Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Burgundy is tempting me as a light dice chucker. Its just so soon after Christmas, I'm tempted to buy it and lock it away until other games like Suburbia or Tash Kalar have cooled down.

I just picked up Spotify Premium and thinking of making a Twilight Struggle playlist. There's one already but I'm thinking a bit more mood setting than songs with titles about nuclear war. To date, my friend and I have been listening to the original Red Alert soundtrack but if anyone has any suggestions for either US or soviet songs that's give a feel of the time or the theme let me know, as I plan to alternate them. Currently thinking the national anthems, Times They Are A Changin', When Johnny Goes Marching On and inevitably We'll Meet Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Fat Turkey posted:

Burgundy is tempting me as a light dice chucker. Its just so soon after Christmas, I'm tempted to buy it and lock it away until other games like Suburbia or Tash Kalar have cooled down.

Just buy it, you will not regret it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Prairie Bus posted:

I think we're in agreement that it's elegant, but for the sake of argument, i maintain that it's not tight. It's an extra, easily forgotten rule. Tightness is about having less rules that easily slot into each other, not in having weird corner case rules.

I'm pretty sure nobody that I've ever taught Dungeon Petz to has ever, ever forgotten that pets you don't buy from the stalls are rendered into meat.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played some more Kanban tonight. Holy poo poo. I think this is becoming my favourite euro. The design is so intricate, and there are so many factors. Every little step towards unravelling the maths of the game makes you feel like a wizard.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

I just picked up Spotify Premium and thinking of making a Twilight Struggle playlist. There's one already but I'm thinking a bit more mood setting than songs with titles about nuclear war. To date, my friend and I have been listening to the original Red Alert soundtrack but if anyone has any suggestions for either US or soviet songs that's give a feel of the time or the theme let me know, as I plan to alternate them. Currently thinking the national anthems, Times They Are A Changin', When Johnny Goes Marching On and inevitably We'll Meet Again.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but the House of Cards soundtrack is pretty good for a chill/sombre political atmosphere.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

drat it and after putting together my own little version with metal coins and stuff :sigh:

Bah, our homemade versions are probably going to be better than the re-boot. People love the components I made for mine.

E: Are we sure it's the same game? The cover art isn't reminiscent of the game play, the name is different and I can't find any further details.

And answered:

Crackbone posted:

It's not a reprint. It's a new game using the same role selection design as witches brew.

I wonder if it will be as good as Witches Brew?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 23, 2015

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Prairie Bus posted:

It's an extra, easily forgotten rule.

I think the fact that we are here discussing that very rule, as well as the fact that I know the rule despite never having played the game, demonstrates the fact that it is NOT easily forgotten. The entire point of the fluff (or 'lack of fluff', wink nudge) is to make it easier for you to remember a rule that keeps the market flowing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Played Tragedy Looper with the fiancee for the first time last night, did the easiest script. I was mastermind.

She has something of a difficulty with attention span, so next time she's going to take notes to try to discern who could be what role/etc. She got into it more when I described it as Sherlock meets Edge of Tomorrow. Deduction and time travel! She hated it at first because it's pretty frontloaded with odd and specific terminology, but on the last two days of the last loop it all clicked and she managed to avoid the tragedy despite my best efforts. I coached her a bit to help her along, which is fine since it was practice/introduction.

I liked it.

Rules question: The mastermind handbook for the script has a brief write-up describing the setup written in second person. Is it supposed to be read aloud to the protagonists? It seems like it would give them a tremendous heads up regarding the threats heading their way if so.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Pander posted:

Rules question: The mastermind handbook for the script has a brief write-up describing the setup written in second person. Is it supposed to be read aloud to the protagonists? It seems like it would give them a tremendous heads up regarding the threats heading their way if so.

I had thought it was when I first tried it out, but it turns out that no, they go in completely blind with no description or anything.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Turkey posted:

If you wait for a sale, you can buy CoB for like $20. Don't bite the bullet just yet.

Also, post a link when you make that soundtrack. I love a good soundtrack for games. We played Eclipse with the OSTs for the Star Trek movies in the background.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Bah, our homemade versions are probably going to be better than the re-boot. People love the components I made for mine.

E: Are we sure it's the same game? The cover art isn't reminiscent of the game play, the name is different and I can't find any further details.

Here's the info from BGG:

BGG.com posted:

coming from alea is Broom Service, a reworking of Witch's Brew by original WB designer Andreas Pelikan and Alexander Pfister with art provided by Vincent Dutrait. For those not familiar with this 2008 release, here's a summary:

At Spiel 2014, alea developer Stefan Brück told me that this design would feature a role system similar to Witch's Brew, with players trying to outguess opponents in terms of the roles they choose and outplay them in when they play what, but with a game board element not present in the original game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lord Frisk posted:

If you wait for a sale, you can buy CoB for like $20. Don't bite the bullet just yet.

Also, post a link when you make that soundtrack. I love a good soundtrack for games. We played Eclipse with the OSTs for the Star Trek movies in the background.

Fiancee and I always do that. With LOTR LCG it's obviously LOTR soundtracks. With my gaming group friends we'd usually do BSG OST while playing BSG. I'm gonna try to use Digital Devil Saga OST with Tragedy Looper next, seems like it'd fit the theme.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Lord Frisk posted:

Let's do this.
Galaxy trucker with Gravity soundtrack (panic attack inducing)
Kemet with the Mummy (maybe Stargate?)
Letters from Whitechapel with the recent Sherlock Holmes' soundtracks

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

Regarding XCOM: The Board Game.

I had a chance to play XCOM last night. We played three player, with one player being in charge of satellites and aircraft, and the other two players being in charge of the troops and the scientists, respectively. The game itself is fairly simple - each turn, the players assign their independent resources among a variety of threats (or for the scientists, research). The players are further limited by the turn's total budget. The app keeps this part of the game brisk - everyone is on a timer.

Once everyone has assigned their resources, the timed portion ends and there's a resolution phase. Without tech, you roll one die per resource for each threat, looking for a number of successes in relation to the threat. You also roll an "alien" die, which checks for failure based on the number of times you've rolled against that threat. If the alien die is equal to or greater to that number, you temporarily lose your resources. This is pretty much the push your luck element you mentioned, and the dice can hurt here - there's only a 1/3 chance of success on each die. However, mitigation comes in the form of tech. The scientist's "threats" are technologies he/she researches, and these technologies generally offer ways to guarantee successes, increase the dice in your pool, or add money to the budget.

I played as the scientist, and I had a bunch of interesting decisions. I screwed up, because too many of my early tech went to the commander/satellite guy, leaving the troop guy too reliant on luck alone. If our troop guy was stronger, we probably would've won the game before paranoia levels got too high or the aliens destroyed our base.

What you've heard as criticisms aren't that far off the mark. Push your luck drives the early game, until the scientist has gotten enough tech (the cards) out. I only played it once, so I didn't get a chance to be anyone else, but it does seem as if the scientist is the best role in the early game. You've got a bunch of interesting decisions that you need to make very quickly, and those decisions have major impacts throughout the game. That said, each player had a lot of other decisions to make, and as the tech cards came out, they had more agency and could rely less on luck.

I've never played XCOM, but I enjoyed this. The mechanics left us feeling like we were a harried and underpaid alien fighting force, fighting a losing battle. The game felt a lot like the SUSD megagame, without the media or the petty jealousies. The dice can lead to some feel-bad moments, but this is clearly a game you're not supposed to be "winning" all the time. I look forward to playing it again.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think the fact that we are here discussing that very rule, as well as the fact that I know the rule despite never having played the game, demonstrates the fact that it is NOT easily forgotten. The entire point of the fluff (or 'lack of fluff', wink nudge) is to make it easier for you to remember a rule that keeps the market flowing.

Sure, and I do believe it's a good rule. I like Vlaada's games, and I like his thematic rules. There are a lot of them, and even though they make the games better, they are fiddly, which make his games less mechanically "tight."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Prairie Bus posted:

Sure, and I do believe it's a good rule. I like Vlaada's games, and I like his thematic rules. There are a lot of them, and even though they make the games better, they are fiddly, which make his games less mechanically "tight."
I'd have to agree with this, to some extent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fat Turkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqc4E2fX6XTuMAF5DQnuwkudr3E7idjuR

Mock my lovely taste in music and I'll say that I just listen to it for fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

JohnnySavs posted:

Let's do this.

The Starship Troopers soundtrack has a wonderfully grand and pompous style; it'd fit any slow and pompous military advance. Probably perfect for Twighlight Imperium, though I've not played it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Talisman with Nickelback.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

For once, I think someone is being to hard on Nickelback.

I would listen to them on repeat for 4 hours if it got me out of playing a game of Talisman.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Not gonna lie we were listening to the GoT soundtrack while playing. When Stannis's theme came on during Baratheon's turn it was metal as gently caress.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

StashAugustine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqc4E2fX6XTuMAF5DQnuwkudr3E7idjuR

Mock my lovely taste in music and I'll say that I just listen to it for fun.

Sorry but that's amazing thematically.

We were playing Virgin Queen and the host wanted to put on some music so we had to figure out 1) what musical period Virgin Queen took place in (it's Baroque) 2) Who were some Baroque composers we could play.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNuu4linpSw

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Baba Yetu while setting up any civ-like game.

Night on Bald Mountain before playing Chaos in the Old World.

Benny Hill Theme for Galaxy Truckers or Escape or whatever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Only one or two of the players would listen to that, everyone else would have 'Sad Trombone' on repeat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FISHMANPET posted:

We were playing Virgin Queen and the host wanted to put on some music so we had to figure out 1) what musical period Virgin Queen took place in (it's Baroque) 2) Who were some Baroque composers we could play.

So sad about 2. Jeezus he only did about 1000 songs, guess his name??? drat.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sim city is perfect for suburbia

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lorini posted:

In fairness Tchaikovsky is a hard name to remember

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JohnnySavs posted:

Let's do this.

Kemet literally has a Stargate in it, so yes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lorini posted:

Wait no it wasn't Baroque it was Renaissance, since the game takes place 1559-1598. So Bach is like 100 year soff.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Aston posted:

In fairness Tchaikovsky is a hard name to remember

You're right, but Vivaldi just rolls off the tongue!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FISHMANPET posted:

Wait no it wasn't Baroque it was Renaissance, since the game takes place 1559-1598. So Bach is like 100 year soff.

OK and no Tchaikovsky didn't do 1000 songs. Tchaikovsky can be awesome for background music for specific games though. Unfortunately for me, I'm hard of hearing so I can't have music while gaming :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't know how a Cold War soundtrack should be anything other than 80's music but to each their own :confused:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Epic Spell War of the Battle Wizards with an episode of Superjail playing in the background. :v:

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Pander posted:

Played Tragedy Looper with the fiancee for the first time last night, did the easiest script. I was mastermind.

She has something of a difficulty with attention span, so next time she's going to take notes to try to discern who could be what role/etc. She got into it more when I described it as Sherlock meets Edge of Tomorrow. Deduction and time travel! She hated it at first because it's pretty frontloaded with odd and specific terminology, but on the last two days of the last loop it all clicked and she managed to avoid the tragedy despite my best efforts. I coached her a bit to help her along, which is fine since it was practice/introduction.

I liked it.

I use the story line given to you as a post script to the group.

My first time playing last night went different. While there was some definite confusing in the beginning, they understand what plot was happening by the end of the 2 loop. They won both basic step scenarios without too much problem. With the ability to make your own scenarios or even tragedy sets, I could see this being a real staple for the right group.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The score for There Will Be Blood for euros

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Night on Bald Mountain before playing Chaos in the Old World.

Ooo, all the Isengard, Mordor, etc. stuff from the LOTR soundtrack would be good for CitOW too.

Jedit posted:

Kemet literally has a Stargate in it, so yes.

It's the Fargate! "F"! It's different from that movie that I've never seen, so how would I copy it?

I feel like the spacey-menacing tracks from the Drive soundtrack would be good for Coup and Resistance but I've never tried it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I picked up Roll for the Galaxy last night. And for once, a misprint was in the positive direction and I had a duplicate sheet of locations. The component quality is very nice, though, in true Race fashion, the rules are kind of opaque. I'll post more when I finally get to play it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FISHMANPET posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29h3IMVPDD4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

FISHMANPET posted:

You probably just want to listen to some John Dowland's music since that's in the same period. Most of the renaissance music is scared. The big time composer of the era was definitely Palestrina. However, Carlo Gesualdo is getting his due now.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 23, 2015