Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Luneshot posted:

released heat of about 1000 watts per gram

Holy exotherm, Batman! :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy exotherm, Batman! :eyepop:

For when normal RTGs are too puny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It reminds me of this entry on the TIWWW blog, which coincidentally is the one that named this thread:

quote:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php

Hydrogen sulfide, for example, reacts with four molecules of FOOF to give sulfur hexafluoride, 2 molecules of HF and four oxygens. . .and 433 kcal, which is the kind of every-man-for-himself exotherm that you want to avoid at all cost.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

It reminds me of this entry on the TIWWW blog, which coincidentally is the one that named this thread:

I saw a mention of dioxygen chlorine trifluoride in that article's comments. That sounds like the most unholy molecule in existence that will kill you in any number of terrible ways just for looking at it wrong. We've already got a molecule that is evidence there is no such thing as a kind and loving god, let's cram some extra oxygens on the ends of it and see what happens :stonklol:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I saw a mention of dioxygen chlorine trifluoride in that article's comments. That sounds like the most unholy molecule in existence that will kill you in any number of terrible ways just for looking at it wrong. We've already got a molecule that is evidence there is no such thing as a kind and loving god, let's cram some extra oxygens on the ends of it and see what happens :stonklol:

One of my favourites from TIWWW is the updates from Klapötke, like the merely (hah) ridiculously explosive C2N14.

Yup. Fourteen loving nitrogen atoms in a single molecule, with a couple of carbons acting like nightclub bouncers between two armoured divisions.

It explodes if you so much as look at it funny. As in, "The sensitivity of C2N14 is beyond our capabilities of measurement. The smallest possible loadings in shock and friction tests led to explosive decomposition." It explodes if you try to get an infrared spectrum of it. Naturally, as eating a tube of Pringles on the next planet over will cause it to go "boom", its main use is in the field of getting rid of spectrometers you didn't like anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

His reverence for the sacred work of Klapötke is endearing.

They have to have their labs either underwater or in a hollow volcano, because they're clearly Bond villains.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's gotta be per mole, not per individual reaction, because otherwise that's like nuclear energy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

That's gotta be per mole, not per individual reaction, because otherwise that's like nuclear energy.

He clarifies later that that's per mol, yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ToxicFrog posted:

He clarifies later that that's per mol, yes.

Still nothing to sneeze at. I found a number for TNT of 616.4 kJ/mol, which translates to about 147 kCal/mol.

So basically FOOF/H2S is about 3 times as potent as TNT.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Still nothing to sneeze at. I found a number for TNT of 616.4 kJ/mol, which translates to about 147 kCal/mol.

So basically FOOF/H2S is about 3 times as potent as TNT.

Doesn't that blog also name a compound (prob also studied by Klapötke), for which the description says that if you want to reduce its explosive qualities, it's best to dilute it with TNT? :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Doesn't that blog also name a compound (prob also studied by Klapötke), for which the description says that if you want to reduce its explosive qualities, it's best to dilute it with TNT? :stare:

That's the nitrogen-cage abomination mentioned earlier.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2011/11/11/things_i_wont_work_with_hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane.php

quote:

Not that it's what you'd call a perfect compound in that regard - despite a lot of effort, it's still not quite ready to be hauled around in trucks. There's a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you're left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That writing style :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anybody ever done like, a general psych profile on chemists who specialize in explosives? I have to imagine there are some interesting common features there :stonklol:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Being banned from Space Station 13 would probably be one of them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no at least ss13 gives you the cushion of simulation, these are people who on occasion synthesize compounds capable of blowing off their limbs in the smallest amounts, by hand

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

'Hand' might be a bit generous.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'll find it again later when i get off shift but i'm pretty sure tiwww has an example of a compound that's gotta be hand stirred for some hosed reason

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't blame professional chemists, sometimes chemicals are invented by ten-year-old girls.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How the hell does stuff like that not get discovered sooner? Like shouldn't a room full of kids/a super computer "get" most chemicals?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PhazonLink posted:

How the hell does stuff like that not get discovered sooner? Like shouldn't a room full of kids/a super computer "get" most chemicals?

There are untold numbers of combinations of atoms and then we get into the insane math of their structure and pairing. Once you've put together something you can check and see if it's viable with some math, but marking off all the failures takes a lot of time. It's why protein folding crowdsourcing was popular a few years back, there's just so much stuff that any one thing could not possibly sift through it all with today's tech in any reasonable length of time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

i'll find it again later when i get off shift but i'm pretty sure tiwww has an example of a compound that's gotta be hand stirred for some hosed reason

Dimethylcadmium, I think. The whole article is a good read, and his metaphors are exceptional as always. That's where "bored silly by something trying to kill you" showed up, at least.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/05/08/things_i_wont_work_with_dimethylcadmium.php

quote:

The general rule is, if you're looking for the worst organic derivatives of any metal, you should hop right on down to the methyl compounds. That's where the most choking vapors, the brightest flames, and the most panicked shouts and heartfelt curses are to be found. Methyl organometallics tend to be small, reactive, volatile, and ready to party.

quote:

If you have a nice wide spill of it, with a lot of surface area, you fool, it'll probably still ignite on its own, giving off plenty of poisonous cadmium oxide smoke. If for some reason it doesn't do that, you will still regret your decision: the compound will react with oxygen anyway and form a crust of dimethyl cadmium peroxide, a poorly characterized compound (go figure) which is a friction-sensitive explosive. I've no idea how you get out of that tight spot; any attempts are likely to suddenly distribute the rest of the dimethylcadmium as a fine mist.

e: it was his article on metal azides.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2014/06/16/your_metal_azide_worries_are_over.php

quote:

And before making the metal azide in the first place, naturally, you need to ask "Do I want to blow myself to pieces?" That's because this isn't one of those set-it-and-forget-it Crock-Pot azide reactions. No, you're going to have to hand-craft these things:

". . .The reaction mixtures were intensively stirred using a magnetic stirrer when all AgN3 is dissolved (after approximately one day). As long as there is a residue of AgN3, the vessel only should be shaken very gently to prevent silver azide grains to be ground at the glass wall of the vessel."
Yes, "grinding" is one of those verbs that you don't want to hear about when azide preps are being discussed, along with "stomping", "whacking", "flinging" and several others to which is only response should be "fleeing". Ah, but once you've dissolved that pesky silver azide, the fun is only just coming over the horizon:

"Crust formation occurring at the fluid level and consisting of silver azide at the beginning of the reaction and the respective metal azide at the end of the reaction have to be carefully scraped off the glass every day with a Teflon spatula. The scraping has to be performed with extreme care. . ."

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jan 24, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Luneshot posted:

I particularly like the Wikipedia article for Einsteinium.

No lie, I want to see this in person. How loving awesome.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

7thBatallion posted:

No lie, I want to see this in person. How loving awesome.

Find a nuclear reactor to tour. They glow blue like that too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Find a nuclear reactor to tour. They glow blue like that too.

Swimming in the pool at a nuclear reactor is on my bucket list. We've been through this a dozen times, and I'd no doubt be shot in the process.

But it isn't Cherenkov radiation, is it?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

7thBatallion posted:

Swimming in the pool at a nuclear reactor is on my bucket list. We've been through this a dozen times, and I'd no doubt be shot in the process.

Nope totally is Cherenkov.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Nope totally is Cherenkov.

Okay, now it really has my interest.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

7thBatallion posted:

I got to photograph a nuclear power plant's refueling from the edge of the fuel basin, and it was ~~~magical~~~

You'll never see the blues I saw.

Never

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

There is a way to get into the reactor pools to as a job. It involves scuba diving in the reactor vessel itself...where you've got all the normal hazards of diving (faulty air lines, decompression illness, etc), technical diving (underwater welding and working in general doesn't sound terribly appealing, though I hear the pay is decent) on top of the hazards of being near an active nuclear core. My buddy who works in a nuclear plant says these guys get their yearly allowable radiation dose within the first or second job of the year, depending on how long those jobs last and how often they're diving.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-03/swimming-hot-side

(Yes, this is a job I would consider applying to, at the nuclear plant not too far from here).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Platystemon posted:

America can only answer this by doping bills with Americium.

you probably have around a microgram or two of Americium in your house, so you can get right on this one today.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

you probably have around a microgram or two of Americium in your house, so you can get right on this one today.

Probably not recommended.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Diving into a secured reactor pool is a great way of getting lead poisoning...

...well, insofar as kinetic introduction of lead to your body is concerned.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Minarchist posted:

Diving into a secured reactor pool is a great way of getting lead poisoning...

...well, insofar as kinetic introduction of lead to your body is concerned.

Already covered that. Hence why it's on my bucket list. As the last entry.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
There's at least one, and I assume quite a few, pool-type reactors that are secured by all of a receptionist having to buzz you in. I've been through my university's research reactor building a few times and the main security checkpoint for it is the front desk where you leave your cell phone and pick up a visitor dosimeter badge. Their big security upgrade post-9/11 was to obscure it slightly by removing most of the blatant "Nuclear Reactor" signing and referring to it by a building number or acronym all the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pitch posted:

Their big security upgrade post-9/11 was to obscure it slightly by removing most of the blatant "Nuclear Reactor" signing and referring to it by a building number or acronym all the time.

To be fair, that's probably a fairly effective security measure for the cost of its implementation. Can't hit it if no one knows it's there. :v:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Makes me want to open a bakery called NUCLEAR MATERIALS Lab and have a sale on yellow cake.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

StandardVC10 posted:

To be fair, that's probably a fairly effective security measure for the cost of its implementation. Can't hit it if no one knows it's there. :v:
At some point they spent the savings on upgrading the water level controllers to something digital from the old literal off-the-shelf toilet float.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

The university research reactor I've been to uses the same techniques, but also has the building directory and evacuation maps fudged so the door that leads to it looks like it's for a basement janitor's closet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Theris posted:

The university research reactor I've been to uses the same techniques, but also has the building directory and evacuation maps fudged so the door that leads to it looks like it's for a basement janitor's closet.

So, if an actual emergency happens, the firefighters get confused by the maps and everyone will die? Good security.

At my university there was, to my knowledge, no research reactor (there used to be a particle accelerator, though). Funny thing was that the doors of the laboratory buildings with real expensive equipment were closed off. You either needed a key, or ring up a receptionist to open the door for you.

Or simply use the elevated walkway from a next door building, the doors in those were always unlocked.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 25, 2015

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

7thBatallion posted:

Makes me want to open a bakery called NUCLEAR MATERIALS Lab and have a sale on yellow cake.

I've made yellow cake for my reactor physics dept on Groundhog Day, but the joke only makes sense if you think in English. :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, if an actual emergency happens, the firefighters get confused by the maps and everyone will die? Good security.

I'm fairly sure the local fire department are made aware if there's a nuclear reactor in their jurisdiction.