Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're right. Op get a fast 80s beater (rx7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

His primary transport right now is walking two blocks to work and back. He's in a really good position to be wrenching on his primary transport vehicle.

leica posted:

You're right. Op get a fast 80s beater (rx7)

I did specify "isn't a total basket case"

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

I think this sentiment is wrong. He's not good at cars, but he wants to get good at cars. Buying an interesting beater (i.e. 80s or 90s cheap fast car that isn't a total basket case) makes a lot of sense in this case.

This. I think you'll find that most of us did not know how to work on cars before we learned how to work on cars.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Lightbulb Out posted:

How many pages did it take to get this guy to replace his negative terminal?

He already has a basket case. Let's start with something that's in good shape first. In a lot of cases that is not an E30.

If he finds a good one in that price, jump on it. But as someone who owns two, it's not something I recommend to someone without a lot more resources than Sperglord has.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sperglord should not buy any car that's a basket case regardless of make/model.

He works 2 blocks from his house, so he can afford to take his time to buy the right car. Op obviously wants a kickin rad 80's sports car. This is AI, who's to say he can't have it all? I think he should take a month or few and wait for a fairly priced & good mustang gt, e30, 3g celica, miata (if he can fit in one comfortably) or other fun NA manual car of his liking. For his own sake he should buy the car somewhere a goon can go look at it for him, which right now means Washington or Illinois. Although if op found something really promising in Oregon I would probably go drive out and look at it for some gas money.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 23, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

This. I think you'll find that most of us did not know how to work on cars before we learned how to work on cars.

On one hand, I agree with you. We all learned somewhere, and for most of us that was from reading poo poo on the internet and staring, frustrated, at our broken cars.

On the other hand, it requires motivation. You have to be out there actually trying to figure out what's wrong with the thing, not sitting on your hands waiting for viggen to mail you the tools you need for free, and then for the local goons to come over to your house and force you to do something, anything, with the car.

I guess I'm being kind of mean to SF, but I haven't been convinced yet that he really has what it takes to own something old and cool. He took it to a mechanic because he didn't notice that the alt/WP belt was completely missing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

He took it to a mechanic because he didn't notice that the alt/WP belt was completely missing.
Yes, but he cared about the problem, and he learned what an alt/wp belt is.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Is the rust really such a problem?

I mean the chance of writing off the car in a blaze of glory DK parking garage drift are pretty high anyways.
Instead of taking a $1500+ hit on it, he should learn to wrench on it since he already has it.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
^^^ It's enough of a problem that it isn't worth putting any money into the car

I wouldn't want to work on my car either if i had zero mechanical knowledge or experience and it was a total loving basketcase like the 300zx.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

Yes, but he cared about the problem, and he learned what an alt/wp belt is.

But the problem isn't specifically that he didn't know the one thing, it's that he didn't have the ability to open the hood, look at what was there, and realize what the problem was. This is definitely something that is needed if he's going to own something old and cool. It requires curiosity and the ability to understand the things you see and hear. How many times have you saved something from failing catastrophically because you noticed that the car sounds slightly different than usual? Even if you don't know what the problem is, you need to be willing to go "that ain't right", open the hood, and survey the situation. That is the problem, as I see it, not that he didn't know about that specific thing.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
You really need a Miata, they are simple to work on, parts are everywhere and cheap. Parts are light, I've changed clutches without a transmission jack. It will teach you to be a better driver. you can afford one that isn't 20+ years old.

I like E30s but the newest are as old as the oldest Miatas, the wiring harnesses are getting crumbly, the engine weighs quite a bit and is canted to the side making the exhaust hard to get at. Some jobs are still pretty expensive on them.

You could get alot of Mustang for your dollar in your area but they are big heavy and torquey.

The heaviest miata was 2500 pounds, the early ones were barely over 2000; third and fourth gen Mustangs are 3000 to 3500 any with a v8 will be pushing closer to the 3500 end.

If you really need the 80's look find a non-trashed aw11. for $4500 you can probably get the nicest N/A around or a middle of the road S/C.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4839937425.html

Go buy this car, do it now. Have it inspected. Looks like it has a little dent in the front corner.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raluek posted:

But the problem isn't specifically that he didn't know the one thing, it's that he didn't have the ability to open the hood, look at what was there, and realize what the problem was. This is definitely something that is needed if he's going to own something old and cool. It requires curiosity and the ability to understand the things you see and hear. How many times have you saved something from failing catastrophically because you noticed that the car sounds slightly different than usual? Even if you don't know what the problem is, you need to be willing to go "that ain't right", open the hood, and survey the situation. That is the problem, as I see it, not that he didn't know about that specific thing.

Yeah, this. I didn't know poo poo about BMWs before I started looking to buy one and actually owned one. I've probably spent 400+ hours over the last couple of years just reading about E30s and that has bailed me out quite a few times. Sperglord, whatever you end up buying if you wind up selling the z31 you have to be proactive about poo poo. If there's a Bentley manual or something for your car you should find a copy and at the very least read about the maintenance schedules and how to do stuff like change the oil and the air filters and poo poo.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Op's a big dude, he should go sit in a Miata before he goes and buys one in Portland, but otherwise I agree. If OP can deal with a 2 seater with a small trunk, the miata is just-as, if not more fun than an e30, a bit easier to work on (they are both easy cars though,) with cheaper parts, more parts availability, and more junkyard availability. The e30 suggestion is pretty much a compromise of the miata suggestion, trading off all that for a roomier interior/back seat/huge trunk. At the end of the day they're both fun, reliable, lightweight 5sp rwd cars that are easy to work on.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I'm 6 foot near 220lbs. I guess my Miata just felt real big after driving an Austin Healey sprite around. Not saying it will work for everyone but I daily drove one and liked it, My brother who is taller then me but skinny had no problem either. Now that I think of it though I did cut an inch of foam out of the drivers seat so I could see stop lights better. Wanting rear seats is part of why I got rid of it though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

HEY VAPER posted:

Op's a big dude, he should go sit in a Miata before he goes and buys one in Portland, but otherwise I agree. If OP can deal with a 2 seater with a small trunk, the miata is just-as, if not more fun than an e30, a bit easier to work on (they are both easy cars though,) with cheaper parts, more parts availability, and more junkyard availability. The e30 suggestion is pretty much a compromise of the miata suggestion, trading off all that for a roomier interior/back seat/huge trunk. At the end of the day they're both fun, reliable, lightweight 5sp rwd cars that are easy to work on.

He's smaller than me, and I fit into a second gen miata no problem.

Raluek posted:

"That ain't right" requires a modicum of familiarity. If you were looking at a video of abdominal surgery with no prior knowledge, you'd just see a bunch of red squishy stuff. A doctor, even a doctor who specializes somewhere else, would be thinking, "where the hell is the gall bladder? Why is the liver so swollen? That ain't right."

A few years ago, I was driving my 24 Hours of Lemons car (also a Z31, also a basket case) from Atlanta to the South Carolina Motorsports Park. The water pump seized and the radiator fan pinged around the engine bay for a little bit. According to several people afterwards, I should have noticed a growling sound from the water pump before that happened, and gone "that ain't right". I didn't, because I was exhausted and completely unfamiliar with the platform. The fan went walkabout, but we got an expensive tow and stayed up until 3 AM fixing the drat thing and now I know.

Dude's definitely learning. It's hard starting from 0.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ so what your saying is he needs a Subaru wagon with a five speed. Easy problems and a great learning platform for getting into cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

Don't buy a starion, I can't think of a car with more turbo lag and a more underwhelming delivery. I had a starion phase for a while and I'm telling you: don't do it, they're slow as poo poo and a lot of work. Super cool looking cars though.

Yeah don't listen to this guy. Prelude? Is300? Teggys? a loving Ford Probe? There's no way this can be a real serious post.

Uhhhh, what's wrong with Integras? If you want a cheap to run reliable car that can still fit 4-5 people* and has reasonable space but is also a decent performer you could do a lot worse than a RS, LS, or LS Special 3rd gen Integra or a Second gen RS/LS/GS.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 24, 2015

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I think this sentiment is wrong. He's not good at cars, but he wants to get good at cars. Buying an interesting beater (i.e. 80s or 90s cheap fast car that isn't a total basket case) makes a lot of sense in this case.

The problem with this post is it took him like a month to change a battery cable.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, back from work, and now with new interesting relevant info!

Talked with guy at Steak and Shake that wants my car super bad (I didn't tell him about the rust, gently caress if I care about his rear end. At this point, it's my rear end or his, and I sure don't want my rear end burned).

He's definitely still up for buying it, told him my fiancee got knocked up and we need money.

Hoping to at least get $3000 from him, I think I can manage that. Told him $4000, with negotiations possible, and he didn't seem against the price.

So far, my plan is to save up and actually fly out with a Chicago Auto Goon (I pay for the ticket) to Seattle/Portland/LA/SanFran in the Spring (or earlier, depending on circumstances and how they work) whatever and drive back a car in working condition. I am perfectly willing to wait and save up, and there's a solid tidy $6,000 check coming my way shortly, so this isn't entirely out of the question. Looking at about $5000 or less for the car in question.

Edit:

Next thread title: "A Series Of Hopefully Better Choices".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

The problem with this post is it took him like a month to change a battery cable.

Eh, some of that is no doubt confidence. I don't think I would have been able to replace a negative battery cable solo when I had my first car.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Military money = motorcycle.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Quite A Tool posted:

Military money = motorcycle.

Being on a bicycle alone terrifies me. Going fast in a car, I feel safe as hell. Motorcycles scare the PISS out of me, and I have no idea how to ride one.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Human Grand Prix posted:

Uhhhh, what's wrong with Integras? If you want a cheap to run reliable car that can still fit 4-5 people* and has reasonable space but is also a decent performer you could do a lot worse than a RS, LS, or LS Special 3rd gen Integra or a Second gen RS/LS/GS.

It's mainly what comes to mind when I think "manual integra previous owner." Nothing wrong with them, I just think the ratio of good ones to integras that were not previously owned by a 16 year old shadetree ebay mechanic are a bit on the slim side. Maybe it's different where he lives, but manual integras are universally beat to poo poo here. From what I've seen, the best way to get an unfucked integra is to buy a grandma-owned auto and swap the transmission, but there's no way Sperglord could do that. Plus I was trying to stick to recommending him cars vaguely similar to the 300zx that he could actually handle owning.

So basically, sorry for lumping the integra in with the other bad suggestions. fwiw if he can find a good one, it's actually a really good choice for his needs and a good compromise between sporty and idiot proof (if he stays away from lovely parts) so long as he's fine with a FWD car.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So far, my plan is to save up and actually fly out with a Chicago Auto Goon (I pay for the ticket) to Seattle/Portland/LA/SanFran in the Spring (or earlier, depending on circumstances and how they work) whatever and drive back a car in working condition. I am perfectly willing to wait and save up, and there's a solid tidy $6,000 check coming my way shortly, so this isn't entirely out of the question. Looking at about $5000 or less for the car in question.

This sounds like a v sensible approach. If you end up finding any cars you're serious about vaguely around Seattle or Tacoma, I don't mind checking them out and posting some pictures & trip report before you drop the money on traveling. I'm sure there's other west coast goons willing to do the same for other areas.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

HEY VAPER posted:

It's mainly what comes to mind when I think "manual integra previous owner." Nothing wrong with them, I just think the ratio of good ones to integras that were not previously owned by a 16 year old shadetree ebay mechanic are a bit on the slim side. Maybe it's different where he lives, but manual integras are universally beat to poo poo here. From what I've seen, the best way to get an unfucked integra is to buy a grandma-owned auto and swap the transmission, but there's no way Sperglord could do that. Plus I was trying to stick to recommending him cars vaguely similar to the 300zx that he could actually handle owning.

So basically, sorry for lumping the integra in with the other bad suggestions. fwiw if he can find a good one, it's actually a really good choice for his needs and a good compromise between sporty and idiot proof (if he stays away from lovely parts) so long as he's fine with a FWD car.

TBH, I would be perfectly fine with an Integra, but pretty much that. I'm trying to avoid iffy PO fuckery this time, and most Integras seem to be in the category of "2FAST2FURIOUS LETS DO poo poo TO IT" rather than "eeeeh, let's keep it stock".

There was a really neat 1987 Integra that I wanted to pick up, but it vanished, like the 1987 200SX that I wanted before as well.\

Edit:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4855696478.html

holy crap holy crap holy crap if that thing is running and in good mechanical condition and not rusted out completely.....

fishception fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 24, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

TBH, I would be perfectly fine with an Integra, but pretty much that. I'm trying to avoid iffy PO fuckery this time, and most Integras seem to be in the category of "2FAST2FURIOUS LETS DO poo poo TO IT" rather than "eeeeh, let's keep it stock".

There was a really neat 1987 Integra that I wanted to pick up, but it vanished, like the 1987 200SX that I wanted before as well.

Early model integras are awesome, one of my bucket list 80s cars.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
OP should buy a 3000GT VR4.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can always look for stuff in all of the southern states, not just the west coast.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4858684753.html

On the other hand, this ad strikes home.

quote:

This rear engine sports car devours the road like ET devoured Reese's Pieces.

Sorry, what's that? You can't drive a stick? How are you even standing upright?

There are no cup holders - cup holders are for sissies. Next you'll be wanting an automatic transmission or a new unitard. Your hip flask wouldn't fit in a cup holder anyway.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That is a pretty great ad.

Edit: those cars are supposedly dangerous as gently caress if you arent used to rear engine rwd layout.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Again, if I can get that S110, that would be AWESOME.

Edit:

I'm dumb, I don't see a blow-off valve, not turbo.

fishception fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

G-Mach posted:

3000GT VR4.

evo 5 from canada with a mirage vin swap

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Again, if I can get that S110, that would be AWESOME.

Edit:

I'm dumb, I don't see a blow-off valve, not turbo.

I'm 90% certain that a Blow-off vavle is not a requirement of having a turbo. :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
... It's not? Okay, then that might be a Z18ET engine in there.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

... It's not? Okay, then that might be a Z18ET engine in there.

Nope. Follow the intake from the left side of the engine. Big silver thing is the intake manifold. Move from there towards the front of the car, it goes 90° towards the drivers side in front of the engine and then connects to that short chode-like piece of ugly blue silicon hose, then the weird flat black plastic intake box thing in front of the engine, then a 90 down and a 90 to the driver front corner where the black air filter box is. If there were a turbo you'd see a snail in that line somewhere.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, I see what you mean, I follow you.

It's a Z20E engine, just looked up the image.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

I know I said a mr2 would probably kill you, but you should blind buy this and post the results.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
To be honest, this is also a very real possibility.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4851004104.html

Isuzu Impulse, AFAIK, is like the slightly less hot cousin of the AE86 that can be had for much much cheaper.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
dude if your worried about a rusty car I would stay away from Nissan and Isuzu those things rusted when they set foot into America. i have seen rust on nissans all over merica. Look for a starion or dodge version..or maybe ive ripped to many bongs tonight and that's one in the same......you could always get a 1st gen turbo talon......ENNNFFFFFFFFF......or find a sweet old escort gt. five speed fun in a small package is what you want. but from someone who has had Nissan rust take its toll in blood STAY AWAY FROM THAT poo poo COMPANY!!!!! gently caress Nissan and infiniti. Look at a Toyota celica of older vintage. RWD FIve speed four cylinder that ways close to the body weight.

edit: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/4828845113.html UNFFFFFFF convertible for ferris bueller style hijinks

edit part duex: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4859330584.html a weekend of warmth a garage and an LS3 plus beer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be honest, this is also a very real possibility.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4851004104.html

Isuzu Impulse, AFAIK, is like the slightly less hot cousin of the AE86 that can be had for much much cheaper.

No, it's not. Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Oh, he's also in 540i 6 speed territory. Maybe even e39 540i 6 speed territory. Or really clean i6 e39 w/ new cooling system territory..
I bet this dude would take 6.5k and this thing is sweet as hell. The interior/exterior combo is one of my favorites and p rare. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=342625
Cool cheap celica, I don't know much about these but this looks promising http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4841831404.html
Unfucked supposedly garaged miata with no price http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4856512981.html
There were a bunch of other decent looking miatas but I don't know enough about them.
comedy option http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4823307253.html

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 24, 2015

• Locked thread