Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Given all the pre-marital sex ect she's probably on the wrong end of a toasting fork about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HaB posted:

This was a great read and a pro-click.

It raises an interesting (in my mind, at least) theological question, to wit: If you believe that suicide is a sin- is arranging your own death to go down the way it did in this case a loophole? She didn't pull the trigger, so you can't technically say she killed herself. I'm not religious and also believe that everyone should have the right to choose when they die, but I'm wondering how someone of faith would see this one. Is she burning in Hell? Or playing harp on a cloud in Heaven?

For most protestants, like the vast majority of Texans, it doesn't matter. The only requirement for the positive side of afterlife in those religions is thinking that it's real and Jesus will hold the door for you. Okay, that's not how they put it, but it's what it boils down to. Or to put it another way, if Hitler was really moved by watching Heaven is for Real then he's chilling on a cloud with a harp, assuming that the protestants are correct. Of course, this belief creates a lot of really confusing and ugly theological questions, but there's a reason why with a couple thousand years of organized Christianity they're still arguing about basic aspects of this.

For Catholics, murder including self-murder is on the short list of sins that sends you straight down if you die without getting it absolved a priest. What else is on God's no-no list? Sadly, Wikipedia does not have a separate List of Mortal Sins page and just jams it into the regular page; there's some real fun ones on there like not paying your employees enough. In this post I've actually managed to condemn myself to hell twice, so let me just say that Jesus Christ was a cocksucker just to go for the extra point.

I'm trying to come up with a complicated scenario where she could have performed penance for the action before getting shot and it's just not really viable since she'd have to be genuinely contrite and thus not want to get shot afterward. Also, she's managed to commit multiple mortal sins herself in this action so per Catholicism she's hanging out with the rock stars and divorcees.

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Re Catholicism, that's not completely true anymore. From the Catechism:

quote:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

But as per 2282, helping someone commit suicide is a sin. The Church also doesn't do "moral" vs. "venial" sins anymore as strict categories. Well, drat me, that's not true per the Catechism. That's what I learned in Catholic school, though. The idea was that you weren't supposed to be all like, "oh, this sin is okay since it's only a venial sin," you were supposed to avoid sinning altogether, since mortal and venial sins alike offended God.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jan 23, 2015

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Maybe it's because I believe everyone should have the right to die if they want to but I didn't like how the article tried to insinuate that the boyfriend was to blame, that she was just being dramatic. Like, at some point before maybe she was just being a drama queen but after you pick out the gun, its kind of on you.

Seriously? Even a teenager from a 50's hick town should have no problem figuring out that just because somebody asks doesn't mean you have to do it. And weighing her body down in water, lying to cops about it, and then telling the police you didn't think you'd get caught so quickly doesn't exactly give the impression that he was forced into participating in her suicide plot. I know that social attitudes and resources for mental health were completely different back then, but the fact that she asked several other people to do it and none of them even considered it kind of makes it obvious that he was a willing participant in her death when he didn't have to be.

edit: I also support the right to die, but in cases where it's motivated by mental disturbance I think that the first response should be to help them past it, not take them out to the swamp with a 12-gauge. How could you possibly think a teenage girl with no physical health problems, only a recent history of psychological issues, and only relatively minor social and home problems is anywhere near the same league as, say, a terminal patient, or someone suffering from severe, untreatable mental illness?

CrotchDropJeans has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Jan 23, 2015

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

HaB posted:

This was a great read and a pro-click.

It raises an interesting (in my mind, at least) theological question, to wit: If you believe that suicide is a sin- is arranging your own death to go down the way it did in this case a loophole? She didn't pull the trigger, so you can't technically say she killed herself. I'm not religious and also believe that everyone should have the right to choose when they die, but I'm wondering how someone of faith would see this one. Is she burning in Hell? Or playing harp on a cloud in Heaven?

In any kind of Christian theology, suicide is a sin because it is murder. While I can't speak to any given church's ruling on her soul in this situation, if you simply have someone else commit the murder for you, you're condemning them to eternal hellfire instead (or as well).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hint: Religion is loopholes within loopholes within loopholes.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rabbit Hill posted:

We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance

Example

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The Aral Sea in 1989 vs. 2014. Formerly the fourth largest lake on the planet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

benito posted:

Heh, and the liberal media is saying sea levels are rising. That'll show 'em! :clint:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Heh, and the liberal media is saying sea levels are rising. That'll show 'em! :clint:

To be fair this has less to do with climate change and more to do with Soviet attempts at man made famine.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

benito posted:

All we need is a big conveyor belt from the North Pole to there and then it's just a matter of loading chunks of ice.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

All we need is a big conveyor belt from the North Pole to there and then it's just a matter of loading chunks of ice.
This is a really good idea. I can't think of any better way to handle the Arctic Circle's ice surplus problem.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PresidentBeard posted:

To be fair this has less to do with climate change and more to do with Soviet attempts at man made famine.

The Soviet Union was basically every mad scientist's wet dream, if you had a theory that you could grow peas in the winter or that women should gently caress monkeys then Stalin would give you the means to fulfill that dream: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trofim_Lysenko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ivanovich_Ivanov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov
(Pavlov was probably the most scientific of the bunch, but still, dude surgically altered children so that he could collect their saliva).

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Alhazred posted:

The Soviet Union was basically every mad scientist's wet dream, if you had a theory that you could grow peas in the winter or that women should gently caress monkeys then Stalin would give you the means to fulfill that dream: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trofim_Lysenko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ivanovich_Ivanov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov
(Pavlov was probably the most scientific of the bunch, but still, dude surgically altered children so that he could collect their saliva).

Not to mention what they did to dogs. Head transplants, sending Laika to space to die...

quote:

Work with animals is a source of suffering to all of us. We treat them like babies who cannot speak. The more time passes, the more I'm sorry about it. We shouldn't have done it... We did not learn enough from this mission to justify the death of the dog.

:(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

benito posted:

Not to mention what they did to dogs. Head transplants, sending Laika to space to die...

quote:

Work with animals is a source of suffering to all of us. We treat them like babies who cannot speak. The more time passes, the more I'm sorry about it. We shouldn't have done it... We did not learn enough from this mission to justify the death of the dog.

The Drones did a great, and angry, song about the simple cruelty of Laika.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66seXrzECmA

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Seriously? Even a teenager from a 50's hick town should have no problem figuring out that just because somebody asks doesn't mean you have to do it. And weighing her body down in water, lying to cops about it, and then telling the police you didn't think you'd get caught so quickly doesn't exactly give the impression that he was forced into participating in her suicide plot. I know that social attitudes and resources for mental health were completely different back then, but the fact that she asked several other people to do it and none of them even considered it kind of makes it obvious that he was a willing participant in her death when he didn't have to be.

I got the sense that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't know why but the way they described him in the article made him sound like a huge autist or with a low IQ at the very least. I think the fact that he did follow through with it is evidence of his mental handicap. He wasn't some sort of cunning killer, he was persuaded to do a bad thing by someone he had cared for. I'm not trying to make her out to be the villain here (though it sounds like Narcissistic PD runs in her family) but he's also not the bad guy in this case in my opinion. He definitely didn't have to do it and he definitely shouldn't have done it but I get the sense that none of that poo poo ever occurred to him because he was a grade A idiot.

That being said, it would have been really hard for someone of her means to actually find psych help, let alone afford the medication they would no doubt throw at her. All of which comes after trying to get her parents to go along with it and considering their strained relationship I don't forsee her getting any mental health help anytime soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

benito posted:

After seeing the various bits about Laika in the SA Quotes thread I can't possibly find her sad.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Went looking for the 2-headed dog thing and ended up here:
http://www.nairaland.com/1897451/scariest-real-life-experiments-ever :nws: :nms: for bodies.

drat we're capable of some cruel and brutal things.

V That's most of the stuff on the link, only a bit of it is dogs.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jan 25, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Eh the Soviets starved millions of people to death on purpose and killed millions more in gulags (not always on purpose) so I have a hard time getting unnerved about a couple of dogs.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

stickyfngrdboy posted:

See I thought that as well but it turns out there's loads of evidence that the moon is populated. We've been lied to for decades.

http://i.imgur.com/SVjFkdJm.png

See?

The truth came out 180 years ago!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I remember a comedian joking that Laika was the most extreme lengths that, we, collectively as a species, have gone to to murder a dog.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Eh the Soviets starved millions of people to death on purpose and killed millions more in gulags (not always on purpose) so I have a hard time getting unnerved about a couple of dogs.

I was a vegetarian for 22 years for ethical reasons and I feel bad when I kill bugs and I still agree with you. Human life is always more valuable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was a vegetarian for 22 years for ethical reasons and I feel bad when I kill bugs and I still agree with you. Human life is always more valuable.

There was a taco shop a few years ago that offered, as a gimmick, a day in which you could buy lion tacos. I guess the lions were farm raised in the US, and the meat was legally obtained.

The guy ended up cancelling it, because he got so many credible death threats to himself and his family. :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

canyoneer posted:

There was a taco shop a few years ago that offered, as a gimmick, a day in which you could buy lion tacos. I guess the lions were farm raised in the US, and the meat was legally obtained.

The guy ended up cancelling it, because he got so many credible death threats to himself and his family. :shrug:

There was a place in AZ that did the same thing but made lion hamburgers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's not always a zero-sum game. I don't want people beaten to death in prison, but I can also try to prevent Unilever from killing rabbits to test deodorant while advocating for prison reform.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

It's alright to dislike two things at once while recognizing that one is worse than the other. Let's get back on topic folks

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

blunt for century posted:

It's alright to dislike two things at once while recognizing that one is worse than the other. Let's get back on topic folks

It's never been on topic. This was a thread about scary Oregon articles that went horribly wrong, but I just rolled with it.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Content! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire

The long and short of it is "how could waterproofing this canvas tent with paraffin and solvent possibly go wrong?"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Where does the ham come from in a lion hamburger?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

peter gabriel posted:

Where does the ham come from in a lion hamburger?

Hamburg, the city.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wasabi the J posted:

Hamburg, the city.

Brb, it's the ingredient my local shop doesn't sell

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

RNG posted:

The long and short of it is "how could waterproofing this canvas tent with paraffin and solvent possibly go wrong?"

Oh man, poor "Little Miss". Jesus, that's heartbreaking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

RNG posted:

It's alluded to in the wiki summary, but I remember hearing once that the heroes of the day were little boys with pocketknives, who slashed open the tent walls to make exits.

edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Hermosillo_daycare_center_fire

quote:

It was reported that the fire began in a tire warehouse next door and then spread to the child care centre. Further investigations revealed that the real source of the fire was on another warehouse, operated by the state government. Just a few minutes after, the fire caused the collapse of a roof section which fell over the children, infants and employees below. One of the first men on the scene reported that all children were unconscious or dead, and there were no children crying.
:smith:

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 27, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RNG posted:

I knew about the fire, but I did like this line in the article:

quote:

(the 168 figure is usually based on official tallies that included a collection of body parts that were listed as a "victim")

On the theme of major fires that have fallen out of popular consciousness, there's always the General Slocum disaster. Otherwise known as, "Why you don't fill life preservers with iron as a way to fool the inspectors."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Why on earth do life preservers have a weight requirement?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

I remember somebody yelling and seeing a big ball of fire near the top of the tent. And this ball of fire just got bigger and bigger and bigger. By that time, everybody was panicking. The exit was blocked with the cages that the animals were brought in and out with. And there was a man taking kids and flinging them up and over that cage to get them out.

Well, there's an unnerving mental image for you.

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jan 27, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Phobophilia posted:

Why on earth do life preservers have a weight requirement?

If someone is drowning, you want something you can throw to them. It's harder to throw a leaf than a rock.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

New Leaf posted:

If someone is drowning, you want something you can throw to them. It's harder to throw a leaf than a rock.

The article also said that the weight was being used to hide the fact that the preservers were made with less effective granulated cork against regulations, so the weight requirement was probably a simple (if ineffective) way to try to weed out such manufacturers.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I remember a comedian joking that Laika was the most extreme lengths that, we, collectively as a species, have gone to to murder a dog.
it was FYADs reaction to an emotional Laika tribute:

quote:

the dog was certainly scared as hell and probably making GBS threads + pissing during launch so it was a dog corpse covered in fecal matter

quote:

the dog that got cooked to death in space is memorialized with a statue in moscow, commemorating the millions of dollars and man hours used to murder a stray dog in an elaborate way

quote:

after laika the russians killed two more dogs in space by blowing them up with remote explosive charges, lol

quote:

i hope i'm alive the next time we as a species collectively dedicate that much effort and manpower and technological innovation towards executing an animal, maybe like dunking a sheep into a black hole or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

That reminds me of something I think I heard about the first responders at the Virginia Tech massacre, that the classrooms were eerily quiet except for the ringing of cell phones from victims' friends and family calling to check on them.