Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of Red Devotion decks, Huey had an amusing version of Big Red with FRF stuff in it. Granted, there's no way its going to be actually good (Prophetic Flamespeaker with nothing to buff it at all?), but that doesn't mean its not worth trying. :getin:

Too bad Boros Reckoner isn't around.

quote:

Lands

4 x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
21 x Mountain

Creatures

4 x Mardu Scout
4 x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 x Fanatic of Mogis
4 x Stormbreath Dragon
3 x Ashcloud Phoenix
4 x Flamewake Phoenix
2 x Prophetic Flamespeaker

Noncreature Spells

4 x Crater's Claws
2 x Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker
4 x Lightning Strike

Sideboard

2 x Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 x Hammer of Purphoros
2 x Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker
4 x Wild Slash
3 x Anger of the Gods
2 x Chandra, Pyromaster

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

If someone dropped Warden, I'd probably be happy given the amount of removal in Standard. If someone wants to put stupid amounts of mana into a dude that just gets Struck, Stoked or Downfalled when it finally becomes a threat, that's fine by me.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on it for Constructed where relatively cheap removal is actually a thing that exists and a 3/3 lifelink trample for 1 + 2 + 4 mana just isn't that threatening. It bounces off Courser, dies to Siege Rhino, and by the time you get to 6 mana your opponent can just Downfall / Murderous Cut / Valorous Stance / Stoke it in response. And all of those except Stoke work even if you do manage to turn it on while they're tapped out. It's just way too much mana to invest into something that ultimately just trades for a removal spell, after maybe gaining you 3 life and hitting your opponent for 3. But you paid 7 mana for that, compared to 4 for siege rhino.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

I think you want to play Hordecheif with tokens...

Yeah, you probably do, but that doesn't mean it can't be good in other decks. I think in Abzan Aggro sometimes it can just be virtual Siege Rhino 5-6, and other times it can answer your opponent's Elspeth or Hornet Queen.

Edit: I got the idea from PVDDR's recent article on ChannelFireball, and I like his thinking, even if I don't agree with the removal suite.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/updating-the-best-standard-decks-with-fate-reforged/

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 23, 2015

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

If this is a good deck it should win before Elspeth is relevant. You're not gonna out midrange Abzan decks with tokens.

That's the point of Purph and Hordechief. The reach means you don't have to swing through midrange.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

That's the point of Purph and Hordechief. The reach means you don't have to swing through midrange.

Hordechief yes, Purpherous no. That card is bad in a non devotion shell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on it for Constructed where relatively cheap removal is actually a thing that exists and a 3/3 lifelink trample for 1 + 2 + 4 mana just isn't that threatening. It bounces off Courser, dies to Siege Rhino, and by the time you get to 6 mana your opponent can just Downfall / Murderous Cut / Valorous Stance / Stoke it in response. And all of those except Stoke work even if you do manage to turn it on while they're tapped out. It's just way too much mana to invest into something that ultimately just trades for a removal spell, after maybe gaining you 3 life and hitting your opponent for 3. But you paid 7 mana for that, compared to 4 for siege rhino.

I think its just worse than Fleecemane Lion or Deathdealer, really. The only thing it does those cards don't is swing for 3 on turn 2. Both of those cards have relevant protection from dying even if they cost mana to use.

mcmagic posted:

Hordechief yes, Purpherous no. That card is bad in a non devotion shell.

Purphoros isn't particularly good in anything, I think. Even if a red devotion shell, there aren't any cards around it which you'd particularly want Purphoros for. Hordeling Outburst triggers the damage, but doesn't give you any devotion towards using the other half of the card and Big Red doesn't really otherwise support the kind of token-spewing strategy you'd need to make Purphoros first ability good enough to see play without any possibility of the second being used.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If you're really trying for some sort of purphoros effects you can probably get a better result with Jeskai Ascendancy which also has the nice little bonus of letting you basically kill someone from a nearly empty board by cycling through your deck until they die.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What was figure of destiny like in standard? I wasn't playing then.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

A nightmare

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I initially ran Purph in my MarduKing deck, but he ended up either being too slow or win more (Tymaret/Bloodsoaked Champion recursion is a beating). He got replaced with Stoke and Chandra.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

Sort-of answer: you often had to hurl wrath effects at the opponent's 1play, which meant they still had a full hand.
Real answer: you were probably playing faeries anyway so you didn't actually care about figure

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Purphoros isn't particularly good in anything, I think. Even if a red devotion shell, there aren't any cards around it which you'd particularly want Purphoros for. Hordeling Outburst triggers the damage, but doesn't give you any devotion towards using the other half of the card and Big Red doesn't really otherwise support the kind of token-spewing strategy you'd need to make Purphoros first ability good enough to see play without any possibility of the second being used.

People always forget that purphoros has a 3rd ability and that it's actually pretty good with tokens.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Entropic posted:

People always forget that purphoros has a 3rd ability and that it's actually pretty good with tokens.

Which is why I was running him initially. The damage was just gravy, but his activated ability helps when you're going wide.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but Elspeth does a good enough job killing opponents on her own without needing help. A Purphoros deck is probably a mono-red deck that's pooping goblins.

hitting chandra's ultimate with a purph on deck and digging up triple hordeling outburst is living the dream

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

If you're mono Red and can turn him on pretty easily it's probably playable... But, yeah the fact that tokens don't give him devotion is pretty bad.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you're mono Red and can turn him on pretty easily it's probably playable... But, yeah the fact that tokens don't give him devotion is pretty bad.

Stupid newbie question but other than the large body what are the benefits to hitting the devotion given that creature removal is a lot more prevalent than enchantment removal?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AceClown posted:

Stupid newbie question but other than the large body what are the benefits to hitting the devotion given that creature removal is a lot more prevalent than enchantment removal?

Well, they are indestructible, so creature removal doesn't mean much to Gods.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AceClown posted:

It's just a 6/5 indestructible for 4. They have to deal with it or die quickly.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Well, they are indestructible, so creature removal doesn't mean much to Gods.

Wait, so it's not an indestructible enchantment then? If that's true I need to have some harsh words with a friend of mine...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AceClown posted:

Wait, so it's not an indestructible enchantment then? If that's true I need to have some harsh words with a friend of mine...

It is an indestructible enchantment, and when you have the appropriate devotion, it is an indestructible enchantment creature.

NO matter your devotion, a Theros God has indestructible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AceClown posted:

It is. The only way to get rid of it is Sac or Exile effects.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When not in creature mode, the gods basically only die to Erase, Unravel the Aether or Utter End. With devotion active they only die to those plus Abzan Charm, Chained to the Rocks or Silence the Believers. Not much else that's actually played in Standard really touches them. There's a few sacrifice-a-creature effects but if your God is a creature you probably have another creature on board contributing to devotion that you could sacrifice instead.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 23, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wait, I somehow forgot Deicide. I think because no one bothers playing it now that we have Erase back and the one mana discount is more than worth the trade for the Extirpate effect.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Boxman posted:

If you want to be pedantic about it, continuity is already hosed. Because the dragons are still alive, the "modern" clans don't revere them, so Sarkhan was never obsessed with them, so he wouldn't have pledged his fealty to Bolas, so he wouldn't have been in the Eye on Zendikar. He winks out of Tarkir's past because of that paradox:

As with any time travel story, their best bet is to just say "don't worry about it too much, time travel doesn't make a lot of sense" and assert that everything outside of what is explicitly shown to be changed is the same. I assume they won't just be like "oh by the way because there are dragons on Tarkir the Eldrazi are still sealed."

What I hope they do is have sarkhan come out into the future to find his new timeline self as the Lieutenant to the dragon Khan of Mardragon, solemnly nod, then planeswalk away, resolving his silly story arc. If he gets a card, it will be some human warrior or shaman who supports dragon tribals, and possibly warrior tribal since that seems like a Mardu thing.

Warriors you control get +2/+2 and firebreathing if you control a dragon
Dragons you control get +1/+0 for each warrior you control.
Then maybe some way for Sarkhan to swap between being a dragon to guide his men, and being a warrior to support his khan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Wait, I somehow forgot Deicide. I think because no one bothers playing it now that we have Erase back and the one mana discount is more than worth the trade for the Extirpate effect.

The Extirpate that only applies to Gods that nobody plays, of course. Erase gets played because its a 1 mana removal for Coursers, Whips, Ascendancy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

The Extirpate that only applies to Gods that nobody plays, of course. Erase gets played because its a 1 mana removal for Coursers, Whips, Ascendancy.

Yeah, and for a while there it was really important to have a one mana instant answer to Jeskai Ascendancy.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Entropic posted:

Crackling doom would do it too

4x purphoros
2x chandra
2x elspeth
4x hordeling outburst
4x Raise the Alarm
3x monastary Master
2x Brimaz
3x Rabblemaster
4x lightning Strike
4x chained to the rocks
2x suspension field
2x banishing light

That's how I would play it, wouldn't worry about hitting the devotion too much

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

I use Purphoros in my Marath commander deck. Dropping an avenger of Zendikar and making 10 dudes then Swinging with Purph pump always catches people by surprise.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

Crackling doom would do it too

4x purphoros
2x chandra
2x elspeth
4x hordeling outburst
4x Raise the Alarm
3x monastary Master
2x Brimaz
3x Rabblemaster
4x lightning Strike
4x chained to the rocks
2x suspension field
2x banishing light

That's how I would play it, wouldn't worry about hitting the devotion too much

I'm not sure if there's a reason to play Suspension Field with Valorous Stance around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of Red Devotion decks, Huey had an amusing version of Big Red with FRF stuff in it. Granted, there's no way its going to be actually good (Prophetic Flamespeaker with nothing to buff it at all?), but that doesn't mean its not worth trying. :getin:
I'm gonna be playing an aggressive variant with Dragon Mantle, Titan's Strength, Shaman of the Great Hunt and Thunderous Might. I don't even give a poo poo if it's good, it features so many cards I love

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Show up early for FNM hoping to get a game or two of Standard in beforehand. No one has a deck including the kid who just opened two booster boxes and a fat pack. :(

The owner has some alt art prerelease packs left and is unsure how to distribute them. He's already opened an Ugin.

I'm hoping to draft tonight, but we'll probably end up just playing sealed with leftover prerelease boxes.

Sorry, that was a lot of complaining, but I feel better now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
For those of you still interested in the Tymaret, you can watch BBD "murder" CVM's U/B Control with a pretty sweet Mardu brew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWOpPQirzE

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I finally found one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm simultaneously proud and ashamed that I was able to remember that card's name after a few minutes of thought, despite neither the name nor any of its text being legible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm simultaneously proud and ashamed that I was able to remember that card's name after a few minutes of thought, despite neither the name nor any of its text being legible.

me too!

For the curious:
Cave Sense

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Several minutes!? It took literally less than a second for the name to pop into my head from the drat thumbnail. I should probably quit magic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Several minutes!? It took literally less than a second for the name to pop into my head from the drat thumbnail. I should probably quit magic.

You win at identifying crap MM commons, then. :v: The art rang a bell in my head almost instantly, but the name didn't come for a minute or two.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I was hoping the conversation would be about the misprint, but okay!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I feel like poop. I started scooping my lands (like just began making the motion) when I realized I had an out. I didn't declare anything but the opposing player didn't like the idea of continuing. After a few minutes if back and forth we did continue. I won the following turn. The person was obviously upset and since they had a ultimately agreed to continue the game (though v. begrudgingly) I said we should count the game as a draw. I won the second game and was favorite to win the third after time was called.

I don't really care about the tie in the end, but I felt bad about the whole argument. I just didn't feel like I was in wrong though I could understand my opponent's anger.

I need to really learn to take a second to think a second before making important decisions on impulse - it's bit me in the rear end many times before - even if in this case I caught me tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

If you never verbalized your concession, and all you did was make a move towards your lands, you did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread