Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black6
Jun 23, 2006
But I'm cold and hungry...

ThePutty posted:

when did al jazeera get so horrifically biased?
Speaking ill of the dead is a culturally unacceptable in the Gulf, don't forget he made progressives strides in his day. Like a lot of reformers and revolutionaries, he was in power long enough to become the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ThePutty posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/01/king-abdullah-saudi-arabia-dies-150122232049573.html

when did al jazeera get so horrifically biased? didn't this guy gently caress over half the arab spring movements with whoever was fundamentalist enough for him to endorse, and they're saying he was a brilliant reformer and a champion of arab nationalism

:laffo:

Al Jazeera is owned and operated by the royal family of Qatar. Of course they're going to write a good obituary for a Saudi king.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ThePutty posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/01/king-abdullah-saudi-arabia-dies-150122232049573.html

when did al jazeera get so horrifically biased? didn't this guy gently caress over half the arab spring movements with whoever was fundamentalist enough for him to endorse, and they're saying he was a brilliant reformer and a champion of arab nationalism

Aljazeera killed itself when Bahrain and Syria happened. threw every bit of credibility it had out the window when Qatar decisively moved in to use it as a foreign policy weapon.

Black6 posted:

Speaking ill of the dead is a culturally unacceptable in the Gulf, don't forget he made progressives strides in his day. Like a lot of reformers and revolutionaries, he was in power long enough to become the bad guy.

haha Wut?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 23, 2015

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah they really dropped the ball on Bahrain coverage. Where do you think they went wrong on Syria?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Qatari government also squelched AJ's coverage of their slavery scandals. Like most news sources, you need to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

I'm glad to hear that "Allahu Akbar" isn't just a war cry for jihadists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Listen to how many times Americans say "oh my god" or a variation of that.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Murderous fanatics all of them!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
The Kurds were not invited to the anti ISIS coalition conference in London and are rightfully pissed:

quote:

“I express my and Kurdistan people’s disappointment with the organizers of this conference and it is unfortunate that the people of Kurdistan do the sacrifice and the credit goes to others,” said Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani in a statement.

Barzani said that Kurdistan was leading the war against ISIS and it deserved to be present in such meetings.

“The people of Kurdistan bear the brunt of this situation and no country or party can represent or truly convey their voice in international gatherings,” he said.

The following countries were invited to the meeting:
In addition to Britain, the US and Iraq, other countries whose representatives participated in the conference were Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

Despite being the strongest force against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, the Kurds were left out while the countries supporting and financeing the terrorists got invitations.

Nice job bowing to Erdogan and alienating the Kurds even further :thumbsup:

inhttp://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/23012015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

In combat footage? Not nearly as much.

Unless the takbir of the US infantryman is "fukken dusted, toss me a rip-it"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

In combat footage? Not nearly as much.

Unless the takbir of the US infantryman is "fukken dusted, toss me a rip-it"

Yeah pretty much. On its face it seems comparable to other forms of divine invocation and religious swearing, but when you start digging into it one sees that its a phenomenon that is fairly unique to Muslim cultures broadly, and to jihadist culture specifically. The closest thing in American culture (because obviously everything needs to be compared to Americans right?) might be something like chanting "USA, USA!" over and over. Though of course that replaces religiosity with nationalism, and lacks the call and response. And that also lacks much of the versatility of meaning of the takbir, particularly in a civilian context.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It probably wouldn't be that hard to find/create a similar thought pattern around 'God Bless America' or 'In God We Trust'.

The parallel behind patriots and jihadis is an important observation of liberal individuals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoM6IFiyRjE

In ideal conditions liberal philosophy abhors group-think, favoring a morally relative vacuum where everything can be regarded in purely objective terms. But if a large enough group of individuals are placed under a common threat, becoming underdogs, it becomes heroic and imperative to create an ideological construct that the individual will kill and die for. In non-ideal conditions individuals have breaks with reality or they latch onto a niche ideological construct and commit acts of 'underdog' violence

The War on Terror has amplified this philosophical dissonance, and other issues such as anti-vax and the climate debate demolish the ideal of objective consensus.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Allahu Akbar is everything from "oh my gosh" to "HOLY loving poo poo."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The-Mole posted:

Allahu Akbar is everything from "oh my gosh" to "HOLY loving poo poo."

Yup.
It scales the entire gamut, from 'Happiest person on earth' to 'standing in the middle of a bombing run' and everything in between.
Guy's wife just successfully went through 13 hours of labour? "Allahu Akbar."
Same guy's father just died? "Allahu Akbar."

There really isn't an equivalent word or phrase for it in English. It's absolutely steeped with cultural meaning and the contexts in which it's used.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

"Holy poo poo" can do all that. Just won the lottery? Holy poo poo! Holding your newborn child for the first time? Holy poo poo. Something nearby explodes? Holy poo poo! Witness a guy shove a pineapple up his rectum? etc etc. It's extremely versatile.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Yeah, but i aint ever heard holy poo poo in a call & response at church.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ThePutty posted:

I'm pretty sure it was always fairly unreliable whenever the middle east was involved but their US reporting was fairly decent compared to the alternatives. I think most agree the arab spring is really where the bias started to become really obvious though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Yeah, but i aint ever heard holy poo poo in a call & response at church.
Lookit this scrub who's never been to a unitarian meeting.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

ReidRansom posted:

"Holy poo poo" can do all that. Just won the lottery? Holy poo poo! Holding your newborn child for the first time? Holy poo poo. Something nearby explodes? Holy poo poo! Witness a guy shove a pineapple up his rectum? etc etc. It's extremely versatile.

Its not really like that at all though.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

papasyhotcakes posted:

Jesús the part of the footage that shows a guy stumbling out of a vehicle with what appears to be the remains of his arm sent chills down my spine.

If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure that's a slung AK-47 he's dragging along.

That's a wild video —— score two direct hits on the armored car, then nail the rescue truck from a further 200 meters away. Lots of shooting discipline as well.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Miltank posted:

Its not really like that at all though.

Obviously I was joking. But there are definitely similar expressions in English. "Glory be" comes to mind. Part of some prayer or another and still used in that context, but among older folk or more religious or insular folk you'll still often hear it or some variation used as an all purpose exclamation as well.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The phrase 'Mother of God' comes to mind as similarly flexible.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cocoa Ninja posted:

If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure that's a slung AK-47 he's dragging along.

That's a wild video —— score two direct hits on the armored car, then nail the rescue truck from a further 200 meters away. Lots of shooting discipline as well.

Almost as if they're a legitimate fighting force. What the gently caress was that last giant explosion? Truck bomb?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

They had pretty nice cammo uniforms as well, I wonder where those came from.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

ephex posted:

The Kurds were not invited to the anti ISIS coalition conference in London and are rightfully pissed:

The following countries were invited to the meeting:
In addition to Britain, the US and Iraq, other countries whose representatives participated in the conference were Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

Despite being the strongest force against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, the Kurds were left out while the countries supporting and financeing the terrorists got invitations.

Nice job bowing to Erdogan and alienating the Kurds even further :thumbsup:

inhttp://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/23012015

Ah, Fun times, lets see if the Russians try to steal the Kurds.
Although Assads recent antics propably make this an expensive proposition, which may well be why he done that in the first place.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Japanese hostages are now said to have been executed. Apparently a video is forthcoming.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

The Japanese hostages are now said to have been executed. Apparently a video is forthcoming.
To the surprise of absolutely nobody. I mean seriously, they were probably dead when they asked for the 200mil, because they knew they weren't going to get it. I'd have expected a 'die with dignity' message to them from Abe though instead of all this waffling.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
So I keep seeing poo poo on the news and the internets about Irans Nuclear Program. There is going to be some military exchange from this right? I really don't see any other outcome unless I am missing something. Granted I do not know much about the situation.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oracle posted:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody. I mean seriously, they were probably dead when they asked for the 200mil, because they knew they weren't going to get it. I'd have expected a 'die with dignity' message to them from Abe though instead of all this waffling.

Eh, a die with dignity message may have been too uncomfortably close to all the wartime bushido bullshit they try to avoid bringing up these days. Also they were apparently trying to negotiate something that didn't involve $200M.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

To Battle posted:

So I keep seeing poo poo on the news and the internets about Irans Nuclear Program. There is going to be some military exchange from this right? I really don't see any other outcome unless I am missing something. Granted I do not know much about the situation.

Well, if history has taught us anything about complying with international inspections...

For real, though, there won't be, though it will fuel this bizarre trend of Likud-GOP relations having an independent foreign policy from U.S.-Israeli official foreign policy :psyduck:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Well, if history has taught us anything about complying with international inspections...

For real, though, there won't be, though it will fuel this bizarre trend of Likud-GOP relations having an independent foreign policy from U.S.-Israeli official foreign policy :psyduck:

Yeah there is so much rhetoric being thrown around I have no idea what to think honestly.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

To Battle posted:

Yeah there is so much rhetoric being thrown around I have no idea what to think honestly.

The "Arms Control Wonk" podcast has had some good episodes explaining the context, the history of nuclear monitoring RE: Iran and the likely scenarios if some sort of verification is passed. It can be a bit dry but they definitely go in detail.

Edit: For those who will probably not listen to the podcast, the situation is pretty much what you'd expect — more nuanced and complicated than anyone is saying on the news. Any attempt at verification, even with decent cooperation from Iranian authorities, is merely putting a finger in a cracking dam. Ultimately the success of verification depends entirely on the Iranian regime's enticement to appear like a cooperative partner, which means there must be incentives to the regime. So the real long term strategic victory is in making Iran an ally, not in winning short-term tactical victories in their ability to construct a nuclear weapon.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 24, 2015

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, a die with dignity message may have been too uncomfortably close to all the wartime bushido bullshit they try to avoid bringing up these days. Also they were apparently trying to negotiate something that didn't involve $200M.

Not to mention, it might make ISIS inclined to murder the hostages in an especially undignified way, on the off chance they hadn't already been killed

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
North Korea, the shittiest most retarded country in the entire world, got a nuke almost a loving decade ago (which by the way, ANY DAY NOW warnings about Iran's nuclear capabilities were happening too!) If they wanted a nuclear weapon there would have been a test by now. There is literally nothing to any renewed speculation about Iran's nuclear program beyond Neyanyahu is currently losing his election and is trying to drum up support by being a warmongering lying piece of poo poo.

In Iraq news, militia fighters in Ramadi threatened to withdraw if not given adequate supplies by the central government immediately.

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/albu-ghanem-tribe-gives-government-5-hours-provide-weapons-threatens-withdraw-battle/

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Iran is in a holding pattern. It definitely has nuke building facilities but it's got good leverage I'm negotiations and doesn't want to get bombed. The Israelis can't do poo poo about it because they don't have the munitions so they have to bitch and whine, but the Iranian bomb isn't even for them.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Oracle posted:

He's trying to move the country in a more "normal" direction as far as intervention/military and is seen as responsible for triggering the execution. Sounds like some tricky domestic politics with an old guard who wants to stay away from anything suggestive of WWII era rhetoric.

Of course, we'd all have loved to see Japan double down and respond to the threats by upping their contribution to $400 million...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Considering that the two Japanese hostages were essentially military otaku cut from the same cloth as Caro, "a die with dignity" message would probably been too on the mark.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Considering that the two Japanese hostages were essentially military otaku cut from the same cloth as Caro, "a die with dignity" message would probably been too on the mark.

One was. The other was a journalist who'd made his acquaintance and was trying to bail the poor mentally-ill goober out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

One was. The other was a journalist who'd made his acquaintance and was trying to bail the poor mentally-ill goober out.

I thought it was the other way around. The problem is both of them have been mentioned in the media as "self-proclaimed" in their occupations, so it's not hard for me to see the former as another war tourist like Caro. Who, you'll remembered, entered Libya as a "journalist".

• Locked thread