Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Lord Frisk posted:

If you wait for a sale, you can buy CoB for like $20. Don't bite the bullet just yet.

Also, post a link when you make that soundtrack. I love a good soundtrack for games. We played Eclipse with the OSTs for the Star Trek movies in the background.

It is on sale already, at £19, which in US terms is like $19. I've never seen it lower in Europe.

I'll be sure to add the soundtrack here, hope some people will be into it. Challenge is to make it long enough to last a whole game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Echophonic posted:

So I picked up Roll for the Galaxy last night. And for once, a misprint was in the positive direction and I had a duplicate sheet of locations. The component quality is very nice, though, in true Race fashion, the rules are kind of opaque. I'll post more when I finally get to play it.

I'll be interested in hearing some other opinions on it. I want to give it another shot or two, since I was pretty hyped for this game, but I'm worried that the flaws I found won't disappear.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know how a Cold War soundtrack should be anything other than 80's music but to each their own :confused:

Because I, by and large, hate 80s music and am looking more for US v USSR anthems, or sneaky spy stuff. And avoiding songs that don't suit the mood but have a vaguely applicable title (anything by REM).

That YouTube list had some good ideas on it though.

No word of a lie, I've played Pandemic to a revolving list of songs including Fever, Stayin' Alive, and Dr Jones by...the Cartoons.

Edit: and Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Look if your Twilight Struggle music doesn't have Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner it is objectively wrong.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Spartacus was on sale for $20 at my FLGS so I picked it up tell me I was right

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 23, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
there is literally only 1 accepted twilight struggle soundtrack, and it's this song on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

T-Bone posted:

At that price, you'd be stupid not to. It's not a well balanced game and it has loads of issues, but by god does it evoke the theme and provide entertainment.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

T-Bone posted:

It's Ameritrash as all hell and if you're into the theme you'll have a good time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Broken Loose posted:

there is literally only 1 accepted twilight struggle soundtrack, and it's this song on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPTC7-wCL8

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Excellent. Is the expansion worth getting? Cause they have that cheap too.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

T-Bone posted:

Excellent. Is the expansion worth getting? Cause they have that cheap too.

If you want to play with more than 4, yes. Otherwise, not really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

Also, post a link when you make that soundtrack. I love a good soundtrack for games. We played Eclipse with the OSTs for the Star Trek movies in the background.

When you playing Yomi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYOgaK-93E

When you playing Tragedy Looper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnORxdWTGiA

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Add this to the playlist as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZmlUV8muY

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I played CS-Files while listening to the original Phoenix Wright soundtrack while playing it on my birthday. There's even a little silhouette of a dude on the side of the box that looks like he would be right at home in Phoenix Wright.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I said this on an earlier version of the thread but using Shining Force I and II incidental music for battles, etc, really worked well in Mice and Mystics. I just used like a sound board and let it go.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
When playing Cards Against Humanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0D9FJLIJhc

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mentally going back through 70s-90s music with special attention to the Cold War resonance is pretty fun. I wish "Let's Make a Cold War Soundtrack" wasn't such a digression for this thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Only one or two of the players would listen to that, everyone else would have 'Sad Trombone' on repeat.

This is the true soundtrack of Talisman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

homullus posted:

Mentally going back through 70s-90s music with special attention to the Cold War resonance is pretty fun. I wish "Let's Make a Cold War Soundtrack" wasn't such a digression for this thread.

Songs to go with you favorite game is on topic :colbert:

Lichtenstein posted:

When playing Cards Against Humanity

Cards Against Humanity's theme song must be by Wesley Willis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjjujau9hUw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rutibex posted:

This is the true soundtrack of Talisman:

When my friends and I play Can't Stop on BGA we always use the Asmodee mountain board and listen to this in synchtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfTEhUECaXk

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Cold War games actually need this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Big McHuge posted:

I'll be interested in hearing some other opinions on [Roll for the Galaxy]. I want to give it another shot or two, since I was pretty hyped for this game, but I'm worried that the flaws I found won't disappear.

I'll put in my two cents since I picked up the game from my FLGS a couple days ago.
Let me preface this: I have never played Race for the Galaxy

My group and I really, really liked this game. Getting through the rules was rough at first since it was symbol heavy. When we finally hacked through them the game made a lot of sense and flowed really well. The game is simplistic in execution which is something I appreciated. It is also relatively quick to play. Simultaneous turns go a LONG way in my group and make this game very enjoyable.

The biggest criticism I have seen for this game is that you roll dice behind the screen. This is seen a critical oversight. I do think this is intentional because there is a clause in the back of the rulebook which explicitly points this out and goes on the say, basically, that you have you "rely on your opponents to not make mistakes" (i.e. cheat). I do not think it is as big a deal as some make it out to be. Sure you can manipulate your rolls but you still can only assign one die to a role so you can still get screwed out of a phase. Overt cheating will also be painfully obvious. (You rolled 6 settlement dice? Again? uh huh). Even so, just don't play with cheaters.

Besides that, I do not have a strong criticism on other parts of the game. If anything, I find the player mats/phase sheets pretty flimsy.

Dice rolling is random obviously but the dice are weighted based on their color so there is still a lot of room for strategy. Milling through the tile bag using explore dice seems like a sound strategy, but so is focusing on producing/shipping since you can trigger game end by either having a 12 tile tableau or running out of VP chips.

I've only played a few games of it so I'm sure I'll discover new things as I play more so I may follow up with this. All in all I am very pleased with this game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

homullus posted:

You're right, take it to the wargame thread.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I know that people probably aren't playing Roll for the Galaxy with cheaters on purpose, but how many people become cheaters when presented with such an easy way to cheat?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also if you guys have Spotify someone actually made a Twilight Struggle playlist with a load of era appropriate songs and clips from historical speeches made through that era.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Impermanent posted:

I know that people probably aren't playing Roll for the Galaxy with cheaters on purpose, but how many people become cheaters when presented with such an easy way to cheat?

You're right the temptation is there. The point I'm trying to make is that I do not think that behind the screen cheating benefits the cheater is much as it seems. You still get the one role choice. This applies more to who I play with than anything else but cheating "correctly" in this game is actually kinda difficult. I don't think I can manipulate my rolls enough to make it worthwhile. Yet.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
There have been endless "don't game with this personality" arguments left and right, but ultimately a game that essentially allows a player unprecedented freedom with no way to enforce that they're actually obeying the rules is as close to demonstrably bad as you can get just on an objective level. Really, if the base defenses for the game are "cheating doesn't give you that much of an upside" and "you might get caught," then you're specifically going out of your way to ignore a huge problem.

Consider the following: Players who get lucky might get accused of cheating. Unlucky players might be encouraged to cheat to make the game playable. The game itself requires that you psychologically screen players because the game is unable to enforce its own ideas. There are a zillion bad things that creep out of the situation, all because the designers couldn't squeeze themselves out of a bad design concept (an even more random version of Race for the Galaxy, an already atrociously random game). Having rules that are enforceable is a basic requirement of any tabletop game. Even Munchkin got rid of its "you're allowed to cheat if you don't get caught" rule after a few versions.

I can think of at least 4 role-taking games better than Roll for the Galaxy, including Race for the Galaxy. None of them require the honor system.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That makes the designer's decision to implement that mechanic even more baffling since the rulebook implies they were explicitly aware of what hidden rolling would enable.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

SettingSun posted:

That makes the designer's decision to implement that mechanic even more baffling since the rulebook implies they were explicitly aware of what hidden rolling would enable.

Exactly. Well, yes and no. It's perfectly logical to assume an amateur designer wouldn't scrap a fundamentally broken game if they were dumb enough, but it makes no sense how such a game made it to print. A better mind would have just moved on with their life and maybe used some of the cooler mechanics in a later, better game.

In a just world, the game makes no loving sense.

In Oatmeal Cat Game Makes $3,000,000+ world, it's par for the course.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 23, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is the rolling behind the screen RollFTG's version of the other players not knowing what cards are in your hand?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

You're right the temptation is there. The point I'm trying to make is that I do not think that behind the screen cheating benefits the cheater is much as it seems

I think it's a negative when a game allows for hidable cheating.. but I'm less worried here as the cheating would have to be real brazen. You can't just be like, "oh, I didn't notice I'd already built one of those" or something. It's not omission or peeking at something you shouldn't have seen or whatever - it's straight up, "Here it is, I'm cheating now, I'm just going to lie to these people and say blue is yellow" or "I'm going to change the result on this die to be something better for me" - and while it isn't caught by default, it would be very possible to catch, and very embarrassing if you were caught. So much so that I don't think many people would do it.

I think it's worse to have a game where, while cheating is technically visible, it requires everyone's attention to avoid (and you might suspect someone is accidentally on-purpose screwing things up). I think these games have more potential for cheating and hard feelings, even in a group where everyone's honest.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Even Dominion has unverifiable bits: I Throne room a Throne Room, copy Moat, then find I only have Rats as an action so claim I have no action, the Rats are hidden in the discard pile at end of turn and cannot be viewed by players. DXV realised that was a problem, so later cards like King's Court are intentionally optional to avoid that.

One Night Werewolf has bigger problems with this, whenever you awaken alone at night there is a lot of cheating possible.

I feel like it's not hard to throw dice behind the screen such that people know you're rolling them though?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can kinda see why you'd keep the dice hidden, since 1. it's how you select phases and 2. the other players' dice positions would give big hints as to what phase they chose even if you keep the chosen phase secret. Since, like Race, one of the major elements of the game is trying to figure out what roles people chose and planning accordingly, it's clear why they can't just leave everything open knowledge, since it'd take out a lot of the strategy for the game. Leaving an opening for cheating is bad game design, but it's also something that won't happen that often anyway, so it's something I'm fine overlooking since I'm lucky enough to play with a variety of people who don't intentionally cheat.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't argue that the hidden rolling mechanic isn't terrible, because it totally is. It it a huge black spot on an otherwise solid game.
The game is still very addicting to me. I'm still theorycrafting strategies and an eager to play again. It feels like a frantic race to the finish the whole time, which exhilarates me.
I would still recommend it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I really like Roll. It feels like there's more randomness than Race, but also a higher skill ceiling, as the potential reward for taking advantage of opponents phase choices is much higher than in Race. The dice pool building is really interesting as well, it forces you to plan ahead because picking up certain types of dice enables some strategies but restricts others by denying you dice with certain symbols. I wouldn't recommend Roll over Race to anyone who hasn't played Race, but if you like Race and you've played it to the point where you know all the cards, I'd definitely recommend Roll.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know how a Cold War soundtrack should be anything other than 80's music but to each their own :confused:

The other day the music I had put on stopped right before I was going to play a scoring card to win as USSR in Twilight Struggle, so I got up and put on the Internationale. My life is all downhill from here

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

In Oatmeal Cat Game Makes $3,000,000+ world, it's par for the course.

The thought I might sit down at a game night somewhere and someone will pull out Exploding Kittens is horrifying. It's like Munchkin from hell

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Everyone's favourite games reviewers put up a video of them playing everyone's favourite game!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

On the subject of licensed filler card games, is Legendary Showdown any good, or is it essentially Munchkin: Dr McNinja edition?

Apparently they're working on a second edition featuring Girl Genius and Gunnerkrig Court, I'm tempted to back it as a gift for a friend who's a fan of both those comics but I don't want to buy them a bad game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The thought I might sit down at a game night somewhere and someone will pull out Exploding Kittens is horrifying. It's like Munchkin from hell

Nah, if there's one good thing about the cat game its that it actually ends.

For once player elimination might be a boon too, just get yourself killed early and go do something better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
3.5 million, I just peeked. Amazing. Talk about runaway success, right place, right time, etc. :allears: