Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only way this should happen is if you left your wagon intact, since it's the default meeting zone. I suggest not leaving it intact, especially since you get free wood out of the deal.

I never leave my wagon intact, and always define some form of meeting zone (usually in the food stockpile), but I have always had this intermittent thing with a dude wanting to go on break way the gently caress out there somewhere. Pretty sure it is guys who are in the military and wanting to go visit the last site they were stationed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't your dorfs stomp on poo poo and break it? I'm always paranoid I'm murdering my food whenever I don't have dorfs path around it properly, putting the meeting zone on top of the food would drive me crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I'm probably being really stupid, but is there a way to get underground wells that doesn't involve digging a million miles down? I really don't want my dwarves to go outside at all if I can help it, they keep getting nauseous and then grumpy.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm probably being really stupid, but is there a way to get underground wells that doesn't involve digging a million miles down? I really don't want my dwarves to go outside at all if I can help it, they keep getting nauseous and then grumpy.

Redirect some water from the surface to an underground cistern. You can depressurize it with a diagonal.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Crimson Harvest posted:

Redirect some water from the surface to an underground cistern. You can depressurize it with a diagonal.

Or from an aquifer. Be ready for it, though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crimson Harvest posted:

You can depressurize it with a diagonal.

Wait, as in no matter how much pressure there is coming in if you make it go into your reservoir through a diagonal it won't flood a higher level? Or am I reading you wrong?

Hmm guess so. Just double-checked the wiki and somehow totally missed that in the well guide. Good to know.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a paranoiac like me you would also put a bridge in the aqueduct going from the surface water to your cistern so you can block it off when your cistern has water. Extra points: put a pressure plate in it near the bottom set to keep the bridge open if there's no water on the plate - refills automatically.

This will prevent invaders who can swim somehow getting in there and then getting in the fort through your well.

It's gotta be a bridge though, building destroyers will break a floodgate down.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Babe Magnet posted:

Don't your dorfs stomp on poo poo and break it? I'm always paranoid I'm murdering my food whenever I don't have dorfs path around it properly, putting the meeting zone on top of the food would drive me crazy.

They'll tread grass, shrubs and saplings dead, but they can't hurt actual items on the ground.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh, was that an old feature or something? Or was I informed incorrectly long ago and just never questioned it?

how much of my life is a lie

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh, was that an old feature or something? Or was I informed incorrectly long ago and just never questioned it?

how much of my life is a lie

If food is stored in stockpiles on the ground (not in barrels) and you have rats or other vermin running around, the vermin can damage the food. A situation that is quite likely when you first start playing and don't understand cat management. You might not even notice the vermin token blinking into view occasionally among the chaos.

So newbie you sees "xxPlump Helmet Roastxx" and assumes the food on the floor has been damaged by all the dwarfs stomping through the food stockpile.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's probably it, then. All these years I've been going out of my way making neat little paths around my food piles.

Oh well, I guess it was good practice. My hallway management and civic pathing game is on point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Babe Magnet posted:

That's probably it, then. All these years I've been going out of my way making neat little paths around my food piles.

Oh well, I guess it was good practice. My hallway management and civic pathing game is on point.

I do it too. :3: It should matter. I don't have roaches or rats, but I'm sure that if I tried to store piles of sandwiches on my kitchen floor bad things would happen.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
But what if your sandwich is made of tallow, tallow, tallow, and a yak's lung? Would storing it on the floor make it worse, or just different?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RedTonic posted:

What the hell? I want to quit work and enroll at your school. The only caged animals here are rats and postdocs.

Hey. The rats get daily meals. The postdocs only get coffee.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VDay posted:

Wait, as in no matter how much pressure there is coming in if you make it go into your reservoir through a diagonal it won't flood a higher level? Or am I reading you wrong?

Hmm guess so. Just double-checked the wiki and somehow totally missed that in the well guide. Good to know.
Pumping it through a screw pump does the same thing, and is less likely to have its behavior suddenly changed in an update. Significantly more complicated to set up, of course.

Moridin920 posted:

If you're a paranoiac like me you would also put a bridge in the aqueduct going from the surface water to your cistern so you can block it off when your cistern has water. Extra points: put a pressure plate in it near the bottom set to keep the bridge open if there's no water on the plate - refills automatically.

This will prevent invaders who can swim somehow getting in there and then getting in the fort through your well.

A floodgate that's only open if there's no water in the cistern also seems useful, now that you bring it up. How do you hook that up?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hey. The rats get daily meals. The postdocs only get coffee.

The postdoc writes the grant app or it doesn't get the xx hemp cookie xx.

PublicOpinion posted:

But what if your sandwich is made of tallow, tallow, tallow, and a yak's lung? Would storing it on the floor make it worse, or just different?

Aging doesn't add charm to a yak lung confit sandwich.

Kinda waiting for Starter Pack to update to 40.24 before carrying on with the great fort rear end Chantdye. Since this location is so, uh, eventful, I would really like a semi-functional military.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does .24 add in the way of functional military?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

What does .24 add in the way of functional military?

Bug fix. In earlier versions sometimes dwarves would just stand there and not actually attack.

Also in terms of securing your well, it is worth remembering that building destroyers can't destroy up. So before doing the horizontal thing, I put in a p-trap and a floor grate.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

Bug fix. In earlier versions sometimes dwarves would just stand there and not actually attack.

I suppose that is a big deal when you are playing purely for solo enjoyment, but I always just wrote it off when reading or playing a succession fort as those dwarfs being cowards.

Glad to see it fixed, though! Maybe sometime soon we will get basic RTS-style commands for troops; e.g., hold position or melee-versus-ranged toggle, formations, the ability to actually command dwarfs and squads to move to a certain spot without running off to attack, etc.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

I always just put a couple fortifications around the floodgate, so nothing can actually get to it. Or can creatures, including building destroyers, swim through fortifications?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Taiga hunter status: ran out of bolts, called upon the sheriff to strangle a wounded deer with his bare hands

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There really needs to be a way to play DF from work without installing it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

There really needs to be a way to play DF from work without installing it.

You could remote desktop?

Anyway back on the topic of military! This video randomly popped up in my related videos suggestions on YouTube. It features a guy using a gimmicky "drunken Irish dwarf" accent, using the default tileset and explaining how to set up a military. Since that seems to be a pretty common series of questions, I figured people might want to be able to reference it.

e: forgot to add the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWe07WZ9Tws

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 23, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

darthbob88 posted:

I always just put a couple fortifications around the floodgate, so nothing can actually get to it. Or can creatures, including building destroyers, swim through fortifications?

They can be pushed through fortifications by water flow, but I am unsure whether they can just straight up swim through.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerrBrau posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more recommendations to use the keypad. It really seems like Toady designed the UI around having one hand on the keyboard proper and one on the keypad - left for choosing alpha hotkeys, right for navigation, designation, menus, etc. Ctrl+5 and Shift+5 solve the <> vs ? problem, for one. Many menus use 2389 for paging. On others, +-*/ are all right there too. Navigating in all directions, designation, etc via 12346789, enter is right there to start/stop designation.

After reading this post I have started trying to use the keypad. Perhaps it is a modification to the default keybinds made by the starter pack, but while Ctrl+Num5 gives me "down one z-level," Shift+Num5 does not give me "up one z-level". How would I modify this to do that?

Random question: can trade caravan wagons pass over stockpiles?

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 23, 2015

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Nietzschean posted:

After reading this post I have started trying to use the keypad. Perhaps it is a modification to the default keybinds made by the starter pack, but while Ctrl+Num5 gives me "down one z-level," Shift+Num5 does not give me "up one z-level". How would I modify this to do that?
You may need to toggle NumLock and/or use the default key bindings.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerrBrau posted:

You may need to toggle NumLock and/or use the default key bindings.

Toggling numlock did it. Thanks! :buddy:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

How do you do this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

Pumping it through a screw pump does the same thing, and is less likely to have its behavior suddenly changed in an update. Significantly more complicated to set up, of course.

A floodgate that's only open if there's no water in the cistern also seems useful, now that you bring it up. How do you hook that up?

All you need is a pressure plate in the cistern; I usually just have a tile that isn't channeled out fully (so it's just a 1x1 floor spot for the plate) near the top. Set the pressure plate to activate with liquids, and set it to be activated on 0/7 water.

Attach it to the floodgate or bridge, but the floodgate/bridge has to be in the open position when you hook it up. That way when water gets on the plate, it toggles it and closes the floodgate/bridge. When the water goes away, the plate activates and toggles the floodgate/bridge.

If you're using a bridge it's fairly simple as they get built in the open position. If you're using a floodgate you'll have to attach the gate to a lever and open it manually to get the pressure plate set up to work. I don't think it matters what order you do it in but I would hook it up to the lever first, open it, then hook it up to the plate just in case.

darthbob88 posted:

Creatures have been able to swim through fully submerged (7/7) fortifications for a while. The wiki has it listed as a bug but I'm not so sure it isn't intended. Wall grates and vertical bars can't be swum through but they can get knocked down.

Also listed as a bug at the moment: creatures can jump through fortifications. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8160

Not really sure that is a bug either though, depends on how small your arrow slits are I guess.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

Nietzschean posted:

How do you do this?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
DFHack for v0.40.24 is out! https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.40.24-r0

It's an r0 as apparently some globals are missing, but most plugins should work.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

On what screen or with what plugin running? I do not see it from either the manager screen or the workshop screen.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nietzschean posted:

On what screen or with what plugin running? I do not see it from either the manager screen or the workshop screen.

I was giving you poo poo, I don't actually know. I can't check right this second, but I expect maybe CTRL+a/A instead of "a" to add a job at the shop in question? So where you'd q>a>d over a mason's workshop to make a door, try q>ctrl+a>? I assume a workflow or other production plugin listen man i just open the starter pack and try not to get everyone killed

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just constantly hit ctrl a at all times

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

just constantly hit ctrl a at all times

This is how I play.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The best part of you jokingly quoting that is that it isn't even the correct answer.

It's actually Alt+a. You do it while having a job selected in a workshop after you create said job. ie: press 'q', hover over the workshop, -/+ to select what job you want to edit, press Alt+a.

Also according to the DFHack readme you apparently need to select an item type if you set the material, otherwise there's a chance it screws up or tries to use an inappropriate input item or something.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

The best part of you jokingly quoting that is that it isn't even the correct answer.

It's actually Alt+a. You do it while having a job selected in a workshop after you create said job. ie: press 'q', hover over the workshop, -/+ to select what job you want to edit, press Alt+a.

Also according to the DFHack readme you apparently need to select an item type if you set the material, otherwise there's a chance it screws up or tries to use an inappropriate input item or something.

I just successfully made a series of Rock Salt Doors, testing this out. Thanks!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would still just hit ctrl a at all times, just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

I would still just hit ctrl a at all times, just in case

This is just good sense.