Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And some how they would be your friend on Facebook. I tried to read the responses for a second time. It crashed again.

You need to get to a PC, the Goon responses trolling my either uptight or uninformed friends are pretty great.

In retrospect I should've just attacked people with entitlement issues but the barrage of people whining about lovely tips got under my skin today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

goatse guy posted:

I deleted tinder again because I met someone and I can't stop thinking about them.

Aaawww :3: that's great news! Good for you.

Working half day tomorrow. My grandmothers funeral is in the afternoon. It's a happy-sad feeling. She would have been 94 in March and didn't have a great quality of life. She was ready to go, my dads father passed away when my dad was just 9 years old so I'm sure there was a happy reunion.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

In retrospect I should've just attacked people with entitlement issues but the barrage of people whining about lovely tips got under my skin today.

Ah yes, the classic tips argument that no one ever wins sounds like fun!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

You need to get to a PC, the Goon responses trolling my either uptight or uninformed friends are pretty great.

Holy poo poo. That's "I need an adult!" Posting.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Aaawww :3: that's great news! Good for you.

Holdbrooks is a pretty cool dude, I think we can all agree.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Raluek posted:

Holdbrooks is a pretty cool dude, I think we can all agree.

Anyone with that many orange cars is cool in any part of the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Ah yes, the classic tips argument that no one ever wins sounds like fun!

It's not "I don't believe tipping." I worked food service/bars for 15 years. It's "You don't automatically deserve a tip just for showing up. You have to earn you pay the same as I do."

Sparked by whiny people with entitlement issues.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
It's someone else so stop being a bunch of weirdos, thanks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my nomenclature, the router is actually a modem/router combo unit. They both (old and new) look vaguely like rebranded netgear stuff. I'll PM you with more info when I get home this evening.

Half of all the diagnostic stuff you asked about went straight over my head, networking is not my strong suit. I do know that my uncle, who lived here before us, was the one that did the wiring inside the house, and knowing him and how he does things (cut as many corners as possible) I'm guessing the wiring issue is inside.

I need to make a trip to radioshack anyway...

The DMARC is where the copper from the phone company connects to the copper in your home. It's typically a grey box outside, generally near your power meter. You'll see wire coming up out of the ground to it (if your utilities are buried) or coming off the pole. If it's off the pole, it'd be the thin wire that doesn't go to the weatherhead for your power.

There's a customer side that you can usually open with a screwdriver or socket, and they'll usually have a phone cord and jack (if it's been built since the late 80s or so). The cord connects the house to it; if you disconnect that phone cord from the jack inside, you can plug the modem directly into it. Go to speedtest.net from your laptop (or get the app from the app store) once you're out there, run a test, see if it's improved substantially. If it has, it's interior wiring. If it hasn't, it's on the phone company side.

I'd post a picture of mine, but it was gutted when Verizon converted us to fiber.

kastein posted:

Fortunately, calling people inbred banjo playing dipshits and stupid assholes still gets the point across quite well and I doubt anyone would defend any of that except possibly the banjo playing.

I dunno man these guys might get upset about the banjo part.

Darchangel posted:

I have to admint this is something I have to actively fight in my head, thanks to popular culture. I catch myself using some form or another of gay-bashing (human being, cocksucker, polesmoker, whatever) when gaming (badly) online, and I hate myself for it. Happens with the "N" word, too. I have no idea why my brain insists on dredging up racial/orientation-based insults. I wasn't raised that way. Sometimes I hate my own brain.

I've had a pair of the Home Depot Crees in my garage door opener for a couple months. No problems so far. We'll see.

"human being" still gets tossed around so much in schools as an "insult". :rolleyes: I'll call someone a cocksucker all day, but it's usually in good fun (and with people I know). Except sometimes when someone cuts me off in traffic, I might blurt out "you loving cocksucking donkey fucker" or something like that.

The bulbs in my garage door opener are over a year old. No name dollar store 40 watt incandescents, and they've outlasted every other bulb I've ever tossed in it (I've not tried LEDs yet, but the CFLs went out pretty quick). Our opener vibrates a lot more than most though - it's a screw drive Genie that hasn't ever really been taken care of, and the screw drive might get lubed every few years instead of every couple of months. When it's actually been lubricated recently, it's about as loud as a normal chain drive unit, but when it hasn't been, it vibrates bad enough that you can feel it in the door to the house from the garage (also can be heard through the whole house).

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah I run into that all the time. The only insult I worked out of my vocabulary is "human being" because one of my closest friends came out and I didn't want to make him uncomfortable.

Several people at work still don't get why I get pissy when they throw around "human being". Of course, half of my coworkers are high school kids, so..

InitialDave posted:

Faggots are loving delicious.

Many of them are. :quagmire:

Tusen Takk posted:

This week has blown so hard. Wife gets a flat on Sunday, then the same day I walk by a shelf at work and my car key got stuck in it, snapping it in half (lol GM build quality, thank god for some reason I had my spare in my car)

My car decided to lock me out of it on its own the other day... while running. I sometimes leave it idling when I do a delivery, if it's a nice area and I'm going up to a house. Less wear on the starter, and I don't think idling for 1-2 minutes is going to make a dent in my mileage.

This makes the third time it's done that. The first time, I had OnStar, and was able to have them unlock it. Ever since then, I always open the drivers window a bit before I get out. I really just need to get a generic spare key (flat metal instead of one with a plastic head) and keep it in my wallet. Every time it's locked me out, the moment I manage to get back in the car, it locks the doors again the moment I close the door. I'm sure it's something goofy with the body control module, but damned if I can reproduce it on demand.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I got hit with 90 volts today, that was fun. Out of the 200+ 110 blocks, I happened to be touching one when someone made a call.

90 volts ain't poo poo. I learned all about ring voltages a long, long time ago when I had a popular dialup BBS and had to go out to the DMARC to figure out why one line had such poor connection speeds/dropped calls (turned out to be a loose screw).

I've been bit by either 208 or 277 (not sure which, just know it wasn't full-on 480). That loving stings.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Might offend toothless people and/or alcoholics.

You leave me, my drinking, and my horrible teeth out of this. :colbert:

Holdbrooks posted:

Haha I'm going to start calling people carnies now.

No joke, an old friend from high school (who almost became my stepbrother at one point) was a carnie for years. And my first pizza boss (at Papa John's, way back in 2000), was a carnie for a long time (also met her husband while working as a carnie). Before that she drove 18 wheelers. She had one gently caress of a temper, and was one of the only people I've ever met who can out-cuss me.

I still miss the bitch, cancer got her in 2007. And yes, we called each other "loving bitch" and "loving rear end in a top hat" constantly, she was a riot to work with. It was always fun when someone new would start, and she and I would get in each other's faces cussing each other out to see if the new hire could handle working there.

(and yes, she was missing plenty of teeth)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 23, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

goatse guy posted:

NEVAH! :byodood:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Ummm, ok?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

goatse guy posted:

I will stop cracking jokes in that vein, but I'm inherently weird and there's not much I can do about that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

... that moment you step in diarrhea, and you have no idea which pet it's from... nor care, because the bottom of your foot is now covered in poo poo. :sigh:

Given the size, it was either the dude, or the dog left several other surprises hiding. Stepdad has been giving both of them table scraps, which pisses me off to no end (and is also why our dog weighs 90 pounds - rough collies average 50-70). Dude has put himself on a seefood diet - he sees it, he eats it, and you'd better guard your plate if you walk away. He's definitely happy, and far more active than I expected a cat his age to be.... the late night cat crazies are pretty loving amusing to watch (especially when he uses someone's head as a springboard, when he did that to me it left me going "what the gently caress just happened?"), but dear god the litter box looks like a poo poo bomb went off when he gets ahold of human food.

The Dude doesn't have mudbutt, so I'm gonna blame the dog for now. And I'm going to be wearing shoes around the house until we find the rest of the mud.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
I enjoy calling people Penis's.

Not because its super offensive or cutting edge, but because people seem to have to stop and think why Ive just called them a Penis in front of other people.

I will also tell my gay friends when they are being particularly flaming, which is particularly uncommon for one of them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:laffo:

The majority of my gay friends appear "normal" to most people. But I have a couple of friends that would singe your eyebrows and hair if you get near them. And to be honest, I get annoyed by gay guys who feel like they have to "act gay". Honey, you didn't grow up with that lisp, and you didn't grow up calling every guy honey. I feel like I'm already being obnoxious by being as out as I am, and the only lisp I have is because of a broken tooth. :sigh:

I'm as open as I am partly because I feel there's a stigma that LGBT people in the US have to act in a certain flamboyant way. I belch, I fart, I scratch my rear end (I might even scratch and sniff if it'll gross someone out), I'm overweight, I'm a pretty typical (US) guy.... except I like penis and assholes instead of vagina and assholes. Really, the only signs I'm gay if you first meet me is I might be wearing a rainbow bracelet (occasionally), and I dye my hair (black, the same color as my heart.. but I think that's more :emo: than anything).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 23, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's not "I don't believe tipping." I worked food service/bars for 15 years. It's "You don't automatically deserve a tip just for showing up. You have to earn you pay the same as I do."

Sparked by whiny people with entitlement issues.

Here's why you should always tip. If you have worked food service for a long time then you know how difficult it is to 1) get your employer to make up the difference if you don't make enough to hit minimum wage for that pay period and imo no one deserves to go without basic necessities because they were having a bad day 2) You know the demographics of people working food service skews heavily towards single parents so when you think you're teaching someone a lesson in reality you're probably just loving some little kid and 3) American tip culture and the expectation that your server should have to grovel before you and cater to your every whim for that paltry 3 bux or w/e is gross.

Tip your loving waiter, I can practically guarantee they need the money more than you do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For actual food service, I'm on both sides of the fence. If the service is terrible, then yes, you have every right to stiff them or tip below normal. I've stiffed plenty of bartenders when I'm sitting there shouting "HEY I NEED A loving BEER" when they're too busy flirting with female customers, and they eventually wander over and ask how I'm doing (and I say "I've only been trying to get another beer for the past loving hour, how about you just get my check for me and I'll go somewhere that I can actually get drinks?").

But I've delivered outstanding service that even management has high fived me on... only to get something insulting like a 75 cent tip (got that a few days ago, when it took 3 trips because she wouldn't answer the door, and my phone had been shut off for non-payment, so I couldn't call her when she wouldn't answer the door, so I kept driving back to the store to call her, and got accused of knocking on the neighbor's door, when she orders every loving day and always tips 50c-$1 on $20+ orders), or get a big fat zero when I show up 15 minutes earlier than the quoted time, play with your dog when he/she runs out snarling at me, your kid kicks me in the shin, and I'm offering free stuff like a drink.

I've been in food service for 15 years. I know how to deliver outstanding service, and I try to do that on each and every order. But the place I work at has a service fee, and I don't see a penny of that fee. Most people understand that free delivery has disappeared, and most people know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver. I always explain "the fee is $2.50, but it does not go to the driver" when someone asks about delivery fees on the phone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 23, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

rscott posted:

Here's why you should always tip. If you have worked food service for a long time then you know how difficult it is to 1) get your employer to make up the difference if you don't make enough to hit minimum wage for that pay period and imo no one deserves to go without basic necessities because they were having a bad day 2) You know the demographics of people working food service skews heavily towards single parents so when you think you're teaching someone a lesson in reality you're probably just loving some little kid and 3) American tip culture and the expectation that your server should have to grovel before you and cater to your every whim for that paltry 3 bux or w/e is gross.

Tip your loving waiter, I can practically guarantee they need the money more than you do.

There are only two situations where I don't tip.

1) I physically have only enough money to pay the base cost. "Sorry - I need a haircut here's a $20, I know it's not really enough" etc.

2) The person serving me is blatantly rude or unhelpful. This is a super goony story but I once ordered a chocolate milk at a Denny's and when I asked for more powder/syrup or whatever, the waitress told me it was "good enough". Sorry- no tip. Get bent.

some texas redneck posted:

Delivery driver stuff.

I ALWAYS tip delivery people at least 5bux.

mafoose posted:

It's interesting to see how different people tip, it's pretty easy to see who has worked food service and who hasn't.

I've never worked in food service and tip 20% as habit and sometimes tip more.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 23, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It's interesting to see how different people tip, it's pretty easy to see who has worked food service and who hasn't.

I had a few food service jobs growing up, and I remember being broke as gently caress trying to pay for books, rent, and food, and always appreciated people who gave me a nice tip. Now I'm on the other side of the table, you've got to really gently caress up to not get anything from me.

People say you shouldn't tip because it encourages employers to not pay enough, but in the end the person you're loving over is the waiter, not the employer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does anything good ever come from a phone call at 2am?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Phone posted:

Not generally.

The only exception is the 2am "the bars just closed" booty call, and even that can be iffy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Elmnt80 posted:

Not generally.

The only exception is the 2am "the bars just closed" booty call, and even that can be iffy.

That usually doesn't even pan out since it's more like "I'm drunk and too cheap to call a cab".

It's either like... someone has died, wrong number, or something else that is completely awful.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 23, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm about to stick a hand warmer in my rear end crack its so cold.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

Is this a phone call or a Phone call? The former of the 2, nope. The latter of the 2, dunno.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Phone posted:

It's either like... someone has died, wrong number, or something else that is completely awful.

Or they're drunk, though I guess my drunk dials falls under the category of other things that are completely awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

I do tip, that isnt the argument I was making. I'm tired of crybabies whining about lovely tips or this attitude of "If you can't afford to tip 25% you shouldn't be eating out." I worked in the service industry for 15 years, I know how lovely it is. But with that experience, if you got a lovely tip you probably deserve it.

Edit: and the very prevalent, not just in Indiana attitude of "Black people are always lovely tippers."

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
The only calls I get at 2am are for people that are in trouble or hurt, never anything good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

keykey posted:

Is this a phone call or a Phone call? The former of the 2, nope. The latter of the 2, dunno.

Phone has my phone number and I never get 2am calls :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy poo poo I'm going to be broke as hell this year. Looking at 8 track weekends at least and 2 races. Possibly going to hit up the F1 race, as well.

Oh yeah, buying the ND when it comes out. Buying a house isn't happening; can't race your house.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Phone posted:

Holy poo poo I'm going to be broke as hell this year. Looking at 8 track weekends at least and 2 races. Possibly going to hit up the F1 race, as well.

Oh yeah, buying the ND when it comes out. Buying a house isn't happening; can't race your house.
F1 Do it! I go every year and goon meet while I'm there. It is always worth the trip.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KKKLIP ART posted:

Phone has my phone number and I never get 2am calls :smith:

How far are you from Road Atlanta? I've known you for the better part of a decade (lol what, 12 or 13 years now), but I don't know if I'm ready to take our relationship to the next level... Unless if I can do a track day and not pay for a hotel. :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Phone posted:

How far are you from Road Atlanta? I've known you for the better part of a decade (lol what, 12 or 13 years now), but I don't know if I'm ready to take our relationship to the next level... Unless if I can do a track day and not pay for a hotel. :v:

About 40 minutes away if traffic is favorable, but I would take you out on the town and show you a good time. Lots of good food here to wine and dine you with

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KKKLIP ART posted:

About 40 minutes away if traffic is favorable, but I would take you out on the town and show you a good time. Lots of good food here to wine and dine you with

Who's the senpai in this scenario? I need to know who's hoping to get noticed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If the people that work security at my job get any dumber they're gonna have to give them all helmets, gently caress. I'm sitting in one of the work vehicles looking over some paperwork when I notice the security truck rolling past, but at like 2mph, and the guy is staring me down the whole time. Once he gets past I get out and get my tools and head towards a dorm, then see him walking back towards me, asking if I'm allowed to be here or work here at all.

No dude, I'm just wearing a shirt that says "XXXXX College Physical Plant" and carrying around this sack of tools for my health. :rolleyes: The vehicle I'm driving even used to be the Security department's truck.

Idiot.

Oh, and I got a "raise" and now make $6.60 more every pay period. I should buy a boat :v:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 23, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Phone posted:

Who's the senpai in this scenario? I need to know who's hoping to get noticed.

I don't know your weeaboo vocabulary but I can be a power bottom if that is what you are in to ;) ;)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Get a free boat, those are always the best.

:unsmigghh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

If the last 5 years of on-call duty are any indication no, nothing good can come from a 2am call. Either means something is broken at work, some dumbass needs me to bail them out of jail or someones car broke and they're stranded.

Phone posted:

Sounds like a good year to me. We're booked for 3 races, trying to find a fourth. I'd like to do a few track days this year once I have some time to drive the E21 and make sure it isn't going to fall apart right away on the track. Houses are over-rated, all you really need is a garage.

Not sure how it happened by my sleep schedule is completely screwed up. Going to be at my usual early as hell 8:30-9pm but waking up an hour or more before my alarm. Rolled into work today right as my alarm to wake up went off. I wouldn't mind except now I get home and am exhausted.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Lol @ reterming two 2100 pairs and one 900 pair in the same case in a 5' tall manhole from the 80's.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Lol @ reterming two 2100 pairs and one 900 pair in the same case in a 5' tall manhole from the 80's.

Jesus, you must be about up to your elbows in that horrible potting compound they use that is basically insoluble in everything. gently caress that poo poo forever.

• Locked thread