Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahmbo
Mar 19, 2008

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

-Vladimir Lenin
If going back to archaic systems of government is better, why stop with a king? We need people to administer our local territories, and using the logic of the reactionaries, we should use our traditional institutions. Why not bring back the doukes? Surely the old ways are better- Alexios Komnenos had doukes. Iouliana the Great had doukes. "Saint" Valeria had doukes.

If you want to imagine the future under the Komnenoi, imagine a douke stamping on a human face, forever.

Death to all reactionaries. Death to the false Emperor in Rhodes. Death to the crypto-doukes.

Rahmbo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
##Vote A: Support the Republic

Civil war is more interesting.

Whatever vote wins, after the LP is wrapped up will we get at least a summary of what the losing vote might have entailed?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Frontspac posted:

Civil war is more interesting.

Whatever vote wins, after the LP is wrapped up will we get at least a summary of what the losing vote might have entailed?

I'll probably say like right after the next update and we see all this play out. I'm just being cagey because a.) I like votes being as uninformed as possible, and also b.) in this particular case I haven't seen the event play out before so even I'm not quite sure what will happen.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rincewind posted:

a.) I like votes being as uninformed as possible

I think we've seen over and over and over that this is a bad idea.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Clayren posted:

We've already had alternate-world Napoleon and I have a sneaking suspicion that this guy is alternate-world Hitler, I think the Republic's still got legs but maybe stop dragging out the hiratine for every petty offense.

I'm pretty sure this guy is more of an alternate-world Napoleon III. So we can expect him to get baited into a war with Alternate-world Prussia (the HRE I suppose) and get completely crushed. And then, Communists.

Duckbag posted:

Et tu, Goatlord?
Look, this guy isn't even bringing a keg with him. I have no objection to turning Rhodes into a never-ending party after we annex it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GoatLord posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy is more of an alternate-world Napoleon III.

I'm trying to think of who the original tragedy was, but all I can remember are comparable farces.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

##Vote A: Support the Republic: 49
TheMcD
Ghostwoods
Erwin the German
Cestrian
BwenGun
Jimmy4400nav
General Antares
Freudian
Tevery Best
NewMars
Luhood
GunnerJ
Technowolf
Reveilled
loquacius
Rejected
Caustic Soda
RZApublican
Rumda
Sky Shadowing
ThatBasqueGuy
Hitlers Gay Secret
Glenn Zimmerman
paragon1
Hutter
JT Jag
Tulip
GoatLord
Flesnolk
StrifeHira
mcclay
tatankatonk
Grizzwold
Pacho
Blackunknown
Meinberg
Ogianres
sloshmonger
LowellDND
Unwise_Cashew
Rahmbo
RagnarokZ
chippocrates
Magni
Shadow gamer
vancho1
Lynneth
Clayren
Frontspac
NGDBSS

##Vote B: Support Kaisarios: 21
Jeoh
AJ_Impy
HiHo ChiRho
QuoProQuid
Lord Cyrahzax
Arbite
Chief Savage Man
Zikan
Readingaccount
Juvenalian.Satyr
WeaponGradeSadness
Packyy
ninjahedgehog
TheFlyingLlama
Ghetto Prince
GSD
Dry Hump
Duckbag
420 Gank Mid
Patter Song
Horsebanger

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rincewind posted:

##Vote A: Support the Republic: 49

##Vote B: Support Kaisarios: 21

Awww yiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3LAtdaNrNE

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

ALL HAIL THE RETURN OF THE KOMNENOI! DEATH TO THE ASIATIC HORDES!

I implore you, my friends, are these Ming any different from the Huns, who pillaged and destroyed our lands so long ago? Twice they have been a thorn in our side, and now they seek to contain us! They believe themselves to be the masters of the world and thus they meddle in our politics. Unacceptable! Why should the heirs of Caesar, Alexander, and Aeneas bow to the sons of Qin Shi Huang? We must throw off the shackles of the East and liberate the Near West!

I tell you, there will be no peace and safety in our lands until the streets of Beijing flow red with blood, and the flag of old flies from the Imperial Palace. And that will not happen until we establish a new Empire, like the Romans of old. Ζήτω ο αυτοκράτορας!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

It's so lopsided that I'm going to close the vote at 9:15 PM EST, unless Kaisarios gains a lot of momentum between then and now.

A voters, please raise your hands and send me your spirit energy to help me actually win the civil war. Usually when things go horribly for us, I just cackle madly as the next update starts to write itself in my head. But I don't think I'd enjoy losing this particular civil war vey much. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Glorious Legions of True Rome number in the millions, the pathetic Chinese lapdog so-called Byzantine Republic stands no chance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rincewind posted:

A voters, please raise your hands and send me your spirit energy to help me actually win the civil war. Usually when things go horribly for us, I just cackle madly as the next update starts to write itself in my head. But I don't think I'd enjoy losing this particular civil war vey much. :v:

Maybe you can say that since the National Assembly seems to favor fighting the pretender by over 2:1, this indicates something about popular support for the republic and justifies helping yourself out...?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

GunnerJ posted:

Maybe you can say that since the National Assembly seems to favor fighting the pretender by over 2:1, this indicates something about popular support for the republic and justifies helping yourself out...?

The public DID just vote in a completely new party after a long era of utter one-party control, you have to think that there's SOME support among the people for the new government. Maybe offer the Bulgarians or Sicilians some level of autonomy for their support (we've got to be a more palatable choice than being ruled by some crazed Greek dictator from the rear end-end of the Mediterranean!)

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We should release and play as New New Bulgaria.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

If you by 'bad' mean 'fun,' I might be able to agree.

Rincewind posted:

It's so lopsided that I'm going to close the vote at 9:15 PM EST, unless Kaisarios gains a lot of momentum between then and now.

None (or most at least) of us would enjoy losing this war. Considering that agreeing to his demands probably would make us a ConMon Byzantium (at best), flat out denying him and loosing the civil war will most likely mean the worst possible thing:

Ρωμαϊκή αυτοκρατορία ξαναγεννιέται

Google Translate, please don't let me down. I too want to write awesome Greek stuff once in a while...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

:siren: Vote closed! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzu01gO3pi4

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Clayren posted:

The public DID just vote in a completely new party after a long era of utter one-party control, you have to think that there's SOME support among the people for the new government. Maybe offer the Bulgarians or Sicilians some level of autonomy for their support (we've got to be a more palatable choice than being ruled by some crazed Greek dictator from the rear end-end of the Mediterranean!)

Frankly, I' rather have a New New Bulgaria running around than yet another attempt to make us a New new Rome. :colbert:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm sick enough of Bulgaria I hope there's zero pops left at the end of this war.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Clayren posted:

The public DID just vote in a completely new party after a long era of utter one-party control, you have to think that there's SOME support among the people for the new government.

The thing is, the party they voted in is more hostile to the idea of monarchy than their predecessors.

eta: You're right, I misread it as "for a new government."
\/\/\/\/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 24, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GunnerJ posted:

The thing is, the party they voted in is more hostile to the idea of monarchy than their predecessors.

I think that post was agreeing with yours. If anything, support for the revolutionary ideals seems like it's at an all time high, not its lowest ebb. The people of Byzantium are divided once more, and a war is inevitable, but those willing to fight for the republic and the memory of Noor Sallajer are surely not small in number, based on the election result.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

With a Komnenos enlightened by the True Prophet (pbuh) nothing will stand in the way of the Great 19th Century Roman Restoration.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Reveilled posted:

I think that post was agreeing with yours. If anything, support for the revolutionary ideals seems like it's at an all time high, not its lowest ebb. The people of Byzantium are divided once more, and a war is inevitable, but those willing to fight for the republic and the memory of Noor Sallajer are surely not small in number, based on the election result.

Obviously we were dealing with a case of Silent Majority. Among conservative values there is humility, and, after all, the Capitolino did over play their hand. Another conservative value is making the best of what life gives you. There's no way that this little gift from God (Allah?) is going to be let go without angry screaming.

Rahmbo
Mar 19, 2008

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

-Vladimir Lenin
It'd be really funny if it turned out that the civil war was a huge bluff and Kaisaros only has like three brigades (because he has no actual popular support; because he is a bizarre anachronism from a mysterious evil island)

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Rahmbo posted:

It'd be really funny if it turned out that the civil war was a huge bluff and Kaisaros only has like three brigades (because he has no actual popular support; because he is a bizarre anachronism from a mysterious evil island)

Could be just that, and that the real threat comes from all the opportunists that rise to take advantage of the "crisis".

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

Honestly, I like how the decisions in this LP are big, sweeping, have a lot of implications that you don't get to disentangle (and illustrations!). It prevents that disease that happens in other Goon LPs where the LPer offers a half-dozen minutely different choices and then goons manage to explode that to two dozen different tiny permutations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

See this is exactly what we wanted. Can't be any more votes for a republic if all the republicans are D-E-D dead. :unsmigghh:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Aeromancia posted:

While the Republic appreciates your enthusiasm, the vote is over.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Since it's now officially a lost cause, does it mean we go fascist and become proper Rome again when losing the civil war?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ubern00b posted:

Since it's now officially a lost cause, does it mean we go fascist and become proper Rome again when losing the civil war?

:getin:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Fools! Damned fools! All of you!

We had a chance for a peaceful transition. We had a chance to turn the page on a new age of glory and prosperity, but you have doomed us all to a war our nation cannot win. When the Emperor triumphs, it will not be over our true foes in Paris or Beijing, but here, in the City of Constantine and the blood we spill will not be that of our true enemies but that of Romans! You have made it thus, can you not see? We are not cruel nor heartless. We did not choose this, we would not, but the choice was never ours to make. Fate has decreed the dawn of a new era and we have merely drawn the curtains. You who have chosen to hide from the light, you who have dared to stand against a true Son of Heaven, you have brought doom upon yourselves and all who follow you. When our great City erupts in flames and Her streets flow crimson, we will not cheer, we will weep, for you were our friends, our comrades, and now, you must die!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'm ok with spilling tolerator blood.

I'm sure you'll get inspired right quick Rincewind... all right fellow Greeks, what do you imagine our Emperor might be?
Dark, handsome and emotional for one... such a dreamboat! HAHAHA

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 24, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You're right, screw tolerance, kill the monarchists! If they will not cease with their endless passive-aggressive paens trumpeting the oh-so-sad-but-yes-quite-justified fall of the nation every drat time we face even the slightest opposition in a war, or when the proposition of even the slightest bureaucratic or electoral reform comes up, or when some teenage lunatic from the pimple on the rear end of the Mediterranean known as Rhodes wants to march in here and start ordering people around, I say we bring their endlessly prophesied reckoning upon their heads! Shoot the lot and hitatine the survivors, who's with me? :argh:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 24, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Communism!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NewMars posted:

You're right, screw tolerance, kill the monarchists! If they will not cease with their endless passive-aggressive paens trumpeting the oh-so-sad-but-yes-quite-justified fall of the nation every drat time we face even the slightest opposition in a war, or when the proposition of even the slightest bureaucratic or electoral reform comes up, or when some teenage lunatic from the pimple on the rear end of the Mediterranean known as Rhodes wants to march in here and start ordering people around, I say we bring their endlessly prophesied reckoning upon their heads! Shoot the lot and hitatine the survivors, who's with me? :argh:

Death to the Traitors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkTmnJkAN8

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Out of character, I hope we lose. With the exception of the Macau Treaty War, we've been ludicrously successful. I want to watch in horror as the imperial monarchy re-establishes itself and the rest of the game to be a desperate struggle to limit imperial power, if not remove the imperial line entirely.

Also, I would love if this turned into a re-enactment of Julius Caesar's Civil War.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

QuoProQuid posted:

Out of character, I hope we lose. With the exception of the Macau Treaty War, we've been ludicrously successful. I want to watch in horror as the imperial monarchy re-establishes itself and the rest of the game to be a desperate struggle to limit imperial power, if not remove the imperial line entirely.

Also, I would love if this turned into a re-enactment of Julius Caesar's Civil War.

You realize the LP ends if we lose, right?

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

AdventFalls posted:

You realize the LP ends if we lose, right?

It didn't end after the deluge. Part of the fun of this lp is watching byzantine lose and bounce back.

Rince said specifically that losing doesn't mean the end of the lp.

She said: "If we lose, it's a game over. Which, as we've seen, doesn't mean the end of the LP. But we probably won't enjoy it very much."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Actually having some success isn't an inherently horrible thing. I'm sure whatever happens Rince can turn it into an interesting narrative.

• Locked thread