Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol so are they going to make BBM for Tizen phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

RubberJohnny posted:

http://www.itworld.com/article/2873895/blackberry-wants-to-mandate-app-developers-to-make-apps-for-its-platform.html

BlackBerry CEO John Chen wants net neutrality to extend to content and applications, so that developers of apps for Android and iOS will be mandated to develop on the BlackBerry platform as well.

Not all content and app providers have embraced openness and neutrality, Chen wrote in a blog post that the company said was adapted from a letter sent to U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday. Policymakers must demand openness not just at the traffic and transport layer, but also at the content and applications layer, he added.

“Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM [BlackBerry Messenger] service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service,” Chen said. He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers.

“Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users,” said Chen, who added that as a result a “two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem” had been created where Android and iPhone users have more access to content and applications than users of mobile devices running other operating systems.

“Therefore, neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet,” said Chen, who added that all applications and content providers must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customer’s mobile operating system.

this argument is literally insane

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chen has already cut anything that could be cut and the passport was supposed to be the hail mary device so at this point he's probably just waiting for the board to boot him so he can collect his severance

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

This is no stupid idea, this smells to me like a move back into consumer area (or focus in) they would have to eventually, and for that unfortunately you can't just rely on the best OS alone, you need apps and app support as well

Z30 all day baby

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Boxturret posted:

wait seriously? like every single electronic thing i've bought in the last decade that's more complex that a flashlight has had neflix pre-installed

lol at watching a widescreen movie on the cheese phone

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Q10 was carrier locked so if you wanted Wind Mobile you were out of luck

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Scott Forstall posted:

lol at the cheese phone

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boxturret posted:

wait seriously? like every single electronic thing i've bought in the last decade that's more complex that a flashlight has had neflix pre-installed
and thats how bad blackberries are

Bonzo posted:

The Q10 was carrier locked so if you wanted Wind Mobile you were out of luck

"if you wanted this bad phone on a third tier canadian carrier, you were out of luck"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

http://www.itworld.com/article/2873895/blackberry-wants-to-mandate-app-developers-to-make-apps-for-its-platform.html

BlackBerry CEO John Chen wants net neutrality to extend to content and applications, so that developers of apps for Android and iOS will be mandated to develop on the BlackBerry platform as well.

Not all content and app providers have embraced openness and neutrality, Chen wrote in a blog post that the company said was adapted from a letter sent to U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday. Policymakers must demand openness not just at the traffic and transport layer, but also at the content and applications layer, he added.

“Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM [BlackBerry Messenger] service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service,” Chen said. He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers.

“Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users,” said Chen, who added that as a result a “two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem” had been created where Android and iPhone users have more access to content and applications than users of mobile devices running other operating systems.

“Therefore, neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet,” said Chen, who added that all applications and content providers must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customer’s mobile operating system.

quote:

Application/Content Neutrality. BlackBerry has been in the midst of a turnaround since I took over as Executive Chairman and CEO in November 2013. During the past 15 months the company has stabilized and introduced a variety of new products as we pivot away from our prior reliance on hardware to become a full-service, device-agnostic provider of highly secure and productive software and services. Our balance sheet is strong and our turnaround is proceeding apace.
the government should force everyone to write apps for our lovely phones, also have i mentioned how awesome i am and how much ive turned things around here at blackberry

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also while i was googling this did u know that mike lazaridis really obviously edited his own wiki page

quote:

Mihal "Mike" Lazaridis, OC, O.Ont, FRS (Greek: Μιχαήλ (Μιχάλης) Λαζαρίδης; born March 14, 1961) is a Greek - Canadian businessman, investor in quantum computing technologies, and founder and Vice Chairman of BlackBerry, which created and manufactures the BlackBerry wireless handheld device. As a passionate advocate for the power of basic science to improve and transform the world,

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the government should force everyone to write apps for our lovely phones, also have i mentioned how awesome i am and how much ive turned things around here at blackberry

CANCON for phones

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

also while i was googling this did u know that mike lazaridis really obviously edited his own wiki page

i've done the needful

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

lol it's now

fishmech posted:

Mihal "Mike" Lazaridis, OC, O.Ont, FRS (Greek: Μιχαήλ (Μιχάλης) Λαζαρίδης; born March 14, 1961) is a Greek - Canadian businessman, investor in quantum computing technologies, and founder and Vice Chairman of BlackBerry, which created and manufactures the BlackBerry wireless handheld device. As a passionate advocate for the power of basic science to improve and transform the world[citation needed],

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

i've done the needful

:tipshat:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol is someone really gonna roll up on lizardlips wiki and just stare in confusion until they see his name in greek

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Pinterest Mom posted:

apple should release iMessage for android and blackberry

this would almost kill sms and is therefore a good idea

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

There Will Be Penalty posted:

so the carriers would never let it happen on android

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

also google

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

so the carriers would never let it happen on android

I use google hangouts and Facebook messenger. Can't remember the last time I used SMS.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3nQYpVtbs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bonzo posted:

I use google hangouts and Facebook messenger. Can't remember the last time I used SMS.
umm what about 4 texting girls and other people who arent leet h4x0rz

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

umm what about 4 texting girls and other people who arent leet h4x0rz

iMessage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
so, Chen wants software policy to be like Microsoft's parity release clause with the Bone? but as an actual law?

lolololol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Balsillie a year after the iPhone's release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51lXfc2zDw

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mister Macys posted:

Jim Balsillie a year after the iPhone's release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51lXfc2zDw

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

3x faster than that thing from 2011 oh baby

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

3x faster* than that thing from 2011 oh baby

* same chip as the one in our three year old tablet :laugh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Defend Your Purchase

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

8k views. yospos alone drove a non-insignificant percentage of those

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

There Will Be Penalty posted:

whats with all you idiots not getting free sms with your data plan like 5 years ago like the rest of the world

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

just the browser.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

tbf this is the only phone they make that makes any kind of sense.

it's a clunky POS but at least it's not a touch screen only phone from the company who's only appeal is their hardware keyboards. or the american singles phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ui is still incomprehensible gibberish though. with such amazingly intuitive and discoverable gestures as swipe an upside down backwards "L" starting from off the screen to go to the bb hub! if you start the swipe from on the screen it does something else

and half the menus are hidden and can only be brought up by hitting the bb key, or sometimes by selecting the element on screen and hitting the select button. it's never the same thing in two different screens!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The guy that says he can "Now travel without my laptop" is the owner (well, inherited form his father )of some Marketing firm here in Waterloo. I suppose I could travel without a laptop too if all I did was email my secretary to setup meetings and run reports. He call himself the Chief Enthusiasm Officer.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
citrix just blasted out a mailer about blackberry replacement programs and seminars

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

Typo Products, a company that developed a BlackBerry-esque keyboard case for the iPhone, must pay BlackBerry $860,000 for continuing to sell its Typo case despite being ordered to cease sales in March.

The Typo keyboard was first announced in December of 2013 and was backed by media personality Ryan Seacrest (of American Idol fame). Seacrest reportedly invested $1 million into the product, which was the result of a desire to introduce a physical keyboard for the iPhone.

According to Seacrest and his partner Lauren Hallier, they saw many of their friends carrying two phones -- one for typing and correspondence, presumably a Blackberry, and an iPhone for everything else. The keyboard that the duo developed, which snapped onto an iPhone, bore a marked resemblance to BlackBerry's signature keyboards, a fact that did not go unnoticed by the company.

Just a month after the Typo keyboard was announced, BlackBerry filed a lawsuit accusing Typo Products of "blatantly" copying the BlackBerry keyboard and infringing on BlackBerry patents. A judge agreed with BlackBerry, handing down the aforementioned injunction that banned the Typo from selling its keyboards, despite Typo's argument that it was not harming BlackBerry as BlackBerry was already losing market share.

Typo ignored the injunction and continued selling its Typo keyboard cases, leading BlackBerry to file a contempt of court order in August, which resulted in today's $860,000 fine. BlackBerry had initially asked for $2.6 million in penalties, plus attorneys' fees for the violation.

In addition to continuing to sell the original keyboard case, Typo Products introduced the Typo2 keyboard for the iPhone 6 in December of 2014, which it says does not infringe on any BlackBerry patents. Typo2 features a sleeker design with a built-in keyboard that unfortunately blocks the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6. Typo's website currently sells Typo2 keyboards for both the iPhone 5/5s and the iPhone 6.

ETA until Blackberry makes more money from patent trolling than phone sales?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

i'd guess whenever that payment clears

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RubberJohnny posted:

why the hellk would you name a keyboard company "typo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

RubberJohnny posted:

According to Seacrest and his partner Lauren Hallier, they saw many of their friends carrying two phones -- one for typing and correspondence, presumably a Blackberry, and an iPhone for everything else

I want loving names, these people should be ostracized.

• Locked thread