Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

U/B control players want it. Only other wraths right now are a 5 mana white one and an artifact that requires 9 mana over 2 turns. There's also enough midrange decks around that a 5 mana wrath isn't as bad as it could be.

In Garruk's Wake is also a thing too, even if no one uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

I kinda doubt Sarkhan 4 since that would be pretty awkward, what with him being in the first block... I expect Narset over him.

They just had two Xenagos in the same block. Granted, one of them was a creature, but I don't think they're that worried about having two versions of the same planeswalker in the same block. They've had two (or more) of the same in the same Standard plenty of times. There's been multiple Garruks, multiple Jaces, multiple Ajanis, and I think multiple Sorins. Having one Sarkhan in the first set and a different one in the third set isn't that different from having one in the first set and a different one in the core set. Especially since these sets won't be drafted together.

Revitalized posted:

Im not terribly familiar with the current meta but I noticed my store's buylist has crux of fate for a few dollars. This looks like sort of a mediocre board wipe thats slightly better than Extinguish All Hope. Am I missing something? (I probably am)

I figured it would be a dollar rare but its several dollars?

5 mana is waaaaay less than 6 mana, and we don't get 4-mana board wipes any more.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

The red and black ones can be pretty interesting into some game states on both ends, and the green one is super deck dependent.

But I played eight games with citadel siege over the course of the PR weekend and it was just super miserable. Really don't like the design space of super hard to deal with limited bombs that rapidly escalate into a foregone conclusion.

Citadel Siege is a more expensive pack rat you can't even remove the turn it hits play

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 23, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I Love You! posted:

Citadel Siege is a pack rat you can't even remove the turn it hits play

It's a top 3 card for limited in the set.

Anyone test Warden in Abzan aggro? What about Valorous Stance?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 23, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

5 mana is waaaaay less than 6 mana, and we don't get 4-mana board wipes any more.

What? We just finished a block with supreme verdict and day of judgement.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

we wont get 4 mana uncounterable unconditional board wipes anymore per Wizards right before the release of Khan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

i.e. it's been two years since we got one.

And they've said they're leaning away from super-efficient unconditional wipes. Going forward, we're more likely to see stuff like End Hostilities and Duneblast at higher mana costs, with more conditional board wipes like Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods at 3 or so mana.

And I'd be surprised if we even get a proper 2-mana Pyroclasm again any time soon.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
They never said we wont have 4 mana wrath again, they just said we won't have it all the time any more, i.e. more anger of the gods and end hostilites

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

They just had two Xenagos in the same block. Granted, one of them was a creature, but I don't think they're that worried about having two versions of the same planeswalker in the same block. They've had two (or more) of the same in the same Standard plenty of times. There's been multiple Garruks, multiple Jaces, multiple Ajanis, and I think multiple Sorins. Having one Sarkhan in the first set and a different one in the third set isn't that different from having one in the first set and a different one in the core set. Especially since these sets won't be drafted together.

Also, Khans is the first block that will follow the new standard rotation, and judging by what they're hinting at in the lore articles, it's looking like Khans of Tarkir won't exist as that form much longer.
New Sarkhan coming in when the old one goes out seems like a cool flavor idea.

Edit: I wonder what's gonna happen to Sorin since he's on Tarkir but not from there when the new timeline happens. Probably nothing but he also knew Ugin was dead, as did Nahiri. Hmm.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think sarkhan will likely stay a walker so they don't have to retcon alara and zendikar.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
OK, I'm definitely running Pox for the PT, this deck has all sorts of sick as poo poo matchups. I've still got to figure out what to do about Graveyard Hate but I feel like that is going to be wildly unpopular with the Cruise banning so hopefully this deck will be a major winner.

Streaming Modern Pox now at https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

Come on down and enjoy the grindy, obnoxious show! I could use SB suggestions and ideas for how to deal with Relic of Progenitus.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: I wonder what's gonna happen to Sorin since he's on Tarkir but not from there when the new timeline happens. Probably nothing but he also knew Ugin was dead, as did Nahiri. Hmm.

You're already thinking harder about the implications of time travel than any fantasy game writer ever has.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Alaan posted:

I think sarkhan will likely stay a walker so they don't have to retcon alara and zendikar.

If you want to be pedantic about it, continuity is already hosed. Because the dragons are still alive, the "modern" clans don't revere them, so Sarkhan was never obsessed with them, so he wouldn't have pledged his fealty to Bolas, so he wouldn't have been in the Eye on Zendikar. He winks out of Tarkir's past because of that paradox:

quote:

If he had never served Bolas, if he had never been sent to the Eye of Ugin, if he had never come to Tarkir with voices ringing in his broken mind—without all of that hardship, he wouldn't have had a chance to forge a new chain for his world.

As with any time travel story, their best bet is to just say "don't worry about it too much, time travel doesn't make a lot of sense" and assert that everything outside of what is explicitly shown to be changed is the same. I assume they won't just be like "oh by the way because there are dragons on Tarkir the Eldrazi are still sealed."

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Boxman posted:

If you want to be pedantic about it, continuity is already hosed. Because the dragons are still alive, the "modern" clans don't revere them, so Sarkhan was never obsessed with them, so he wouldn't have pledged his fealty to Bolas, so he wouldn't have been in the Eye on Zendikar. He winks out of Tarkir's past because of that paradox:

As with any time travel story, their best bet is to just say "don't worry about it too much, time travel doesn't make a lot of sense" and assert that everything outside of what is explicitly shown to be changed is the same. I assume they won't just be like "oh by the way because there are dragons on Tarkir the Eldrazi are still sealed."

they should have the eldrazi get resealed and have another rise of the eldrazi set clearly

e: hey i'm on the stream hi mom

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If we don't get a set called Fall of the Eldrazi at some point I don't know what they pay Creative for.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I Love You! posted:

OK, I'm definitely running Pox for the PT, this deck has all sorts of sick as poo poo matchups. I've still got to figure out what to do about Graveyard Hate but I feel like that is going to be wildly unpopular with the Cruise banning so hopefully this deck will be a major winner.

Come on down and enjoy the grindy, obnoxious show! I could use SB suggestions and ideas for how to deal with Relic of Progenitus.

Update your links with a decklist.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Dealing with relic: krosan grip, pithing needle/revoked naming relic, suppression field and damping matrix. Chalice on 1 before relic hits the board.

Grip gets RiP and leyline too. These answers are all kinda lame honestly

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I tried a pox list for a while but felt it was really inconsistent and got stuck on lovely hands that didn't do anything most of the time. Squee + zombie infestation seems pretty sweet though

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

netcat posted:

I tried a pox list for a while but felt it was really inconsistent and got stuck on lovely hands that didn't do anything most of the time. Squee + zombie infestation seems pretty sweet though

A guy at my store had a deck like that. He even ran tibalt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Playing Zombie Infestation with 2 Life from the Loams in your hand just seems disgusting.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

forbidden lesbian posted:

Playing Zombie Infestation with 2 Life from the Loams in your hand just seems disgusting.

I wondered about that since the first time a kid showed up at my shop with 4 Zombie Infestation 4 Treasure Hunt 26 Island 26 Swamp. Like, "Could this deck be good if I splashed green for Loam and actually ran good lands? Nahhh..." It does seem like the biggest possible benficiary of Golgari Grave-Troll's unbanning, though.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

I think the sieges fail at weaving story telling into cards. If they didn't explicitly spell out the sides it'd be hard to tell which most modes represented or that they were supposed to at all. Citadel and Frontier Siege -- what a weird/bad(?) card -- are probably the most successful in that regard. And FS achieves this by having "flying matters" on a green card.

Also Citadel Siege is going to be straight miserable to play against in limited.

(Crux of Fate does the dual foil watermark thing, as well)

I keep hearing people talk about Frontier Siege Citadel Siege being really good and remembering that I played against a guy who got it both games at the prerelease. He would have won both games if he'd picked the first mode, but he didn't so I just tapped my one cheap warrior card and played more and swung in. Pretty sure that a 6/6 Vigilance would have slowed that down a little!

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It sounds like you're talking about Citadel Siege not Frontier Siege and it sounds like you didn't read the card (or I'm misreading what you're saying).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

odiv posted:

It sounds like you're talking about Citadel Siege not Frontier Siege and it sounds like you did read the card.

Frontier Siege is actually bad.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Death Bot posted:

I keep hearing people talk about Frontier Siege being really good and remembering that I played against a guy who got it both games at the prerelease. He would have won both games if he'd picked the first mode, but he didn't so I just tapped my one cheap warrior card and played more and swung in. Pretty sure that a 6/6 Vigilance would have slowed that down a little!

You mean citadel seige, and the second mode is good, just not against a deck whose best creature isn't all that important.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

It sounds like you're talking about Citadel Siege not Frontier Siege and it sounds like you didn't read the card (or I'm misreading what you're saying).

Almost assuredly he's talking about Citadel Siege, although I'm not sure what 6/6 dude he's referring to.

Although I'm very disappointed at the lack of janky Dark Deal/Waste Not brews being posted in this thread and the brewhaus. :colbert:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 23, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It looked like he was choosing which of his creatures to tap, which would make the card a lot worse, but it could be I misunderstood.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Citadel Siege followed by an End Hostilities seems very powerful in standard...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

You're already thinking harder about the implications of time travel than any fantasy game writer ever has.

Guess I should take up the torch.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone test Warden in Abzan aggro? What about Valorous Stance?

I don't think Warden is right for Abzan Aggro. Contorts your mana too awkwardly, and spending your first two turns making him a 3/3 while not playing your tapped lands, making your 3/4/5 drops even slower, seems bad.

I do, however, think Valorous Stance is good and will probably be a 2-of in my deck. I'm also thinking about cutting the 2 Elspeths from the main, letting me cut the 26th land and probably a Murderous Cut for the 2 Stances. I might try Brutal Hordechief in place of Elspeth.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

Almost assuredly he's talking about Citadel Siege, although I'm not sure what 6/6 dude he's referring to.

Although I'm very disappointed at the lack of janky Dark Deal/Waste Not brews being posted in this thread and the brewhaus. :colbert:

Whoops, looked up and c/ped the wrong Siege!

The 6/6 I'm talking about is Dragon Bell Monk with two helpings of counters on it, which has to be better than tapping my Chief of the Edge while I empty my hand. Sorry I wasn't clear!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

I don't think Warden is right for Abzan Aggro. Contorts your mana too awkwardly, and spending your first two turns making him a 3/3 while not playing your tapped lands, making your 3/4/5 drops even slower, seems bad.

I do, however, think Valorous Stance is good and will probably be a 2-of in my deck. I'm also thinking about cutting the 2 Elspeths from the main, letting me cut the 26th land and probably a Murderous Cut for the 2 Stances. I might try Brutal Hordechief in place of Elspeth.

If someone dropped Warden, I'd probably be happy given the amount of removal in Standard. If someone wants to put stupid amounts of mana into a dude that just gets Struck, Stoked or Downfalled when it finally becomes a threat, that's fine by me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

I think you want to play Hordecheif with tokens...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There's got to be some kind of weird Mardu Purphuros/Elspeth/Hordechief brew out there right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Balon posted:

There's got to be some kind of weird Mardu Purphuros/Elspeth/Hordechief brew out there right?

My guess is that if you were trying to make a Purphoros deck you'd probably just prefer to cast Hordeling Outburst and Raise the Alarm to the extent necessary. Whisperwood Elemental/Purphoros seems like a cute combo too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Balon posted:

Mardu tokens. Forget Elspeth and Purphuros.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that if you were trying to make a Purphoros deck you'd probably just prefer to cast Hordeling Outburst and Raise the Alarm to the extent necessary.

Absolutely, but Elspeth is a repeatable source of tokens and Hordechief gives you the reach to break through a board stall. I don't doubt that Outburst and RtA make the cut for this kind of deck.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For people who care about Magic literature, a friend is reviewing "The Moons of Mirrodin."

Note: it's actually way better for those of you who don't care about magic literature

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Balon posted:

Absolutely, but Elspeth is a repeatable source of tokens and Hordechief gives you the reach to break through a board stall. I don't doubt that Outburst and RtA make the cut for this kind of deck.

Yeah, but Elspeth does a good enough job killing opponents on her own without needing help. A Purphoros deck is probably a mono-red deck that's pooping goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Balon posted:

If this is a good deck it should win before Elspeth is relevant. You're not gonna out midrange Abzan decks with tokens.

• Locked thread