Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

codenameFANGIO posted:

Donkey Kong characters are loving hideous holy poo poo

I hate Rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Rare was actually a terrible company and props to Nintendo for making bank off selling them.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Donkey Kong characters are loving hideous holy poo poo

elf help book posted:

I hate Rare.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Rare was actually a terrible company and props to Nintendo for making bank off selling them.

Jesus christ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah Nintendo made a big mistake selling Rare. Imagine where they'd be now if Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Kameo were Gamecube exclusives.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I realized that when I played Star Fox Adventures back in 2002. Wish they made another Conker game before they were sold off, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Conker's Bad Fur Day owned

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sorry if my opinion irks you. It's not what I wanted out of a Metroid game. Here's another unpopular opinion, I liked Other M more. :c00lbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Die

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

You're doing God's work, Kewpuh.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has there ever been any kind of postmortem that analysed how Rare fell from grace? I loved most of their SNES and N64 output, but somehow everything went to poo poo in the Gamecube/XBox era.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They kept trying to make '90s games in the 2000s.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Also between Nintendo and Free Radical, most of their good people left.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Free Radical made good games on the GameCube.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rudoku posted:

I realized that when I played Star Fox Adventures back in 2002. Wish they made another Conker game before they were sold off, though.

I liked Star Fox Adventures. (and was probably the only person who did)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Free Radical made good games on the GameCube.

Timesplitters Future Perfect was pretty cool.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Time to Split!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

noirstronaut posted:

Other M is not cute.

I paid $5 for a brand new copy of Other M and still felt ripped off, the only thing good about it was the Club Nintendo code.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Fremry posted:

SFA wasn't a bad game; it's just a mediocre game whose reputation has been blown out of proportion by gamers' anger over the fact that it was an action-adventure game rather than a SF64 sequel.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

SFA wasn't a bad game; it's just a mediocre game whose reputation has been blown out of proportion by gamers' anger over the fact that it was an action-adventure game rather than a SF64 sequel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One thing that really bugged me about DK 64 is it invents Tiny and Chunky Kong who could easily have been Dixie and Kiddy Kong? Why introduce two new characters with the exact same abilities as two old characters and completely write the old characters out of existence? Lanky Kong was great, he was brand new and I liked his attitude, Chunky and Tiny can go to hell.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think it's unreasonable disappointment, since the only reason why people like Star Fox is because it's a really good rail shooter.

And furries, I guess.

SFA was a pretty lousy game though, let's be honest.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Point taken; the character design was pretty poo poo. There wasn't much wrong with the gameplay, though; there just wasn't anything really special about it either.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Retro has basically been Nintendo's new Rare for longer than Rare was, although they put out games at a slower rate. They've twice taken on the daunting task of resurrecting a long-dead fan favorite franchise and they knocked it out of the park both times.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Save for Tricky and the staff, the designs look alright enough; I mean Krystal is furrybait but her design communicates 'native' pretty clearly. I think you mean the render in 3D is awful which I can agree with. That being said, I think SFA was aggressively mediocre.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
People like Star Fox because the games for SNES and N64 were really cool arcadey rail shooters. They haven't made a good Star Fox game since 64 unless you count its remake. Assault tried to be a sequel to 64 but it just felt really underwhelming and the ground sections weren't very fun. Adventures and Command blow chunks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Retro could literally announce anything and ill be excited. New Prime? New DK? An entirely new game?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Austrian mook posted:

Retro could literally announce anything and ill be excited. New Prime? New DK? An entirely new game?

Bubsy.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Retro's big announcement will be a revival of the Ice Climbers Franchise.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

I would kill for a new 2D Metroid for Wii U with 3D graphics in the style of NSMB.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fremry posted:

Nope, you're not the only one. But we're few and far between, and for good reason.

It's the difference between "I like this game" and "this is a good game". It's perfectly ok to like a mediocre game, or to hate a good game.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I would kill for a new 2D Metroid for Wii U with Metroid Prime concept-styled artwork.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Nope, you're not the only one. But we're few and far between, and for good reason.

It's the difference between "I like this game" and "this is a good game". It's perfectly ok to like a mediocre game, or to hate a good game.

Yeah, it didn't break any new ground, but it was basically a Zelda clone (it used the same engine as OoT), with a Star Fox/Sci-Fi veneer. I'm not a huge fan of the medieval type fantasy (swords, bow and arrow, magic, etc.) so I enjoyed it as a Sci-fi Zelda game.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

I never knew how much I wanted this until now.

Hand-drawn animated Metroid :worship:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

What? Is that even owned by Nintendo?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Austrian mook posted:

What? Is that even owned by Nintendo?

Nah it's not owned by Nintendo, but the thought of Retro people going "alright, what else can we bring back to life..." and coming across Bubsy amused me, that's all.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

I have not disliked any of their games. They're a good dev.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have not disliked any of their games. They're a good dev.

To be fair, it's really just Metroid Prime, DKCR, and some game called Raven Blade. Mario Kart 7 is listed but it's just to provide DKCR assets and probably tweak them. If it's more, then great, but I thought that's all MK7 was for them.

That said, I will go further and say their Metroid and DK games are among my favorite games I've ever played, and are all top 10 on their respective systems for me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Greenlight page for Meme Run claims it's the "third best selling eShop game". I dunno if that means it hit #3 on the sales charts one time or if it's legitimately doing better than real actual games for non-children but it's depressing either way.

I guess the silver lining is that it just reinforces the fact that there's a market on Wii U for your games, no matter how inane, so if you're working on something you think is neat you might as well release on Wii U.

Shockingly, the eShop doesn't separate regulars sales from "Oh man, the Internet is saying that this game is terrible so I'm going to reward the lovely devs by buying it as well!" sales.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is literally the best game I've ever played. Metroid Prime Trilogy is up there too. When this convention scheduled for?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

On the other hand Retro is slow as gently caress and I have no idea why. There's like a four year gap between Corruption and DKCR? Then 3 more for Tropical Freeze? Do they have like three guys over there or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

On the other hand Retro is slow as gently caress and I have no idea why. There's like a four year gap between Corruption and DKCR? Then 3 more for Tropical Freeze? Do they have like three guys over there or what

Don't they help with asset creation on other 1st party games like Monolith? That, or good games take time to make.

• Locked thread