist poo poo in Mormonism.

He has this goofy story about how when he heard a news report about the overturn of the "no black clergy" rule he broke down crying (in a good way.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Disinterested posted:

It did. When he was asked about it, Mitt said that when he heard on the radio that the national Mormon leadership had decided that blacks were really people, he pulled his car over to the side of the road and wept with joy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chantilly Say posted:

It did. When he was asked about it, Mitt said that when he heard on the radio that the national Mormon leadership had decided that blacks were really people, he pulled his car over to the side of the road and wept with joy.

Yeah and Hitler's head exploded with glee when he heard the Allies were liberating Berlin from the Nazis.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

It did. When he was asked about it, Mitt said that when he heard on the radio that the national Mormon leadership had decided that blacks were really people, he pulled his car over to the side of the road and wept with joy because he knew that corporations would one day join them.

FTFY

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah and Hitler's head exploded with glee when he heard the Allies were liberating Berlin from the Nazis.

I can believe that story. Whatever Mitt is or isn't, I don't believe racism is something he can be accused of.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I can believe that story. Whatever Mitt is or isn't, I don't believe racism is something he can be accused of.

I don't think he's David Duke racist, that's granted. However, he's guilty of the "oh I totally didn't know those people were hurt" racism that got internalized by a lot of people after straight-up lynchings became socially unpalatable. It's the kind of poo poo that manifests when old white folks say "colored" like it's perfectly acceptable. It's Plessy's "well I don't want to live next to them but it isn't like I think they're inferior" racism rather than dropping the N-word with venom. That's the kind of poo poo too many people just handwave away as someone being old and sticking to habit, or simply accepting that maybe they really do mean that rap music is inherently loud and frying chicken is a fire hazard. He was crying not out of mourning for his former superiority but because he didn't want the tabernacle to ring with the vibrant spirituals of southern baptism because it'd be what he thought all black people did in church. That's the kind of racism I'm accusing him of, the kind that people like Jefferson Beauregard Sessions The Third wish they were "only" guilty of.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

"Who let the dogs out? Who? Who?"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Mitt Romney is only really racist in the way that a lot of rich white people are, so it's arguably not much of a disqualifying factor for him until the revolution comes and he's ritually murdered.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SedanChair posted:

"Who let the dogs out? Who? Who?"

I'm not giving him a pass but this always came across as a general cultural tone-deafness to anything outside of his own bubble, not just on race issues. He was just as aggressively awkward around farmers or dock workers or anyone that wasn't massively wealthy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I know you're joking, but I seriously would not put it past ol' Mitt. His wife really really wants to be first lady and its not like the guy has any convictions beyond 'making a shitton of money' and 'keep wife happy so she leaves me alone to make shittons of money.'

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Necc0 posted:

I'm not giving him a pass but this always came across as a general cultural tone-deafness to anything outside of his own bubble, not just on race issues. He was just as aggressively awkward around farmers or dock workers or anyone that wasn't massively wealthy.
Watching the Republican candidate for president attend a NASCAR race and inadvertently insult most of the people he tried to mingle with was quite something. He made John Kerry look like Bruce Springsteen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

comes along bort posted:

The SBC wishes it was a hierarchical as a loose confederacy. Each member church is pretty much completely autonomous. This autonomy means that you can't compare the SBC to any hierarchic faith or sect on terms of evilness because the poo poo doesn't flow down from the top. It's a lake of poo poo fed from a million different tributaries, each of which can plausibly deny any floating turds not forensically linked to their particular waters.

You're not going to be able to link any Southern Baptist to anything further than their own preacher, and as Huck was that preacher he's got no 3rd party skeletons to worry about.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

SedanChair posted:

Well I mean, they are in love with having power and influence. I don't mean it as a smear but they are just a couple who thinks they were born to govern others. They're generally benevolent and plain-dealing but you know, come on. They're vampires who feed on adulation.

World you say they Run on Props?

http://youtu.be/KWecfzkKiIM

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The DNC will be held the week of July 25, 2016.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OH my god. If Romney runs again I'm SOOOOO looking forward to another Telemundo/Univision Oompa-Loompa moment.

He might even mention he watches Jane the Virgin and that it spreads good values. :swoon:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is there a reason convention season got bumped up a full month?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Its been in July before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Let's them spend general election money sooner.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 24, 2015

• Locked thread