Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Addendum:

Do Not Watch Yugioh Zexal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Added addendum:

DO watch arc-V.
Its amazing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I just got to start watching arc-v from the latest two episodes. I forgot that yugioh as a whole had more padding than Dragon Ball Z.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

real question: As someone who only watched YGO and YGODM, is there any reason at all to watch GX and 5DS?

everyone says that GX is stupid funny I mostly think it's just stupid stupid, tho the ones that are love letters to the original series were good to me.

I have no desire to see 5D's.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

forbidden lesbian posted:

everyone says that GX is stupid funny I mostly think it's just stupid stupid, tho the ones that are love letters to the original series were good to me.

I have no desire to see 5D's.

What about the crossover movie.

It's secretly a 5Ds movie.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

What about the crossover movie.

It's secretly a 5Ds movie.

It's also worse than Pyramid of Light.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

It's also worse than Pyramid of Light.

Synchro what?!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago. :corsair:

Edit: Wow. Did they remove the old guy in a wheelchair emote?

Edit2: thanks!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 23, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AlternateNu posted:

I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago.

The first ten or so episodes are dedicated to explain every single part of the Pendulum mechanics.

The game is tragically different than a decade ago.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AlternateNu posted:

Once a turn but otherwise yes, they stay out, yes they are treated as spell cards, yes you can, no they aren't.

AlternateNu posted:

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago.

:corsair:

also Yugioh is rad and new mechanics are rad. Pendulums rule, my favorite Pendulums are DDDs because they have cards named Hell Armageddon the Cruel End Overlord and Abyss Ragnarok the Complete Oblivion Overlord.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pendulums are kind of overcomplicated but xyz and synchro are really cool mechanics

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

Pendulum monsters are an entirely new type like geminis and tuners before them.

Yes. Its for free once per turn.
Yes they are treated as spell cards when in the pendulum zones.
All pendulum monsters go to the extra deck on leaving the field. This does mean they go to the graveyard if they are sent to it from outside the field. Like if they get their summon or their placement in the zones negated.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I wish the subs still used "DDD Hell Armageddon CEO" instead of the full name.

Action cards are just silly anime plot devices. They go in and out of being obnoxious, might just be me though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They justify making a cram school that teaches you how to punch someone in the face during a duel, so they're fine on my book.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wait. They made a series of monsters named after high ranking corporate position? Is there a Chief Financial Officer one? :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sadly no.
The rest of the archetype are all historical leaders and conquerors.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Other things about Pendulum Summons (since I run a Pendulum Deck and all :v:) are:

- You can't interrupt a Pendulum Summon while there is a Pendulum Summon going on. If I bring out Dragoons of Draconia and Lancephorhynchus and you have no response, you can't activate Dust Tornado as I use the 2 Scales (Dragoons and Lance) to bring out a second Lance, Tune Warrior, and Flash Knight. The Pendulum Summon can't be interrupted.

- There's apparently a debate on whether cards that Banish (previously known as "Remove From Play") cards work on Pendulum Monsters since they don't go to the Graveyard anyway. Who knows right now.

- If a Pendulum Monster is used as Xyz Material in an Xyz Summon, they do not go to the Extra Deck but to the Graveyard as they are not Monster Cards or Spell Cards.

- If a Pendulum Monster goes from your Deck or Hand to the Graveyard, then it goes to the Graveyard. The only way a Pendulum Monster gets to go to the Extra Deck is if it's on the Field as a Monster or in the Pendulum Zones as a Spell.

- If your Scales have only 1 Level between them, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Monsters of that Level. For example, if one Pendulum Monster is Scale 3 and your other is Scale 5, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Level 4 Monsters. This differs from the Anime, however.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The game is tragically different than a decade ago.

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Other things about Pendulum Summons (since I run a Pendulum Deck and all :v:) are:

- You can't interrupt a Pendulum Summon while there is a Pendulum Summon going on. If I bring out Dragoons of Draconia and Lancephorhynchus and you have no response, you can't activate Dust Tornado as I use the 2 Scales (Dragoons and Lance) to bring out a second Lance, Tune Warrior, and Flash Knight. The Pendulum Summon can't be interrupted.

- If your Scales have only 1 Level between them, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Monsters of that Level. For example, if one Pendulum Monster is Scale 3 and your other is Scale 5, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Level 4 Monsters. This differs from the Anime, however.

A few small corrections:
While the Pendulum Summon itself cannot be stopped, the activation and summoning can be negated. So while Dust Tornado wouldn't stop it, a card like Solemn Judgement would.
And your example would be valid, since the numbers are two numbers apart. A Pendulum Scale of 3 and 4 would not work though, since there are no monster levels between those two numbers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Status report: Currently up to episode 13 of GX where Jaden duels a monkey named Wheeler. Still can't decide if I'm in the

alcharagia posted:

GX:

Seasons 1 and 2: Own because they're stupid and hilarious, the last episode of 104 contains the best moment in the entire series.

stupid fun camp or the

stupid stupid camp

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

He's wrong. There's no reason you can't summon just one level of monster.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure, it's in the rulebook though that's with the Starter for 2014.

It's not, but I'm sure you can't. Checking again because I saw it somewhere and I know it's not possible in DevPro or YGO Pro, but the only Konami game that is out atm is the new ARC-V PSP game in Japan which just released yesterday.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 23, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure, it's in the rulebook though that's with the Starter for 2014.

That rule just counts for numbers that are next to each other. It's just saying you can't Pendulum Summon with, say, a 3 and a 4 since you would only be able to summon monsters with a level of something like 3.5, which don't exist in the game.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 23, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

That rule just counts for numbers that are next to each other. It's just saying you can't Pendulum Summon with, say, a 3 and a 4 since you would only be able to summon monsters with a level of something like 3.5, which don't exist in the game.

Ok yeah. I don't know what the gently caress I'm thinking. :v: Apologies!

Should not mix YGO with Windows 8.1 installing because I'm confused.

Anyway, yes. I was wrong, you can Pendulum Summon a 4 if you are using a Scale 3 and 5 (as an example).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

dogsicle posted:

I wish the subs still used "DDD Hell Armageddon CEO" instead of the full name.
Yeah, "Hell Armageon Overlord" sounds like something a 15 year old would come up with as the bad guy's name for his novel.

DDDs are my second favorite archetype that appeared in Arc-V, right behind Frightfurs, whose official announcement I await with bated breath.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

This is almost insulting. Nekroz are already one of the most broken archetypes in the game, the last thing they need is another boss monster, one that can apparenty shut down summoning for a whole turn.

These new cards were posted in the Anime Card Game thread, you might want to check them out.

quote:

Raidraptor - Blaze Falcon
Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect
3 Level 5 Winged-Beast-Type monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, it can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed.

Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius
DARK L4 Winged-Beast
1100/1900
You can only use the effect of “Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius” once per turn.
(1) During a Main Phase of the turn this card was Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can increase the Level of all “Raidraptor” monsters you control with a Level by 1.
(2) During a Main Phase of the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 “Raidraptor” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius”.

Raid Raptors – Impale Lanius / Raidraptor – Impale Lanius
Dark Winged Beast / Effect
LV4 1700/1000
You can only use the effect of “Raidraptor – Impale Lanius” once per turn. (1) Once, during the Main Phase of the turn this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 face-up Attack Position monster; change it to face-up Defense Position. (2) During your Main Phase 2, if this card attack this turn: You can taget 1 “Raidraptor” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Rank-Up-Magic Revolution Force
Apply 1 of these effects, depending on whose turn it is.
● Your turn: Target 1 "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster you control; Xyz Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Raidraptor" monster that is 1 Rank higher than that monster you control, by using it as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster).
● Your opponent's turn: Target 1 Xyz Monster your opponent controls that has no Xyz Materials; take control of it, then Xyz Summon, from your Extra Deck, 1 "Raidraptor" monster that is 1 Rank higher than that monster you control, by using it as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster).

Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon
Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect
3 Level 6 Winged-Beast-Type monsters
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this turn, this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a face-up Special Summoned monster: That monster's ATK and DEF become 0. If this card has a "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of its ATK.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 23, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't understand anything going on with any of those cards, they all sounds way lamer than the Red-Eyes Black Dragon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was reading through the op and I got to this part in Aki's

quote:

and then nothing until the finale where she regains some relevance and her relationship with Yusei is made clear.

And did a Yugioh series actually end up with a relationship

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a lot of teasing that relationship throughout the whole series to the point where Leo and Luna are sarcastically commentating on how they're the third wheel on a date between the two of them and the last episode has Aki confessing her feelings and Yusei accepting them with a very obvious kiss cut. So yes, a Yugioh series had a canon girlfriend for the protagonist.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

So yes, a Yugioh series had a canon girlfriend for the protagonist.

B-bakana

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

LV11 3600/3400

having not played since a long time ago i can only assume this is a fusion hoser

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Man, I remember Ritual cards. Did they ever get a big season dedicated to them, or did the first (card game) season count as the 'ritual summon focused' season? because I remember that as mostly being fusions with like two ritual summons and a lot of 'advanced' summons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

having not played since a long time ago i can only assume this is a fusion hoser

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

LV11 3600/3400

Wait, so if your opponent has less than 3600 lifepoints, is this just an "I win now" card?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Schubalts posted:

Wait, so if your opponent has less than 3600 lifepoints, is this just an "I win now" card?

Ayup.

Mind you, this was the original version of the card

Sophia, Goddess of Rebirth
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monster from anywhere on the field, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card's Special Summon cannot be negated. When this card is Special Summoned: Banish all other cards from both players' hands, fields, and Graveyards. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

And pendulums!

Schubalts posted:

Well there's always Kuriboh-style effects that play from that hand.
The catch is surviving it, then the card is pretty much just a normal card.

Well unless the person who summoned it used Djinn of Rituals...

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Well, you could get rid of her with a Bottomless Trap Hole or a Torrential Tribute before her effect triggers, or something to negate her effect like Breakthrough Skill. If you don't have that though, you're going to have to take the hit.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Almost forgot about those negations. Good to see that Bottomless Trap Hole still lives on.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Mind you, this was the original version of the card

What the hell, Konami.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ocassionally I get the urge to relive my youth where everything I watched on TV existed to sell me cards and toys. So where the hell are you all even following this, anyway? Does Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll carry the subtitled version or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

I'm sorry, I lied, I know what syncros are from osmosis, however I will complain about every effect monster apparently needing to have Thousand Eyes Restrict size text.