Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Is it wrong I think the JD-Xi is kind of cool?

No, and don't let anyone tell you different. If a piece of gear sounds cool to you and makes sounds that you want, then it shouldn't matter what the gear is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

toadee posted:

Honestly I find the fact that the Timbre Wolf isn't even in tune with itself, on any level, kind of endearing. I really hope these things just tank in value because I would totally pick one up for $100 or something and make some detuned madness.

I'm waiting until Aphex Twin makes a killer track with it and all the gearslutz start talking about its unique and versatile character.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ahahahaa, I decided to see if sonicstate had talked about the Timbre Wolf yet and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnaaO_hCXfo&t=113s

Nice 4-voice filter there, it gets really squelchy :thumbsup: It doesn't sound exactly the same no matter what knob you turn, no sir.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Akai wins two NAMMs in a row.

Glad to see people waiting for the last minute. Nor'easter this weekend so I'll be locked in with whiskey and synths. The best boners are hasty and unplanned.

That's rad as hell

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Wonder how much the Casio groove box is going to retail for. Tiny, a built in speaker and, I swear, Devo's It's Not Right as one of the preset beats. Not that I have any need for one, but I think I'm sold.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sonicstate's got a bunch of stuff up, kinda wanted that waldorf before I heard it now I'm sure I want it. gently caress alright I'm done reading namm coverage drat.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Sonicstate's got a bunch of stuff up, kinda wanted that waldorf before I heard it now I'm sure I want it. gently caress alright I'm done reading namm coverage drat.

holy hell built in speech synthesizer??? :aaaaa:

i hear the siren call of modular synthesizers.... i can feel the money in my wallet trying to escape

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 23, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

The best boners are hasty and unplanned.

I think we have a new out of context thread title.

On another note, did Korg hint at any kind of price for the MS-20 module? I couldnt find a dollar amount anywhere, but maybe i missed something obvious.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

MockingQuantum posted:

I think we have a new out of context thread title.

On another note, did Korg hint at any kind of price for the MS-20 module? I couldnt find a dollar amount anywhere, but maybe i missed something obvious.

Yeah it's $1200 at Sweetwater http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS20MSQ1LTD

Which sucks because I really don't want an MS-20 with keys, I would much much rather have this, but I can't understand how deleting keys and adding a couple of basic features doubles the price over the mini.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

toadee posted:

Yeah it's $1200 at Sweetwater http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS20MSQ1LTD

Which sucks because I really don't want an MS-20 with keys, I would much much rather have this, but I can't understand how deleting keys and adding a couple of basic features doubles the price over the mini.

Yikes. Never mind. I'll just buy a mini used.

And I literally just searched on Sweetwater for it, i swear something's wrong with their search function.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

toadee posted:

It's not a real solid reason, but mainly because you should compare it to the to the full size MS-20 kit version.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

I found the Korg MicroSampler keys are pretty much identical in measurements to other keys, here being an MK61 midiboard and an old Malmsjö organ. Hard to see since I'm weak and sick and barely able to shoot snapshots straight but they all have 9/16th space between black keys near identical (the MK61 having a pinch less space)

Are the MS20 mini keys even smaller than that? If the MS1 keys aren't SlimKeys, wth are SlimKeys?

e: better measurement = one octave of MS1 keys is one key shorter than a full-size keyboard
No wonder it feels perfectly fine for me

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 23, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Small keys bother me. I'm considering selling the microbrute for a bass station 2 or something with normal sized keys

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Small keys bother me. I'm considering selling the microbrute for a bass station 2 or something with normal sized keys

I have a brand new minibrute I'm trying to offload if you want the same sound. :v:

But on the subject of mini-keys, for what it's worth the MS-20-mini ones feel like the best mini-keys I've ever played (they're very solid) and going back and fourth between my full-sized and mini keyboards isn't a thing I have to think about.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have a brand new minibrute I'm trying to offload if you want the same sound. :v:

But on the subject of mini-keys, for what it's worth the MS-20-mini ones feel like the best mini-keys I've ever played (they're very solid) and going back and fourth between my full-sized and mini keyboards isn't a thing I have to think about.

Haha, i'll consider it. But I really like the Bass Station 2 demos I've seen

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mostly play with minikeyboards and have started to notice I'm really uncomfortable playing normal-sized keys that aren't horribly spongy and awful.

I've become a monster

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

When you fill every hole #JustSynthThings

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I mostly play with minikeyboards and have started to notice I'm really uncomfortable playing normal-sized keys that aren't horribly spongy and awful.

I've become a monster

Not only because of the fibro is it that I can only really do fullsize standard keys if they are the very best and straight outta FATAR or a comparable factory and also have wheels, not joysticks :smith:
It's just that good. Nearly dropped €200ish on a Kurz K2000 again to have as a midiboard a few years back. The 61 key board I got from a second hand shop (+5v from gameport for power) simply requires too much pressure to trigger, it's like typing on a stiff computer keyboard and not one of these softer Logitechs I cannot live without.

I those wheel-having smaller midi keyboards of Korg have these sorts of keys I need to dump this 61er and get one.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hello MiniBrute friend. What would you be looking for that, perchance (shipped to 98102)?

Also, since I've (so far) acquired all my HW synths via goonsales and would like to keep that train a-rollin' if I can, does anyone have a lightly used, well-loved Volca Keys or Volca Bass (and/or Volca Sample!) they want to sell to me?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

When you fill every hole #JustSynthThings

All holes filled with hard patch

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Gonna fill the iDevice slots with M&Ms, best unit ever

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

minidracula posted:

Hello MiniBrute friend. What would you be looking for that, perchance (shipped to 98102)?

Also, since I've (so far) acquired all my HW synths via goonsales and would like to keep that train a-rollin' if I can, does anyone have a lightly used, well-loved Volca Keys or Volca Bass (and/or Volca Sample!) they want to sell to me?

They're going for around $350 on ebay right now so somewhere around that. (shipping will be included since it's only coming from 92805)

If you're interested send an email to benloe81 (at) gmail.com.

And I only have the Volca Sample... but not a chance in hell I'm selling it since the SQ1 will sync that. (that and it's loving awesome)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

MPC Renaissance is on sale on Massdrop, so I was looking at other prices. MSRP is $2000, but every site has it for $700. Is this the biggest difference between MSRP and real price for a product?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Every demo of the Timbre Wolf is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnaaO_hCXfo

Comedy gold.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Comedy gold.

0:55 has me cracking up. Couldn't the dude sit down with the thing for like 10 minutes before being thrust onto the namm floor?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

treasureplane posted:

Comedy gold.

Does that guy just not know how to use a synthesizer or does the timbre wolf really sound that awful?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Considering the rhythm wolf's bass synth(which this is just 4 copies of), can't track accurately over an octave, it probably just sounds this bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

treasureplane posted:

Comedy gold.
And they want people to pay how much for this thing again? :laffo:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

*bag breaks, spilling broken doorbells on floor*

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=2P8-WboRLVw&p=n#/81;84

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

dying

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
guys, quit timbrewolfing up the thread

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

guys, quit timbrewolfing up the thread

TB-3, TEEBEE-3, is it any good? Hear that it's like really real acidy and all

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

TB-3, TEEBEE-3, is it any good? Hear that it's like really real acidy and all

quit it, the only thing I want to hear from your timbrewolf hole is the sound of my boner jam sliding in and out of it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Pos my neg timbre hole

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_x17qzzA4
MFB finally seen at NAMM :woop:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

quit it, the only thing I want to hear from your timbrewolf hole is the sound of my boner jam sliding in and out of it.

:v:

Hey at least the Microkorg got a break from being the most hated upon entry level synth.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
in celebration of the timbrewolf, here's one last beta sampling of my boner jamz track before I add vocals and a few finishing touches. it mostly works.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/o-circle-no-vox

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Is there anyone at all with a Dominion in the states yet? Honestly, that thing, maybe 3U of FSU modules and a ROMpler is what I should pare down to. lol hail satan

Kurz triple strike as requested, tails not choped, not normalized, @92VEL Bon[er]us, an octave of a stringer patch. Also no loop points, not normalized. Sorry, :effort:
Share if you bother to make something in a modern (kontakt? sfz? dunno) format.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

Kurz triple strike as requested, tails not choped, not normalized, @92VEL Bon[er]us, an octave of a stringer patch. Also no loop points, not normalized. Sorry, :effort:
Share if you bother to make something in a modern (kontakt? sfz? dunno) format.

No worries, it's a breeze and quite the pleasure to use the MS1:

I did however find that you've got a hiccup with your recording interface, too low ASIO latency? Many keys on hit a snag like this

(D3, F3, G3, A3, C4, D5, E5, F5, G5, B5 and too many of the black key samples to be able to fill in the empty spaces)

But oh maaaan how nice it sounds to play the MS1 like this :unsmith:
God bless samplers. We all need them and I gotta convert old treasures, maybe see if I can convince the Swedes to sample off their Moogs for me..

e: Can otherwise confirm it does a seemingly flawless job at automatically blending samples for keys that otherwise would be left empty, great machine. Only whites are necessary
e: Speak up if you want a 76 meg Roland S-550 sample-set with a ton of good stuff, also has wav-conversions for use with non-S series sampler

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

The more I read about that little casio groovebox the more interested I am. Having sample memory and a load of effects makes it quite attractive. Have any of you seen a video of the synth voicing in it being demoed?

E: If we're doing sample requests, anyone have some nice rhodes samples? :shrug:

E2: Actually the lack of non-usb midi out on the groovebox is a little worrying (not that I sequence via anything except pc at this stage, but was hoping this might be a step in the right direction). Here's hoping for v2 in a less ridiculous colour with midi ports.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 25, 2015