Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Effectronica posted:

And the tempter came and said to Kureha, "If you are the protagonist, command that these girls flirt with one another." But she answered and said, "It is written, 'Woman does not live by sexual tension alone, but by character development and plot.'"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Effectronica posted:

And the tempter came and said to Kureha, "If you are the protagonist, command that these girls flirt with one another." But she answered and said, "It is written, 'Woman does not live by sexual tension alone, but by character development and plot.'"
You've watched this show, right?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The religious imagery goes further in the manga, where the only girls the bears eat are the ones that taunt people for having bald heads.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

You've watched this show, right?

"For behold, I saw Ikuhara as he fell from Heaven like lightning."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Effectronica posted:

"For behold, I saw Ikuhara as he fell from Heaven like lightning."

Life Sexy is M. Bison?

... You know, I could totally see that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Notes on an interview with Ikuhara and Morishima about YKA. It seems the latter was pretty influential on the direction of the work, even if the manga she's doing on her own is very different. Interestingly, it was her idea to have the Court of Yuri as guys - Ikuhara was originally thinking of them being women with male voices.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Notes on an interview with Ikuhara and Morishima about YKA. It seems the latter was pretty influential on the direction of the work, even if the manga she's doing on her own is very different. Interestingly, it was her idea to have the Court of Yuri as guys - Ikuhara was originally thinking of them being women with male voices.

Good stuff, thanks for the link.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Command Ant posted:

The religious imagery goes further in the manga, where the only girls the bears eat are the ones that taunt people for having bald heads.
:catholic: + :golfclap:

Go to the roof, thou baldy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

I kinda don't like how Ikuhara thinks sometimes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Auteur theory is a mixed blessing, sometimes you get genre-defining works other times you get Antichrist. My 3 episode test for this series consisted of waiting to see if it got that far without becoming one of those shows you get banned for even mentioning. Evidently it did, so I will give it a try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So far I like Antichrist better than this.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Auteur theory is a mixed blessing, sometimes you get genre-defining works other times you get Antichrist. My 3 episode test for this series consisted of waiting to see if it got that far without becoming one of those shows you get banned for even mentioning. Evidently it did, so I will give it a try.
The series is still young.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kylra posted:

The series is still young.

And so are the sexually assaulted lesbians :mrgw:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I just noticed the fluers de lis imagery in the court heraldry, which just made me think how obvious some of the imagery really was during those scenes. The court itself is a giant fleur de lys, with the judge being the large leaf in the middle and the prosecutor/attorney are the side leaves, theres even the band in the middle. Ginko and Lulu always flanking each side of Kureha also makes me think of this. Kureha's rifle even has a similar symbol.

Kureha's symbol is a camellia (specifically C. japonica), because that's what Tsubaki actually means. It seems to be associated with love, virtue, and grace. C. japonica blooms from winter to spring, so there's also the symbolism of "waking up" from some sort of spiritual death.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:psyduck:

I really want the soundtrack though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good music, good faces, good humor, good whatever the gently caress was happening in the end. We even got desire max!

Pretty solid episode even though it would pretty hard trying to piece together what everything meant.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This episode was what the show should have been from the beginning.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah, the plot arrived I guess.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The story and character development got delayed because the truck had to take the long route around, but now it's here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Good music, good faces, good humor, good whatever the gently caress was happening in the end. We even got desire max!

Pretty solid episode even though it would pretty hard trying to piece together what everything meant.

It'd be cool if the next batch of episodes was just the bear court telling stories from each characters life in this obfuscated way, but who knows

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

It'd be cool if the next batch of episodes was just the bear court telling stories from each characters life in this obfuscated way, but who knows

If the show is divided in three episode arcs then this could very well be a flashback motivation one with Ginko and maybe Yurika next. Ginko's would involve Kureha's mom in some way since that necklace is definitely not just a visual gag and something has to be up with it which naturally leads to Yurika since she was her old classmate . Then after that they can have 3 episodes about what the invisible storm is and 3 episodes to wrap everything together.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If the show is divided in three episode arcs then this could very well be a flashback motivation one with Ginko and maybe Yurika next. Ginko's would involve Kureha's mom in some way since that necklace is definitely not just a visual gag and something has to be up with it which naturally leads to Yurika since she was her old classmate . Then after that they can have 3 episodes about what the invisible storm is and 3 episodes to wrap everything together.

I'm a sucker for rule of 3 pacing stuff like that, but I think it would be a real shame if the next episode goes right back to the repetitive formula of missing sumika flashback, bear trial, bear fight, bears eat somebody again, since that stuff took so much airtime away.

I like this episode a lot because it gave me a reason to care about somebody, anybody.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I had been hoping that the show would improve a lot once it eased up on the repetition since unlike Utena I've found the formula to get a bit grating.

And luckily, I was right. Very good flashback.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Ikuhara doing comedy is always a good thing, and the lava pit was the best culmination of that gag.

He balanced it out with some good pathos, too. If more of the episodes were like this…

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Neeksy posted:

Ikuhara doing comedy is always a good thing, and the lava pit was the best culmination of that gag.

Reminded me of a very similar scene from Penguindrum, which was also great.

"Mr. President, watch out!"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Can someone make a ringtone out of Shabada! Shabadabadaba!

Full Metal Miku
Apr 9, 2006

Senerio posted:

Can someone make a ringtone out of Shabada! Shabadabadaba!

I have never claimed to ever be good at audio editing.

Hope this is satisfactory.

https://mega.co.nz/#!w4oWzCAK!WcalmMQgs8Jz1DekUXe5v4oS5U4NwAbWsgfcOJMVKUg

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its my first time going into Ikuhara's twitter, it is a weird place where he mostly retweets fan art and shows off advertisements for the manga/show. He also posted two calligraphy notes of some of the phrases used in the show. Particularly Shabadadu and Desire. I just realized that they both sound like you're saying death at the start of the words. Shi(abadou) Des(ire)

Also these things https://vine.co/v/OTl32H6PngA

e-welp

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 2, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I've decided the show is not good, and I don't care anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

potential spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/WcL5KKp.jpg

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Full Metal Miku posted:

I have never claimed to ever be good at audio editing.

Hope this is satisfactory.

https://mega.co.nz/#!w4oWzCAK!WcalmMQgs8Jz1DekUXe5v4oS5U4NwAbWsgfcOJMVKUg

That's great, thanks.

I enjoyed this week's episode. Glad to see my favorite designed background character actually have a role that isn't victim of the week.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Best episode yet this week. Finally getting more glimpses into backstory, how the characters think, how the Storm directly and indirectly affects everyone, and finally some flashbacks about Sumika that aren't just FLOWERS MOM SUKI. This show is silly and good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If I didn't just change my avatar, I'd cut this up and make it mine.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

spend dat anime money scrub
/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I actually enjoyed this episode, it's amazing what a bit a humour and some actual character interaction can do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think I'm pretty much in this for the Kuma Shocks and nothing more. Oh well!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

How undercover can you really be when you're reading a magazine called "Gau Gaw"?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do they sell bear oriented magazines in human shop?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Follow these 10 easy steps and she won't be able to bear being without you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How did Kureha's mum get pregnant when there are no men?

• Locked thread