Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hands are scary

My rabbits will let me pet them, but as soon as they notice me shifting my weight so I can pick one of them up (they're 15lbs each) they immediately scamper away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My mother has discovered Flemish Giants. She's been cooing over photos of them all day.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 21, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

My mother has discovered Flemish Giants. She's been cooing over photos of them all day.

They're pretty dandy.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

They're pretty dandy.

do they snuggle

if they snuggle I'm eating my dwarf tonight

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remora posted:

do they snuggle

if they snuggle I'm eating my dwarf tonight

Yuuuup. They're the best during morning conference calls.

All Glory to the Raisin God :catholic:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The first thing im gonna do when I show here these is point out the state of the floor. How you've kept them from ripping it up any more, I'll never know. A stately comfy bun rug. That'll scare her.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

The first thing im gonna do when I show here these is point out the state of the floor. How you've kept them from ripping it up any more, I'll never know. A stately comfy bun rug. That'll scare her.

We lucked out and these guys don't like carpet. Floorboards, cords, anything wood and sometimes leather however....

I keep telling myself we wanted to replace the floorboards anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My girlfriend and I have been discussing adopting a pair of Flemish Giants once we have a pet-friendly place. Where did you find them? There's 4H breeders around here, but I'm not sure where else to look.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

My girlfriend and I have been discussing adopting a pair of Flemish Giants once we have a pet-friendly place. Where did you find them? There's 4H breeders around here, but I'm not sure where else to look.

I'll admit it. We got ours from a breeder. Drove 6 hours to pick them up, since the breeder seemed on the up and up (she is thankfully).

However, the local shelter nearby then rescued some flemmies a few month after we got ours. They are as sweet if not show quality (dat dewlap) and more skittish (we foster for the shelter). So check out both.

Bonded pairs are the bomb, even if they clearly love each other more than you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'll admit it. We got ours from a breeder. Drove 6 hours to pick them up, since the breeder seemed on the up and up (she is thankfully).

However, the local shelter nearby then rescued some flemmies a few month after we got ours. They are as sweet if not show quality (dat dewlap) and more skittish (we foster for the shelter). So check out both.

Bonded pairs are the bomb, even if they clearly love each other more than you.
We're regulars at the shelter, but they rabbits very irregularly, and never in pairs. I don't want to get them from the pet store, so I guess breeder's the way to go.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

We're regulars at the shelter, but they rabbits very irregularly, and never in pairs. I don't want to get them from the pet store, so I guess breeder's the way to go.

I'm not sure if this is true in your area, but in mine the vast majority of rabbits are in private shelters and the public shelters (humane society etc) tend to send the rabbits off to the rabbit specific shelters. Like the rabbit shelter we foster from is like 1/2 of some lady's house and they take rabbits from 30 other shelters along with doing rescues of meat rabbits (http://www.saveabunny.org). So there might be a place like that near you. ymmv.

This is the shelter's mascot rabbit, Tank:

I'm jealous of how easy he is to hold.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
^^that shelter actually has 4 adoptable flems right now (plus tank!)--bonded sisters and (I think) a brother/sister pair that has been separated. For anyone in the Bay Area :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
When I move to a bigger place in 2-3 years, and after Harriet goes off to eat God's power cords, I may get a flemie pair. I hear they are quite chill.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

When I move to a bigger place in 2-3 years, and after Harriet goes off to eat God's power cords, I may get a flemie pair. I hear they are quite chill.
I also had a belligerent dickhead rabbit, and I look forward to having big chill buns.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ours are quite chill, but they still love power cords. They never seem to mind new people too much, although they haven't dealt with many kids.

They are of course industrial sized fertilizer creators and consume pounds of kale a week. They also spend 80% of their time sleeping or flopped out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
THE RABBIT HAS LEARNED TO KNOCK ON THE DOOR LIKE THE CAT TO BE LET IN FROM THE PATIO

THIS IS NOT A TEST THE LAPINE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN

Why yes my cats have a special knock. Ella has learned Stanleys, whick is one loud knock on the far screen. Zoe is a quick pawing on the near door. The question is, why dont your animals knock?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Suspect Bucket posted:

THE RABBIT HAS LEARNED TO KNOCK ON THE DOOR LIKE THE CAT TO BE LET IN FROM THE PATIO

THIS IS NOT A TEST THE LAPINE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN

Why yes my cats have a special knock. Ella has learned Stanleys, whick is one loud knock on the far screen. Zoe is a quick pawing on the near door. The question is, why dont your animals knock?

agree on the revolution. ours learned two new tricks yesterday after months in this house: 1) climbing onto a shelf to steal the flower in a vase and eat it and 2) cross the Moste Terrible Threshold and go out the back door

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In other exciting news, I have stopped the dog and rabbit from pestering me to death by giving them an emptied peanutbutter jar. The room smells delicious.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Trabisnikof posted:

Ours are quite chill, but they still love power cords. They never seem to mind new people too much, although they haven't dealt with many kids.

They are of course industrial sized fertilizer creators and consume pounds of kale a week. They also spend 80% of their time sleeping or flopped out.

I want to snuggle this fat fatty mcfatfat sooooo badly

Yoshimi
Mar 28, 2012

This is my bunbun. We got him from my coworker who wasn't taking care of him and we love him so much, even though our carpet is kaput!
We thought it was a she at first and named her Lucy Bunbun. But then we saw that it was definitely a male. So now we call him Scritchard :3:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sorry for the abysmal quality, but this is my bun! Her name is Roxanne, and she is majestic.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
This is Pliskin and he's a good boy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yoshimi posted:

This is my bunbun. We got him from my coworker who wasn't taking care of him and we love him so much, even though our carpet is kaput!
We thought it was a she at first and named her Lucy Bunbun. But then we saw that it was definitely a male. So now we call him Scritchard :3:

That's a happy floppy bun. And another good thing about rabbits, it doesn't really matter if you change their name :v:

Dammerung posted:

Sorry for the abysmal quality, but this is my bun! Her name is Roxanne, and she is majestic.

Is Roxanne's accents in brown/gray or lighter in color?

bigass jncos posted:

This is Pliskin and he's a good boy.

Does Pliskin love his Ikea bed? I've been seriously tempted to get one or two.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah. Between that and the flop-tunnel, it seems to have become a step in his relaxation rotation.

Also, he chews on the bedposts and likes to muss up his sheets.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Trabisnikof posted:

Is Roxanne's accents in brown/gray or lighter in color?

Lighter in color! She looks quite magnificent in person.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bigass jncos posted:

Yeah. Between that and the flop-tunnel, it seems to have become a step in his relaxation rotation.

Also, he chews on the bedposts and likes to muss up his sheets.

He's hiding

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Really? He usually goes to his litterbox or a hidey hole in another corner if a noise scares him. We've been trying to sit in his x-pen during the first couple of days to get him used to us. He seems curious and friendly. I hope we're not spooking the little guy!

Either way, we're going to build him a cardboard privacy chamber this weekend. That should be fun.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bigass jncos posted:

Really? He usually goes to his litterbox or a hidey hole in another corner if a noise scares him. We've been trying to sit in his x-pen during the first couple of days to get him used to us. He seems curious and friendly. I hope we're not spooking the little guy!

Either way, we're going to build him a cardboard privacy chamber this weekend. That should be fun.

Not in a bad way, but in a "I think I'm a smart bunny but my big butt is poking out" kind of way. Rabbits like to find all sorts of hidey spots, but aren't exactly good 3d thinkers so they'll find an awesome hiding spot and sit there all contently while you can see their butt/ears sticking out plain as day.

You can tell he's super chilled out because those legs are flopped.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Not in a bad way, but in a "I think I'm a smart bunny but my big butt is poking out" kind of way. Rabbits like to find all sorts of hidey spots, but aren't exactly good 3d thinkers so they'll find an awesome hiding spot and sit there all contently while you can see their butt/ears sticking out plain as day.

You can tell he's super chilled out because those legs are flopped.

Oh yeah, totally. He isn't scared, rabbits are just dumb and they feel safe when their heads are covered. My Dutch used to hop up on the couch and stick his head underneath one of the cushions and sleep flopped out even though everything except his head was sticking out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

grack posted:

Oh yeah, totally. He isn't scared, rabbits are just dumb and they feel safe when their heads are covered. My Dutch used to hop up on the couch and stick his head underneath one of the cushions and sleep flopped out even though everything except his head was sticking out.

Mine did that constantly with the same little woven tunnel. As long as their head was covered they thought they were safe. dumb bunnies.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There were some pictures posted in this thread that I'm looking for. One was a drawing of a bunny dancing and it said "If you liked it you should have rubbed a chin on it" and the other one was something like "Why does my bunny hate me? Because it's a bunny" any one got those?

edit: google found me the first one

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Volume posted:

There were some pictures posted in this thread that I'm looking for. One was a drawing of a bunny dancing and it said "If you liked it you should have rubbed a chin on it" and the other one was something like "Why does my bunny hate me? Because it's a bunny" any one got those?

edit: google found me the first one

Was this the second one?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Why do I feel the most complete contentment when I see my rabbit flop out like a baws when in a room under supervision with two cats and one dog that could easily kill and eat her but prob never will because they are all so well acclimated to co-habitation and as well as perfectly fed and otherwise entertained?

Cuz I am the best pet owner. :frogc00l:

Ella spent most of two hours with the collected pets and I watching Netflix together like this. This never fails to cheer me up and make me feel like a worthwhile person.

Also, towards the 'never will' comment, two months after I had just gotten Ella, she and Stanley Anne the Cat were accidentally locked into a spare room by my slightly senile grandma. For two days. Together. With no other food or water. While we were 200 miles away and left the household to a new petsitter. With no food other than a sealed honey bear in the room. Fortunately the pet sitter wised up and let them out after finding both of them absent. They ate the carpet they spilled honey on but nothing else was destroyed or dead.

I'm sure one of them will snap one day. Ella has tasted blood and, as the tale goes, can collapse mines on a whim. Even if there are no mines, it's just going to be a 'rocks fall, everyone dies' kinda day the one time I fail to give her my de-seeded apple core.

btw dont mix rabbits and predators because it is dumb and I am dumb but my rabbit kicks rear end

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 31, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a big fat bunny posted:

Was this the second one?

yes thank you

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I fully understand "don't mix rabbits and predators" and Pepper and the cats are never ever ever allowed together without a human liaison but Pepper, who is three pounds and at least half Netherland Dwarf, absolutely beats the poo poo out of our cats on the regular. Both cats are petrified of her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My roomate has a service dog, who is very well behaved around Harriet. Of course, Harriet is a shithead, who will run up to the dog when napping, headbutt the dog in the nose, and run and hide under my legs. I don't let them interact much, for the dogs protection.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bean posted:

I fully understand "don't mix rabbits and predators" and Pepper and the cats are never ever ever allowed together without a human liaison but Pepper, who is three pounds and at least half Netherland Dwarf, absolutely beats the poo poo out of our cats on the regular. Both cats are petrified of her.

Dwarves are evil and vicious animals. Cats play fight, dwarves straight up fight. No one wants to get into a play fight with a dude that chokes and nut punches.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My eight pound Holland Lop mix became very aggressive toward a visitor's 10-year-old bear-sized Akita. I had to lock his cage to keep him from trying to attack the confused, friendly dog.

Rabbits do not like other things wandering into their territory. For example: you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

My eight pound Holland Lop mix became very aggressive toward a visitor's 10-year-old bear-sized Akita. I had to lock his cage to keep him from trying to attack the confused, friendly dog.

Rabbits do not like other things wandering into their territory. For example: you.

My Dutch was loving terrified of squirrels out on the balcony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

My Dutch was loving terrified of squirrels out on the balcony.
My rabbit had no conception of the outside world, which was nice, since he never tried to run off.