Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think you mean "Look at your evil watch. It is very interesting. But you don't need to worry about it anymore. But there is something more evil than that watch! IT'S YOUR FACE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just finished up Stone Ocean. While I'm fine with Pucci kind of winning, I wish that more of the victory in that last fight had come from Jolyne--she didn't really have much presence in it. Also, I'm kind of confused--Pucci sped up time to the universal reset, that I understand. Is that they then enter the weird predestiny universe where Pucci is talking about resignation to fate as true happiness (except he himself can change destiny, loving up by giving Emporio Weather Report), and then dying before Cape Canaveral which is somehow significant, and then the universe resets again and we get the Ireneverse. Am I right in thinking there's three universes, or am I misinterpreting what happens at Green Dolphin Street Prison?

Also also, I just started Steel Ball Run, and I'm definitely enjoying Pocoloco's Fortunate Occurences.

Basically, the universe ordinarily repeats itself in broad tendencies, but Made In Heaven can control it to provide perfect repetition and thus give people complete foreknowledge through being reincarnated as themselves and having all their original memories. Killing Pucci before this loop closes causes it to snap back to the normal state of affairs, where there are similar people doing similar things in similar places, but there's room to change things, and foreknowledge is limited to deja vu. (This may be how Thoth, Epitaph, and Rolling Stone work, too).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just finished up Stone Ocean. While I'm fine with Pucci kind of winning, I wish that more of the victory in that last fight had come from Jolyne--she didn't really have much presence in it. Also, I'm kind of confused--Pucci sped up time to the universal reset, that I understand. Is that they then enter the weird predestiny universe where Pucci is talking about resignation to fate as true happiness (except he himself can change destiny, loving up by giving Emporio Weather Report), and then dying before Cape Canaveral which is somehow significant, and then the universe resets again and we get the Ireneverse. Am I right in thinking there's three universes, or am I misinterpreting what happens at Green Dolphin Street Prison?

Also also, I just started Steel Ball Run, and I'm definitely enjoying Pocoloco's Fortunate Occurences.

Stone Ocean is loving weird and it's best to just roll with it but you're about right regarding the three universes.

I also wasn't too bothered by Jolyne not being the one to beat Pucci in the end because she was the one who saved Emporio from Made in Heaven which directly allowed him to be the one kill Pucci. So it wasn't that diffrent from Josuke not being the one to defeat Kira. Part 4's ending was still way better though because the entire gang contributed to the ending which was awesome. Also her fight with Pucci before he powers up is loving amazing so that makes up for it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would say the entire cast contributed to that showdown, if Jolyne did. Emperio pulled out a gun and Hermes was able to use the bullets in order to get them to a place where Pucci couldn't easily leave from. Annasui was protecting them all and Jotaro stopped time (though ironically it seemed like he helped the least, to be honest).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Momomo posted:

I would say the entire cast contributed to that showdown, if Jolyne did. Emperio pulled out a gun and Hermes was able to use the bullets in order to get them to a place where Pucci couldn't easily leave from. Annasui was protecting them all and Jotaro stopped time (though ironically it seemed like he helped the least, to be honest).

Even with that, though, there's not really that much going on in the MiH fight--it's mostly a lot of running away, and then everyone dies. The final fight with Kira had some great back-and-forth, from the introduction of the air bubbles (but Kira has to do triangulation tricks to land it), to realizing how he's targeting them inside the house, the 'homing bullet' and so on and so forth. I think so far, that's probably been the best final fight of the series, even if Josuke wasn't the one who dealt the finishing blow.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MiH fight is mostly just to show the absolute bullshit of Pucci's newest stand, so it mostly involves people trying something and that not working because Pucci is now just too strong. Before Emporio kills him the only person who gets one over on Pucci is Jolyne by tying Emporio to some dolphins thus preventing Pucci from being able to kill him.

Also, it's unfair to compare the conclusion of any arc to Part 4's conclusion because it is basically perfect in every way. The closest to it in quality is probably Part 3 or 7 but they still don't really measure up. The end of Part 4 is so good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, there's one thing I want more than Holy Diver as the ED theme starting with the Vanilla Ice fights.

I want Kakyoin to go up against DIO with that 20 Meter Emerald Splash, with Virtuous Pope blaring in the background all triumphantly like he's about to pull off this awesome move.

And then The World just kicks in and stops everything. Including the music.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Pucci in general is a terrible villian because every single time the heroes fight against him they end up failing and somehow advancing his plans because of "gravity", most annoyingly when weather is about to take out pucci but jolyne accidentally causes him to get run over and die. it felt like I was reading bleach again or something.

jolyne might as well have just sat in her cell and not done a drat thing and stone ocean would have the same outcome

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's even funnier when you consider that the "Jotaro" from part 6 also wasn't Jotaro.

How so? :confused:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Pucci in general is a terrible villian because every single time the heroes fight against him they end up failing and somehow advancing his plans because of "gravity", most annoyingly when weather is about to take out pucci but jolyne accidentally causes him to get run over and die. it felt like I was reading bleach again or something.

jolyne might as well have just sat in her cell and not done a drat thing and stone ocean would have the same outcome

Isn't Jolyne the one who caused Emporio to change in the end? And gave him Weather's CD?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't Jolyne the one who caused Emporio to change in the end? And gave him Weather's CD?

She also saved him from Pucci during the MiH fight, thus leading to him being the sole survivor of their crew.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

It was Diver Down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It was Diver Down.

Diver Down was in Jotaro so he could tell him when to SP:TW but when he gets his face sliced open, that's the real deal. Annasui is dead at that point.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure why you guys think Thoth was fortelling Part 6. It can only see the near future, so that Jotaro getting his face sliced open was Boingo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Not sure why you guys think Thoth was fortelling Part 6.

Because it's funny that both times Jotaro died after part 3 it was in the same waythat Thoth predicted.

It's like that joke Josuke made where he said his grandma once got hit by the same car twice in one day and survived both times.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

RatHat posted:

Not sure why you guys think Thoth was fortelling Part 6. It can only see the near future, so that Jotaro getting his face sliced open was Boingo.
Why do you think it can only see the near future?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boingo says as much and the events it shows do tend to materialise shortly before they happen. It's not an unreasonable assumption.

e: If it were capable of long distance prediction (for want of a better term) there'd be no reason for them to sit around and wait to see what to do next.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 24, 2015

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Stand users are depicted throughout the series (and in part 3) as often not understanding the powers of their stands.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boingo isn't really one of those though. It's his partners that gently caress it all up more than anything, he gets that if they consciously do the things the book shows them doing, the end result will always be what's shown in the manga. He's constantly reminding Hol Horse to do what the book says, for example.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aurain posted:

He's constantly reminding Hol Horse to do what the book says, for example.

Yeah, and the book says he does that because he reminds Hol Horse to do it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
This is really overthinking it, but I imagined that this basically means that Jotaro's "fate" is just always going to be to die with his face being split open, regardless of when or how it happens.

Also, The Lord of Hats, just for the record to avoid confusion, Word of Araki is that Steel Ball Run is NOT the universe Emporio wound up in. It's just another parallel or alternate universe somewhere.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jotaro's face getting blowed up later has nothing to do with Thoth's actual power, it's just a funny callback.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Aurain posted:

Diver Down was in Jotaro so he could tell him when to SP:TW but when he gets his face sliced open, that's the real deal. Annasui is dead at that point.

You are correct. Whoops.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Jotaro's face getting blowed up later has nothing to do with Thoth's actual power, it's just a funny callback.

Exactly

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing wrong with a little bit of fun with running jokes in things, which is all the Stone Ocean proves Boingo was right all along thing is.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Aurain posted:

Nothing wrong with a little bit of fun with running jokes in things, which is all the Stone Ocean proves Boingo was right all along thing is.

Stone Ocean AND Diamond is Unbreakable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So explain 9/11.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

So explain 9/11.

Gray Fly? :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Underworld

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nessus posted:

So explain 9/11.

Same explanation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

9/11 is the funniest tragedy.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
no rap is

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rap gave us notorious BIG

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
also Hey Ya! the best stand for winning a horse race

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Hey Ya is the real reason Diego got killed

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. :stare:

And to think, I thought Pocoloco was the most pointless character in SBR this whole time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Hey Ya! is such a great goddamn Stand I wish we got to see it again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the villain of part 8 is going to be puccilucci, a descendant of pocoloco

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pocoloco is based on Poco from Phantom Blood, right? It's a shame we didn't get to see his slap-happy family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

FirstAidKite posted:

hhahaha that's true

• Locked thread