Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Thank you, that's helped a ton.

For the record, I sort of think this kit is awful. Well, not the kit itself, that seems fine, but the lack of directions. The box says "You don't have to read!" which is really just a translation for "we're loving lazy!"

They have photos for the steps, but they're not terribly clear as to how to get parts to fit. Fortunately for me, I have years of experience with other types of models, so I know to test fit every single part before even gluing a thing, and it's proved useful. If I were 10, as the box suggests, I would have thrown this away already.

That's unfortunate, if not a huge surprise to me given the few pictures I could see of it and the quality of the instructions in the Carmen kit. On the other hand, the Carmen built into quite a lovely little ship, and as these kits go, was fairly cheap.

Colonial Air Force posted:

E: Just broke the starboard bulwark. :(

One thing about these kits to always remember - "It's only wood!".

Every single piece can be glued or just remade out of another piece of wood. I've remade some pieces 4 or 5 times until I got them right. If there isn't any spare wood large enough in the kit, you can run down to your local hobby shop and buy a sheet of the appropriate thickness basswood for a few bucks, and use the broken piece as a pattern for a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I made a thing. First attempt at any sort of time-lapse stuff, and I didn't get the positioning exact between shots, and I'm far too lazy to properly crop this and do positioning in post. :)

It has music just for fill, you won't miss anything if you mute it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqE9S72i8Uc

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Arquinsiel posted:

Great result. Can't wait to see what you do next.

I decided to try something a little different from the usual Western grey jets and picked up the Acadamy 1:48 SU-27 kit just to try something Russian. I've since watched few documentaries and read a few books (as you do with a new kit) and have fallen in love with the plane.

I mean is this not the sexiest shape?

I decided to try a three colour sharp edge splinter scheme which meant more masking and a more in depth colour order then a I had ever done before.

Blue plane:

First mask and dark grey cammo:

One of the things I found hard was trying to keep the panel shading through out the various layers:

Ready for the lighter blue layer:

Last base coats and the thing looking like a right loving mess. Up to this point I have no idea what this looks like or if anything has actually worked.

This is where I am at now. Details, edges and decals next. Then washes and final details.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

big_g posted:

I decided to try something a little different from the usual Western grey jets and picked up the Acadamy 1:48 SU-27 kit just to try something Russian.

That's pretty awesome work with the painting. I think it came out great.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's one awesome looking camo job. Well done!

Edit: drat autocorrect.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 18, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's one awesome looking camp job. Well done!

Darn spawn camping Russians. :v:

As my video posted yesterday shows, I hit a bit of a milestone in the ship build, and completed the 2nd layer of planking, which I'm fairly happy with.

Here are some regular photo's that show it after sanding, 2 coats of wipe-on Poly and some buffing.

The stern and bow shots show that there is a bit of finish sanding to do before I'm done, but I will do that after I've finished all the rest of the hull and deck work, and the build moves into the phase where it will always be on a stand and I won't be mucking up the hull finish anymore.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm working on a 688 class sub. Right now it's just flat black, but I want to put some sort of top coat on. Regular Future would be too glossy right?

For comparison, this is how a fresh coat of paint looks on one:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deeters posted:

I'm working on a 688 class sub. Right now it's just flat black, but I want to put some sort of top coat on. Regular Future would be too glossy right?

For comparison, this is how a fresh coat of paint looks on one:

You can supposedly mix Tamiya flat base with Future to make it a semi-gloss or flat coat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man that sub looks like it has a lovely mid 2000's bump-map on it or something. If that was a video game I'd say the textures need work, doesn't quite look realistic.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Would a Satin finish work, maybe?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I finished the hull (I think) by cutting in the sweep ports. What is a sweep port you ask? This sloop was a fairly small ship (just under 60' I think) and in that era most ships smaller than frigates (and even some frigates) had provisions to use oars (sweeps) to maneuver the ship in tight locations, or to make headway in calm wind. To use oars, they had to have holes in the bulwarks to extend the oars through - sweep ports.

I was dreading these, as they are drilled/cut through the already completely finished bulkheads. There is no real reasonable way to have these pre-cut, as they go through the outer planking, the inner bulwark planking, and 2 other layers of planking and bulkhead filler in between. There is no way that these 4 layers would all match up perfectly if pre-cut, so they have to be cut in after.

To do this I traced the side-view of the plans, cut that strip out and taped it to the ship, and used a sharp needle punch to mark the center of the middle of the ports after I masked both the inside and outside of the hull with masking tape to help prevent the outer layers from splintering. I then made a small jig out of brass sheet that had the center hole and the two ends of the sweep port. I used the jig to drill 3 holes at each port location. I then enlarged the middle hole to it's final size, and used an X-acto razor saw blade to connect the inside hole to both end holes. After that I removed the tape and enlarged the slots with a #10 X-acto blade.

I was sweating bullets every step of the way, expecting at any moment to completely wreck something.

I didn't get them perfect (some moreso than others), but when I realized that my continued efforts to improve them were probably beginning to do more harm than good, I called it done and painted.

Here is a close-up of two of the better sweep ports, and some general inside and outside side views. The center 'hole' of the port is 3/32" and the outer ends are 3/64", and the total length of each port is 1/4".

Now I start making deck furniture (hatches, coamings, scuttle port, companionway, etc.) and then I can do the deck planking. Woo!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's great work!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
drat that's nice. I've seen newly made wooden boats with worse finishes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sanguine posted:

drat that's nice. I've seen newly made wooden boats with worse finishes.

Ditto, this is looking great.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baronjutter posted:

Man that sub looks like it has a lovely mid 2000's bump-map on it or something. If that was a video game I'd say the textures need work, doesn't quite look realistic.

It's because they coat the entire hull in sonar absorbing polymers, the rubbery surface looks weird when you're expecting metal like a normal warship

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

The Locator posted:

I didn't get them perfect (some moreso than others), but when I realized that my continued efforts to improve them were probably beginning to do more harm than good, I called it done and painted.

These ships were bespoke when made, so getting them 'perfect' would probably not look right anyway. Your model looks like a ship built by master craftsman, so by that measure it is perfect.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Some of the Sheep posted:

These ships were bespoke when made, so getting them 'perfect' would probably not look right anyway. Your model looks like a ship built by master craftsman, so by that measure it is perfect.

Yeah, classes as we understand them today are a pretty laughable notion when every shipbuilder zealously guarded his secrets. Aside from the number of guns mounted, most ships in a rate were similar only in the broadest sense. poo poo, there are even subtle differences in modern ships of the same class, and I'm not talking about intentional amendments made to plans.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the old ships of the line were actually lopsided due to the imprecision of measuring instruments. I seem to recall reading something about how the construction of the Swedish ship Vasa featured several different linear measuring instruments, each with creative interpretations of what a set unit of measurment would be. I think one side extends further from the keel than the other.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fearless posted:

I seem to recall reading something about how the construction of the Swedish ship Vasa featured several different linear measuring instruments, each with creative interpretations of what a set unit of measurment would be. I think one side extends further from the keel than the other.
And it almost sailed a mile without sinking, too :allears:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 21, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pierzak posted:

Annd it almost sailed a mile without sinking, too :allears:

It's been a while since grad school, but apparently her builder had never attempted to build a ship of that magnitude and complexity before. She had stability issues from the get-go-- apparently, running 30 men from port to starboard a few times was enough to make her rock badly enough to cause fear of a capsize.

Anyways, that wooden ship under construction by The Locator is absolutely gorgeous and I love seeing periodic updates of its progress.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for all the compliments, I know it looks fine, but I am, and always will be, my own worst critic. Keep in mind that I'm a professional QA Analyst, so it's my job to find fault with things, and I'm pretty good at it!

When looked at from a reasonable viewing distance, it looks fine, but I'm working on it up close and magnified, so I'm overly critical of things I mess up at that small scale, and of course through the magic of a nice DSLR and cropping, I can share my faults with everyone!

On the subject of how badly the ships were made 'back in the day', I'm sure there was a lot of variation, but we are lucky enough to have a fair number of surviving examples (at least from the 18th century) to have a fair idea of what level of workmanship went into some of these ships. It was certainly variable depending on what yard built them, but the level of craftsmanship in the ships of that era was really quite amazing, which is why some still survive today.

Fearless is right in general, but there were notable examples where a fair number of different ships of the same 'class' were built to the same plans with what was, for the time, a remarkable degree of similarity*. There were no 'off the shelf' replacement parts, so minor variations between ships of a class really didn't matter, as repairs were made the same way the ships were, from base wood stock by carpenters.

*Off the top of my head, the Swan class frigates (England), the United States (Constitution) class frigates were all remarkably similar to other ships in the same class. I know there are more, but I'm terrible at remember names.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not my work but one of my N scale friend's. It's too crazy amazing not to keep sharing. Some of the best detailing work I've ever seen in n scale.

Hmm what's he making?

Oh just scratch buildin' a jack in N scale

Great rust job

No this isn't O scale, or even HO scale, it's N

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with N scale, the truck is about as big as your thumb.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's sick. It's like the paper Tiger dude :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's freaking amazing looking stuff. I bet his layout is pretty awesome to see in person.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I hope it's okay that I make little squealing noises whenever I see your stuff with anything that puts it in scale. Lookit the wee lil' jack that the wee lil' man is using to work on his wee lil' vintage truck :3: :3: :3:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That's awesome. That jack would be small as poo poo in HO, I have a hard time comprehending that level of detail in N scale.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The scale trains and tanks in this thread are awesome to see, but I am a plane guy at heart and I love to log in and see plane pictures posted. That is one awesome camo job and a great inspiration!

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Fearless posted:

Interestingly enough, a lot of the old ships of the line were actually lopsided due to the imprecision of measuring instruments. I seem to recall reading something about how the construction of the Swedish ship Vasa featured several different linear measuring instruments, each with creative interpretations of what a set unit of measurment would be. I think one side extends further from the keel than the other.

The Vasa was was an engineering failure, it was too tall and narrow and sank on it's maiden voyage. Luckily it was recovered in the 1960's and you can view it in all of it's decadent glory!

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

The Locator- man that model is looking nice, I really want to get into wood ship building but I need to start smaller. Does anyone know if there is a nice wood guillotine kit for sale anywhere? Or is that something I'd have to scratch build?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Huggable Bear King posted:

The Locator- man that model is looking nice, I really want to get into wood ship building but I need to start smaller. Does anyone know if there is a nice wood guillotine kit for sale anywhere? Or is that something I'd have to scratch build?

Never occurred to me to look for one, but typing "guillotine wood model kit" into Google returned a bunch of stuff like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/164171330/guillotine-model-kit

For boats, I like the selection of small beginner kits from Midwest Products - http://midwestproducts.com/collections/boats

For something completely different, I'm seriously considering getting one of these awesome working wooden clock kits - http://www.woodentimes.com/

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Just finished this one up today, Tamiya's Toyota TS020:

Took about 3 months since I had to redo the paintjob, plus plenty of carbon fiber decal work. Nice kit, typical Tamiya quality.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

SkunkDuster posted:

The scale trains and tanks in this thread are awesome to see, but I am a plane guy at heart and I love to log in and see plane pictures posted. That is one awesome camo job and a great inspiration!

Thanks for the feedback. I've generally been a tank man till recently, this is the 3rd serious plane that I've tried and I'm really feeling the love.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Baronjutter posted:

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with N scale, the truck is about as big as your thumb.

Makes me want to dig out my HO Scale trains and build together a small layout.

I remember a large electronics shop used to have one or two big layouts in the middle of their shop, with various cameras set up around it on mounts, so you could test em out on the layout.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

The Locator posted:

...I then made a small jig..
:unsmith:

George Zimmer posted:

Just finished this one up today, Tamiya's Toyota TS020:
Cleanest work I've seen posted sofar. Not really into cars, but goddamn, that's awesome.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

The Locator posted:

I did a bunch of stuff over the month of December, but very little work on the boat, but I finally did manage to get back to it and make some progress.

Part of what I did over the holiday's was to finally get my hobby room up and running. Yay! I got rid of the carpet, and put together another workbench (and got a small folding table) to begin with. I plan to add a lot more to this, but hey, it's a start!

Are those the work benches from harbor freight? Those are super rad. I've got two large glass top computer desks I use now but I'd love a nice wooden bench with drawers...then again the drawers would just fill up with poo poo I never use much like the rest of my room.

Baronjutter posted:

My wife got me a table lamp magnifier thing. I basically don't work on anything small unless it's the exact hours the sun comes in the window and even then the lighting sucks. I can finally see poo poo now!!!

Also I really really need to clean my hobby space up.

Where did she get this? I'm dying for one but I really don't want to shell out $40-100 for one.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2015

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

alcyon posted:

:unsmith:

Cleanest work I've seen posted sofar. Not really into cars, but goddamn, that's awesome.

Thank you! It's one of my better builds I think. First time I actually airbrushed the bodywork with decanted Tamiya sprays. Definitely made a difference and I'll be doing that from here on out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shachi posted:

Are those the work benches from harbor freight? Those are super rad. I've got two large glass top computer desks I use now but I'd love a nice wooden bench with drawers...then again the drawers would just fill up with poo poo I never use much like the rest of my room.

Yes, those are harbor freight work benches. Hard to beat at that price point.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Shachi posted:

Where did she get this? I'm dying for one but I really don't want to shell out $40-100 for one.

We had one of these at work (electronic repair) and I wasn't a fan of it. The light was nice, but I had a hell of a time using it as a magnifier when soldering small connections. I didn't like it because, in order to stay in focus, you had to maintain the right distance between your eyes and the lens, and the lens and your hands. Also, it is big and gets in the way. On my model bench, I use a pair of magnifying goggles (something like this) and it is much easier because the distance between the eye and lens doesn't change.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Because I live in darkest Canada, I got me one of those full-spectrum $150 sunlamps to avoid the SADs. It is glorious and as a side effect, it gives enough light for modeling.

Building a new tiny tank right now

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shachi posted:

Just some random art supply store. It was "only" like $40. I'm sure you could find one online for cheaper maybe.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

No Pun Intended posted:

Look what my cat got me for Christmas

He is such a good cat.

I would like to remote control it; does any one know where I should start looking to accomplish this?

I know this is from back in December, but I stumbled on a thread on doing exactly this on RC 10 Talk - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37417. It's really nicely done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Shachi posted:

They sell them at fabric stores for olds who do quilting.