Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

LOL what happens when they pass out, do you just scream down at them to wake up? Not much else you could do with a bad back, other than call paramedics....

If it's an enclosed-space thing, I don't think you want to go inside the manhole after them anyway. I think you're supposed to call paramedics and then do nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aww hell no, where's that 2015 gif at? :argh:

My Miata's fuel pump finally gave out today (less than 100k even, what the hell?) and when I tried to put in the cheap Chinese one I had bought as a stopgap, the drat sender nozzle snapped off. Now I have to wait until I can source a good second hand replacement because I'm not paying 400 bucks to Mazda.

Come back 2014, we can work things out, we didn't know it would be like this.. we.. we.. WE DIDN'T KNOW :qq:

Edit:

Geirskogul posted:

geirskogul.imgur.com , one of those albums.

That's better. Thanks.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
More like call emergency services in general. As an EMT (part of the EMT/medic combo), we'd just call fire, because they have SCBAs.

RillAkBea posted:

Aww hell no, where's that 2015 gif at? :argh:

geirskogul.imgur.com , one of those albums.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's an enclosed-space thing, I don't think you want to go inside the manhole after them anyway. I think you're supposed to call paramedics and then do nothing else.

It makes sense, but the first image that popped into my head was of him jumping down with a bad back. welp.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Doing manhole work today and since I'm on light duty due to my back I get to be the guy that sits out in the cold all day in case someons passes out.

Manhole work, huh?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My supervisor just walked into the office looking for the soundmeter we have so he can make some measurements on the cinema system we use for showing films. He said one of the tweeters is pointing the wrong way so he's going to use the soundmeter to adjust it so he gets a decent spread.

This is fine and makes sense.

He then said he was going to use pink noise to do this.

This is not fine and makes no sense. Pink noise if you weren't aware is a signal that is equally powerful from 20khz down to whatever the system will output (so in our case about 40hz). As anything under 100hz is omnidirectional the speaker system will be outputting low end to match the top end and he'll basically not be able to measure anything accurately to do with tweeters at all.

What a mong.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

What a mong.

Thanks for the racism. :rolleyes:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yay! Have a plastic bag or something stuck on the exhaust, now have terrible nose-stinging smell and smoke billowing from the hood at stops! Ugh that's going to be fun to try to take off.

Also saw a Suzuki aero driving down a bumpy road ( pretty much every street is bumpy here). Bump. Bump. Bump *trunk flies open* it kept waving at me until the driver turned into a different street.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Thanks for not understanding what the insult means. :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

HotCanadianChick posted:

You've got to be retarded if you think mongoloid is a race.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

Thanks for not understanding what the insult means. :rolleyes:

meatpimp posted:

Nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Again, you're not understanding. Try your google again using the term I used. Then come back and post some more.

quote:

noun
(Brit, slang) a stupid or foolish person

You mong.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

I'm just south of I80/90 in the South Bend/Elkhart area, there's a really good Chicago-style hot dog / etc place just off of the interstate.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

kastein posted:

Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

I am near Cleveland. I am off of 80 but I'm not quite sure when you'd be getting off of 80 and hopping on 90.

May I suggest taking 86 instead? It was a less crowded road and much more beautiful than 90.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

Again, you're not understanding. Try your google again using the term I used. Then come back and post some more.

You mong.

I bet you think it's ok to say someone 'gypped' or 'jewed' you out of something.
At least Ricky Gervais was decent enough to apologise when people called him out on using it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051938/Ricky-Gervais-admits-naive-offensive-remarks-Twitter.html

code:
Etymology:
Contraction of Mongol or mongoloid.

Pronunciation
enPR: mŏng, IPA: /mɒŋ/
Rhymes: -ɒŋ
Noun
mong (plural mongs)

(offensive, pejorative, UK, slang) Shortened version of mongoloid, a person with Down's syndrome

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
[quote="HotCanadianChick" post="440576177"]
I bet you think it's ok to say someone 'gypped' or 'jewed' you out of something.

I never realized 'gypped' was a slur. Is it referencing gypsies?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Yes.

(I didn't know either until a few years ago)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

I claim the moral victory!

Dude, I don't care. I'm not Gervais and I don't have to keep people sweet in such a manner to maintain my professional career. It's been in British slang since forever and is offensive as the word idiot which also has roots in reference to people with mental retardation.

Take you social justice crusade somewhere else and stop making GBS threads up the thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
About a century ago it meant "someone with 47 chromosomes", which is how I heard about it, reading old books. Otherwise, it's a slur against various races.

I had no idea the second, newer meaning even existed and have in fact used it the same way 88h88 did up until I found out about a year or two ago. Stopped as soon as I found out it has more than one meaning - my apologies if anyone took it the other way. I'm sure as gently caress not wasting my time going on a crusade about it either way.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

88h88 posted:

Dude, I don't care. I'm not Gervais and I don't have to keep people sweet in such a manner to maintain my professional career. It's been in British slang since forever and is offensive as the word idiot which also has roots in reference to people with mental retardation.

Take you social justice crusade somewhere else and stop making GBS threads up the thread.

Social justice crusades that go no deeper than the first hit on google. :bravo:

Oh crap, that smilie is probably offensive.

Edit:

meatpimp posted:

In case anyone's too loving dense to get this joke, mongoloid is an antiquated slang for Mongolian, but most often used as a synonym for retard. Without a capitalized "M," "mong" is considered to be slang (and not a racial epithet) by all but the most sensitive of panties.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're not supposed to call people "retarded" now because it is also offensive.

We're gonna run out of usable insults the way things are going.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Everyone who goes into a conficed space wears a harness tied off to a winch up above so you can crank them up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm just waiting for :downs: to be removed from the emote list. Give it 5 years...

Fortunately, calling people inbred banjo playing dipshits and stupid assholes still gets the point across quite well and I doubt anyone would defend any of that except possibly the banjo playing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We're not supposed to call people "retarded" now because it is also offensive.

We're gonna run out of usable insults the way things are going.

Some people are just like the timing on my tractor... retarded.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I also didn't know about gypped until a few years ago when I saw it written for the first time. Then I was all like :aaaaa:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Everyone who goes into a conficed space wears a harness tied off to a winch up above so you can crank them up.

Yeah you're not doing that with a bad back. You need to call real men if something bad happens in there.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Just tightened the power steering belt on the golf. Not too bad a job really. Also changed the rear light cluster for the one that I have been carting around for 2 months. Yay me for getting if my rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I did an internship at a nuclear plant, granted, I was only managing server hardware, but we were required to take the safety course for working in parts of the core.

Which included what happens if you witness a victim of nitrogen asphyxiation. Don't go in after them :stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

I can be a bit "in your face" about a lot of stuff (sexuality in particular), but it's more because I don't tolerate people being assholes to other people just to be an rear end in a top hat. Once you realize I'm just being in your face to be a dick, and you accept it, we're besties for life. Just don't use the term "human being" around me unless you're referring to cigarettes, and don't say "that's so gay" when you're talking about something you dislike.

I have to admint this is something I have to actively fight in my head, thanks to popular culture. I catch myself using some form or another of gay-bashing (human being, cocksucker, polesmoker, whatever) when gaming (badly) online, and I hate myself for it. Happens with the "N" word, too. I have no idea why my brain insists on dredging up racial/orientation-based insults. I wasn't raised that way. Sometimes I hate my own brain.

quote:

Also in the garage door opener, but the vibration would murder CFLs and LEDs.

I've had a pair of the Home Depot Crees in my garage door opener for a couple months. No problems so far. We'll see.

quote:

Are you married to my mother?

She is one hell of a cook (and apparently related to Paula Deen - she uses lbs/kgs of butteron everything, and she's pre-diabetic.. and I'm full blown type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure)., but steak to her is either "well done" or "is this a hockey puck or a piece of meat?" If there's resembling pink in a steak, she won't touch it, and won't let anyone else touch it.

I like my steaks to be medium. It's the perfect balance of charred, flavor, and tender. If we're having steak, her steak gets tossed on the hottest part of the grill, while mine (and stepdad's) gets tossed on the middle. Hers gets an extra 5+ minutes. I don't get how you can eat something that burnt, but she refuses to touch any form of beef that isn't burnt.

How do people eat dried, crispy charcoal steak? What possible pleasure could there be in that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

:eng101:

Actually, "Gypsy" is itself technically an ethnic slur, as it references the mistaken assumption of Egyptian heritage with regard to Romani. It's really only long-term usage of the word that has kept it as acceptable.

Somewhat ironically, "pikey", although taken by many to be an ethnic slur, has no basis whatsoever in ethnicity, it has its root in the term"pike" in reference to a toll road, being a term to refer to travellers/itinerants.

There are an awful lot of people who think that "pikey" is racist and "gypsy" is the correct/polite term, when this isn't actually the case, etymologically speaking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

How do people eat dried, crispy charcoal steak? What possible pleasure could there be in that?

When I was in junior high, I took a home ec/cooking class.

One class, we watched a Dateline (or 20/20, I forget which) expose on the Jack in the Box E. Coli poisoning streak in southern California, and then immediately afterward I had to make meatballs as that was the project I'd signed up for that class. You better believe I cooked the poo poo out of that because I'm not gonna kill everyone in my class! All those crying parents and dead kids from Jack in the Box!

Ate charcoal for meat for years after that. Oddly, didn't have a problem eating at Jack in the Box the next year when I visited SoCal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Every time I ever ate at jack in the fox I got food poisoning. fuuuuuck that place.

woke up to a 102.8 fever. who wants to cook steak on my forehead!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Every time I ever ate at jack in the fox I got food poisoning. fuuuuuck that place.

Hey CSB: I may be heading your way (Vegas) in July for Battle Born

http://battlebornquattro.com/

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Awesome! We (wifey and I) are flying to Sf this weekend to get a place there though. we're planning to move feb 15th.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Actually, "Gypsy" is itself technically an ethnic slur, as it references the mistaken assumption of Egyptian heritage with regard to Romani. It's really only long-term usage of the word that has kept it as acceptable.

Somewhat ironically, "pikey", although taken by many to be an ethnic slur, has no basis whatsoever in ethnicity, it has its root in the term"pike" in reference to a toll road, being a term to refer to travellers/itinerants.

There are an awful lot of people who think that "pikey" is racist and "gypsy" is the correct/polite term, when this isn't actually the case, etymologically speaking.

Caravan Utilising Nomadic TravellerS

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I think "carnie" is universally accepted as fair game though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Low temperatures are more suitable for barbecue and stewing, not grilling.

:spergin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I think "carnie" is universally accepted as fair game though.
Yes, because it is in reference to something people do, rather than something they are. Same reason "pikey" isn't something to get butthurt over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Yes, because it is in reference to something people do, rather than something they are. Same reason "pikey" isn't something to get butthurt over.

When I was growing up, I thought 'gypsy' was a job, like pirate or mercenary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've taken multiple OSHA and safety training courses, I know the deal. Plus we have a brand spanking new sniffed to use. Which is why I have the emergency number for the campus in my pocket. At least there are tons of girls walking around in yoga pants to look at. Nevermind that it's 30* out...

Also e everyone is turning into politically correct fuckboyz. If I can't call some moron a retard I don't wanna live here.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread