Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Do motorcycle helmets protect you from (bow) headshots, or are they just cosmetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know they provide some level of protection, but I've never been at full health and taken an arrow to the head with a helmet

Its probably minimal, so you could survive a headshot from a 1911 at least

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.
They let you survive one shot if you have 100% hp.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Bow headshots will kill you in one shot, but with a helmet you can take two I believe. The helmet durability goes to 0 after taking any shots, and then any subsequent headshot would kill you. Not sure about how bulky the helmets are but would be pretty funny to be have a few in the backpack and switch them out when shot in the face.

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
Any other subsequent shot will kill you due to having ~20% hp. Unless of course I'm forgetting how much damage an arrow does to you.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Dangit I just read the OP and some Steam reviews. After pre-ordering War Z and spending a ton of time in that game having fun with goons in spite of its awfulness, I was hoping this game would recreate the fun but actually be good. Alternatively I would love a decent zombie survival sandbox game that I can play co-op with a friend, where we wouldn't have to worry about getting murdered by other players, hacking or otherwise, but maybe could trade with them and interact? The OP mentions PvE servers, can anyone speak to how this would play without the PvP element? If you do die to a bear or tripping on glitched terrain how much of a hassle is it to meet up with a friend who didn't die?

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.

davebo posted:

Dangit I just read the OP and some Steam reviews. After pre-ordering War Z and spending a ton of time in that game having fun with goons in spite of its awfulness, I was hoping this game would recreate the fun but actually be good. Alternatively I would love a decent zombie survival sandbox game that I can play co-op with a friend, where we wouldn't have to worry about getting murdered by other players, hacking or otherwise, but maybe could trade with them and interact? The OP mentions PvE servers, can anyone speak to how this would play without the PvP element? If you do die to a bear or tripping on glitched terrain how much of a hassle is it to meet up with a friend who didn't die?

Depends on how far away you spawn and how willing you are to run.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Roghie posted:

Depends on how far away you spawn and how willing you are to run.

Well that's what I mean, are there set spawn points and is it random or would they think to include code that maybe doesn't spawn you 8 km away from someone you were partied up with or simply assume you might want to spawn at a point relatively nearby where you last died? Sounds like you're saying it is random. Is there even a party system in this yet or just group up with people and walk together?

Edit: Suboptimal you're here! Okay just tell me yes or no if I need to pay $20 be in this thing with you guys, even if its garbage.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 24, 2015

Cletus Van Damme
May 7, 2008

Wanna buy some cheap starships?

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Supposedly you can find them around as random loot. I have not yet myself.

I found a ticket in a container somewhere a couple of days ago, I suppose somebody could have stashed one there but I couldn't imagine why they would.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

davebo posted:

Well that's what I mean, are there set spawn points and is it random or would they think to include code that maybe doesn't spawn you 8 km away from someone you were partied up with or simply assume you might want to spawn at a point relatively nearby where you last died? Sounds like you're saying it is random. Is there even a party system in this yet or just group up with people and walk together?

Edit: Suboptimal you're here! Okay just tell me yes or no if I need to pay $20 be in this thing with you guys, even if its garbage.

There's no party system yet, there might be in the future but I wouldn't count on spawning on your party if you die as that'd remove a lot of the penalty from dying. I've messed in a PvE server for a bit and it's really hard to die, nothing presents a challenge currently unless you get surprised by a bear.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I learned that if you toss a flare onto an unlit campfire that it'll light it.

Didn't think it would work, but it did.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Stringbean posted:

I learned that if you toss a flare onto an unlit campfire that it'll light it.

Didn't think it would work, but it did.

Doesn't want to work on barbecues though for some reason :(

Actually neither do lighters, but I used one successfully on a campfire

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sappo569 posted:

I have a feeling that this game is going to do in two months what took DayZ SA two years.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Three-Phase posted:

I have a feeling that this game is going to do in two months what took DayZ SA two years.

yea they've been going at an awesome pace so far

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Figures it was only a matter of time before the arrow recipe only made one arrow. Didn't really make sense that it was making 2 to begin with.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sappo569 posted:

Nooooo, my punji stick palace. :(

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trying to figure out their plan by taking out the ground tamper though.

Is it possible to still build bases without it? I haven't bothered trying yet, as bases are huge 'steal!' beacons

Although the metal door fix should help for those not skilled in exploiting the game

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Spawned in earlier (for the second time. I got killed by Goons the first time) and immediately saw another player named Toysrus, who I proceeded to beat to death.

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Is it possible to still build bases without it? I haven't bothered trying yet, as bases are huge 'steal!' beacons

Although the metal door fix should help for those not skilled in exploiting the game

I think they might bring it back after giving it some more rules. People were cutting off roads, placing them in buildings, etc. It was pretty funny. I've definitely seen some of the larger structures on flat ground though, I don't believe it's requred for bases. Not sure what they're going to do with the current tampered ground.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Knightmare posted:

I think they might bring it back after giving it some more rules. People were cutting off roads, placing them in buildings, etc. It was pretty funny. I've definitely seen some of the larger structures on flat ground though, I don't believe it's requred for bases. Not sure what they're going to do with the current tampered ground.

Thought as much, I did someone had tampered the ground extending out over the road like an overpass... can't complain too badly that's the point of alpha

I imagine a server wipe will be coming pretty soon once they get the loot drops figured out

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 3m3 minutes ago

loot should be way better when the servers come up. Maybe too much better if you ask me... but I'm stingy with loot. @kalyper is a giver.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Dare I say that maybe Smedley is letting people other than himself guide things a little bit? Maybe? Nahhhhh.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
He is probably a much better PR person than he used to be if you ask me, but I still hate PR people.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sappo569 posted:

Thought as much, I did someone had tampered the ground extending out over the road like an overpass... can't complain too badly that's the point of alpha

I imagine a server wipe will be coming pretty soon once they get the loot drops figured out

I wouldn't expect a server wipe until they fix the more egregious duping/warping exploits.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Smedley confirmed on Twitter just now that they sold 3 million copies of the Early Access game. Can that be true? If so, eat poo poo EA haters :owned:

Edit: Apparently he's talking about DayZ, looks like I got :downsowned:

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 24, 2015

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

He is probably a much better PR person than he used to be if you ask me, but I still hate PR people.

Smedley's the President. He's never been in PR. He's awful at it, obviously.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Smedley confirmed on Twitter just now that they sold 3 million copies of the Early Access game. Can that be true? If so, eat poo poo EA haters :owned:

I think he was referring to the DayZ standalone in that tweet, not H1Z1.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Virulence posted:

I think he was referring to the DayZ standalone in that tweet, not H1Z1.

Yep:

quote:

wow just saw an amazing @dayzdevteam info release that they hit 3M units of Early Access sales. Huge congrats on a great game.

Definitely referring to DayZ.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

How is it that you guys are "exploiting" through doors? I came across a base with nobody in it earlier, but it had a fire, a jail, punji sticks at the entrance (literally one thing of them which I jumped over... poor design), barbed wire on concrete barricades before that, a dew collector, and a shack with a locked door that I couldn't get through because I only had a branch at the time.

I can only imagine what they had stockpiled in it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

How is it that you guys are "exploiting" through doors? I came across a base with nobody in it earlier, but it had a fire, a jail, punji sticks at the entrance (literally one thing of them which I jumped over... poor design), barbed wire on concrete barricades before that, a dew collector, and a shack with a locked door that I couldn't get through because I only had a branch at the time.

I can only imagine what they had stockpiled in it.

When you log in to a server, for a few seconds (depending on how lovely your connection/computer is), structures will be invisible. As a result, you can literally just walk through them, since they're "not there" as far as your client is concerned.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

When you log in to a server, for a few seconds (depending on how lovely your connection/computer is), structures will be invisible. As a result, you can literally just walk through them, since they're "not there" as far as your client is concerned.

Hm. They could probably completely fix this by making loot chests lockable as well, so even if you glitched into them you couldn't get into the chest. Then again, that would kind of ruin raids on a base as well.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

Hm. They could probably completely fix this by making loot chests lockable as well, so even if you glitched into them you couldn't get into the chest. Then again, that would kind of ruin raids on a base as well.

They could fix it by including server-side sanity checks on player movement, probably, instead of just putting locks on loving everything, which still wouldn't sort out the fact that people could just glitch through walls and then destroy the boxes they find.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I actually haven't tried that glitch to get into a base yet, I generally avoid bases if I see them.

But I noticed when alt-tabbing out and in for a split second the world is displayed with nothing else loaded, just a quick flicker.

I imagine its the same idea, but I don't think it lasts long enough alt-tabbing to walk forward

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

There are lockable chests I think? I have never seen one so maybe it's not craftable yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

They should probably just hold you in place until everything is loaded. Lockable doors but not lockable storage is a good thing, my favorite part of the game so far was coming upon some dude's stash and breaking an axe and machete to get to it.

If I ever create a stash it'll probably be underground, or I'll create a couple shacks with locked doors in the wilderness somewhere with my actual stash only in one of them.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Locked in place, unable to attack or do anything else but invulnerable for like 5 seconds is probably the easiest way to fix this.

Geometry collision being handled client-side is not really a problem; it is after all, the 'norm'. The problem is dynamic geometry (i.e. player built structures) not being loaded by the time you're actually out of the load screen. The 'right' way to do this would be to force the client to load everything nearby before your character actually spawns in.

Knightmare posted:

If I ever create a stash it'll probably be underground, or I'll create a couple shacks with locked doors in the wilderness somewhere with my actual stash only in one of them.

Someone with a wood axe/fire axe will go through like 10 shacks before it finally breaks.

Also, it takes only one patient person (or group) willing to go through all the shacks for you to lose everything.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Updated my nvidia drivers (THANKS TITAN NERD) and now my game is artifacted for days.

THAT'S REAL COOL.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Liberatore posted:

Someone with a wood axe/fire axe will go through like 10 shacks before it finally breaks.

Also, it takes only one patient person (or group) willing to go through all the shacks for you to lose everything.
Before I logoff I always take the best loot out of my shack and leave the stuff I can afford to lose.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Just stumbled upon a neat base in the woods in the middle of nowhere. They had no doors, but the way they designed it was that you had to walk along a super thin edge of a raised platform with the building built on it and kind of edge yourself along, and the entire underside where you'd fall was filled with punji sticks. I got in and took their wooden bow, which I assume was better than my makeshift bow (which I left him, cause I'm a nice guy).

Sappo569 posted:

I actually haven't tried that glitch to get into a base yet, I generally avoid bases if I see them.

I've walked into 4 or 5 bases now, none of them had people in them except one which had some guy trying to break down a door. He asked me to help him but it broke almost as soon as he said it, but there was no chest inside the locked building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

A couple goons and I actually had to use this method to free ourselves after we tried to secure the Waste Disposal Tunnel by sticking a metal shack in the doorway so that you had to climb through the window to get in. It worked on the way in, but not on the way out. We would have been trapped in there without this bug. On the flipside, the guys who built crapshacks inside the tunnel are probably trapped when they log back in.

Also since not everyone seems to be aware of it, you can apparently destroy every kind of fence with a shotgun, including the metal chainlink ones. I haven't tried other ways of breaking them yet, but it's handy for cutting people off in neighborhoods and chasing them down. However, they seem to be indestructible to vehicles.

• Locked thread