Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snorch
Jul 27, 2009
In light of calls to reform, I propose that we gently caress the Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Agnosticnixie posted:

Maybe police departments should stop hiring clinical paranoiacs.

And perhaps stop training them to be paranoiacs.

I just learned a new word today. Fun!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

snorch posted:

In light of calls to reform, I propose that we gently caress the Police.

I don't see progressive liberals lining up to join any police forces. If you want to have some police you have to take what you can get.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

spacetoaster posted:

I don't see progressive liberals lining up to join any police forces. If you want to have some police you have to take what you can get.

sorry i wont become a doctor i'll just become a cop great advice.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I guess Holder's renouncement wasn't as big a deal as it was made out to be.
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/19/how-the-press-exaggerated-holders-forfei

Sounds like a drop in the bucket.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

joeburz posted:

sorry i wont become a doctor i'll just become a cop great advice.

What advice? I just made a statement. :downs:

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

That's because you are pretty retarded. When progressive liberals like the gay lady cop who stopped her mongo white boy partner from assaulting a civilian they get fired just like her.

But keep on thinking of ways to blaim liberals when the institution never protects liberals or conservatives who do the right thing on the face of the greatest obstacle to police reform...the police themselves.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tezcat posted:

That's because you are pretty retarded. When progressive liberals like the gay lady cop who stopped her mongo white boy partner from assaulting a civilian they get fired just like her.

But keep on thinking of ways to blaim liberals when the institution never protects liberals or conservatives who do the right thing on the face of the greatest obstacle to police reform...the police themselves.

Good argument. I agree with everything you said.

Status quo stays in effect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If more progressive people joined the mormon church we could reform the religion from the inside!! It's not like the entire church hierarchy and power structure is set up in a way to prevent that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Reforming liberals have been working in the police force since Serpico. They end up with their lives in danger or placed in mental wards like Adrian Schoolcraft.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

It's not even an argument. It just highlights the stupidity of assuming that police are all the same political spectrum and how critical thought destructive it is to parrot "liberal" just for the sake of shutting down conversation.

I mean if you don't want to contribute to the thread just hide it. Trying to poo poo it up with "change it from the inside" is stupid considering we have been discussing what happens to those that try to at length for some time now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

spacetoaster posted:

What if we score too high on the IQ test?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There's plenty of democrat voters in cops. Most of them are just democrats and not true leftists, though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Serve no-knock warrants and jail pot smokers, but do it with caring and with an Obama '08 sticker on your locker. Bit by bit, the wheels of reform will turn.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha who wants a video of the white dude tackling the black gunhaver in the Florida WalMart.

Second angle at 1:35 is great, fat wal-mart employee walks over, sees some poo poo is happening, says gently caress it and walks away.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/01/20/shopper-tackles-man-with-gun-at-wal-mart/22067325/

edit: seriously even the shopping carts are armed at wal-mart now:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/shot-fired-at-winona-walmart----by-a/article_4706e113-357c-57c0-bffe-29ccc2ee79e8.html

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 22, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha who wants a video of the white dude tackling the black gunhaver in the Florida WalMart.

Second angle at 1:35 is great, fat wal-mart employee walks over, sees some poo poo is happening, says gently caress it and walks away.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/01/20/shopper-tackles-man-with-gun-at-wal-mart/22067325/

edit: seriously even the shopping carts are armed at wal-mart now:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/shot-fired-at-winona-walmart----by-a/article_4706e113-357c-57c0-bffe-29ccc2ee79e8.html

All of the people running up to help the guy hold him down are really tops.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GreyPowerVan posted:

All of the people running up to help the guy hold him down are really tops.

Well it is illegal to have a gun and be blackalso just to be black in general, :lol: so you can't really blame them can you? :v:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

spacetoaster posted:

I do see progressive liberals join, and then get idoctrinated.

Because a big part of the problem is toxic police culture. Fix the police and maybe you'll get better candidates.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So whats the word with the Justice Department clearing (dropping?) charges against Darren Wilson?

Also it even seems like some in the NYPD have had enough with Pat Lynch's antics and he is facing an opponent in the union elections for the first time in 16 years

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Zeitgueist posted:

Fix the police.

drat catchy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a good thing that Wal-Mart shopper was seen by an unarmed citizen and not a cop, because if he'd been spotted by a cop he'd be dead and they'd be smearing him in the media.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Armani posted:

drat catchy.

Sure, but is castration really a viable solution?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Trabisnikof posted:

He failed to follow a direct order from law enforcement, shouldn't have happened but he should have been listening closer.

I know this is a sarcastic post, but this attitude really mystifies me. Do US police never have to deal with drunk people? The worst police around here get is "not this poo poo again :rolleyes:" when they have to deal with someone who's too panicky or off their face to follow basic instructions, so long as they're not actually being threatening.

Jesus H. gently caress:

quote:

“Show me your hands. Show me your f—— hands,” Days said, before quickly adding, “Get him out of the car, Rog[er Worley], we got a gun in his glove compartment.”

After the gun is retrieved, Days continued to yell at Reid. “I tell you, I’m going to shoot you,” he shouted. “You’re gonna be f—— dead. You reach for something, you’re going to be f—— dead.”

Reid then attempted to exit the vehicle with his hands raised, at which point Officer Days yelled, “Don’t you f—— move!” before he and Worley opened fire, discharging their weapons at least six times.

I don't care if someone is actually armed or actively posing a threat to others, talking like this should get you fired. There's no way that isn't unnecessarily escalating the situation.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

snorch posted:

Sure, but is castration really a viable solution?

Please, we've had enough of that in the "to catch a predator" thread.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The "ask a cop goon" thread is so sad. It's just cops poo poo posting and then GiP dudes licking the cops boots. They don't take anything seriously. I guess that's authoritatians for you....

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Murderion posted:

I don't care if someone is actually armed or actively posing a threat to others, talking like this should get you fired. There's no way that isn't unnecessarily escalating the situation.

Thats just how they talk in New Jersey

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

KomradeX posted:

So whats the word with the Justice Department clearing (dropping?) charges against Darren Wilson?

Holder hasn't announced a decision yet, but several sites have been reporting a rumor that the DOJ won't be bringing federal civil rights charges.

This isn't particularly surprising, since that case would be more difficult to prove than a state-level criminal case.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zzyzx posted:

Holder hasn't announced a decision yet, but several sites have been reporting a rumor that the DOJ won't be bringing federal civil rights charges.

This isn't particularly surprising, since that case would be more difficult to prove than a state-level criminal case.

Against Wilson. Reports are that the investigation into department practices will continue, which was always the more likely case to go ahead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Against Wilson. Reports are that the investigation into department practices will continue, which was always the more likely case to go ahead.

Sure, but its not like anyone in the department will face charges. At worst they'll get a consent decree.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Everyday Lurker posted:

I'm still looking for the Black Panther "break out the guns, we are at war with these people" response.

On the other hand, here's this: Man arrested after tackling shopper carrying gun

White guy sees black guy with gun and plays hero. Turns out black guy's packing legally. White guy gets a charge, goes to jail.

That is really weird. Why the gently caress would someone do this?

The comments are too :tinfoil: for me, but at least it makes some sense.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

He was trying to save the guy's life - if the police had shown up and a white guy wasn't in the line of fire, who knows what could have happened. :v:

See also: racism, glorification of similar acts in media, general stupidity.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

eNeMeE posted:

He was trying to save the guy's life - if the police had shown up and a white guy wasn't in the line of fire, who knows what could have happened. :v:

To be fair, that happens to white guys too, see: Erik Scott.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The "ask a cop goon" thread is so sad. It's just cops poo poo posting and then GiP dudes licking the cops boots. They don't take anything seriously. I guess that's authoritatians for you....

I will never not find it hilarious that the cop threads are in GiP.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

The comments are too :tinfoil: for me, but at least it makes some sense.

People are dumb and don't know what's legal. I had the cops called on me for loading rifles into a car to go target shooting when I was in college. The neighbors who called the cops was from NYC and didn't realize that laws differ between NYC and a small city in Indiana.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They need their little murder safe space. Police and military have the thinnest skins, they think they're entitled to a certain level of hero status and are above any sort of criticism. Both also have a toxic culture of us vs them, service members vs civilians, and a system of "policing their own" because civilian outsiders just can't possibly understand the stressful situations they're in or why they had to murder those homeless people/protestors/iraqi civilians.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They need their little murder safe space. Police and military have the thinnest skins, they think they're entitled to a certain level of hero status and are above any sort of criticism. Both also have a toxic culture of us vs them, service members vs civilians, and a system of "policing their own" because civilian outsiders just can't possibly understand the stressful situations they're in or why they had to murder those homeless people/protestors/iraqi civilians.

I was in the Army for seven years, I have a fair idea of how they think (and from what I've gathered from a few glances at GiP over the years most of them are commo nerds or admin whatevers so killing people is hardly less theoretical for most of them than it is for most civilians) it's just that when I was in cops were firmly on the "them" side of that equation.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Evil_Greven posted:

To be fair, that happens to white guys too, see: Erik Scott.

It absolutely can, has and will continue to happen to white people and I wish that particular myth of privilege would die. It's extremely destructive to the narrative, that police brutality is a problem. Sure it's more likely to happen to black people because of systemic racism, but I refuse to let racism be an aegis to protect me from corruption/incompetence, any more than I'm forced to by living in a racist society.

An individual officer may see a white person as less of a threat than a black person, but when he goes off the rails, and starts beating the poo poo out of someone, racial privilege isn't going to help anymore.

mlmp08 posted:

People are dumb and don't know what's legal. I had the cops called on me for loading rifles into a car to go target shooting when I was in college. The neighbors who called the cops was from NYC and didn't realize that laws differ between NYC and a small city in Indiana.

Calling the police is a 100% reasonable course of action in that case, tackling someone that happens to have a gun but is otherwise not-notable isn't reasonable. I hope that guy gets charged with felony assault.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Powercrazy posted:

It absolutely can, has and will continue to happen to white people and I wish that particular myth of privilege would die. It's extremely destructive to the narrative, that police brutality is a problem. Sure it's more likely to happen to black people because of systemic racism, but I refuse to let racism be an aegis to protect me from corruption/incompetence, any more than I'm forced to by living in a racist society.

An individual officer may see a white person as less of a threat than a black person, but when he goes off the rails, and starts beating the poo poo out of someone, racial privilege isn't going to help anymore.

You have some dumb as poo poo ideas about racism and privilege.

quote:

Sure it's more likely to happen to black people because of systemic racism

Congratulations, that's what people are talking about when they talk about privilege. The aegis part is all you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Calling the police is a 100% reasonable course of action in that case, tackling someone that happens to have a gun but is otherwise not-notable isn't reasonable. I hope that guy gets charged with felony assault.

If he had called the police the black man might have ended up dead. You realize that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Would've been easier to point out that he called something a myth and then a few sentences later said "I mean I know it's real and all..."

• Locked thread