Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For what it's worth, the guy who sat next to my group when we went as tourists was very nice (and drunk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Where do these commentators come from? In previous videos it sounds like (even though I don't speak any Japanese) the official TV broadcast, but these announcers seem more... casual?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Uncle Jam posted:

It was the announcers comment that got me.

Woman:Woman what a throw!

Man: Some foreign dude, er umm a foreigner was blocking my view so...

Just that constant reminder they gotta stick in there...

Fryhtaning posted:

Turned up the volume and :stare:

... my Japanese sucks, but the tone of voice and of the "gaijin" told the whole story

Immediately caught that as well. Well done, he tried to correct himself but it's not like he'd catch guff for saying it anyway. It's JAPAN for crissake.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

dupersaurus posted:

Where do these commentators come from? In previous videos it sounds like (even though I don't speak any Japanese) the official TV broadcast, but these announcers seem more... casual?

Usually it's a career tv person teamed up with an ex wrestler, so clearly in this case the guy was some ex sumo which explains saying a not exactly polite word over the air.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCvyoxRXLQ

The last 6 or so bouts today were all pretty drat good.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCvyoxRXLQ

The last 6 or so bouts today were all pretty drat good.

Do not go chest-to-chest against Kotoshogiku unless you are a big giant motherfucker, Yokozuna or not.

Really, uchimuso has never been done before? People seem to go after the legs often enough that you'd think it'd been done by now. What's so unique about that one? Edit: I seem to recall Hakuho sometime in 2014 doing a karate chop to the knee like that.

Ikioi has got to be hiding an injury with the way he is looking.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 21, 2015

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Fryhtaning posted:

Really, uchimuso has never been done before? People seem to go after the legs often enough that you'd think it'd been done by now. What's so unique about that one? Edit: I seem to recall Hakuho sometime in 2014 doing a karate chop to the knee like that.

Looks like your recall is spot on.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Does anyone think we'll ever see an appearance by Takanoyama in the stands ever, or is he pretty much gone back to Czech to coach the next generation?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Uncle Jam posted:

Usually it's a career tv person teamed up with an ex wrestler, so clearly in this case the guy was some ex sumo which explains saying a not exactly polite word over the air.

Is a different type of show, though? Compare to today's (day 11), which sounds like any old sports commentary, to that, which more sounds more like a conversation show.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Either I misread or he fixed the wording, because I looked again and it said "a highly rare kimarite that he has never used before." Either way, nailed it. :smug:

Gibbo posted:

Does anyone think we'll ever see an appearance by Takanoyama in the stands ever, or is he pretty much gone back to Czech to coach the next generation?

He married a Japanese woman, so he certainly would be allowed to stick around in the country and attend as a spectator if he wanted to. I wonder if we'd recognize him after losing all that sumo weight :haw:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

dupersaurus posted:

Is a different type of show, though? Compare to today's (day 11), which sounds like any old sports commentary, to that, which more sounds more like a conversation show.

I don't really know, it might be a minor NHK channel that is doing the early bouts for that day or something. Stuff gets shoved on and off the main channel all the time. I've seen playoff baseball games get interrupted mid pitch for some silly news update on a lame story before.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Do not go chest-to-chest against Kotoshogiku unless you are a big giant motherfucker, Yokozuna or not.

It's really strange that other rikishi would attempt that. It's not like he hasn't been around for ages, he has his shtick, and he can perform it well. It's a failing on his competitors for trying out belly Giku.

The same goes for Aoiyama when he decides to not go for tsuppari. They guys reach is incredible, I would love to see a win ratio for tsuppari vs belt matches for him.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I didn't hear any nasty tone regarding the "gaijin" thing. Sounds like he just used the word he was used to using because he's never really thought about it before (a problem in itself).

About Takanoyama: I thought if he wants to be part of the kyokai poo poo he'd have to stick around for a bit but I don't know what his plans are.

That reminds me, though. I went to the Kokugikan last Saturday and had a good time. Saw Ichinojo and Kaisei when they arrived at the building. Along with that, before the final bout a bunch of paramedics came up into the seats near where I was sitting. I looked over to see what was going on (probably some old person got sick or something) and who do I see but Kotooshu carrying a stretcher. I still find it interesting that even famous rikishi are given grunt jobs after they retire.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCryv5tenGI

I was muttering to myself right before Harumafuji-Ichinojo that this would be the perfect time for Harumafuji's half-henka. Heh.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 22, 2015

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Takanoyama comes up short for kyokai membership with only 5 bashos in Makuuchi and 11 in Juryo, so that's a no go.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
From the interviews it seemed like he just wanted to get home. I don't think changing countries is for everyone.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

From the interviews it seemed like he just wanted to get home. I don't think changing countries is for everyone.

I must have misinterpreted "in the stands" as being in the audience. He'd be allowed to live in Japan (and attend sumo) due to his wife, but yeah, kyokai is no-go for him.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

I must have misinterpreted "in the stands" as being in the audience. He'd be allowed to live in Japan (and attend sumo) due to his wife, but yeah, kyokai is no-go for him.

I definitely meant as in the audience, not as an elder/commentator/whatever they have for options.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVtsdJ50g8

Alright, this run of leg-related wins by Tokitenku is getting ridiculous.

Welp, after all the shakiness last week, I wasn't expecting Hakuho to clinch this early. Congrats on the record!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVtsdJ50g8

Alright, this run of leg-related wins by Tokitenku is getting ridiculous.

Welp, after all the shakiness last week, I wasn't expecting Hakuho to clinch this early. Congrats on the record!

I am amazed that Hakuho kept his poo poo together all the way down the tunnel. That was intense.

May have been the most thunderous tachiai I've ever seen from Harumafuji, and what a finish to that match.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This Hakuho kid's got potential.

(I have goosebumps right now)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Holy poo poo, when the monoii happened (and with the subsequent rematch call), I actually gasped and started breathing heavily, apparently, because my officemate asked if I was ok...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

ahaha Holy poo poo that stack of cash was so thick he had to use both hands to grab it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't think there's any doubt Tokitenku's getting the technique prize, right?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Pvt. Public posted:

Holy poo poo, when the monoii happened (and with the subsequent rematch call), I actually gasped and started breathing heavily, apparently, because my officemate asked if I was ok...

I was on lunch break when I watched, I had food flying out of my mouth and I knocked my seltzer over. What a great match, such drama.

Tsaedje posted:

I don't think there's any doubt Tokitenku's getting the technique prize, right?

It would be quite a snub I think, if anyone else gets it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I am really enjoying the variety of bouts we're getting at the moment. Of course you're always going to have lots of 2 second yorikiri bouts and the like, but we're getting scrappy, slappy, cagey, brute force, endurance, kicks, throws...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I hadn't been able to watch every day, but upon hearing that Hakhou could have won it and taken the record, I skipped ahead to today. Good call, me.

I also found out a few days ago that I had a mate that happened to be in Japan this month and got to go to the basho, including for today. Lucky, lucky bastard.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I wonder how much money Hakuho's raking in this tournament

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

^^^ I'd like to know this, too. What are the current estimates for top rikishi income?

I just started actually keeping up with a tournament after catching the occasional YouTube video over the past year. I don't care about sports at all, but there's something really interesting and elegant about sumo. I'm hooked.

Also the thread title is pretty amazing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Heads up, the official sumo app is available in English now, $5 per month to watch all the makuuchi bouts going back to 2010.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

^^^ I'd like to know this, too. What are the current estimates for top rikishi income?

I just started actually keeping up with a tournament after catching the occasional YouTube video over the past year. I don't care about sports at all, but there's something really interesting and elegant about sumo. I'm hooked.

Also the thread title is pretty amazing.

We started with the original quote (pigs colliding) and then someone had the magical idea to change it to "colluding", and perfection was born. Fat men in diapers should be pretty goddamn disgusting, but in this case they're not, so elegance is the perfect word to explain why. Except the gross, gross Aoiyama.

It may be over, but we've still got 2 days of sumo left. Drink up!

Day 14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QASIfKFjPD4

Edit:

Astrotrain posted:

Heads up, the official sumo app is available in English now, $5 per month to watch all the makuuchi bouts going back to 2010.

Holy poo poo, the kyokai providing something like that in English is HUGE.

Edit2:
Goeido is now the only exciting story - will be holding my breath tomorrow.
Mizuiri - WOW!
Those Endo fangirls :stare:
Titanic matchup between Hakuho and Harumafuji, neither of them with anything to lose but their pride.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 24, 2015

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lots of great stuff today even though the basho has already been decided. Particularly... Goueidou keeping his Ozeki hopes alive and Terunofuji / Ichinojou. I've only been following the thread/sumo for about 2 years so this was neat.

Astrotrain posted:

Do you have the actual app name or know if it's on IOS? I'm having trouble finding it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Lots of great stuff today even though the basho has already been decided. Particularly... Goueidou keeping his Ozeki hopes alive and Terunofuji / Ichinojou. I've only been following the thread/sumo for about 2 years so this was neat.

Do you have the actual app name or know if it's on IOS? I'm having trouble finding it.

It's linked from the Kyokai page.

http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/kyokai/information?id=74

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.dwango.sumo&hl=en

iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id775745258

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

It's linked from the Kyokai page.

Awesome, thank you!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Sweet so with that app you can watch all that days bouts of an ongoing basho? If it's HD quality (or at least better than what we currently get on Youtube) could be well worth it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There is a free version of the app, though you are limited to one video a day and some other silly stuff. Still, I was able to check out the video quality and it is much better than YouTube. They didn't have any subtitles or anything, but the app itself seems to have been translated into English fairly well.

e: $4.19 a month for me in the US for the pay version, which has unlimited video watching. The app is pretty drat cool. Definitely check it out.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah I'll pick it up before the next basho and judge it on how fast they get the videos up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
One big warning, it does appear to spoil things for you. There may be a way to disable showing results before watching a video, but I haven't found it, yet.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-mujLf8eI

It happened a basho later than I predicted, but it looks like the upper ranks have figured out the mammoth puzzle that is Ichinojo.

Wow, sanyaku ranks are cleaned out - but ozeki remains as is. Massive comeback by Goeido!

Harumafuji almost chokeslamming Kisenosato out of the dohyo :staredog:

Only fitting that we close this basho with one HELL of a final match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What a great final day for an already decided basho.

Great that Goeido managed to salvage his tournament, though I feel like he needs a solid 10+ win next time out or he'll never get his mojo back