Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gentlemen.
Tediore.
Rocket launchers.
I believe that takes care of that discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Ahahaha, those things remind me of a "Pimp My Ride" skit.

"Yo Dog! We heard you like explosions, so we made you a rocket launcher that shoots explosives that deal bonus explosive damage and when it's empty, the launcher also explodes so you can explode explosives while you explode explosive barrels!" :shepface:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

"Yo Dog! We heard you like explosions, so we made you a rocket launcher that shoots explosives that deal bonus explosive damage and when it's empty, the launcher also explodes so you can explode explosives while you explode explosive barrels!" :shepface:
The definition of pure, unsurpassable beauty.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Gentlemen.
Tediore.
Rocket launchers.
I believe that takes care of that discussion.

And for close range, Anarchy-build Gaige with Tediore shotguns.

"Accuracy's overrated".

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the developers said, at some point, that the most overpowered thing in the game was Gunzerker with two Hyperion "conference call" shotguns.
Then they released Gaige.
200 stacks of Anarchy and "close enough", you don't even have to look at enemies anymore.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Side note: Borderlands 2, the Pre-sequel and all DLC released for them is coming to the New Gen consoles next month, so I shall once more bring the joys of :torgue: to the world!

And about favourite weapon types, I'm quite partial to Maliwan weapons, give Lilith a Maliwan SMG with a fire mod in BL1 and you practically won the game, it's not too much different here if you give Maya, or anyone one.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

And about favourite weapon types, I'm quite partial to Maliwan weapons, give Lilith a Maliwan SMG with a fire mod in BL1 and you practically won the game, it's not too much different here if you give Maya, or anyone one.

It's not really necessary to give the siren elemental weapons anymore unless you are specifically speccing for that because one of her skill trees turns her special action into an elemental bomb with various types of damage AND the ability to phase lock a tough enemy AND it recharges super quick.
I actually like that, because it means I can use whatever weapons I want instead of "Oh man, another fire elemental SMG... " :effort:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I've always liked that the Psycho has a skill tree that is very clearly "use Bandit weapons."

I also like that his skill trees reflect the basic enemies. Bandit, Psycho, and Pyro.

It's sad that all his best lines are tied to the last perk in the Pyro tree though. It's not a bad tree but anyone who doesn't go down it will miss out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Funny thing about Krieg is, he's more effective with Torgue than Bandit gear. Mainly because Bandit guns are super gimmicky and not really very good compared to most other manufacturers, whereas Torgue stuff plays off his one skill that boosts his explosive damage. About the only reason to use Bandit stuff is if you get a decent Bandit AR with either a normal or Spinnygun barrel, in which case you can just hose everything down nonstop with tons of bullets. That, or if you luck out and snag a Sawbar. The Sawbar is loving rad :allears:

The really sad thing re: his Hellborn tree is that they actually reduced the amount of ranting he does. He used to never stop shouting, now it's kinda rare to hear him :(

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 10: Bloodshot Stronghold

Today we rescue a damsel in distress, Roland! :bigtran:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As long as we're on weapons business, I run Maya with only two brands - Maliwan and Jakobs. You don't know how nice latter one is with Reaper (maxed out eventually) before you try :allears: Maliwan gives me slag, but I might revise on TVHM playthrough with full Cataclysm tree.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
My character is Zero and I run stupid things. My actual favorite gun is a Jakobs pistol. But the gun I'm always using is the Rapier because I played Zero as a melee character due to my missing Brick. I was very happy when Krieg was added. :P But having +200% melee damage to go with my assassinate and ability to be invisible forever so long as I kept killing was great. I think I use almost ALL the cursed equipment on my Zero lets see.....I sold the shotgun annnnd I was only dumb enough to use the grenade with the 'Curse of the Cackling Game Designer' once before I realized what it did and went nope nope nope.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I've played all three games, and I have to say, the gun I miss the most was one I had in Borderlands on my old PC, it was a two shot Maliwan revolver, that did insane amounts of damage, nowadays on Borderlands two, I run Zero with almost solely Jakob's snipers of varying ridiculous stats and random shotguns and Law, and my precious Volcano

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure Handsome Jack himself designed most of Hyperion's tech since he came to power, which is also probably why the robots feel pain and have obvious weak spots, he's just that kinda guy.
He's also the one responsible for Hyperion guns having terrible corporate styled names because who's gonna argue against him and live?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there's actually a log about that somewhere. He thinks long foreign words make them sell better.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC there's actually a log about that somewhere. He thinks long foreign words make them sell better.
It's in Opportunity.

JackNapier posted:

I've played all three games, and I have to say, the gun I miss the most was one I had in Borderlands on my old PC, it was a two shot Maliwan revolver, that did insane amounts of damage, nowadays on Borderlands two, I run Zero with almost solely Jakob's snipers of varying ridiculous stats and random shotguns and Law, and my precious Volcano
I had a gun like that, was yours explosive too? That was the best gun :allears:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Opportunity is a great area, it has the best Jack audio logs, the best one is Jack talking to the cities builders, he tells them thanks for building this city, but get the gently caress out of here because you aren't good enough to live here, but here's some binoculars so you can look at it from a distance.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My first run through unfortunately saw that Maya wasn't as hilariously overpowered as Lilith, but I ran her phaselock tree as a sniper, so was some sort of insane glass cannon. I would sprint up with my Jacobs, phase lock and keep headshotting until it bounced to another enemy. That's the main reason I had the love for hyperion shotguns, because I would down all the time and my target wasn't going anywhere

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's in Opportunity.

I had a gun like that, was yours explosive too? That was the best gun :allears:

Mine was a lightning, the gun was my go too gently caress it button, if I got in over my head, that's what I used to resolve it, god I miss it so badly, sadly that save file died with my old computer, long before I started playing some games on steam
Edit :If I find my old Borderlands Book, I had the stats written down next to it in it's section

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 24, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

My first run through unfortunately saw that Maya wasn't as hilariously overpowered as Lilith

I think this is an important thing to note.
It seems that, these days, game developers are shockingly concerned with "game balance".
While I understand the need to be balanced in a competitive game like DOTA or Team Fortress 2 or something like that, games like BL2 just don't have that same kind of dynamic. It's cooperative instead of competitive, so "overpowered" isn't always a bad thing.
Some of my favorite games are the ones where, by the end of the game, I am a literal walking embodiment of death and I just hilariously obliterate any mortal peon who dares stands before my wake of blood and carnage.
When designers focus on "balance" (reads: nerfing), they tend to make certain aspects less fun and just make the rest of the overall experience somewhat dull and drab.
What I'm saying is that, from my perspective, I don't think any class in any game should ever get nerfed. Every other class should just get buffed. Demo nades too strong? Give every class the ability to shoot them out of the air. Pyro has too much health? When any class gets set on fire, they go berserk and deal extra damage. :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, Maya is able to make a huge number of numbers fly out of peoples' heads at once while making them hold still, which still makes her really wonderful to play as.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I still love how insanely powerful Krieg gets if you go full Mania and then full Hellborn. You end up just running around smashing things in the face with your giant axe while being constantly on fire and screaming rants at your enemies. Stuff is constantly exploding, dying, or burning and it turns the game into this gorgeous display of chaos and various effects, it's the best :allears:

So yeah, I'm totally in agreement with the "Just make the player feel super powerful" line of thinking, because drat it's satisfying to become a one man axe wielding deathgod. Really relaxing too :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can totally feel super powerful but then you get those times when (say, when you're undergeared/underleveled) and you just get stomped over and over through things that are beyond your control.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can totally feel super powerful but then you get those times when (say, when you're undergeared/underleveled) and you just get stomped over and over through things that are beyond your control.

First time I went into UVHM, Captain Flynt handed me my rear end quite a few times, enemy scaling is totally out of control in that difficulty.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

First time I went into UVHM, Captain Flynt handed me my rear end quite a few times, enemy scaling is totally out of control in that difficulty.

Did you slag him? UVHM is stupid in that it relies exclusively on slagging your opponents first, otherwise you won't do sweet fuckall for damage. Unless Flynt is one of those unslaggable enemies they threw in for the added "gently caress you" bonus. I can't remember which enemies are immune to it, but there's some in UVHM that are.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Did you slag him? UVHM is stupid in that it relies exclusively on slagging your opponents first, otherwise you won't do sweet fuckall for damage. Unless Flynt is one of those unslaggable enemies they threw in for the added "gently caress you" bonus. I can't remember which enemies are immune to it, but there's some in UVHM that are.

Oh yeah I was playing as Maya and had Phaselock specced so it slagged Flynt upon hitting him, it just was the insane damage he and his backup throws out is what was getting me.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh yeah I was playing as Maya and had Phaselock specced so it slagged Flynt upon hitting him, it just was the insane damage he and his backup throws out is what was getting me.

Ah, yeah, fair enough then. Once you hit TVHM and UVHM you really kinda have to build for survivability and specific specs. It's a bit of a shame, because it means it's a bit harder to do really goofy stuff :(

Johnny Amadeus
Apr 1, 2011

No, El Dorado.

T1g4h posted:

Ah, yeah, fair enough then. Once you hit TVHM and UVHM you really kinda have to build for survivability and specific specs. It's a bit of a shame, because it means it's a bit harder to do really goofy stuff :(

That was one of my bigger disappointments with Borderlands 2. You go through your first playthough, everything is wild and weird and crazy and fun! Then you go back to it after you beat it and the game smacks you with a rolled up newspaper and yells, "No! Wrong!" It left me shaking my head wondering where my fun friend went.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Your fun friend left and now you have to play with this weird,smelly,yet pretty smart and highly efficient friend that gets mad if you don't keep your gear updated and rework your characters to be all min/maxy because otherwise you aren't going to stand a chance playing with him.

That's not even getting into the OP level poo poo from Digistruct which i have no clue as it works since that about the point when i stopped playing this game constantly.

That said i'll still be buying the Xbone version so i can do it all again :colbert:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Since Jotsam seems to have so much trouble understanding memes, I think I know a fine young gentleman who would be more than happy to educate him.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Mr. Soop posted:

Since Jotsam seems to have so much trouble understanding memes, I think I know a fine young gentleman who would be more than happy to educate him.

Oh god no :shepicide:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Ihopeyoulikeguitarshredding!"

:rock:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 26, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

That makes Kreslev into Jetstream Sam, which I can get behind, and Jotsam into Raiden, which I am not a fan of.
That guy needs no help inflating his ego as it is, so don't go around telling him he's the protagonist.

NANOMACHINES, SON! :science:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 11: Varkids and Mutants and Robots, Oh My!

Today's video begins part 1 of probably our most offensive videos to date.
Enjoy! :cheers:

WHITE PRIVILEGE!

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Next episode will feature Wayne Brady playing as Krieg in a surprising twist.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

A few steps to go until Tiny Tina is unleashed on the LP, for the record while I do like her, I can also see why a lot of people don't, she's awfully polarizing.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

A few steps to go until Tiny Tina is unleashed on the LP, for the record while I do like her, I can also see why a lot of people don't, she's awfully polarizing.

I think my major complaint about her is that she is such obvious fan-bait.
Her dialogue is written tight and interesting, she is set up as a sympathetic character who appears awesome in their own respect and she is, most importantly, entertaining.
However, the entire package just comes off a little janky to me. I guess I've just seen to much deviantart involving her to really allow me to like her as a character...

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Her dialogue is written tight and interesting, she is set up as a sympathetic character who appears awesome in their own respect and she is, most importantly, entertaining.
However, the entire package just comes off a little janky to me. I guess I've just seen to much deviantart involving her to really allow me to like her as a character...

She's honestly a lot better in her DLC. Honestly the entirety of the Tiny Tina DLC is fantastic.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Here's a fun fact, Fleshstick is voiced by none other than Dragonball superstar Krillin, and also Ussop from the Funimation One Piece dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Here's a fun fact, Fleshstick is voiced by none other than Dragonball superstar Krillin, and also Ussop from the Funimation One Piece dub.

My God... Of course...
IT'S ANIMES ALL THE WAY DOWN. :kheldragar:

• Locked thread