Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

TrixR4kids posted:

Any goalie bag recommendations? I had a Brian's bags with a zipper that goes around 3/4 of the top cover but the Zippers broke. And now one of the corner seams is breaking.

I don't need anything fancy with wheels or whatever I just need something durable with a zipper that goes straight across.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/bags/carry-goalie-bags/warrior-goalie-equipment-pro-bag.html

These are quality bags.

Any bag made of this shiny plastic-y material will probably last a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I need to get the suction cup mount for my new go-pro, so that way Bradf0rd and I can cross record and give you double the video.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bootcha posted:

I need to get the suction cup mount for my new go-pro, so that way Bradf0rd and I can cross record and give you double the video.

That reminds me, I need to print a suction cup mount for mine.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So my B team and I managed to win the Pond championship with 4 dude and me as goalie. 4 dudes. I was standing on my head kicking poo poo out. 11-8 win. Admittedly, I had good players in front of me, but when you're ironman-ing it for 40 minutes after the 5th dude got kicked out for pissing off the ref, poo poo slides.

At the end of it, it wasn't so much a victory as a harrowing experience the (exceedingly reaching metaphoric) likes of WW2 Battle of the Bulge veterans who get the shakes recounting.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
So the team I've won 3 out of the last 4 seasons championships, and 3 out of the last 4 "top goalie" awards for the division I'm no longer playing for. My friend, who I co-captain with, had told me he wasn't playing on the team past this season, and then informed me yesterday another goalie and him were going to make a new team in our division, and he was planning on essentially taking 5 or 6 of our players, most of our better ones too. I told him that was unfair to the rest of the team, as it'd essentially kill the team, and it'd make this season a disaster, as once word got out, no one would want to play or put any extra effort it. Besides the fact that we were planning on purchasing jerseys, this was a terrible idea. Essentially all he was doing was replacing me, and the rest of the players that were either not good, or he didn't care about.

So I told him that was unfair to everyone, and if he's going to pull something like that, either find another league to make the team in, or just replace me so the rest of the team had somewhere to play, since apparently I was the only significant difference in the two teams. The funny thing is, the goalie he's doing with this is terrible. He filled in for us once like a year and a half ago, got shelled, and has 1 win in the last two seasons on his current team. So going back and forth about it, he then went in on that no one likes me, and I'm a detriment to the team because of my politics, which I know is a load of horseshit. He's got issue with it, but if theres anyone, there's 1 or 2 other guys that *might* but it prolly doesn't bother them enough to care when we're playing. So then I said if I'm such a terrible person, the team should have no problem with me being replaced, so he said fine, we're done.

Since that, I've had 3 or 4 guys contact me saying its BS, but nothing will change. Hopefully the team can continue on and he doesn't gut it, but I did what I could to salvage it for everyone else. I've also got a handful of teams that I can probably land with, it's just figuring out whats best for me. It's very disappointing though, the team that I've essentially built, gotten sponsors for, and have been so successful with, I'm done on. I looked at it lastnight, and through the four seasons, I was 28-4-1 in the regular season, and 8-1 in the playoffs, a shade over 3 GAA for both. Its not even performance based, its just someone I thought was a friend pushing me out for whatever reason.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I am an older player but I am new to tending. I guess I am actually an older human too.

What do you wear under your gear on your lower body? I have been wearing some running tights I had with my Bauer knee pads underneath them and my cup above the tights. And of course pads/pants on top of that.

I purchased a more expensive pair of tights thinking that more support would help my prevent or lower groin soreness but I can't get them on over my knee pads.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Wear your knee pads over the top of everything, if they tend to slip down then use leg tape to keep them in place.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Wooty posted:

I am an older player but I am new to tending. I guess I am actually an older human too.

What do you wear under your gear on your lower body? I have been wearing some running tights I had with my Bauer knee pads underneath them and my cup above the tights. And of course pads/pants on top of that.

I purchased a more expensive pair of tights thinking that more support would help my prevent or lower groin soreness but I can't get them on over my knee pads.

Any kind of compression leggings are great, the important thing is to get something that still breathes when drenched in sweat.

As for kneepads, get something where you can tie them into your pants. And tape. Lots of tape.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

Any kind of compression leggings are great, the important thing is to get something that still breathes when drenched in sweat.

As for kneepads, get something where you can tie them into your pants. And tape. Lots of tape.

The only thing I tape is my stick?????

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

The only thing I tape is my stick?????

The pads alone take me forever to put on/off. gently caress if I'm taping them shits to me.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BulimicGoat posted:

The pads alone take me forever to put on/off. gently caress if I'm taping them shits to me.

If your kneepads are slipping, it's worth it though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

So the team I've won 3 out of the last 4 seasons championships, and 3 out of the last 4 "top goalie" awards for the division I'm no longer playing for. My friend, who I co-captain with, had told me he wasn't playing on the team past this season, and then informed me yesterday another goalie and him were going to make a new team in our division, and he was planning on essentially taking 5 or 6 of our players, most of our better ones too. I told him that was unfair to the rest of the team, as it'd essentially kill the team, and it'd make this season a disaster, as once word got out, no one would want to play or put any extra effort it. Besides the fact that we were planning on purchasing jerseys, this was a terrible idea. Essentially all he was doing was replacing me, and the rest of the players that were either not good, or he didn't care about.

So I told him that was unfair to everyone, and if he's going to pull something like that, either find another league to make the team in, or just replace me so the rest of the team had somewhere to play, since apparently I was the only significant difference in the two teams. The funny thing is, the goalie he's doing with this is terrible. He filled in for us once like a year and a half ago, got shelled, and has 1 win in the last two seasons on his current team. So going back and forth about it, he then went in on that no one likes me, and I'm a detriment to the team because of my politics, which I know is a load of horseshit. He's got issue with it, but if theres anyone, there's 1 or 2 other guys that *might* but it prolly doesn't bother them enough to care when we're playing. So then I said if I'm such a terrible person, the team should have no problem with me being replaced, so he said fine, we're done.

Since that, I've had 3 or 4 guys contact me saying its BS, but nothing will change. Hopefully the team can continue on and he doesn't gut it, but I did what I could to salvage it for everyone else. I've also got a handful of teams that I can probably land with, it's just figuring out whats best for me. It's very disappointing though, the team that I've essentially built, gotten sponsors for, and have been so successful with, I'm done on. I looked at it lastnight, and through the four seasons, I was 28-4-1 in the regular season, and 8-1 in the playoffs, a shade over 3 GAA for both. Its not even performance based, its just someone I thought was a friend pushing me out for whatever reason.
Dang, that sucks. When I moved to Austin I wasn't too sure about this draft league mess. While it does have its own form of drama (myself included), it doesn't have this or some of the other drama I dealt with back in Colorado. If I were you I'd try to land with another team in the league and make sure to shut them down every game against them. Revenge on the ice like that is fun.

Wooty posted:

I wear my knee pads over my padded compression pants but under hockey socks. To hold them up I attach the socks to the pants and then wrap some tape around the thigh just once. With the padding from the pants against the knee pads, the pads stay in place pretty well. If I'm not wearing those pants, I'll just wrap sock tape around my legs once or twice and they tend to stay in place all game.

BulimicGoat posted:

Your kneepads take forever to put on/off? Mine are three Velcro straps. :confused:

Bootcha posted:

...ironman-ing it for 40 minutes after the 5th dude got kicked out for pissing off the ref...
The B-League there has too many fights and arguments. What's with that?

Here's the latest video from our mixed league playoff game in the 4v4 league. We lost 8-7 with a few goals I want back. I'm noticing I keep my glove high in my ready position but then bring it down and back up to make a high glove save. Gotta stop doing that. Unfortunately the battery died about halfway through the second half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8icX1HhIg

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

Dang, that sucks. When I moved to Austin I wasn't too sure about this draft league mess. While it does have its own form of drama (myself included), it doesn't have this or some of the other drama I dealt with back in Colorado. If I were you I'd try to land with another team in the league and make sure to shut them down every game against them. Revenge on the ice like that is fun.

Problem is, and will probably continue to be, that team is the best in the league. Partially because of me, partially because of the skaters that were in that core. It'd be a difficult thing to do, especially with the teams that have goaltending gaps at the moment. I do hope to play in that league again, and there's 2 or 3 teams that have a situation I'd love to be in, but only one has a goaltending situation that isn't totally locked up. I might start discussing with some guys who I'm friends with who have a team in another league if they want to put a team together there, as alot of them like my league, but some of those guys don't want to travel to the rinks we play at. But yeah, eventually, I'd like to usurp the team. Especially if the difference is goaltending.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Hah, shows what I know. A newish solid young team just contacted me, apparently their goalie bailed on them. They finished 5th out of 10 teams last season, and only scored 8 less goals than my old team, and gave up 5 more. Decent situation to land in. We only play my old team once, at the beginning of March though.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I haven't been keeping up on goalie equipment recently, but I am looking to pick up a new mask soon. I am currently leaning towards ordering a JAW mask from Jerry Wright, but the Bauer Experience is coming through town today, so I should be able to check out more of their masks than I usually could. What's the general opinion on the recent Bauer masks? Are they worth considering provided that I find one that fits well or I am better off ordering from a mask maker like Jerry Wright?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I have an NME7 that I am very happy with. Dunno if its luck or whatever, but I've taken a ton of pucks off the helmet with no ill effects.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I really need a new helmet but I can't afford it. I'm also really hesitant to buy second hand.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I have an NME7 that I am very happy with. Dunno if its luck or whatever, but I've taken a ton of pucks off the helmet with no ill effects.

I'm glad that it's worked well for you. I think there is an element of luck, then factors like fit, materials, height, playing style, and previous injury history play into it. They ended up not having goalie gear at the Bauer Experience, so I'll need to try on the masks that they have at my local hockey shop and see if there's anything that I'm comfortable with. I just get frustrated that mask making is still so much of an art and it would be nice to get a mask that I thought was backed by scientific research. I know that Bauer was claiming that for a while, but they were forced to rescind their force reduction/dissipation claims, so everything is a bit murky.

It was fine to try out player gear for the first time. It took me a few minutes to get used to the player skates, but I started to get the hang of it and was surprised by how easy turning and maneuvering was, though I kept my speed low, since I didn't want to get overconfident and do something stupid. It was interesting trying to puck handle and shoot, obviously very different than working with a goalie stick, but I tried using a left handed stick, since I thought it would be closer to what I was used to. Overall it was challenging and more fun than I thought it would be. I don't think that I'll rush out and buy player gear right away, but I'm more open to it than I was.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

This season has been kind of annoying. Last season in this league, my team lost in OT for the B division championship. This year, they decide to add an over-40 and womens division, and fold B division into A division, creating "Elite Division" to make room for those. I had improved my team, so at the outset I felt like having been on the top of B would mean we'd do okay against A, but we've been getting hammered by the good A teams. Last night I played what everyone agreed was a really good game, must have stopped half a dozen breakaways, plus a bunch of one-timers and wide open guys in the slot etc, but still got shelled for like 13 goals. Can maybe think of one of those I should have had. This isn't a dig on my team, we've got a lot of good players, its really lame because we're stuck playing the best of the best, and dropping down the next level, which is now C division, we'd destroy any of those teams. Its really clear there needs to be a B division, I'm fine with a tough challenge and all but its not much fun showing up to games where you know you can't win even playing at the top of your game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Being too good for C, but not good for A is a tough spot to be in. I've emergency subbed twice in a low A-league. The skaters weren't necessarily faster, but they were really good moving to change angles, and they could pick corners all day. Like you I faced a ton of shots, made some great saves, and felt like I played well, but the score board did not agree.

I stopped by the hockey shop after work and tried on some masks. The medium CCM Pro and the Bauer 960 were both too narrow for me and each had spots where I felt a lot of pressure on my head. The Bauer 950 was a little wider and fit me really well. Not quite the same materials as the higher end masks, but generally materials like kevlar and carbon fiber are about reducing weight rather increasing protection (when compared to fiber glass not ABS). They also thought that a Bauer NME 10 fit 3 would fit me well, but they didn't have any in stock and I'd basically need to buy one or wait until the goalie day in May to try it out and I'd like to get a new mask before then. I think at this point I'm still leaning towards ordering a mask from Jerry Wright, but the Bauer 950 is very tempting, and I need to read up on the Bauer NME 10 and see if it's worth while.

I am going to start ramping up my on ice activity soon and try to get myself ready to return to one of my leagues in March.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
What should I focus on to move out of the beginner level? I am pretty good with my hands, skating is ok but my butterfly play is poor. I can't move at all while down.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Wooty posted:

What should I focus on to move out of the beginner level? I am pretty good with my hands, skating is ok but my butterfly play is poor. I can't move at all while down.

Just my opinion, but I would say movement is by far the most important thing as you progress. Being able to push slide around the crease, stand up/go down quickly, and stay square throughout will give you the most bang for your buck.

Do lots of legwork in the gym, practice your butterfly pushes, and work on popping up. Keep your skates nice and sharp and work on transferring your weight from one leg to the other. Good luck!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wooty posted:

One thing I'll add is to start reading the release of the puck. By that I mean not waiting for the puck to fly off the stick before judging where it's going, and watching the snap of the blade and read where the shot's going. The warmup half-circle is a great place to do this. Look to see how open or closed the blade is when the blade passes that point of no return. You'll give yourself that fraction of a second to prepare the appropriate side and use the appropriate save from your tool chest. It'll take awhile to make sense of it, as the lower beginner leagues tend to be inconsistent with shot quality, but in the mid and higher leagues it's essential you read as much of the shot as possible, to include the stick shooting it.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Thanks for those replies and ideas.

I have been frustrated by my butterfly slides and other movements. I am a good skater otherwise, it is just that I can't get this right. I think if I can get this improved I am moving in the right direction.

It is hard playing at the beginner level, none of the players can get it on net from the blue line and it is like following a pinball as it slowly comes creeping in.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My nightmare is a slow breakaway with no backchecking from the defense and you just wait for what seems like forever for the shooter to make a move. If you get impatient and commit first, then he'll beat you, but if you stay patient and wait for the shooter to commit, then the odds are in your favor. It does get better as you move up levels, though C-league can be frustrating in the sense that you can see a mixture of good and new/bad players, so you'll see one guy go end to end, dangling his way through skaters, and unleashing a hard shot and another guy who can barely skate accidentally fire a knuckle puck that will somehow catch you off guard.

As for butterfly slides, remember to lead with your head, shoulders, and torso and then put your back leg slightly in front of at as close to 90 degree angle as possible and push off. Lower body and core strength help a lot and the less you weigh, the easier it is to propel yourself across the ice. As for exercises you can do try:

Lunges and side lunges (can do w/ or w/o weights and do 15 lunges down and back the run per set for 3 sets)
Body weight squats (eventually do them standing on top of a bosu ball to make them harder. 3 sets of 20 and up to 4 sets of 25)
Leg extensions (single leg and when your leg is just about fully extended, then hold it for 5 seconds and do 3 sets of 10 reps for each leg and you can move up the weight and duration {up to 15 seconds} as the exercise becomes easier)
Side band walks (will strengthen your hips. Do 20 sides to the left, then 20 side steps to the right for 3 sets)
Cable torso set (3 sets of 15 per side)
Interval training (start with 30 seconds of cardio with high resistance and then rest for 30-60 seconds. Do at least 3 sets and if you do more than 3, then switch up go from an exercise bike, to a treadmill, handbike, or elliptical)

The reps and sets are just suggestions and may need to be altered based on the size of the room you are working out in and your relative level of fitness.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
While I am thinking of it, Maria Mountain has some great videos demonstrating stretches and other exercises for goalies. Most of her videos are really good, but ignore the ones where she talks to the dietitian lady who is completely nuts. As for stretching, internal hip rotation, groin, and IT band are key areas for goalies. You can use a combination of static stretches and dynamic stretches and you can use a foam roller to work on loosening your IT band, though there is some disagreement on how beneficial that actually is.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So a team in our B2 league lost their goalie due to ankle injury, and Bradf0rd and I have been subbing in for them. I had a the rare fortune to win with them 4-3. Bradf0rd declares this a lie, as all the times he's played for them they haven't been able to score at all and loses all the time. On my actual B2 team, the goalie-less team manages to score on me with very good cross-ice passes as well as good set pieces from the faceoff. The goalie-less team has several players on my mixed league team, and they manage to score quite well. So I'm confused when Bradf0rd says I was lucky.

Last night I subbed again. We lost 0-1.

For just a short period, I was living in a fantasy world where the team could score, but it was shattered by cruel reality.

But on the other hand, my actual team isn't much better.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

So a team in our B2 league lost their goalie due to ankle injury, and Bradf0rd and I have been subbing in for them. I had a the rare fortune to win with them 4-3. Bradf0rd declares this a lie, as all the times he's played for them they haven't been able to score at all and loses all the time. On my actual B2 team, the goalie-less team manages to score on me with very good cross-ice passes as well as good set pieces from the faceoff. The goalie-less team has several players on my mixed league team, and they manage to score quite well. So I'm confused when Bradf0rd says I was lucky.

Last night I subbed again. We lost 0-1.

For just a short period, I was living in a fantasy world where the team could score, but it was shattered by cruel reality.

But on the other hand, my actual team isn't much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

Wooty posted:

I'd say really work on the butterfly play. Being able to actually push around instead of shuffling is, in my opinion, one of the biggest differences between levels of play. The regimen Aniki posted is pretty close to what I've done for a while now and it's helped tremendously. I'm using the foam roller and Maria's stretching exercises and anecdotally I'd say they work pretty well as I've become really flexible which has been known to bail me out of a few jams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcp7Ku1UnU

Here's some moments from a couple weeks ago as well. I make some awesome mistakes and let in a couple of softies and can see I still have a bad problem with my glove going from the up position, down, then back up for a save.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vi9TrxmFwA

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ScoreGate Update: They scored 2 last night. We scored 3.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had a goalie lesson yesterday morning. It was my first time in net since I took lessons in the fall and my first time facing high shots since March. We spent a lot of time working on facing high shots, since it was important for me to gain confidence facing those and make sure that my hand positioning was correct and that I was tracking the puck all the way into my gloves. After that, I worked on recovering with the proper leg and the moving across the crease to face a shot, C-cutting off of the post to challenge low angle shots, butterfly sliding, and finally butterfly sliding to one spot and then sliding across crease to face a shot. Overall, I did a lot better than I thought I would and felt like it was a good start to my comeback and now I need to figure out how I want to start ramping up my activity, so that I can hopefully return to one of my leagues in March.

I also found out about a person who is a Maltese rep in town, so I went to his place and he fitted my mask with a chin sling. I'm going to experiment with it a little bit and see how I like it and there are a couple more things that we can try if that doesn't work for me. Hopefully, this works, because it would be a lot cheaper than getting a new mask. The mask itself is fine, but there are some fit issues around my chin that I need to get sorted in order to feel comfortable using it in games again and I think we have a good chance of figuring out something will work.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

My nightmare is a slow breakaway with no backchecking from the defense and you just wait for what seems like forever for the shooter to make a move. If you get impatient and commit first, then he'll beat you, but if you stay patient and wait for the shooter to commit, then the odds are in your favor. It does get better as you move up levels, though C-league can be frustrating in the sense that you can see a mixture of good and new/bad players, so you'll see one guy go end to end, dangling his way through skaters, and unleashing a hard shot and another guy who can barely skate accidentally fire a knuckle puck that will somehow catch you off guard.

Man I wish. Our C league, if you wanna be competitive, you need all good skaters, and probably a few of those high skill guys. In D you can probably get away with one of those mediocre skaters per line, and even then its risky.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Man I wish. Our C league, if you wanna be competitive, you need all good skaters, and probably a few of those high skill guys. In D you can probably get away with one of those mediocre skaters per line, and even then its risky.

Our C league keeps getting better. Team I play for is all college players pretty much.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

TrixR4kids posted:

Our C league keeps getting better. Team I play for is all college players pretty much.

I'm sure it varies based on region and even which rink you're playing at. I have seen the issue you guys are talking about where the level of play in C-league keeps increasing. Some of it is newer players developing and bad players quitting, but I've also seen leagues loosen their standards and let better players in to either balance out for current ringers or to help maximize the number of teams they have in a league. I also wondered with Phoenix in particular if that first big generation of youth hockey players has become old enough for men's leagues and they're starting to fill out the ranks and push up the level of play?

After doing well with my lesson this week, I agreed to do a slower skate on Sunday. It will be my first live action since March and it should be a good opportunity for me to get out on the ice and start facing some real shots again. If that goes well, there are some other lower level games that I can do while I am easing my way back. I just want to keep things relatively slow at first before I jump into faster paced games.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
My thumb webbing-area hurts from pistol gripping my stick, would sewing some padding onto my blocker glove help or is it better to tape the stick? I keep it untapped to make extending it easier.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

My thumb webbing-area hurts from pistol gripping my stick, would sewing some padding onto my blocker glove help or is it better to tape the stick? I keep it untapped to make extending it easier.

It may help some. You could also try wearing a batting glove or something along those lines to add some extra padding, but if you're comfortable sewing some extra padding into your blocker, then that would work too. No reason to be uncomfortable.

Has anyone used the new smart toe ties from Brian's? They come with the G-Netik 2's, but you can add them to any pad and they seem like they would be less of a hassle than regular toe ties. I'm probably going to pick some up tomorrow and try them out on my pads.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/leg-pad-accessories/brians-goalie-accessories-gnetik2-toe-strap-sr.html

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I cannot imagine that your grip is hurting your hand in a way that can be helped by tape. You need to lighten up that grip. I found early on that it helped to put my index finger down on the paddle like it sounds like you already do with the "pistol grip." When I started doing that, I did a better job of letting the stick sit against the ice instead of death gripping it and holding it up in the air.

I use almost no tape where I grip the stick in my stance. I have a single, tape-width piece of tape right at the lowest part of the shaft, above the paddle.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Aniki posted:

It may help some. You could also try wearing a batting glove or something along those lines to add some extra padding, but if you're comfortable sewing some extra padding into your blocker, then that would work too. No reason to be uncomfortable.

Has anyone used the new smart toe ties from Brian's? They come with the G-Netik 2's, but you can add them to any pad and they seem like they would be less of a hassle than regular toe ties. I'm probably going to pick some up tomorrow and try them out on my pads.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/leg-pad-accessories/brians-goalie-accessories-gnetik2-toe-strap-sr.html

I hate toe ties. I put them on my skates before I put on the skates - not optimal

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Wooty posted:

I hate toe ties. I put them on my skates before I put on the skates - not optimal

After one use, I really like the Brian's velcro toe straps. They make putting on your pads faster and easier and they seemed to work at least as well as regular toe ties if not slightly better. I'll need to see how they hold up and perform over time, but they seem worth the $20 so far.

My reaction to the chin sling is more mixed. I had some issues with it sliding up my face and blocking my mouth during play, but I did take a hard shot to the chin during warmups and it seemed to do a good job of reducing the impact. I also messed around with adjusting my mask straps today and making them tighter. They ended up being too tight and I had to skate off for about three minutes halfway through to loosen the straps and make it more comfortable, but even when it was strapped tight, I still felt like my mask moved around more than I'd like it to. We're going to try doing some more adjustments tomorrow and likely add some more padding to improve the fit. If we do that, then the chin sling could still work.

As for hockey yesterday, it was my first live action in 10-months in an organized scrimmage and I did about how I thought I would. I did well on technical aspects like butterfly slides, redirecting the puck to the corner with my blocker, squeezing my 5-hole shut, and skating, but I did poorly in mental aspects like committing too early, having lapses in concentration (partly due to my mask being too tight), trouble seeing the puck through screens, slow to react on some recoveries, and issues tracking rebounds. Physically, I held up pretty well for the first half and then I had some stamina issues in the second half, which was to be expected since the physical workload of playing goal is hard to replicate off ice. I think that the mental side will take a few sessions for it to start coming back and I figured that would be harder for me than the technical and physical side.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

parsleyc posted:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/bags/carry-goalie-bags/warrior-goalie-equipment-pro-bag.html

These are quality bags.

Any bag made of this shiny plastic-y material will probably last a long, long time.

Thanks for the rec this is what I ended up getting. I'll report back a year from now to tell you if it's still in one piece :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Got hit in the throat again lastnight. Still hurts today. I think I finally have to give in and get a dangler.

• Locked thread