Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Sollux and Mituna have the worst quirks by far because there were times I had no clue what was even being said. The others were annoying but somewhat readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Damara's typing quirk was a little weird

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

lotus circle posted:

Sollux and Mituna have the worst quirks by far because there were times I had no clue what was even being said. The others were annoying but somewhat readable.

Sollux' isn't so bad. Mituna's is loving awful.

Damara's isn't so bad with Google Translate but then I immediately regret translating it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The main thing is that once you get past the trolls' backstory, the ones with the most painful quirks become irrelevant.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

The main thing is that once you get past the trolls' backstory, the ones with the most painful quirks become irrelevant.

I dunno, Gamzee was pretty relevant.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Yeah and his becoming relevant coincides with his quirk becoming infinitely more readable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They'll pretty much all stop being weird and start looking like normal text once you've been with him for a while. Even Karkat stops reading like he's shouting.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Even Karkat stops reading like he's shouting.

This never happened for me at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wasn't there a Firefox/Chrome addon out there that just makes troll quirks look like normal text? What happened to that?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Wasn't there a Firefox/Chrome addon out there that just makes troll quirks look like normal text? What happened to that?

It found a textblock of Mituna talking to Latula and exploded.

(Although I don't find Latula or Terezi's quirk TOO awful grating. Hussie even pokes fun at once or twice when someones not sure if she said A or Four, or something of that nature)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mituna is the only hard one(heavy quirk plus spelling things wrong plus occasional gibberish), everyone else is just weird internet speak. I wonder what younger readers think about that stuff, l33t isn't really in vogue online anymore so it's kind of a weird thing for them to see, no real context for it other than 'wow these grey people type funny!'. I see some screennames in FPS games use that kind of spelling but nothing else anymore, really.

It's kind of interesting how Homestuck pulls these aspects of internet communication, sub-cultures, and friendships all together from a few different generations of teenagers-on-the-internet and turns them into characters interacting with one another. The really early stuff seems like it's all pulling from the 90s/2000s internet experience and that was one of the things that kind of hooked me initially about Homestuck. I feel like that's one of the things that's been emphasized less as the story's gone on, though there was a bit of a resurgence when they hit the dancestor introduction stuff a little while back and it pulled tumblr, 4chan, and memes into things briefly. Sort of a nice way to go "hey, there's some younger people interested in this too and their online experiences are a little different so here's some of that". I think the only thing they haven't really hit is Skype and Youtube, though I can understand why a comic without voiceover stuff wouldn't want to dive into video-based content like that.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

I'm more impressed that one of the most awful internet archetypes (the all-caps angry rants that go nowhere) belongs to one of the best characters in the comic.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Mituna is the only hard one(heavy quirk plus spelling things wrong plus occasional gibberish), everyone else is just weird internet speak. I wonder what younger readers think about that stuff, l33t isn't really in vogue online anymore so it's kind of a weird thing for them to see, no real context for it other than 'wow these grey people type funny!'. I see some screennames in FPS games use that kind of spelling but nothing else anymore, really.

It's kind of interesting how Homestuck pulls these aspects of internet communication, sub-cultures, and friendships all together from a few different generations of teenagers-on-the-internet and turns them into characters interacting with one another. The really early stuff seems like it's all pulling from the 90s/2000s internet experience and that was one of the things that kind of hooked me initially about Homestuck. I feel like that's one of the things that's been emphasized less as the story's gone on, though there was a bit of a resurgence when they hit the dancestor introduction stuff a little while back and it pulled tumblr, 4chan, and memes into things briefly. Sort of a nice way to go "hey, there's some younger people interested in this too and their online experiences are a little different so here's some of that". I think the only thing they haven't really hit is Skype and Youtube, though I can understand why a comic without voiceover stuff wouldn't want to dive into video-based content like that.

Well, we've had a couple of plot significant YouTube videos (Gamzee seeing Miracles, Vriska seeing the end of Con Air).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rincewind posted:

Well, we've had a couple of plot significant YouTube videos (Gamzee seeing Miracles, Vriska seeing the end of Con Air).

Yeah but they haven't interacted with youtube or trolltube or whatever, just shared things from it. It's just a noticable 'internet person type' gap, there's no troll who's thing was making videos for a youtube or vine style thing.

Not that I'm saying there should be, it doesn't really jive with the comic's format and it would be a weirdly large amount of work for basically no purpose. But maybe we'll see something like that in the adventure game, since it's going to be 3D animation stuff anyway.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

They'll pretty much all stop being weird and start looking like normal text once you've been with him for a while. Even Karkat stops reading like he's shouting.

Which is a lie.

Karkat is always shouting forever.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Classtoise posted:

I'm more impressed that one of the most awful internet archetypes (the all-caps angry rants that go nowhere) belongs to one of the best characters in the comic.

Hussie's been all about redeeming the worst of internet archetypes. When we got our first glimpse of Equius Hussie declared "And now, to make you love him!", and find me a respectable poster who don't love him some Equius.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The scene where Equius raps at Dave is one of the best moments in all of Homestuck.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Karkat is always shouting forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7FWIRUEaA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even videos that utilize audio from other existing videos use the Terezi voice we all expect from her, it may as well be canon now

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Even videos that utilize audio from other existing videos use the Terezi voice we all expect from her, it may as well be canon now

I cannot imagine Terezi without the borderline raspy/nasally voice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah but they haven't interacted with youtube or trolltube or whatever, just shared things from it. It's just a noticable 'internet person type' gap, there's no troll who's thing was making videos for a youtube or vine style thing.

As well as the practical authorial reason you said, there's also the fact that that kind of person would be hilariously likely to get murdered by their meteor because they were too busy loving around and posting evidence of this to their blog. (like the gamefaqs kid, but way less helpful)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yessssss

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dolash posted:

Hussie's been all about redeeming the worst of internet archetypes. When we got our first glimpse of Equius Hussie declared "And now, to make you love him!", and find me a respectable poster who don't love him some Equius.

I hate Equius. The constant references to sweating creep me out. Feel free to make the "no true Scotsman" argument that hating Equius automatically makes me disrespectable.

Edit: Removed leet-speak for fear it would be taken as serious rather than as quoting Vriska.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hate Equius. The constant references to sweating creep me out. Feel free to make the "no true Scotsman" argument that hating Equius automatically makes me disrespectable.

Edit: Removed leet-speak for fear it would be taken as serious rather than as quoting Vriska.

Vriska is the worst character :smugbert:

E: Well.

Maybe Tavros.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Classtoise posted:

I actually kind of like her. She's Phycho and ruins everything, like the ultimate Munchkin. But she's got a lot of character and a cool design.

My opinion may still change, i'm only just past Jade entering and John ascending.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I actually kind of like her. She's Phycho and ruins everything, like the ultimate Munchkin. But she's got a lot of character and a cool design.

My opinion may still change, i'm only just past Jade entering and John ascending.

I won't spoil anything, but I liked Vriska at this point too.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Spoiler: Vriska is the loving best.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Classtoise posted:

E: Well.

Maybe Tavros.

Damara.
Kankri.
So many choices on Beforus.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Y'all are talking about the second worst character, right? Because the worst character is objectively Cronus.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

Y'all are talking about the second worst character, right? Because the worst character is objectively Cronus.

Yeah but we don't even need to mention him

That's the default bad one, without any opinion needed. It's just a fact. It's like saying I breathe air. No duh.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

aside from meenah and areana i wouldn't even really count the beforus trolls as characters

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

aside from meenah and areana i wouldn't even really count the beforus trolls as characters

Yeah, they're slightly more elaborate one-off gags.

Think of Trolls like Cronus as pre-cancellation Herbert from Family Guy. Just a gag, not intended for character arcs or anything, because that would just poo poo on the joke.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. Spending any time with any of the Beforus trolls (okay, except Meenah and Aranea) reveals that they are actually, literally made of cardboard. I assume that Damara's being kept captive by Doc Scratch is going to pay off at some time and maybe she'll become interesting then.

Also:

quote:

TG: so are you just as brain damaged as we are
GA: Whos We
TG: me and karkat
GA: Of Course Not
GA: But If Youre Referring To The Short Term Memory Loss We All Seem To Be Experiencing Yes Ive Got That Too

Kanaya status: Continues to rule.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I assume that Damara's being kept captive by Doc Scratch is going to pay off at some time and maybe she'll become interesting then.

That was post-scratch Damara, technically Aradia's ancestor although her meteor arrived long after the other trolls were gone. She was empowered by Lord English, went back in time, and was responsible for molding Alternian society into a hellish dystopia. After the Vast Glub she stuck around until the Condesce returned. The Condesce killed her and took her place as Lord English's servant.

Spoilered since there's a new reader around

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And there's 3 months of this kinda chat still to go in this thread?

Hussie is clearly the best troll.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

(spoiler deleted)

Oh, my God, I'm so confused.

Another typical moment for a Homestuck reader.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

That was post-scratch Damara, technically Aradia's ancestor although her meteor arrived long after the other trolls were gone. She was empowered by Lord English, went back in time, and was responsible for molding Alternian society into a hellish dystopia. After the Vast Glub she stuck around until the Condesce returned. The Condesce killed her and took her place as Lord English's servant.

Spoilered since there's a new reader around

I remember thinking at the time that there was some ambiguity or another in Scratch's lecture to her that suggested that some kind of Parent Trap twin switch could have happened, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was, and I really doubt Hussie's got any detours into dancestor country planned. I mean, we're coming up on the Final Final Acts; surely there must be a limit to how much he can meander, right? I figure once we've seen the payoff to Kurloz's machinations, that'll be it for the non-Meenah dancestors. I'd honestly be a little surprised if we even heard from Aranea after this.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Note to Self posted:

I remember thinking at the time that there was some ambiguity or another in Scratch's lecture to her that suggested that some kind of Parent Trap twin switch could have happened, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was, and I really doubt Hussie's got any detours into dancestor country planned. I mean, we're coming up on the Final Final Acts; surely there must be a limit to how much he can meander, right? I figure once we've seen the payoff to Kurloz's machinations, that'll be it for the non-Meenah dancestors. I'd honestly be a little surprised if we even heard from Aranea after this.

The ambiguity was a result of the fact that, while all the dancestor grubs had been sent back in time to their appropriate eras, the Damara we saw arrived late, which is to say, just after Alternia had been ruined by the Vast Glub. Therefore she's technically younger than Aradia, despite being her ancestor, but still fulfilled that role because as LE's envoy she traveled back in time from the end of the universe to wreck poo poo.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Actually, the story isn't really specific on which set of trolls is cloned from itself and which is genetically derived from the other. I'm inclined to think Karkat and his group are the "parents" of the others, because his ectobiology machine would have focused on the Empress and a bunch of other weirdos from throughout history, and Karkat's confusion at that would be noted in the narration of this page told in his point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Keep us up to date. (Not sarcasm. I enjoy hearing new reader reactions)