Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Revival was a pretty good book, though I don't know if I'd rank it among my favorite King novels.

But the ending is something that will stick with me for quite a while. I'll be doing some mundane task, like washing dishes at home, and I'll think about the ending and just think: "Well, gently caress."

I could've seriously done without the last chapter, though. King really needs to stop spelling everything out for his readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

joepinetree posted:

I am glad I didn't give up on the dark tower after the first book, because the drawing of the three is pretty great. I don't know at which point it becomes a mess, but this one is right up there with anything else King has written.

Drawing of the Three is great. The Waste Lands may be the most fun I've had reading King book and is my personal favorite. Wolves is when it starts going downhill (especially since I haven't read Salems Lot so didn't care much about the Callahan backstory at time). The last few are still a fun ride and if you go in pretty much with viewpoint that anything can happen and rules are made up as they go sometimes - it's an enjoyable time. Dark Tower as a whole is quite an experience to read and definitely not worth just giving up in the middle and not completing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

And if anybody bitches about the ending, I'm gonna bugfuck on 'em. It was planned far in advance and was right on the nose. He has the horn now, which among other things implies he's progressed to the point where he won't let Jake drop, which is where his current cycle begins to fail, not coincidentally in the earliest action of DT1.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

It wasn't the true ending people hated IIRC, it was right before when Roland got to the tower, only to face a crimson king who just threw sneetches at him or whatever while making a pitiful "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. After he got into the tower, I at least thought it was fine.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Victorkm posted:

It wasn't the true ending people hated IIRC, it was right before when Roland got to the tower, only to face a crimson king who just through sneetches at him or whatever while making a pitiful "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. After he got into the tower, I at least thought it was fine.

This for sure. I really enjoyed the true ending, but that was such an anti climactic boss fight .

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Revival's been on my shelf since Christmas and now you guys have me psyched for it. I remembered I had a paperback of Lisey's Story laying around that I never read so I re-started that instead.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Victorkm posted:

It wasn't the true ending people hated IIRC, it was right before when Roland got to the tower, only to face a crimson king who just through sneetches at him or whatever while making a pitiful "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. After he got into the tower, I at least thought it was fine.

Well that is a completely correct opinion. Someone should have sat King down as he was writing the end, and made him re-read Insomnia so he'd remember what his readers were expecting.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just finished The Talisman and thought it was rad. Should I read Black House right here and now or is it no good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Human Cow posted:

I just finished The Talisman and thought it was rad. Should I read Black House right here and now or is it no good?

It's way different. I liked the Talisman a lot more.

The first chapter of Black House, which is like 100 pages long, is pretty crappy though. It's one of those long, omniscient-type passages where the viewpoint is carried on the wind and visits lots of places and people. It's basically worldbuilding, but it's boring. :(

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Seconding the first 100 pages of Black House being pretty poo poo, but I am apparently one of the few people who really liked the rest of that book. It's been a while though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Damo posted:

Seconding the first 100 pages of Black House being pretty poo poo, but I am apparently one of the few people who really liked the rest of that book. It's been a while though.

I liked the book but it's nowhere nearly as good as the Talisman, to me.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
oh for sure

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

franco posted:

Yeah, it is me. I am the SK thread pariah because I LOVED The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon AND Gerald's Game. Both had me gripped. Am I broken, thread? :ohdear:

Yes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

Ugh. Again, I feel compelled to explain.

This book, like The Talisman, was a collaboration with Peter Straub.
This is a thread about King, so maybe you haven't read Straub except for The Talisman.

Older Straub works are chilling and amazing, and every bit as good as old King.

One device he uses is the device in Black House where he explains the geography of the work and also introduces characters and he does it in a very personal "author to reader" way. King does it, too; but this sequence is pure Straub.

That doesn't make it bad. It makes it boring to SK fans but normal to Straub fans. It's not poo poo, it just isn't en media res. Have a little patience, for fucks' sake.

Personally, I think King gave Straub the intro because he knew he was going to spend the next whole novel taking away the original narrative, and Straub's naunce; and replacing it with Dark Tower poo poo and loving over The Talisman forever, by stealing a great collaboration and turning it into another King mythos (Dark Tower) book when it started out as a much better collaboration that touched us all.

Don't like Straub? How about you read Shadowland, or Floating Dragon? Do you have more patience? Then read the Blue Rose books, or Julia, or Mr. X, or Ghost Story, or?

making GBS threads on the first pages of Black House is like comparing the novel to a Christopher Cross song and making Straub sing echoes.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

mdemone posted:

Well that is a completely correct opinion. Someone should have sat King down as he was writing the end, and made him re-read Insomnia so he'd remember what his readers were expecting.

Yeah man Dark Tower would've been much better if Roland had had to poke the eye of an old-lady-catfish hybrid. SO TERRIFYING!

EDIT: The start of Black House is poo poo but the middle and end are also poo poo so it's okay.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 25, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I like Straub and have read most of the books listed and I still think the first 100 pages of Black House are dreadfully boring.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

I like Straub and have read most of the books listed and I still think the first 100 pages of Black House are dreadfully boring.
Fine. So, take Straub out and just make the sequel to Talisman an SK novel. Judging by how well we all enjoy SK turning Black House into a Dark Tower novel it's a total win, then.

I'm not going to diss anyone for not liking the intro to Black House, but as soon as I read the first paragraph I recognized this as a Straub device; and I just enjoyed it as such. It's a lot of exposition to set up a large cast, and I see nothing wrong with it. It's just a different style. Personally I was much more put off by the fact that the rest of the story turned into another wank over the Dark Tower.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I haven't read much Straub but Black House was a chore to read. The really jarring thing about it was how easy it was to tell who wrote what and I didn't think the styles meshed well at all. It was reading an exquisite corpse.

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a thread about King, so maybe you haven't read Straub except for The Talisman.

One device he uses is the device in Black House where he explains the geography of the work and also introduces characters and he does it in a very personal "author to reader" way. King does it, too; but this sequence is pure Straub.

That doesn't make it bad. It makes it boring to SK fans but normal to Straub fans. It's not poo poo, it just isn't en media res. Have a little patience, for fucks' sake.

Personally, I think King gave Straub the intro because he knew he was going to spend the next whole novel taking away the original narrative, and Straub's naunce; and replacing it with Dark Tower poo poo and loving over The Talisman forever, by stealing a great collaboration and turning it into another King mythos (Dark Tower) book when it started out as a much better collaboration that touched us all.

Don't like Straub? How about you read Shadowland, or Floating Dragon? Do you have more patience? Then read the Blue Rose books, or Julia, or Mr. X, or Ghost Story, or?

making GBS threads on the first pages of Black House is like comparing the novel to a Christopher Cross song and making Straub sing echoes.

So how do feel about Peter Straub?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Speaking of other authors, anyone with recommendations for recent horror books? I enjoyed Cutter's The Troop someone mentioned a few months ago here, and like the first 2/3s of Cronin's The Passage (but was seriously annoyed by the twelve).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

So how do feel about Peter Straub?
Straub's older stuff is very interesting in that it isn't over-the-top sensational for the most part. His books were slow burns that suddenly got nuts (like the movie Burnt Offerings, for example) where it's all about atmosphere and innuendo and then BAM horror out of nowhere. I liked that. His Blue Rose detective/suspense novels are drat good, too.

Floating Dragon, on the other hand, was his (successful) attempt to just throw everything in a pot and blow it up (to paraphrase his own description) and wow was it nuts.

So, in answer to you sarcastic "question," I feel that his older stuff is atmospheric and tame until it's suddenly very visceral and shocking, as in Shadowland when the main character, who is just a young boy, gets loving crucified by the evil old magician who knows he's outclassed by a mere child.

That's just one example.

Still, I can't defend his newer work, and won't try.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've tried to read "Ghost Story" and "The Talisman" on a few occasions but found myself bored to death with and drowning in the over-wrought language. Reading Straub reminded me of the few times I've tried to read "Frankenstein", where I know I'm supposed to like it but just can't get into it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I've tried to read "Ghost Story" and "The Talisman" on a few occasions but found myself bored to death with and drowning in the over-wrought language. Reading Straub reminded me of the few times I've tried to read "Frankenstein", where I know I'm supposed to like it but just can't get into it.
Ghost Story is a Straub novel. The Talisman is not.
I would never compare Black House to a PS/SK novel except to note that the intro to Black House is straight out of the Blue Rose books, (Mystery, I think it was.)

As I just said, I don't look down on people because they like this style or that style. It's just that Black House had a Straub intro (that so many of you hate with a passion) but I think Black House suffers way more for being a DT novel that Straub had to help write. I think that's cruel (or profitable?) based on actual Straub novels.

Both guys write much better than Koontz. Can we agree on that, at least?

April
Jul 3, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Speaking of other authors, anyone with recommendations for recent horror books? I enjoyed Cutter's The Troop someone mentioned a few months ago here, and like the first 2/3s of Cronin's The Passage (but was seriously annoyed by the twelve).

I read Strings by Allison Dickson, and it was surprisingly good for an unknown author. Not perfect, but a lot of fun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Both guys write much better than Koontz. Can we agree on that, at least?

That's kind of low-hanging fruit.

Though to be honest I do have a soft spot for the Odd Thomas books.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

BiggerBoat posted:

I tried to get through Ghost Story a few times years and years ago and never really did it. But that said, The Talisman is a loving fantastic book. It does start off slow, I know. It takes forever for Jack and the story to get going. But once everything does finally get moving, oh man does the book get loving great. It's one of my favorite books ever. Just brilliant dark fantasy that also has some genuinely terrifying moments and imagery.

I still have never gotten around to reading Black House. I will eventually. I've heard so many mixed things; but I need to read it and make up my own mind. It's just that The Talisman was a book that I discovered at a library book sale like 20 years ago. And already being a King fan, I grabbed it and delved into it. I've read it several times over the years and it still holds up. It's loving good.

e: "SEND OUT YOUR PASSENGER!" loving scary as hell.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 25, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You are defending Straub a lot versus people that like Stephen King more, in the Stephen King thread.

Also, finally read Revival. I actually liked it a lot, thanks for the recommendation, thread.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Revival:

The record company guy has an experience/vision in the revival tent, where he sees everybody as giant ants.

Since the end of the book shows that when we die, we get transported to the "ant-realm" to live in never-ending servitude, and the preacher guy's whole schtick is to bring his wife and son back from the dead, to rescue them from this realm, why are the ants present in the tent? Do they just like to watch their coming subjects live their little lives?

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Dr. Faustus posted:

i would have to say it doesn't get more accurate than this.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

You are defending Straub a lot versus people that like Stephen King more, in the Stephen King thread.
Peter Straub is relevant to the thread because, and I don't mean to shock you here, Peter Straub co-wrote both The Talisman and Black House with Stephen King. When those books are discussed in the Stephen King thread, and the omniscient narrator talks to you in the beginning, that is a Straub device that you find in his works and it's clearly a Straub contribution. A Straub contribution to a book he co-authored with Stephen King.

I hope I didn't lose you anywhere, as it's very straight-forward and germane to the topic.

janklow posted:

i would have to say it doesn't get more accurate than this.
Thanks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dean Koontz is hilarious. Where's the Koontzthread?

April
Jul 3, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Pretty sure it would just be this:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/terrible

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

April posted:

Pretty sure it would just be this:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/terrible

That and a bunch of adorable pictures of dogs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Peter Straub is relevant to the thread because, and I don't mean to shock you here, Peter Straub co-wrote both The Talisman and Black House with Stephen King. When those books are discussed in the Stephen King thread, and the omniscient narrator talks to you in the beginning, that is a Straub device that you find in his works and it's clearly a Straub contribution. A Straub contribution to a book he co-authored with Stephen King.

I hope I didn't lose you anywhere, as it's very straight-forward and germane to the topic.

Thanks.

Thanks, friend. You seemed to have missed the point where anything you just said was relevant. You do not need to be well-versed in someone's works to say you dislike a particular part of them. In fact, most works of fiction are written for enjoyment.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Imagine a dog saving your life, forever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Imagine a dog saving your life, forever.

Also you woo a woman by having a Magic Dog.

And woo another woman by being a creepy space-stalker Nazi.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Look I just want to read Ride the Storm because my 16-year-old self wants to know how that story ends.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

Thanks, friend. You seemed to have missed the point where anything you just said was relevant. You do not need to be well-versed in someone's works to say you dislike a particular part of them. In fact, most works of fiction are written for enjoyment.
Sorry, friend. I didn't mean to trigger you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, friend. I didn't mean to trigger you.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yes, you 'triggered' me into admitting the cardinal sin that I read fiction for enjoyment :unsmith:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

Again, I apologize for talking about not-Stephen King in the Stephen King thread.

Please accept my apology and move on with your life.

GreyPowerVan posted:

You do not need to be well-versed in someone's works to say you dislike a particular part of them. In fact, most works of fiction are written for enjoyment.
Hey I'm not versed in someone's works, I just dislike them. Fiction is written for my enjoyment so if I don't like it, it's BAD. OK? Q.E.D.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Dr. Faustus posted:

Have a little patience, for fucks' sake.

Wow dude, talk about being condescending. I made it through reading all the poo poo you wrote in your post, so based on that I think I'm pretty patient.

You can be a patient reader and still think that something is boring or bad. Like the first 100 pages of Black House. It wasn't the worst thing I ever read, but it was pretty boring. If I wasn't patient I would have never made it past it. I can understand other people liking it, of course. It just wasn't my style.

Not that the rest of the book was amazing or anything in comparison. I think anyone would say The Talisman is infinitely better than Black House. My original post was just expressing how I didn't think it's complete poo poo like most people, that's all.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 26, 2015