Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

tuluk posted:

the city planner thought SKY-CARS would have been around 20 yrs ago. imagine the chaos of drunken marines in SKY-CARS. IMAGINE.

Sky-cars with lift kits and EGA decals everywhere! A truly wonderful USMC future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Corn Burst posted:

Sky-cars with lift kits and EGA decals everywhere! A truly wonderful USMC future.

The F-35B is operational?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Flikken posted:

The F-35B is operational?

dude epic f35 joke

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/01/16/two-female-officers-dropped-from-ioc/21802297/

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Its nutty having a finger in IOC's and GCEITF's pie while having all this happen. I have a feeling that unless they adjust the standard, our recommendation to SECDEF will be

"Please no, you'll bankrupt us."

vains
May 26, 2004

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

New York was pretty cool in the 80s

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

is that travis bickle

vains
May 26, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

is that travis bickle

Is that you John Wayne?

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Is that you John Wayne?

is this me

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
who said that? who the gently caress said that? whos the slimy little communist poo poo twinkle toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

sir i said it sir

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I felt bad for the idiots who signed up thinking boot camp would make a real man/killing machine out of them after watching that movie and somehow missing the entire loving point, which is Marine Corps sucks 90% of the time and Animal Mother rules

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Animal Mother rules

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Adam Baldwin has made a career out of playing that role in about 30 different time periods/scenarios and Santa bless him for it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Booblord Zagats posted:

life sucks 90% of the time and Animal Mother rules

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Booblord Zagats posted:

Adam Baldwin has made a career out of playing that role in about 30 different time periods/scenarios and Santa bless him for it

Jayne was hilarious in Firefly.

I tried to find an example, but every Firefly video on youtube is a slideshow set to music because I'm not allowed to like things that aren't completely ruined by fat nerds.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Victor Vermis posted:

Jayne was hilarious in Firefly.

I tried to find an example, but every Firefly video on youtube is a slideshow set to music because I'm not allowed to like things that aren't completely ruined by fat nerds.

Yeah he was. The entire scene where he tries to trade his most favorite gun for Christina Hendricks was probably the best thing I've ever watched

Also, yeah. Firefly nerds are leagues worse than Star Wars or Star Trek fans, which is a shame because I much prefer Firefly to both

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I won't even watch firefly because of the nerds

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

krispykremessuck posted:

I won't even watch firefly because of the nerds

Yeah, Firefly is just a really good Western that happens to be set on a spaceship. It's a great show with some really good character actors that deserved better than it got.

That said, the louder part of the fan base are the same nerds who won't shut up about steam-punk and poo poo. But most fans I've known are in fact normal dudes who like Westerns and wish that Star Wars wasn't 60% fantasy space magic.

Also, all the chicks in it are legit hot as gently caress

vains
May 26, 2004

shut the gently caress up

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

shut the gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNaUD2xmu8

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

This is a much better reason to hate white people than slavery

vains
May 26, 2004

no mas

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

SPG ftw

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Got one last call reminding me my IRR time runs out in a few months and that the reserves have an MOS slot open here.

on one hand, I'd really like to go shoot mortars in the summer

on the other hand, I really don't ever want to stand at attention in between stretching exercises. Seriously that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of dumb poo poo I never want to do again.

How laid back are the Marine reserves? One of you idiots has to have done it.

vains
May 26, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

Got one last call reminding me my IRR time runs out in a few months and that the reserves have an MOS slot open here.

on one hand, I'd really like to go shoot mortars in the summer

on the other hand, I really don't ever want to stand at attention in between stretching exercises. Seriously that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of dumb poo poo I never want to do again.

The reserves are a months worth of idiocy packed into a weekend.

edit: Its different than being on active duty because everyone, for the most part, has a real life with real responsibilities. Still plenty of retards and plenty of standing around doing nothing.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 23, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

the ginger is a tranny

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

The other reservists are pretty laid back* but the training schedule is nuts in combat arms, expect 3-4 day drills each month with little sleep. It hosed with my work pretty consistently and it fucks with school. This is because the unit is run by active duty guys who hate everyone and also have no idea how the real world works, nor any incentive to care.

"lol why would I tell these dumb enlisted trash about our orders switching more than a week ahead of the time they need to get on a plane, we don't do that in Lejeune and I'm sure these losers have nothing else going on in their lives" - every I&I ever

If you're still in IRR you can just call them and show up and leave when you inevitably start hating it or realize it's loving over your life, so no loss trying it out though.

*there will be at least one piece of poo poo ssgt reservist who never deployed and is an utter loving loser who is moto-ed out

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 23, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

Best Friends posted:

The other reservists are pretty laid back but the training schedule is nuts in combat arms, expect 3-4 day drills each month with little sleep. It hosed with my work pretty consistently and it fucks with school. This is because the unit is run by active duty guys who hate everyone and also have no idea how the real world works, nor any incentive to care.

"lol why would I tell these dumb enlisted trash about our orders switching more than a week ahead of the time they need to get on a plane, we don't do that in Lejeune and I'm sure these losers have nothing else going on in their lives" - every I&I ever

If you're still in IRR you can just call them and show up and leave when you inevitably start hating it or realize it's loving over your life, so no loss trying it out though.

Sounds like your unit is led by retards/pussies. Reserve SNCOs/Os have real lives and have a hand in creating the training sched.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Can confirm our reserve CO was a retard. The higher up NCOs reserve side were cops and city employees so they also had no conception of an employer being unhappy with their employee disappearing on a few days notice.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

The reserves are a months worth of idiocy packed into a weekend.

edit: Its different than being on active duty because everyone, for the most part, has a real life with real responsibilities. Still plenty of retards and plenty of standing around doing nothing.

Honestly, standing around and doing nothing never bothered me as much as nonsensical "custom & curtesy(!!!)" leaking into the big boy stuff did.

Best Friends posted:

The other reservists are pretty laid back* but the training schedule is nuts in combat arms, expect 3-4 day drills each month with little sleep. It hosed with my work pretty consistently and it fucks with school. This is because the unit is run by active duty guys who hate everyone and also have no idea how the real world works, nor any incentive to care.

*there will be at least one piece of poo poo ssgt reservist who never deployed and is an utter loving loser who is moto-ed out

3-4 day drills each month eats up your annual obligation pretty quickly, doesn't it? Is that a thing or am I mistaken? Would you be declared a piece of poo poo if you hit your obligation and deuced out (i m gay) until the next fiscal?

Does combat arms actually do combat arms training during those long (sleepless?) weekends?

edit: I probably should check it out, I am still on IRR.

vains
May 26, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

3-4 day drills each month eats up your annual obligation pretty quickly, doesn't it? Is that a thing or am I mistaken? Would you be declared a piece of poo poo if you hit your obligation and deuced out (i m gay) until the next fiscal?

Does combat arms actually do combat arms training during those long (sleepless?) weekends?

edit: I probably should check it out, I am still on IRR.

Even if you hit your required number of drill periods, you still have to have 12 satisfactory months. You can't just dip out once you attain 72 drill points.

I don't think any unit could afford to hold 4 day drills every month so I wouldn't be worried about that. 1 month is Birthday Ball and fulfilling annual training requirements(sexual assault, career progression, etccc), 1 month is Toys4Twats/medical/annual training requirements/pft/cft, 1 month is AT prep(qualifying crews/packing gear into quadcons for transport/medical), 1 month is AT and 1 month is rifle quals(the reserves rifle qual bi-annualy). You might rifle qual at AT if they can't lock on anything worthwhile to do.

Yes, if you're doing a long drill you're generally going to the field. A day or so is usually taken up traveling to the training location.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

At least around here you don't drill in December and January is often canceled, plus there are a couple 2 day drills. As far as where that put us in annual obligation though, no idea. The idea of just not showing up was not contemplated.

Field drills would follow this pattern:

Show up at drill center Friday morning
Get convoy up and roll out to firing range
RSOP and fire until range is cold Friday night.
A little sleep.
Fire in the morning until rounds are expended, either lunch in field and clean up of firing point or clean up firing point and return to staging area to clean howitzers and equipment.
Classes a/o piss test until lights out and prep for convoy back to drill center
Decent sleep, maybe 7 hours.
Convoy back to drill center
More howitzer maintenance, possibly classes, standing around for hours waiting for unit to be released
Leave drill center for home 3-5pm.

The 4 day field drills would be rifle qual. I think there was some other 4 day thing but I can't remember what it was.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 23, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Reservist infantry battalions are really bad at the whole "shoot, move. and communicate" thing. The individual guys I talk to who come out to 29 Palms to train seem pretty cool and laid back, but god help you if you ever have to actually deploy with your unit.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Reservist infantry battalions are really bad at the whole "shoot, move. and communicate" thing. The individual guys I talk to who come out to 29 Palms to train seem pretty cool and laid back, but god help you if you ever have to actually deploy with your unit.

It's been over 5 years since I've done a lane and I don't have any combat experience. I wouldn't be in a position to judge anybody.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
RE: being a reservist.

Expect a given drill weekend to involve being told what to do by the most motarded mother fuckers you ever ran into while active duty, only except everyone sergeant and up will be like that, plus a healthy sprinkling of corporals.

You also will be either constantly be doing something all drill weekend (I.e if you're in the field) with no respite or you will be sitting around the entire time (i.e if you're home drilling) either a) trying to skate if you're a Corporal or below; b) getting pissed of because you are a Corporal who got found by someone with a heavier collar who is for some reason upset that all these Lance corporals are sitting around doing nothing and you need to find something for them to do; or c) hating life and doing a ton of paperwork/waiting for other people to do paperwork so you can do your paperwork/chasing down corporals to do "b" because someone else will/has already gotten mad about Lance corporals sitting around if you're sergeant or higher.

Drill is gay as gently caress.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I remember Charlie Daniels played the 4th of July 2005 in 29 Palms, and he stopped the show to thank some loving army reserve unit that was doing mojave viper for 2 weeks and he hoped they got home to their families soon.

Meanwhile my unit was preparing to go to Fallujah 2 days later. So gently caress the army, and gently caress you charlie daniels.

I was there when they finally banned marines from going to the silver screen. Is that shithole still off limits? I remember once I picked up my shitheel roommate from there in his car. He got in the car and while we were waiting to leave the parking lot, got out, pissed in the backseat of the car, then got back in the front. Once we got back to the barracks he woke up in the middle of the night and pissed in his own wall locker.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

red19fire posted:

I remember Charlie Daniels played the 4th of July 2005 in 29 Palms, and he stopped the show to thank some loving army reserve unit that was doing mojave viper for 2 weeks and he hoped they got home to their families soon.

Meanwhile my unit was preparing to go to Fallujah 2 days later. So gently caress the army, and gently caress you charlie daniels.

I was there when they finally banned marines from going to the silver screen. Is that shithole still off limits? I remember once I picked up my shitheel roommate from there in his car. He got in the car and while we were waiting to leave the parking lot, got out, pissed in the backseat of the car, then got back in the front. Once we got back to the barracks he woke up in the middle of the night and pissed in his own wall locker.

I was in 29 Palms when we came back from OIF 1 and marched in a big parade. They painted a big mural of the Saddam statue getting torn down with an AAV from Delta Tracks on it. We had all the Vietnam vets hugging us and welcoming everyone home.

Also, The Silver Screen closed a long time ago. I don't think there are any clubs left in 29 Palms. However, the Joshua Tree Saloon is an ok dive bar to watch sports in and drink beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This guy was my mentor on and off for four years. Explains why I'm so awesome.

• Locked thread