Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

After we're done with Phandelver, I'm debating with myself whether to bother with FR or just have them fall into a portal into a better setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All doors lead to Sigil.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

Isn't this how DCC does it? Makes WAY more sense.

DCC nothing, that's how OD&D did it.

quote:

Character Alignment, Including Various Monsters and Creatures: Before the game begins it is not only necessary to select a role, but it is also necessary to determine what stance the character will take - Law, Neutrality, or Chaos.

But it doesn't actually say that Alignment means anything with regards to behavior.

quote:

LANGUAGES: The "common tongue" spoken throughout the "continent" is known by most humans. All other creatures and monsters which can speak have their own language, although some (20%) also know the common one. Law, Chaos and Neutrality also have common languages spoken by each respectively. One can attempt to communicate through the common tongue, language particular to a creature class, or one of the divisional languages (law, etc.). While not understanding the language, creatures who speak a divisional tongue will recognize a hostile one and attack. Characters with an Intelligence above 10 may learn additional languages, one language for every point above 10 intelligence factors. Thus, a man with an intelligence level of 15 could speak 7 languages, i.e. the common tongue, his divisional language, and 5 creature languages. Of course, Magic-Users spells and some magic items will enable the speaking and understanding of languages.

quote:

Monsters can be lured into service if they are of the same basic alignment as the player-character, or they can be Charmed and thus ordered to serve. Note, however, that the term "monster" includes men found in the dungeons, so in this way some high-level characters can be brought into a character's service, charisma allowing or through a Charm spell. Some reward must be offered to a monster in order to induce it into service (not just sparing its life, for example). The monster will react, with appropriate pluses or minuses, according to the offer, the referee rolling two six-sided dice and adjusting for charisma:

quote:

SWORDS: Among magic weaponry swords alone possess certain human (and superhuman) attributes, Swords have an alignment (Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic), an Intelligence factor, and an egoism rating (as well as an optional determination of their origin/purpose).
If a character picks up a sword which is not of the same alignment as he, damage will be taken

So yeah, alignment never really meant anything besides "if you're the same alignment as a monster, you speak the same language, and thus could potentially negotiate". It was only at some later point that it started to imply that you needed to live up to a certain mode of behavior.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So yeah, alignment never really meant anything besides "if you're the same alignment as a monster, you speak the same language, and thus could potentially negotiate". It was only at some later point that it started to imply that you needed to live up to a certain mode of behavior.

Oh hey, here's an interesting fact I ran into a month or two ago on the subject of alignments and living up to certain modes of behavior:

Matt Sheridan on RPGnet posted:

In case anybody's still wondering, Gary talked about adding Good and Evil to the alignment system way back in The Strategic Review Volume 2, Issue 1 (February 1976), even going so far as to include a couple familiar-looking four-directional charts.

Interestingly, the first chart actually includes eight Outer Planes at the appropriate poles. The text addresses them only with this strange comment: "The player-character who continually follows any alignment (save neutrality) to the absolute letter of its definition must eventually move off the chart (Illustration I) and into another plane of existence as indicated." I read this as saying that, if you're too Lawful Good, you will become a saint and transcend to Heaven (and presumably stop being a playable character), but I could definitely be wrong.

[source]

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I remember someone in the retroclone thread posting that chart. As you can see thieves are true neutral. Much like pixies. Or zombies.

I think the idea of transcending to an alternate plane based on alignment would be more interesting if gary had used the elemental planes though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm somewhat curious about how large a percentage of D&D games simply house rule alignment out of existence for all practical purposes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gradenko_2000 posted:

When 4e took alignment back to its "team good / team evil" roots instead of the bullshit psychology personality test it had evolved into, the wailing of nerds was doubly hilarious.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
5E making alignment mechanically irrelevant for most purposes is a good step. I mean, yes, nine-point alignment is still back, but spells like Detect Good and Evil doesn't detect alignments any more, just outsiders from good and evil planes which I'm considerably more willing to tolerate. On the other hand, it probably makes the game even more confusing for people new to D&D, who are asked to choose an alignment for their character despite not understanding the system, its relevance, or what it actually does or means.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Boing posted:

On the other hand, it probably makes the game even more confusing for people new to D&D, who are asked to choose an alignment for their character despite not understanding the system, its relevance, or what it actually does or means.

Well, neither does WotC

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It determines whether you can equip the good white sword or the evil black one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

Law, Chaos and Neutrality also have common languages spoken by each respectively.
The language of law?

Maths

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also the language of chaos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

4th Edition posted:

If you choose an alignment, you’re indicating your character’s dedication to a set of moral principles: good, lawful good, evil, or chaotic evil. In a cosmic sense, it’s the team you believe in and fight for most strongly.

Alignments are tied to universal forces bigger than deities or any other allegiance you might have. If you’re a high-level cleric with a lawful good alignment, you’re on the same team as Bahamut, regardless of whether you worship that deity. Bahamut is not in any sense the captain of your team, just a particularly important player (who has a large number of supporters). Most people in the world, and plenty of player characters, haven’t signed up to play on any team—they’re unaligned. Picking and adhering to an alignment represents a distinct choice.

If you choose an alignment for your character, you should pick either good or lawful good. Unless your DM is running a campaign in which all the characters are evil or chaotic evil, playing an evil or chaotic evil character disrupts an adventuring party and, frankly, makes all the other players angry at you.

5th Edition posted:

A typical creature in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons has an alignment, which broadly describes its moral and personal attitudes. Alignment is a combination o f two factors: one identifies morality (good, evil, or neutral), and the other describes attitudes toward society and order (lawful, chaotic, or neutral). Thus, nine distinct alignments define the possible combinations.

These brief summaries of the nine alignments describe the typical behavior of a creature with that alignment. Individuals might vary significantly from that typical behavior, and few people are perfectly and consistently faithful to the precepts of their alignment.

For many thinking creatures, alignment is a moral choice. Humans, dwarves, elves, and other humanoid races can choose whether to follow the paths of good or evil, law or chaos. According to myth, the good-aligned gods who created these races gave them free will to choose their moral paths, knowing that good without free will is slavery.

The evil deities who created other races, though, made those races to serve them. Those races have strong inborn tendencies that match the nature of their gods. Most orcs share the violent, savage nature of the orc god, Gruumsh, and are thus inclined toward evil. Even if an orc chooses a good alignment, it struggles against its innate tendencies for its entire life. (Even half-orcs feel the lingering pull of the orc god’s influence.)

Alignment is an essential part of the nature of celestials and fiends. A devil does not choose to be lawful evil, and it doesn’t tend toward lawful evil, but rather it is lawful evil in its essence. If it somehow ceased to be lawful evil, it would cease to be a devil.

Most creatures that lack the capacity for rational thought do not have alignments—they are unaligned. Such a creature is incapable of making a moral or ethical choice and acts according to its bestial nature. Sharks are savage predators, for example, but they are not evil; they have no alignment.

I mean, it's nice that they threw in a bit about how "you're probably never going to be able to be Lawful Evil to the letter", but the prior description of alignments it is just so much more practical, and that stuff about "always evil Orcs" is just straight-up grog.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, it's nice that they threw in a bit about how "you're probably never going to be able to be Lawful Evil to the letter", but the prior description of alignments it is just so much more practical, and that stuff about "always evil Orcs" is just straight-up grog.

It's not all that grog. If the orcs in that setting were engineered from the ground up to be motherfuckers, then they are just motherfuckers.

I think if a DM is gonna run orcs with shades of gray, it's not that difficult to say, "Orcs are a violent warrior culture, but they're not worse than, say, Germany 300 years ago or if you took away electric power and cars from Texas for like a year" and then give them a capital city.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Alignment seems like the poster child for a mechanic that should have been a DMG module. That way you could have OD&D Law vs. Chaos, AD&D 9 point alignment, in-game factional allegiances, etc. all available for people to choose from. There's no reason to bake it into the baseline game aside from nostalgia.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I like how alignment is core, but flanking is optional.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It removes a lot of the moral dilemmas that can get in the way of more killing and XP accumulation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some news coming from WOTC

* Warforged and Kender races to be released via online articles
* material that was slated to be on the Adventurer's Guide will be split up between a free PDF download and the Princes of the Apocalypse book
* errata documents for the main books are slated for release by "before the spring"
* "Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I spend roughly five seconds thinking about a character's alignment, since it has almost no purpose in the game system and can't be rationally explained as a mechanic even if it did. 4E only gently encourages you to take a side, so to speak, by walling off some themes/paragon paths/epic destinies, some of which are even worth considering, behind alignments.

I don't think my friends can tell the difference between my lawful good and chaotic evil characters, but generally it's "lawful good likes the sociopolitical situation D&D is in and will kill people to uphold it. Chaotic evil will kill people to tear it down." Even in 4E there's too many alignments, there's no useful distinction between Chaotic Evil and Evil. Now that we're back to the nine-point system it's all a wash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

* "Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds."

What an odd way of saying "no".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

What an odd way of saying "no".

No, you see, this makes my Sliders campaign DOUBLE CANON

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Every color is my favorite color.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't think my friends can tell the difference between my lawful good and chaotic evil characters, but generally it's "lawful good likes the sociopolitical situation D&D is in and will kill people to uphold it.
Sounds pretty evil considering the awful settings D&D takes place in

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

dwarf74 posted:

Every color is my favorite color.

My favourite color is the visible spectrum. gently caress ultraviolet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some news coming from WOTC

* Warforged and Kender races to be released via online articles
* material that was slated to be on the Adventurer's Guide will be split up between a free PDF download and the Princes of the Apocalypse book
* errata documents for the main books are slated for release by "before the spring"

You forgot to post that their publishing schedule was severely strained by somebody on the team getting jury duty.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

For gently caress's sake, why. Who wants this.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Peas and Rice posted:

Evil men, Peas. Evil men from a dimension of pure evil.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That guy who starts every new campaign trying to pickpocket the rest of the party.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Peas and Rice posted:

I can point you toward like three different people I went to high school with, and one guy from college :smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

goatface posted:

Also the language of chaos.
Dark Maths

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

You forgot to post that their publishing schedule was severely strained by somebody on the team getting jury duty.

I honestly thought that was a joke.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Fortunately, he was quickly disqualified when he answered all questions by shrugging and saying, "That's up to the judge."

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Selachian posted:

Fortunately, he was quickly disqualified when he answered all questions by shrugging and saying, "That's up to the judge."
I dunno if Ettin allows emptyquoting here now, so I typed this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I hadn't actually heard about this, link?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are you goddamn serious.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Are you goddamn serious.

You can always have one writer cover another writer's stuff. If you lost your layout person for a month, though, that could really mess things up.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

Rulings, not rules!

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Remember back in 2012 when Ryan Dancey posted that bullshit about D&D needing to be a core brand that made $50 million a year? I thought he was full of poo poo, but . . .

Ryan goddam Dancey of all loving people posted:

Best case would have been a very small staff dedicated to just managing the brand and maybe handling some freelance pool doing minimal adventure content.

Maybe he was on to something.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How the hell is that "best case" for the brand? "Yeah we basically don't do poo poo" is great for getting a paycheck when you're a lazy piece of poo poo but you don't say that in public for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Hey, it worked for White Wolf and their World of Darkness publishing model.

wait