Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

Villaraigosa should have a number of strong constituencies to draw from .

Those constituents must not include anyone who lived in LA during his tenure, because I don't know a single person that is excited about him running for anything above trashman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Steyer's out. The likelihood of Senator Harris happening is rapidly approaching 100%.

Wouldn't having only two democrats on the ballot be better for Villaraigosa? The odds of it being two democrats on the final ballot are higher if it's a 3 way race between two republicans and two democrats. Villaraigosa has a better chance in a one on one race with Harris in the second round, if he can tack center/right and try to pick up some conservatives or moderates (who no longer have a candidate).

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'd imagine this is exactly what Villaraigosa wants. He just needs to seem to be the viable anti-Harris.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Those constituents must not include anyone who lived in LA during his tenure, because I don't know a single person that is excited about him running for anything above trashman.

Looking at his Wikipedia I am rather surprised he only left office in 2012/13. Also holy poo poo thats a lot of scandals.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

Looking at his Wikipedia I am rather surprised he only left office in 2012/13. Also holy poo poo thats a lot of scandals.
I would rather elect Schwarzenegger over Tony V. That's how much of a chucklefuck he is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha he failed the bar four times according to Wikipedia.

I only remember that "put God & pro-Israel back in platform" DNC verbal vote thing where tons of people were like "NO!" and eventually he just said "it passes!"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I had forgotten that it had happened, remembering only the John McCain by acclaimation thing the Republicans did in 2008 instead as the only blatant non-democratic vote at a convention. The fact that both occurred during publicly funded events is, in itself, scandalous to me. If parties want to bend rules during their own time that is fine with me but when they are doing things with millions of dollars of state and local money they had better do stuff to the letter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cliff Racer posted:

I had forgotten that it had happened, remembering only the John McCain by acclaimation thing the Republicans did in 2008 instead as the only blatant non-democratic vote at a convention. The fact that both occurred during publicly funded events is, in itself, scandalous to me. If parties want to bend rules during their own time that is fine with me but when they are doing things with millions of dollars of state and local money they had better do stuff to the letter.

Voice vote is 'by the letter', it's even used in congress and the senate.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't think it was that scandalous I just thought it was a very Larry David moment that would have been awkward for pretty much anyone and was kind of funny. Like yeah I wish it wasn't in the 2012 platform but a voice votes on controversial things is a pretty bad idea.

I do judge him for failing the bar four times. Less for failing it and more for going back a third and fourth time and still failing it... that is pretty Dunning-Krugerish.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Voice votes aren't "undemocratic," they're the default for everything everywhere. Recorded individual votes only happen if somebody requests it. Choosing the nominee by acclamation at a convention is standard because it conveys a sense of unanimity.

No rules were bent. You're going too far out of your way to find things to complain about.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

Voice vote is 'by the letter', it's even used in congress and the senate.

Yeah, its by the letter, but the vote was purposely called incorrectly both times. Looking back I remember watching the DNC convention at the time and ayes and nays were not evenly voiced, nay kicked aye's rear end.

edit: And choosing the president by acclamation is not standard, typically every state gets up and does its thing as a publicity measure for the state parties/reward for the party loyalists chosen as delegates.

Come to think of it, I don't think McCain was done by full acclamation, it might have been an issue of certain states misreporting their delegations as all voting McCain when some individual delegates did not in fact agree to do that.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Jan 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They did the state-by-state delegation voting at the DNC both times with Obama. It was supposed to start during the network broadcast in 2012 right after Clinton's speech, but that went a bit long and they didn't start the vote until after midnight.

Neither Romney nor McCain were nominated unanimously, thanks to Ron Paul.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Speaking of voice votes, remember the minor clusterfuck at the DNC in 2012 over Israel/Palestine? Good times.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, that's what started this, since Villarigosa was the chair at the time of those voice votes. None of the delegates even attempted a motion for the yeas and nays though, so their loss - not that the motion would have been recognized.

By the way, if you want to get super :spergin: about convention tallies, The Green Papers is the place to go. I had forgotten that Romney got two delegate votes at the 2008 RNC, but they did not forget.

quote:

6. The Utah chairman originally called Mitt Romney "George Romney" then quickly corrected himself. The 2 Romney votes from Utah were announced aloud by the Chair.

edit: I had also forgotten that the state-by-state vote at the 2008 DNC was maneuvered in such a way (delegations can "pass") that the New York delegation was the one that put Obama over 50% and that Hillary led the delegation by offering a motion to suspend the vote and nominate Obama by acclamation, in "the spirit of unity".

Joementum has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jan 24, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joementum posted:

They did the state-by-state delegation voting at the DNC both times with Obama. It was supposed to start during the network broadcast in 2012 right after Clinton's speech, but that went a bit long and they didn't start the vote until after midnight.

Neither Romney nor McCain were nominated unanimously, thanks to Ron Paul.

I believe in 2008 halfway through Clinton called for Obama to recieve the nomination by acclimation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

I believe in 2008 halfway through Clinton called for Obama to recieve the nomination by acclimation.

She did. It was by and large an agreement between both parties to save face. The vote made it look like Clinton still had a chance, and publicly calling it off for Obama herself made Clinton look graceful in defeat.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

edit: I had also forgotten that the state-by-state vote at the 2008 DNC was maneuvered in such a way (delegations can "pass") that the New York delegation was the one that put Obama over 50% and that Hillary led the delegation by offering a motion to suspend the vote and nominate Obama by acclamation, in "the spirit of unity".

Yeah, it was an extremely funny bit of political theater. I remember Hillary having a very impressive fake smile during the announcement.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That was great. Some state or the other (since iirc they were going alphabetically) yielded to New York, and there was seriously a bumrush of people. Clinton took the microphone looking like she was heading a punk show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Former Governor Ted Strickland (D) will challenge Rob Portman for the 2016 Ohio Senate seat. The race probably still leans Portman, but this was about the strongest possible recruitment the Dems could have gotten and the seat has gone from Safe R to competitive.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-strickland-run-for-senate-rob-portman

quote:

Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland (D) will run for Senate next year, challenging Sen. Rob Portman, according to The Vindicator of Youngstown, Ohio.

The Ohio paper cites sources close to Strickland, and writes that attempts to reach Strickland himself were not returned.

Strickland is arguably one of the most well-known Democrats in the state who could challenge Portman. The former Ohio governor currently runs the Center for American Progress Action Fund in Washington D.C. One source told the Vindicator that Strickland will resign from the liberal organization to run for Senate.

Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld (D) has already announced his candidacy to run against Portman.

Portman himself is gearing up for his re-election fight. He recently hired GOP operative Corry Bliss, who came in to rescue Sen. Pat Roberts' (R-KS) 2014 re-election campaign, to run the Ohio campaign.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
On Bob Menendez's Clashes with Obama

I can sympathize with mcmagic here. This article paints a really unflattering portrait of Menendez.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It doesn't make him look all that bad to me. The worst part was the corruption investigation and him blaming it on Cuban spies but the article spent just a single sentence on that before moving on to bland politics. Why not elaborate? Did that investigation come to nothing? Was there really any indication that Cuban agents were involved? How did Obama react to the public revelation of the investigation?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Re: Kay Hagan

It is generally thought among those who matter in NC Democratic politics (namely, no one wasting time on work in the actual NCDP) that she's not worth wasting time on again and would be invisible on the stump next to Hillary and AG "If you price gouge in a hurricane, I will shove hot dildos up your rear end" Cooper in 2016. Foxx is needed to round out the diversity.

Among "activists," it has been proposed that William Barber run, which would go about as well as any campaign by a man who, while committed to decent work, looks and sounds like Wesley Willis would be expected to go.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah I don't think anybody except Beltway idiots have suggested that she take another run. Pretty sure she's fallen back on her piles of real estate money and consulting/lobbying.

Tangentially, I wonder if Burr attaching himself to the literally copypasted Obamacare replacement bill is the beginning of trying to raise his profile, considering probably 3/4 of voters have no clue who he is. And that's likely his biggest challenge going into 2016, despite winning twice as ENTER_CANDIDATE_NAME_HERE.

Also haha holy poo poo the idea of Barber running would be the best, if only because he's a hell of a lot smarter and quick-witted than he comes off at first glance. Of course he'd never do it since that's not his thing, but gently caress he'd run circles around Burr in debate.

Alec Bald Snatch has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Feb 8, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Still waiting on Andy Ball to run against Virginia Foxx...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure to defeat Foxx one just has to source a properly blessed hagstone from a moonlit holler, then toss it off the Linn Cove viaduct when the Brown Mountain lights are most visible.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Russ Feingold is leaving the State Department. Naturally, pundits are wondering if this foretells a Johnson/Feingold rematch.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
So that's where he has been. Hope he runs+ wins.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Russ Feingold is leaving the State Department. Naturally, pundits are wondering if this foretells a Johnson/Feingold rematch.

Russ Feingold was at the State Department?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ComradeCosmobot posted:

After what seems like a century of Scott Walker, we could use Russ back.

Granted he would be at more of a National level, but still.

Although with the way he went out, he'd be well within his rights to shoot us the middle finger as he drives away, laughing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Feingold gonna ride in on a golden chariot and liberate his people from the shackles of the Koch Brothers' slavery

Please? :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Missouri's Democratic Secretary of State, Jason Kander, has announced that he'll challenge Roy Blunt in 2016.

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is rumored to be planning a run in FL against Rubio.

Joementum has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Feb 21, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Joementum posted:

Missouri's Democratic Secretary of State, Jason Kander, has announced that he'll challenge Roy Blunt in 2016.

quote:

Wasserman Schultz has a different sense of herself. According to people who spoke with her, when she sensed Obama was considering replacing her as chair in 2013, she began to line up supporters to suggest the move was both anti-woman and anti-Semitic.

:stare:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gotta admire her at one level. That's how politics is played. She wanted to keep her job.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Every election in Florida is a choice between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

You know who else once ousted a party chairman....

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haha that makes Obama mocking her to her face all the better.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Haha that makes Obama mocking her to her face all the better.

When was this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Was she talked into this by a donor?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Oh God, please make this happen. I won't ask for anything else all year. Thank you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ufarn posted:

Was she talked into this by a donor?

She was talked into it by everyone who wants her out of her party position.

Kander announcing against Blunt is no surprise. Just don't look at Kander's stance on racial issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Pat Murphy would probably win in a primary though I don't know, she has to have amassed some sort of organization while heading the DCCC or whatever it was she was in charge of.

• Locked thread