Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Botes appear to be a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: BOTES BOTES BOTES BOTES BOTES :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

OSad posted:

Those T-55A missions are going to be a doozy. See you all in six months or so!

You know the StuG arty mission where you have to hit 2 tanks with one shot? The T28 Concept mission is hit 3 tanks with one shot. T55 mission...hit 4? Then....5?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:frogsiren: BOTES PROGRESS RETAINED, I HAVE A CARRIER BITCHES. :frogsiren:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Strobe posted:

:frogsiren: BOTES PROGRESS RETAINED, I HAVE A CARRIER BITCHES. :frogsiren:

That is awesome news. I was afraid we'd have to start from scratch.

How are the carriers so far?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are a grand total of 2 ships in the bot battle queue, and I'm testing this thing out against bots before I flail impotently at real botes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dalael posted:

How are the carriers so far?
Can you carry games with them? :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Poil posted:

Can you carry games with them? :v:

Maybe. Can you?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
WoT Blitz seems to be asking for beta testers for am unnamed WG PC game. Botes probably. Just posting so anybody who is still looking to get in might apply through that avenue.

Here's the post for the NA server:

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/11765-wanted-beta-testers/page__fromsearch__1

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Why is the botes channel password protected?

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Woop botes time, is there a chat client and is it the same as tonks?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I have played botes for an entire battle, and I already want faster ships.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OSad posted:

I have played botes for an entire battle, and I already want faster ships.
Holy poo poo I am in love with destroyers. You're made of paper but way more manuverable and torpedoes are godly.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

Winter showdown details are up on the EU page. Event's on for two weeks starting this monday. Depending on how bad the mode is it could be an alright way to train up a new US heavy/russian light/french td crew.

quote:

If, after playing in the game mode, any elements of the interface go missing, please remove any and all mods you may have installed.

sure, that's convenient

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Haha yes we get to keep our progress from last time. Straight to carriers then.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Holy poo poo I am in love with destroyers. You're made of paper but way more manuverable and torpedoes are godly.

I just got the Tachibana. And unloaded two torpedos onto the side of some hapless cruiser for nearly 7000 damage.

Holy poo poo. These guys gunning for Battleships and Carriers are doing it all wrong.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
destroyers rock. did 56k damage with torpedos last game :D

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Just wait until you set up a perfect ambush on a higher-tier BB and blow it away with a point-blank torp spread, before he even realises you're there.

Or until you get one of the destroyers with tubes on both sides, and dive between a pair of oblivious BBs and sink both simultaneously.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

rossmum posted:

Just wait until you set up a perfect ambush on a higher-tier BB and blow it away with a point-blank torp spread, before he even realises you're there.

Or until you get one of the destroyers with tubes on both sides, and dive between a pair of oblivious BBs and sink both simultaneously.

Stop, I can't get any more erect.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

rossmum posted:

Remind me to stay well clear of your destroyers if you're on the opposite team :eek:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Gervasius posted:

I'm conflicted about not being able to name ships whatever you want. On one hand, I'll never drive USS Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall but on the other hand, there won't be a ton of WAFFENSSFLOTTEBISMARCK shitlords.

:hfive: sup Iain M Banks buddy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

rossmum posted:

Some testers are of a mind that torps are overpowered at point-blank ranges and that they should have a 'run time to arm' mechanic to prevent it, or the explosions should potentially damage the launching vessel if they're too close.

...these people are idiots.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Some testers are of a mind that torps are overpowered at point-blank ranges and that they should have a 'run time to arm' mechanic to prevent it, or the explosions should potentially damage the launching vessel if they're too close.

I could imagine a run time to arm mechanic. You'd then be able to totally ignore it, on pain of blowing up if you get your torps critted.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

:hfive: sup Iain M Banks buddy

After today we can argue that Just Read the Intructions and Of Course I Still Love You are historical ship names.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Actually, run time to arm seems perfectly logical to me. It gives a minimum safe distance for torpedo explosions and reaction time for whatever the target bote is doing. Then again, I am a bote sperg and have been playing Silent Hunter 3 for almost a decade now...

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Strobe posted:

Why is the botes channel password protected?

Something something NDA?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Missing Name posted:

Actually, run time to arm seems perfectly logical to me. It gives a minimum safe distance for torpedo explosions and reaction time for whatever the target bote is doing. Then again, I am a bote sperg and have been playing Silent Hunter 3 for almost a decade now...

SH:GW represent. I bought SH5 on release and I was really disappointed as I'm sure just about everyone was. I wonder if there's any way to fix that shitheap. Man, Ubi is great at making GBS threads out a game then simply abandoning it because its first 3 months on the market didn't go well (because it is a poo poo game).

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What tactical situation requires the poppin of smoke? Usually I see people who don't know what it is pop it right at the beginning of battle, and then never again.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OSad posted:

What tactical situation requires the poppin of smoke? Usually I see people who don't know what it is pop it right at the beginning of battle, and then never again.
Smoke can either screen your team from enemy fire or get you out of sticky situations. Remember if you fire you'll still light up, but popping smoke and changing course can give you the breathing room you need to torpedo their rear end.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Man if they play to their strengths and I let them they should get arbitrarily punished.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Missing Name posted:

Run time to arm is not only logical, but more realistic.

As a gameplay mechanic, it also gives a better chance for slow lumbering targets like BB's. The way things currently stands, torpedoes are a bit over powered imho. They pack a lot of punch, reload fast enough, and plenty of them can be dropped in the water in a short amount of time. At close range its too devastating. I have no proposed solution as to how to fix them, but something needs to be done.

Regarding Silent Hunter 3, is there a way to make the screen bigger? I recently bought it on steam and it kinda bugs me that the fullscreen mode doesn't cover half my screen (then again, I play on a 40in tv) I used to love that game and wouldn't mind going back to it.

xthetenth posted:

Man if they play to their strengths and I let them they should get arbitrarily punished.

Its not just a matter of playing to their strength. Torpedoes are currently a bit overpowered. Its not really that they do too much damage. I think there's just too many of them in the water at any given time. There are some match in which Cruisers and Battleship do nothing but try to avoid torpedoes and can barely take the time to shoot at stuff.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Whats with all this boat talk are you all sailors now

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Torps do feel a bit broken. But really you need to focus out DDs early when they are spotted because they are deadly. Also everyone is floating around in a Langley and I don't know how they work or what they have on them, but mannnnn does it feel like people are loving awful in them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They are.

I'm not, but most people are.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Botes are fun. Time to type sea shanties in team chat.

Overwined posted:

SH:GW represent. I bought SH5 on release and I was really disappointed as I'm sure just about everyone was. I wonder if there's any way to fix that shitheap. Man, Ubi is great at making GBS threads out a game then simply abandoning it because its first 3 months on the market didn't go well (because it is a poo poo game).

SH5 had potential There are a lot of mods out there on the subsim forums, but it takes a lot of work to make it a decent game.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Someone give me the botes channel pw, you bastards. I am sitting in the lobby like a lubber.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Also, the crew thing makes me extremely excited. I can recycle some of my t10 loaders into commanders with their two skills. IE, I can recycle them into sixth sense wielding commanders when a new branch is released without wanting to stab my eyes out training up such a crew. The loss of a loader to just 100% is really not that noticed. Radio operator too, but I don't think I have many radio operators in my t10 tanks.

Just keep in mind 6th is eventually moving to the Radioman as a base ability. I wouldn't spend too much gold on the retraining any earlier than necessary.

Illegal Carrot posted:

What are some profitable non-premium tanks, and could they ever hope to earn as much at something like the Jag8.8?

The JT88 will be more profitable than pretty much anything from the tech tree, but typically tier 5-6 TT tanks are considered moneymakers for those that don't have premium ones. You generally look for a tank with a good gun and cheap shells. Something like a Hellcat at tier 6 fits those criteria, but not the SU-100, because while the latter is very good the 122 shells are expensive. (122 shells do less than twice the damage of the 90 mm ones but cost more than twice as much.) Look for something that doesn't require you to fire many/any premium shells. Or just shoot HE, it's cheaper, and does more damage too! :eyepop:

Saint Celestine posted:

Or. Or maybe they just made it really really hard so that not every pubbie can get one.

I just recently pulled off what would have been heavy mission 15, for 16k combined damage done and absorbed, in my E100.

Well seeing as you're easily in the top 10 in any metric you're not quite the best metric of the ability of the average player. :toot:

It's not that difficult missions are bad, rather that luck-based ones are annoying. How often can you repeat that 16k damage dealt/received?

If we could complete the missions simply by playing well, that would be fine, but when you have to wait for certain conditions to be met in the first place, then hope the battle plays out just right, that's a pain in the rear end. Having to "activate" the missions manually is the poo poo-frosting on the cake.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Crossposting from PANSY thread because goddamn:

He has a big house, a boat, and a 35k custom Harley.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I don't know what's more fun in botes. Watching pubbies run aground or torpedoing enemy ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

Crossposting from PANSY thread because goddamn:

He has a big house, a boat, and a 35k custom Harley.

You forgot a tiny cock.