Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so what you are saying is i am the only person who had difficulty on hard

e: like, way more trouble than i ever had with eo4 and eo:u. those games were really pretty fairly balanced imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright gang what 3ds RPG should I start with

I just got gifted one for my two year anniversary since I would always steal hers when she was reviewing her work notes late at night

I'm gonna be real mad at how much better ds1 and 2 are in their remakes aren't I

Etrian Odyssey 4 is fantastic, and Tales of the Abyss is fairly good (but watch out for missables, get a guide)

Celery Face posted:

Am I gonna get my rear end kicked? Haven't played Nocturne yet but I didn't get far into Devil Survivor.

I'm nearly 20 hours into Shadow Hearts Covenant and it is fantastic. The battle system is already my favourite out of any RPG though it could stand to be a bit more challenging. Didn't expect the localization to be as good as it is. The Ring Spirit is hilarious.

:respek:

It is indeed easy as balls but I can't think of many JRPGs as incredibly fun as SH 2 and 3.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

hubris.height posted:

e: like, way more trouble than i ever had with eo4 and eo:u. those games were really pretty fairly balanced imho

I guess the game might be difficult if you completely abstain from using status effects and hama/mudo and links.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

hubris.height posted:

I think most of us had it on hard, judging from the names who were posting in the PQ thread.

I'm guessing you just didn't run Naoto or you didn't make use of Hama/Mudo stuff for most of the early game. The later half of the game should have been auto pilot even on hard as long as you use the obviously powerful skills.

Like I remember a lot of people in the PQ thread were trying to fight things in the second dungeon just using normal attacks and spells and complaining about damage spongoes, when it's clearly intended you just cast Mudo/Hama and they fall over instantly.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i didn't find out about the strength of panic until the third dungeon final floor, and didn't use naoto after the p3 team shows up

and didn't use hama / mudo until the same time :eng99: it did get much easier after that, but once i got my link setup on lock it was too strong you're right

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I'm drawing a blank... what are the action sequences in battle? I just remember it being a standard ATB RPG with mixing of skills.
I also would like to know what the hell that's talking about.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The fact that enemies move around on the field, I'm guessing, so you have to make sure they're all in range before you launch and area attack.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm sure this has been asked a jillion times, but is The Witcher worth playing at this point or should I just skip to 2?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legend of Mana mostly feels like a side-scrolling brawler but with quests. Some of the giant bosses even kinda feel like the wrestler boss from the Simpsons Arcade Game where you can out-manuever them and juggle them because they're so slow. It is relatively non linear in that you keep getting access to more and new locations no matter which quests you take, so you can kind of just play however you feel like, unless you really want to make a beeline for the end of the game, in which case you have to one of three different quest paths.

I also tried a little of Magical Starsign and the text speed is so loving slow that it is draining my will to play it. I played some Nostalgia and despite it having the thinnest and most vanilla characterization, I am playing that more, because the combat is quick, you start out with an airship, and it seems more tailored to small sessions. And the text speed is not appearing one letter every 30 seconds like Starsign.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 24, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a jillion times, but is The Witcher worth playing at this point or should I just skip to 2?

I think it is but my tolerance level for repetition is higher than most. The Witcher is a slow rear end burn with a great end game chapter and villain but seriously, slow slow burn. Play through Chapter 1 a bit. If you think to yourself "I'm tired of running around in circles talking to assholes and killing easy monsters" skip to the sequel. The gameplay will not change.

I don't know if there's a good LP but if one catches your attention watch it. The penultimate chapter is really boring and unassuming then poo poo hits the fan in the final chapter where all your in-game choices merge together. It's a great lightbulb moment.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 24, 2015

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's a solid RPG bogged down by a -lot- of running around. If you decide to try it mod the running speed to 3x normal, I found the game a lot more enjoyable like that.

felipepepe
May 23, 2014

Codex's Heretic
Don't know if I should make a new thread for this, but I think it will just interest those already reading this thread.

I'm the editor of the CRPG Book Project, a crowd-sourced project to compile the history of computer role-playing games into a free e-book, with over 300 games and various industry personalities sharing their passion.

This isn't just a wacky, empty boast - We released last month a 100-page preview .pdf, with reviews from people like Chris Avellone (tons of RPGs), Tim Cain (Fallout & Arcanum), Ian S. Frazier (Mass Effect 4) and Scorpia (ex-CGW).

I didn't see this being debated anywhere on the forums, so I would really like to share this with you guys and hear your thoughts. :)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since PQ came up, I have a bit of a question. What's a really good yet really easy RPG? Not easy as in "If you do X then Y then you can break the game", just generally easy.
The Mario games?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HGH posted:

Since PQ came up, I have a bit of a question. What's a really good yet really easy RPG? Not easy as in "If you do X then Y then you can break the game", just generally easy.
The Mario games?

What platforms do you own or want to play a game on?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HGH posted:

The Mario games?
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Well most people don't think it's 'really good' but I know I do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Only good thing Mystic Quest has is music.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HGH posted:

The Mario games?

paper mario is easy and chill, yes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

al-azad posted:

What platforms do you own or want to play a game on?

Oh I'm not looking for anything right now, I'm just wondering aloud.
So basically anything from the last 25 years or so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

The Mario games?

Phantasy Star IV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

final fantasy 13-3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much any FF game from the SNES upwards. The only ones I can think of that are even remotely challenging are 5, 12 and maybe 13 if you're not paying attention.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty much any FF game from the SNES upwards. The only ones I can think of that are even remotely challenging are 5, 12 and maybe 13 if you're not paying attention.

he said he wanted a game that was good as well as easy, you dumbass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

FFIX can be challenging too. You lose your healer for a good stretch, and if you don't pick up the optional party member AND have them learn White Wind, you're going to have a rough time of it. Not to mention one of the dungeons outright blocks all magic use.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

FFIX's hardest moment is convincing yourself to keep playing after your entire party gets Heat-ed and dies because the animations are so slow they all had moves queued up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeaaaaah, let me once again point out NOT 13. NOT EVEN ONCE.

Sequel's good so far, though. When I got to the tutorial and it was hammy and over the top I already knew I was gonna be in for something much better than what came before.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

It's a solid RPG bogged down by a -lot- of running around. If you decide to try it mod the running speed to 3x normal, I found the game a lot more enjoyable like that.
Going to try this... but I can't find a working link to a functional .bif extractor to change the proper value to change run speed. I found this "unbif" thing that, when run, just outputs nothing at all. Any help?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

HGH posted:

The Mario games?

Pretty much any of the Gust games. There's a few stinkers in there (Mana Khemia 2 and Ar Tonelico 3) but they all run on the easy side and a lot of them a pretty enjoyable.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HGH posted:

The Mario games?

Again, Shadow Hearts 2, presuming you have decent rhythm and timing. You won't get a game over unless you actively try, but the game has a great soundtrack, good story, is full of detail, and also super funny.

And yeah, Gust's games. MK1 is pretty good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The first two Suikoden games are ridiculously easy, and the best thing is, the game levels up any underleveled character to the rest of the party within 2-3 fights, so you can mix and match however you like. Some of the Unite attacks are ridiculously overpowered and none of the bosses have a particularly large amount of HP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

he said he wanted a game that was good as well as easy, you dumbass

Okay then, forget FF8.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So based on the thread o got brave default smt iv (for the setting) fire emblem awakening

I started fa awakening on lunitic

Ive never played a fa game before

I think I'm gonna dial things back

Does the permadeath change the storyline at all?

And I got that odyssey game after watching some vids it seems super neat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lunatic is kind of bullshit even for veterans, honestly. It's basically relying on Frederick for the entire game.

Permadeath doesn't change the story at all. Heck, half the units in the game don't even 'die' when they die, they just get handwaved as having gotten a serious injury and retreat, so they can still show up in cutscenes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unlike most games where the hardest difficulty is still manageable to a degree, Fire Emblem's hardest difficulties are usually really bullshit on a super-high numbers design. You should really play on Hard, that's the recommended difficulty I would say to do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you like South Park then Stick of Truth is both stupidly easy and like playing a lost season of the show.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I just got through playing Stick of Truth, and it's definitely easy, and quite fun. Might as well second the Gust catalogue too.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
The frame rate in Atelier Ayesha Plus is downright terrible. Loading times take forever. People fade into scenes when you get within ten feet of them. I'm guessing the PS3 original didn't have these kinds of technical issues?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

The frame rate in Atelier Ayesha Plus is downright terrible. Loading times take forever. People fade into scenes when you get within ten feet of them. I'm guessing the PS3 original didn't have these kinds of technical issues?

It had issues but not anywhere as bad.

The Atelier games are really an example of the Vita's shortcomings as a system. They're straight ports of PS3 games and the system really struggles with them. Over time they've improved the ports. (Ayesha is a lot better than Meruru for example) but they're just not really designed for it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It had issues but not anywhere as bad.

The Atelier games are really an example of the Vita's shortcomings as a system. They're straight ports of PS3 games and the system really struggles with them. Over time they've improved the ports. (Ayesha is a lot better than Meruru for example) but they're just not really designed for it.

I think it's more like Gust can't optimize worth a poo poo. Or maybe they just don't care. Mana Khemia on PSP was practically unplayable even with the game installed. I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate actually dipped in the single digits. Haven't seen a port that bad since Grandia 2 on PS2.

Other developers don't seem to be having any issues. P4 Golden is solid as hell. Akiba's Trip has slightly lower character volume than the PS3 version but doesn't run any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I think it's more like Gust can't optimize worth a poo poo. Or maybe they just don't care. Mana Khemia on PSP was practically unplayable even with the game installed. I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate actually dipped in the single digits. Haven't seen a port that bad since Grandia 2 on PS2.

Other developers don't seem to be having any issues. P4 Golden is solid as hell. Akiba's Trip has slightly lower character volume than the PS3 version but doesn't run any worse.

Akiba's Trip PSV ran really goddamn bad and that was for a game that already ran pretty bad.

PS4 golden was solid but also is a port of a PS2 game, not a PS3 game, even if they modified it.

I mean it isn't just Gust. Almost all the PS3 ports run pretty bad on the Vita, aside from a few of the simpler games. If they could trivially port PS3 games I imagine they'd be doing so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 25, 2015