Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

So I have a 6 year old cat who is my lil' buddy. I had been watching my sisters cat too for the past 2 years because she couldn't have pets at her place and got caught. In September she was able to take her back leaving my cat alone. Ever since then he seems lonely and more needy. I try and play with him or hold him but he still seems... sad? I was wondering if anyone knew something that could help other than simply getting another cat. My lease makes getting a new pet a huge process that I am relatively sure is in place to discourage it. Also our place is kinda small anyway.

You cat just lost a friend he had for two years. It may be that he will eventually adjust to being alone but you should probably consider getting him a buddy. Can you sneak a new cat in your place without your landlord finding out? That's what we did. If they ever say anything to us we'll just pony up the fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Alteisen posted:

What is the most durable toy that looks like a bunch of feathers?

The 20 dollar spinning squeaky mouse thing I got seems to be a dud, but this feather poo poo I got on clearance cause of Christmas is a big hit, but its already ripped to shreds.

Fyi: feathers are not durable, don't know what else to tell you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We have a local duckpond where I go to stock up on feathers (no ducks are harmed)

I kinda wish we had a nearby chicken farm, those things shed feathers like crazy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cat tail teasers are fluffy and feather-like.

that and the Cat charmer keep my guys pretty entertained:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Alteisen posted:

What is the most durable toy that looks like a bunch of feathers?

The 20 dollar spinning squeaky mouse thing I got seems to be a dud, but this feather poo poo I got on clearance cause of Christmas is a big hit, but its already ripped to shreds.
I bought this last August:
http://www.petsmart.com/featured-sh...=pfm%3Dcategory
It worked well until the attachment for the feather teaser broke within a month. However, Mouse enjoys has enjoyed it ever since with just the Velcro tip.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Not sure if you're already doing this, but make sure to put the non-durable teaser toys away when you're not playing with them. They'll last a lot longer that way.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Could I train my cat for her carrier? I had occasion to read up on positive reinforcement training, and as far as my cat is concerned, the only problem point is that she hates carriers. Well, I recently got her a new and untested one and have been leaving treats inside, which she eats, but she doesn't get in, and in fact it may be smallish, but it said "up to 6 kg" which is my cat's weight range! Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any behavior to reinforce, do you think putting her inside (she wasn't afraid to be put in when I tried it once, but didn't exactly want to stay) and giving her a treat would do anything good? (And if so, what's the best occasion / situation to do it?)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just found a thin orange kitten outside about a block from my house. It's constantly meowing at passing cars; I think it's alone and is probably too frightened to move. I want to get it home so I can care for it until the shelter opens on Monday but I've never cared for a small furry animal before, let alone helped a stray. I don't have any pet supplies in the house, just some frozen chicken I can heat up. What can I do? I don't think the kitten is going to go anywhere soon, but I'd like some quick advice all the same. I just want to help this kitty before (God forbid) something horrible happens. :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

I just found a thin orange kitten outside about a block from my house. It's constantly meowing at passing cars; I think it's alone and is probably too frightened to move. I want to get it home so I can care for it until the shelter opens on Monday but I've never cared for a small furry animal before, let alone helped a stray. I don't have any pet supplies in the house, just some frozen chicken I can heat up. What can I do? I don't think the kitten is going to go anywhere soon, but I'd like some quick advice all the same. I just want to help this kitty before (God forbid) something horrible happens. :smith:

Take it inside, get a small amount of food/cat litter from the corner store, see if there's a 24/7 vet in town. Kitty will thank you. Try to keep it out of anywhere you would be unhappy to have a cat soil something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Raw or cooked chicken is fine. Just dont cook it with bones in, or remove them before giving them to him, since cooked bones can splinter. Offer water, dont give milk unless it's specifically cat milk. Shredded paper or gravel in a plastic tub can work as a quick litter pan, and a towel in a cardboard box in its side should be a nice shelter for the little guy. Good luck!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Chicken's defrosted and in the oven; I'm going to use some of it to lure him to me and the rest will be fed to him. I set up a pile of clothes in the spare room for him to sleep on. Walked to the grocery store, but their smallest thing of kitty litter is like 35 pounds so I'm not getting it. There's some gravelly dirt near our house; maybe I'll dig some of that out and put it in a plastic box. Will update if I get the kitty.

EDIT: Kitty is now walking on my feet in the spare room. The chicken breast worked like a charm, he went to it almost immediately and was eating it the whole time I also got some gravel from outside and put it in a tupperware container and gave him a box he can hide in. He's got little sharp claws. He's crying quite a bit but I suppose that can't be helped.

EDIT2: Ew he just leaked a bunch of brown liquid stuff on the floor. Is that normal? Better clean it up regardless.

EDIT3: Looks like kitty has diarrhea. No clue what to do, the back room smells like poo poo and he won't use my make-shift litterbox at all.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I do not know of any vet clinics I can get to tonight. I will just have to settle in for a long night of dealing with a sick kitten.

My roommate's gonna be loving pissed, I tell you what

EDIT: I put down paper towels in the spare room, which makes me feel better if nothing else.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 24, 2015

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Any tips for a bullying cat except Feliway?

Our big fluffy monster cat, Pedro, is a bit of a bully to our other two. He often, particularly in the evenings, chases them around the house, swipes at them, sits glaring at them etc. and it's 99% of the time him who starts it. Yesterday I found one of them hiding in a litter tray after being chased into the bathroom :( There's no blood and little fur flying, and our other cats aren't avoiding certain places, peeing where they shouldn't or displaying really scared or anxious behaviours. They will occasionally all nose-boop each other and act friendly. Should we just chill and let him assert his authority, just intervene when they look like they're getting into it, or is there anything we can do to train him not to be a dick?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I know it's against the rules to ask for help with like, vet fees and poo poo. But I'm curious : With crowdfunding being the best way to get help these days, is it against the rules to ask people to 'spread the word' or just spread around links about a crowdfunded vet campaign?

Also : I've been thinking of getting my cat a companion since I'm out 10 hours a day for work. She's an adult cat, around 9 years old, and a decade ago when I picked her up from the shelter she was in a cage because she didn't socialize well with other cats.

I'm thinking the latter has probably changed, as she's been watching other cats out windows and things without making any aggressive movements or gestures or anything. Would a younger cat work best if I introduced a new friend to her? Do shelters ever let you, like, introduce a cat to another cat to see if they'd get along?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
A cat on the other side of the window is different to a cat on the same side... she might go batshit. I'm not sure how you would test for it though, unless you have a friend with a cat willing to bring their cat over for a playdate.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Don't tell me why but Cats make me so angry, sometimes. They're so cute I can't resist to annoy them and make them hate me, especially because most of them just ignore you and do their stuff all day, I saw a few though that can't live 5 meters away from the owner. I'm going to get a cat this year, can't wait to try this new experience, and I'm sure I'll love to feed my new lovely little kitten.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The kitten has been dropped off at the shelter. Only the smell of his pee remains. That story is over, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

supermikhail posted:

Could I train my cat for her carrier? I had occasion to read up on positive reinforcement training, and as far as my cat is concerned, the only problem point is that she hates carriers. Well, I recently got her a new and untested one and have been leaving treats inside, which she eats, but she doesn't get in, and in fact it may be smallish, but it said "up to 6 kg" which is my cat's weight range! Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any behavior to reinforce, do you think putting her inside (she wasn't afraid to be put in when I tried it once, but didn't exactly want to stay) and giving her a treat would do anything good? (And if so, what's the best occasion / situation to do it?)
What works for me is just leaving it out in the open like it's no big deal. If it is seen everyday and doesn't instantly mean a car ride and vet, its handled much better.

Once in the carrier and car, my cats howl at the moon though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pththya-lyi posted:

The kitten has been dropped off at the shelter. Only the smell of his pee remains. That story is over, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Good work :) I trust you took photos for the thread?

edit: of the kitten, just for the avoidance of doubt...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

What works for me is just leaving it out in the open like it's no big deal. If it is seen everyday and doesn't instantly mean a car ride and vet, its handled much better.

Once in the carrier and car, my cats howl at the moon though.

I do this too. Threw a folded towel inside, and they even sleep inside it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

I do this too. Threw a folded towel inside, and they even sleep inside it.

I feed mine in their carriers. Added bonus, a pinch of food in the bowl gets them in, and it's zipped close before they finish/care.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Even when my (prior and current) gato has been cool with my front-loading carrier, sometimes one balks at a hasty loading--like during a tornado warning. Solution: set the carrier door-side-up and plop the surprised kitty down into it.

Used to have a "special" kitty who could really resist loading up. The trick with her was to attempt to put her in head-first twice with the carrier in its normal position. She'd go into reverse gear, then I'd quickly turn her around and she would back right into the box o' death. Every. drat. Time.

I've always been touched by how cats will eagerly get back into the carrier after being handled at the vet's office. 'No butt stuff' zone in the carrier.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Arriviste posted:

'No butt stuff' zone in the carrier.

My cat had her temperature taken at the vet's once, and only once, while conscious. She clamps her tail down hard, poor baby. The vet and techs just let her be and don't even try, now.

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014
So I have two sibling cats (note: not sure if this thread likes pictures. Does it?)
They're both from the same litter (I think that's the english word for it?) but remarkably different in looks and personality. Probably not uncommon I guess.

In the beginning after we got them they used to play without shouting and screaming and would sleep together in a docked configuration I can only compare to the ying-yang symbol. They usually helped clean eachother as well.
But after they got spayed, and for years since, they're basically enemies. Sometimes they may touch noses but most of the time one hisses at the other whenever they're close and/or look at eachother at the same time for more than a few seconds.
Only time that doesn't happen is if they're both being distracted by something (a toy, a guest, you can probably imagine.) The bed they used to sleep and cuddle in now belongs to one of them exclusively. Even being in that room is enough to make her sister feel uncomfortable. If we try placing her on the bed she just meows and jumps down immediately.

I guess this might just be pretty natural... But uh, is it? They got along so well in the beginning, we kinda imagined they'd keep getting along. They're showing signs of warming up to oneanother more and more as time passes, but I guess I'm just kinda curious: Is this a common thing to happen to siblings? Is it reasonable to expect them to actually get along well enough to take care of eachothers again?
Kind of a shame to have two wonderful cats who won't keep eachother company when nobody else is home.
(Note: on their own they are both seemingly perfectly happy with life and the love and happiness is endless etc. They seem to basically be loving everything about life... Except eachother.)

Crayonskies fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 26, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

effika posted:

My cat had her temperature taken at the vet's once, and only once, while conscious. She clamps her tail down hard, poor baby. The vet and techs just let her be and don't even try, now.

I was so surprised that when we had to take Tali to the vet for her bloody poops that she was so nonchalant about the butt stuff. It wasn't until the vet started rubbing her belly that she flipped out and started screaming. When I try and wipe her butt with a warm towel she howls like a banshee but thermometer up her butt, not a blink.

I also left her carrier out after her last vet appointment and she ended up loving around with the fuzzy pad on the bottom, eventually tiring herself out and sleeping in the carried like a fat loaf. She also pulled out one of the rods in the top portion and chewed on the plastic cap so it went back in the closet. She sleeps in that closet so it's around, she's just not allowed to gently caress it up any further now.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
drat. The carrier I got is so small my cat barely manages to turn around. There's no space to put something else inside. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah uh, that might just be a little too small then.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I just googled "cat carrier", and there are pictures with the same proportions (don't want to image leech, but for me image no. 10 is a good approximate), although I don't know if that's a good indicator of acceptability.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

supermikhail posted:

drat. The carrier I got is so small my cat barely manages to turn around. There's no space to put something else inside. :(

For reference, my cat is ~10 lbs and this is her being pissed off in the carrier (where she sat her fat rear end herself!) if she's not loafing then I worry it's too small, but she has plenty of room to turn around (and roll onto her back to stick her claws out the side and top of the carrier). This one I believe has a weight suggestion of up to 17 lbs or so. You can also see here the destruction I was talking about, that stick in the top right should not be visible and this monster pulled it out, chewed on it, then settled in for a nap.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dexter is being a little poo poo.

I'm not sure if this falls under "duh, cats are assholes," or "your cat needs behavioral enrichment" or what, but Dex, my five year old American Shorthair, has been being a little poo poo for the last month or so. Her poo poo behaviors mostly concern meowing to get attention, climbing on things (our computer desks) where she knows she doesn't belong while meowing to get attention, and attacking her sister, Connie, a ten-year-old rescued Texas Alley Cat who just wants to be left alone. Sometimes this behavior can be alleviated by feeding the beast, but I can't do that too much since she's on a diet. Snuggles/wrestles can temporarily stop the behavior as well, but most of the time she just runs away.

I admit I am not a good cat disciplinarian. Clapping my hands and yelling "DEXTER! YOU HORRIBLE CAT-THING. STOP IT" is what happens when I catch her on the tables she doesn't belong on. Half the time, she'll make eye contact from the table and all I have to do is stand up and she'll run away. The other half of the time she'll stand there like she has no idea what's going on until I get there and move her gently off the table. I never hit her but Mr. Wroughtirony will sometimes flick her in the face if she bites, which is not often.

She's gone five years without being a total and complete little poo poo. I want to know what is behind her changing behavior. And I'd like to know better ways to address the naughtiness (stomping on tables where she does not belong) and the best way to give her whatever it is that her fuzzy little mind desires so that I can sleep in peace.

Thanks, goons.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Crayonskies posted:

So I have two sibling cats (note: not sure if this thread likes pictures. Does it?)
They're both from the same litter (I think that's the english word for it?) but remarkably different in looks and personality. Probably not uncommon I guess.

In the beginning after we got them they used to play without shouting and screaming and would sleep together in a docked configuration I can only compare to the ying-yang symbol. They usually helped clean eachother as well.
But after they got spayed, and for years since, they're basically enemies. Sometimes they may touch noses but most of the time one hisses at the other whenever they're close and/or look at eachother at the same time for more than a few seconds.
Only time that doesn't happen is if they're both being distracted by something (a toy, a guest, you can probably imagine.) The bed they used to sleep and cuddle in now belongs to one of them exclusively. Even being in that room is enough to make her sister feel uncomfortable. If we try placing her on the bed she just meows and jumps down immediately.

I guess this might just be pretty natural... But uh, is it? They got along so well in the beginning, we kinda imagined they'd keep getting along. They're showing signs of warming up to oneanother more and more as time passes, but I guess I'm just kinda curious: Is this a common thing to happen to siblings? Is it reasonable to expect them to actually get along well enough to take care of eachothers again?
Kind of a shame to have two wonderful cats who won't keep eachother company when nobody else is home.
(Note: on their own they are both seemingly perfectly happy with life and the love and happiness is endless etc. They seem to basically be loving everything about life... Except eachother.)

This started out sounding a lot like my cats. Two siblings, very different personalities. However, mine still get along. I wouldn't say they're inseparable or best buds, but they definitely are friends. I'm not an expert, but what you're describing sounds unusual. Although maybe their personalities and temperaments are so different that they can't be friends. I dunno.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arriviste posted:

I've always been touched by how cats will eagerly get back into the carrier after being handled at the vet's office. 'No butt stuff' zone in the carrier.

Yeah, and how even cats which are a bit cool with you normally tend to cuddle up to you at the vets.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

For a second there I thought the thread was still discussing cat carrier solutions :stare:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:ohdear: You mean you don't take your cat to the vet in a paper bag? I'll uh be over here...

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

So I don't really know what your cat might be needing, but you can run through the usual issues. Change in environment, not enough attention, and it legitimately needs food/water/litter change. My cat did the same thing yours did, and like you I would get up and he would run. Eventually he realized I never followed so I had to kind of "chase" him by taking a few aggressive steps. This continued escalating until I started catching him, when both he and I realized I had no plan for when I finally did catch him he stopped running and would just lay down on the table or whatever. I reused to be beaten by an animal that poops in a box and falls off the bed, I went out and bought a little squirt bottle and filled it with water. He hates getting wet and it took a day or so of me having the bottle with me at all times to pretty much permanently curb the behavior.

If your cat is doing it when you are not home you can lay some aluminum foil out where he would normally jump up and apparently they hate stepping on it. It kept my cat away from my bonsai for a winter, unfortunately I figured it out too late and he had already done too much damage.

Re: Carrier chat, if you need to get the cat in there and they are fighting it, most of them have clips along the centerline. pull the top half off and put the cat in it then put it back on. By the time they connect the dots you are already fastening it in.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Crayonskies posted:

So they are both female?

I don't know if it's an actual proven thing, but my experience (anecdotal) is that cat hierarchy tends to be female dominant. That's why it's usually recommended if you have a female cat that you get a chill dude eunuch cat.

My entire life with various cats, and our current 4, this has been the case. 1 Female ends up being "Queen Bitch" and all others must bow before her or feel her wrath. To be fair, our current "Queen Bitch" reminds me of a 5 year old child ( human ) that doesn't know how to play well with others - she likes to play/chase the others but she is growling & hissing the whole time despite clearly enjoying herself and egging the others on. Then they might touch noses a few minutes later, and then at random a few seconds later she will throw a mean right-hook and knock down her previous play buddy.

So it could be that they were buds when they were kittens and were still growing up but once they got older, someone needed to be in charge.

Cats are assholes.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I need a non rear end in a top hat way of getting my roommate's cats to stop meowing loudly at my door every night. These are not my cats, and I do my very best to ignore them. I don't feed them unless he isn't home and asks me to cover, i don't pet or play with them much unless i am watching tv in which case they insist on sitting on me or around me. Yet they insist on meowling extremely loudly and disrupting my sleep. I would like to avoid using harsh discipline but i am about ready to toss one in the shower next time they start waking me at 3 am.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

MikeC posted:

roommate's cats

You live with them so you are their person. Cat's aren't going to understand this strange boundary of what is "yours" and what is not. (Unless maybe you pee on all your stuff, they might get that.)

Try playing with them to wear them out, try the vacuum by the door trick, just ignore them and they will eventually stop. Cats are fun and sometimes annoying. Try to explore the fun part instead of focusing on the annoying part.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

While I've gathered from reading PI threads that cats aren't actually looking for belly floofs when they greet you by exposing their bellies (and that's why they react by becoming pointy), what I haven't found is what response they actually are looking for. My cat seems to find chin skritches to be an acceptable response, so I've been going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

While I've gathered from reading PI threads that cats aren't actually looking for belly floofs when they greet you by exposing their bellies (and that's why they react by becoming pointy), what I haven't found is what response they actually are looking for. My cat seems to find chin skritches to be an acceptable response, so I've been going with that.

In my extremely large sample size of 2, 50% of my cats go pointy and 50% of my cats are genuinely looking for belly rubs and lie paralysed on the floor staring at you if you walk past without obliging.