Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They don't need massive enrichment schemes for mere power plants though. And not only will anything the West/Israel does feed their paranoia, so will the actual wink wink nudge Pakistani warheads & Chinese missiles connection south of them.

If you want an example of a more reasonable nuclear power plants scheme in the ME, look at what the UAE has been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Spacman posted:

It's just a loving shame that it is immediately connected with building the bomb.

I can't help but think that if the mud hut peoples could wean themselves off selling oil by using nuclear power it would undermine a huge rhetoric we use in the first world, and that is the real reason we crap on about them using it.

Not the whole beardie people with the bomb thing.

How would the use of nuclear power in Iran dissuade Iran from selling oil? Increased use of nuclear power in oil importing countries might have that effect(through a decrease in demand) but not the other way around.

Nuclear power in Iran might decrease oil demand in Iran and/or lower the costs of production of oil in Iran but it probably wouldn't cause them to 'wean themselves off the sale of oil'.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Spacman posted:

It's just a loving shame that it is immediately connected with building the bomb.

I can't help but think that if the mud hut peoples could wean themselves off selling oil by using nuclear power it would undermine a huge rhetoric we use in the first world, and that is the real reason we crap on about them using it.

Not the whole beardie people with the bomb thing.

Uhh what. They'd arguably be selling more oil if they built nuclear plant.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

How would the use of nuclear power in Iran dissuade Iran from selling oil? Increased use of nuclear power in oil importing countries might have that effect(through a decrease in demand) but not the other way around.

Nuclear power in Iran might decrease oil demand in Iran and/or lower the costs of production of oil in Iran but it probably wouldn't cause them to 'wean themselves off the sale of oil'.

Might get them to realize they live in a self inflicted stone age poo poo hole and bring back the pre-ayatollah days where they were part of the global community.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
"No no guys, it's fine now, we can stop. We have enough money."

Can anyone remind me who said that?

no one ever

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Koesj posted:

Didn't the Gingrich Congress sit on the fuel for inspections deal for so long that the North Koreans said gently caress it?

I'm not sure about NK. The proposal was rejected by Iran, which I thought was the topic. I certainly could have gotten my wires crossed.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Tremblay posted:

I'm not sure about NK. The proposal was rejected by Iran, which I thought was the topic. I certainly could have gotten my wires crossed.

I meant that past performance by the US on such deals might have set a bad precedent :shrug:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Hardly anyone uses oil for power generation anyway. What nuclear power does let you get rid of is lovely goddamn coal and natural gas plants.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bolow posted:

Hardly anyone uses oil for power generation anyway. What nuclear power does let you get rid of is lovely goddamn coal and natural gas plants.

If you sit on an abundant source of oil, you use oil for power generation. About 20% of Iran's electricity comes from burning oil, but it's that low only because Iran also has a shitload of natural gas. Saudi Arabia gets about 65% of its electricity from burning oil. If you're sitting on this large, but finite, supply material which you can sell to foreigners for some ridiculous amount of money, it's dumb to burn it for electricity instead of selling it, it's eating your seed corn. Nuclear power makes insane economic sense for Iran because every drop of oil they don't burn in generators is another drop they can export for cash.

Best thing that we could have done was say "Look, yeah, a nuclear power plant makes sense for you. So here, we'll help you build an integral fast reactor, or an energy amplifier, or an LFTR, something that'll be really useful to generate power with but which isn't that useful for, say, blowing up Israel. You'll be world pioneers, driving the advance of nuclear technology." If they're serious about power generation, that's a good deal, if they just want to blow up Israel then it's a bad one.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

If you sit on an abundant source of oil, you use oil for power generation. About 20% of Iran's electricity comes from burning oil, but it's that low only because Iran also has a shitload of natural gas. Saudi Arabia gets about 65% of its electricity from burning oil. If you're sitting on this large, but finite, supply material which you can sell to foreigners for some ridiculous amount of money, it's dumb to burn it for electricity instead of selling it, it's eating your seed corn. Nuclear power makes insane economic sense for Iran because every drop of oil they don't burn in generators is another drop they can export for cash.

Best thing that we could have done was say "Look, yeah, a nuclear power plant makes sense for you. So here, we'll help you build an integral fast reactor, or an energy amplifier, or an LFTR, something that'll be really useful to generate power with but which isn't that useful for, say, blowing up Israel. You'll be world pioneers, driving the advance of nuclear technology." If they're serious about power generation, that's a good deal, if they just want to blow up Israel then it's a bad one.

If all Iran wanted to do was build good nuclear plants I'm pretty sure a deal could have been made with the US or France or whatever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Syncopated posted:

If all Iran wanted to do was build good nuclear plants I'm pretty sure a deal could have been made with the US or France or whatever.

Last time they made a reactor deal with France it didn't turn out super well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Hahahaha. That went great the last time they tried!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Spacman posted:

Israel needs to man the gently caress up and stop running to mum every time someone calls them on talking poo poo. They are the international equivalent of the short man bully. Talk big poo poo up, throw a punch or two, then when the big boys come to beat them they go and cry to mum and then hide behind dad.

Well if you're strictly talking about the diplomatic side of foreign affairs, yes, they are a little bitch.

If you're talking about the kinetic side of foreign affairs, they're the bully. Albeit a bully who is so incompetent the last two times they tried to steal someone's lunch money they wound up hauled up the flagpole with their briefs pulled over their head.

Wasabi the J posted:

Might get them to realize they live in a self inflicted stone age poo poo hole and bring back the pre-ayatollah days where they were part of the global community.

The Iranian population already is well aware of this.

There's other reasons things are the way they are, but the idea that the Iranian people are just totally cool with living under the current regime and love it to death is pretty wrong.

Koesj posted:

I meant that past performance by the US on such deals might have set a bad precedent :shrug:

The US govt renege on a diplomatic deal?!?!? Why I never!!!

Also yeah, the people saying "why doesn't Iran just make a deal with the West to get some non-weapon capable reactors" are kind of missing some pretty significant historical context.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfdR0G5gc_s

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I like their method of carrying him at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcsN8akfW4&t=184s

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Good plane

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Destro posted:

Learn spoken Arabic the easy way! http://tunisianarabic24.blogspot.com/

I see his vest did him a lot of good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Oh cool, I didn't expect the sensor operator to slip on the One Ring.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Goddamn the Flanker is a big loving plane

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Destro posted:

Just pointing out that's a somewhat older video, and he's FSA. Not ISIS.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A Flanker is about the same length as a loving B-17. An F-15 is a few feet shorter.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Just pointing out that's a somewhat older video, and he's FSA. Not ISIS.
You don't see as many of the hop-around-the-corner and spray-and-pray videos like you used to. Prolly because the Syrian rebels learned pretty fast not to do that. Most of the videos now show them inside buildings and shooting from way back inside rooms.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

You'd think people would have learned their lesson about overtaking EP-3s on the right after what happened last time.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

You'd think people would have learned their lesson about overtaking EP-3s on the right after what happened last time.

One free EP 3 plus a dead hero pilot, in addition to a populace that gets to blame the US for attacking a fighter with a prop driven reconnaissance plane?

We're not talking about a country that gives a poo poo about the rest of the world here.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Last time they made a reactor deal with France it didn't turn out super well.

Ok so apparently the Iranians (possibly?) killed a dude but that was years ago man.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Here's a working video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN8OoefnUPM

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I sat in a Flanker a few years back. They're loving awesome. And huge.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ukrainians in Mariupol got up close and personal with some 122mm rockets today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_bwzPbGrA

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Peshmerga killing ISIS dudes north of Kirkuk.

http://youtu.be/azbuZtBwTVY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

oh my god that intro is so awesome

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZ_D_qpRv8&t=704s

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
What a loving circus.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the kurds can do that poo poo without saying allahu ackbar 50 times, why can't these guys?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I love the whimsical font they used in the caption :3: .

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Head markers of mass graves filled with dead ISIS: the only place appropriate for Comic Sans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Based Kurds, I think one even had his ipod earbuds in. Gotta make sure you have your gently caress poo poo playlist on before you go hunting. Its too bad we just snubbed them at the conference.

• Locked thread