Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

The Butcher posted:

appears to have bottomed out and is rebounding

Just don't. This isn't knowable.

As ever, the correct move is to decide on your portfolio asset allocation (measured in CAD), and rebalance according to a set schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

He might be able to get a Secured Credit Card? That's how I got a credit card when I was 16. He would need cash he can lock up against it though.

Thanks! I knew about prepaid cards, but not secured. After some looking around, these seem to be a better option for rebuilding credit.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
So far the banks are holding their prime rate steady and not following the Bank of Canada (yet?). I guess they don't want to reduce their billions of dollars worth of profits by a few pennies.

Article discussing this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle22574714/

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 22, 2015

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Lexicon posted:

As ever, the correct move is to decide on your portfolio asset allocation (measured in CAD), and rebalance according to a set schedule.

Heh fair enough. Thanks Kal as well.

Kinda figured with how closely the CAD drop correlated to the oil price drop it should be a pretty sure indicator that CAD should be coming back up after oil shows a few weeks of steady gains.

But I guess anytime something like that is looking like a "sure thing" that probably means you should significantly check yourself before wrecking yourself.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Heh fair enough. Thanks Kal as well.

Kinda figured with how closely the CAD drop correlated to the oil price drop it should be a pretty sure indicator that CAD should be coming back up after oil shows a few weeks of steady gains.

But I guess anytime something like that is looking like a "sure thing" that probably means you should significantly check yourself before wrecking yourself.

You got it ;)

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kal Torak posted:

So far the banks are holding their prime rate steady and not following the Bank of Canada (yet?). I guess they don't want to reduce their billions of dollars worth of profits by a few pennies.

Article discussing this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle22574714/

There is certainly a precedent for the banks holding back for themselves, but I would not discount them having been "told" by the fed, who can and do have real influence at the highest levels to keep things cool specifically to address the housing market(s). I remember Flaherty being quite vocal about BMO's cheapy cheapy variable rate (1.99%) a while back and them pulling it toute suite. The Fed won't out and out say the housing market is hosed, but they aren't dumb and the broader economy is too important to them to allow just the housing situation to force their hand - so they lower the overnight rate and tell the banks don't budge on mortgages or else....

Of course the banks are happy to oblige.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

e. oops, this isn't badwithmoney, but still kinda relevant.

read your loving contracts, toolbag posted:

Hey guys, I would really appreciate some advice. Very simple facts: 1) I signed up for an online trading platform, Questrade; 2) I transferred $10 000 Canadian (CAD) cash to my Questrade trading account; 3) I bought stocks that traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

The problem is that Questrade somehow gave me a loan for $10k US dollars (USD) since the stocks were sold in US dollars. I just found out this today and it was a complete surprise. I never asked for a loan and never even knew they gave out loans. I thought they would just convert my CAD to USD and that's it. Thus, they've been charging me 6.25% monthly interest on a $10k USD loan - for 2 years now! And my $10k CAD has been sitting idly in my account. So, I've lost ~$1k CAD to interest and ~$2k due to the low CAD-USD exchange rate (my ~$10k CAD cash is worth only ~$8k USD at the moment).

I feel like I've been cheated out of $3000 since I was completely unaware that I had a loan for the past 2 years. I never asked for a loan and never signed a loan agreement. They do show the interest when you log in online and navigate to a certain page but I never checked that page and stopped logging in online 2-3 months after I bought the stocks - I just let them sit there and would check my gains/losses on Google.

Ideally, I want my $1k of interest back and I don't want to absolve the $2k losses from the currency exchange. Any advice on how to go about this? Do I have any avenues for recourse? I can't even believe this is legal.

EDIT: specifically, I am wondering if there is some kind of loan dispute Tribunal or if I can take them to small claims court?

I guess the moral is that you should read the fine print so this isn't you. A few others in the reddit thread thanked this dude for making them aware of their own ineptitude.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

e. oops, this isn't badwithmoney, but still kinda relevant.

I guess the moral is that you should read the fine print so this isn't you. A few others in the reddit thread thanked this dude for making them aware of their own ineptitude.

IDGI, did he try to buy more in stocks than he had in cash? Did he have an options account or something? When I buy USD stuff, it just creates a negative USD amount (which is a short term loan, I guess) and converts an equal amount of CAD to USD to pay for the negative, plus FX. I haven't had this happen to me at all.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

tuyop posted:

When I buy USD stuff, it just creates a negative USD amount (which is a short term loan, I guess) and converts an equal amount of CAD to USD to pay for the negative

In a non-registered account you're buying the currency and CAD would be used to pay off USD. In margin accounts it's just a straight up short term loan. Since buddy never bothered to check his statements he paid 6.25% interest a month for two years. Double whammy because a) he lost money during a bull run and 2) since the loan is in USD he's buying the currency for 25% higher than it was when he took out the loan. And now he wants to take them to court over it :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 23, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

In a non-registered account you're buying the currency and CAD would be used to pay off USD. In margin accounts it's just a straight up short term loan. Since buddy never bothered to check his statements he paid 6.25% interest a month for two years. Double whammy because he lost money during a bull run and since the loan is in USD he's buying the currency for 25% higher than it was when he took out the loan. And now he wants to take them to court over it :v:

I love that 75% AIR. Good job, Questrade!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Yeah, if you have an RRSP with Questrade and you go negative on a currency, they will convert it overnight since in a registered account, you can't actually be negative like that. In a margin account though, they won't convert it automatically and you have to request the conversion.

I think most brokers that offer multiple currencies work in this fashion. I know IB does.

That guy's an idiot. He couldn't even check his cash balance periodically? And he didn't want to know exactly how much it cost him to buy these US stocks? Dumbass.

edit: The information is in bold right on their website: http://www.questrade.com/pricing/interest_rates

Questrade posted:

Important notes about currency conversion and interest.

Except for RSP accounts, Questrade will not automatically exchange currencies. You must initiate all conversion proceedings. For example:

If you buy U.S. securities and you do not have sufficient USD, you are borrowing the money from Questrade.
You are charged interest on 100% of the amount you borrow.
Interest rates begin to apply when the security trade settles, three days after the trade date for stocks (T + 3 business days), and one day after the trade date for options (T + 1 business day). For example:
If you buy stock ABC on Monday, May 1st, the settlement date will be Thursday, May 4th (T + 3 business days).
If you sell stock ABC on Wednesday, May 3rd, the sale will settle on Monday, May 8th (T + 3 business days).
Therefore, you will have been borrowing funds for four days: from Thursday, May 4th (the day your buy trade settled) to Monday, May 8th, (the day your sell trade settled).

If you want to convert your funds, please enter your request through myQuestrade.
Read about currency conversion in Questrade RSP accounts.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 23, 2015

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Saltin posted:

There is certainly a precedent for the banks holding back for themselves, but I would not discount them having been "told" by the fed, who can and do have real influence at the highest levels to keep things cool specifically to address the housing market(s). I remember Flaherty being quite vocal about BMO's cheapy cheapy variable rate (1.99%) a while back and them pulling it toute suite. The Fed won't out and out say the housing market is hosed, but they aren't dumb and the broader economy is too important to them to allow just the housing situation to force their hand - so they lower the overnight rate and tell the banks don't budge on mortgages or else....

Of course the banks are happy to oblige.

But everything is based on the bank's prime rate, not just mortgages. If they don't adjust along with the BoC, doesn't that severely impact what the BoC is trying to do? Admittedly, I'm not an expert in this. But if this cut doesn't work the way the BoC wants it to, they'll have to cut again.

It just seems counterintuitive to cut the overnight rate but ask the banks to keep their prime rate as is. It doesn't make sense to me but maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Banks will (or can, at least) just adjust spreads on loans where it matters. They can leave the prime rate flat and still offer lower pricing for business loans, for example, by selling the loan at prime + 0.25% instead of prime + 0.5%.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Man, I hate the banks.

Rob Carrick @rcarrick
Looks like @TD_Canada has cut the rate on its investment savings account to 1% from 1.25%. Cut rates for borrowers? Nah. Bad for profits.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kal Torak posted:

Man, I hate the banks.

Rob Carrick @rcarrick
Looks like @TD_Canada has cut the rate on its investment savings account to 1% from 1.25%. Cut rates for borrowers? Nah. Bad for profits.
I think it's been discount mortgage lenders who have made the first move with banks following suit the last few times.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I finished my PhD last year and am starting a full-time job in February.

My current situation is as such:

Emergency savings account (capped)
Unregistered investment account
TFSA investment account (2015 capped)
RRSP investment account ($15,000 space)

Since I have been paying tuition and my stipend was tax-free I have been prioritizing contributions to my TFSA, followed by my unregistered investment account. Now that I will be getting a taxable income I want to verify my savings priorities.

I have accumulated ~$35,000 federal and ~$35,000 provincial tuition tax credits. So it looks like I will have a number of years where I can consume my tax credits and not pay any tax. So I assume the priority will be TFSA > Unregistered with no contribution to RRSP. When my tax credits run out I would then go with the priority TFSA > RRSP > Unregistered.

Is this correct? Is there some reason to leave my tax credits while contributing to my RRSP that I am missing?

--

Secondly, I am getting married this year. As I understand the whole income splitting scheme that has been newly introduced is only for married couples with children and therefore since we don't have children we wouldn't apply. We have been filing separately in the past. My significant other had a taxable income in 2014 while I did not. Does it make sense to file for 2014 joint or should we file separately again for 2014?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 24, 2015

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

cowofwar posted:

Is this correct? Is there some reason to leave my tax credits while contributing to my RRSP that I am missing?

I'm hoping someone else will jump in and confirm this, but I think what you want to do is still prioritise RRSP contributions ahead of unregistered, until maxed, as you can defer the tax break from your contributions to later years. You don't have to claim the contribution in the year you make it.

This way you can still invest in a tax-sheltered account free of capital gains tax, and not lose out on the tax-break from your contributions.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

cowofwar posted:

I have accumulated ~$35,000 federal and ~$35,000 provincial tuition tax credits. So it looks like I will have a number of years where I can consume my tax credits and not pay any tax.

These credits reduce your taxable income. They are not credits to set off tax owing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mantle posted:

These credits reduce your taxable income. They are not credits to set off tax owing.

Incorrect. You're thinking of tax deductions. A little knowledge is dangerous :)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

I think it's been discount mortgage lenders who have made the first move with banks following suit the last few times.
In recent years, it has been BMO that has been first to cut their rates and offer promotional mortgage rates whenever the BoC cuts rates. They really seem to be trying to acquire new mortgage business. CIBC usually follows suit by offering all sorts of 'Cash Back' offers for switching in your mortgage (and I have a lot of issues with their Cash back offers, but we'll save that discussion for another day!). But this time around, it looks like the Big Five aren't so enthusiastic about cutting their already-low mortgage rates.

Lexicon posted:

Yeah... I'm going to go and side with Lexicon and tell you not to try to catch the falling knife. As an investor, the best thing for you to do is to stay consistent, disciplined and invest with the long term as your horizon. That's it. You will get burned if you try to "time" the market.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

melon cat posted:

In recent years, it has been BMO that has been first to cut their rates and offer promotional mortgage rates whenever the BoC cuts rates. They really seem to be trying to acquire new mortgage business. CIBC usually follows suit by offering all sorts of 'Cash Back' offers for switching in your mortgage (and I have a lot of issues with their Cash back offers, but we'll save that discussion for another day!). But this time around, it looks like the Big Five aren't so enthusiastic about cutting their already-low mortgage rates.

The BoC hasn't cut rates since 2009. And in 2010 the BoC raised them 3 times and the banks all raised the prime rate the very next day.

Assuming the banks refuse to cut now and oil eventually bounces back, what happens when the BoC raises the overnight rate back to 1%? Do the banks raise prime to 3.25%? I'm guessing yes.

The Federal Government is losing their mind trying to get a fourth wireless carrier because of those evil Telcos, but nobody cares about the Banks gouging their customers to increase their $30B+ of annual profits.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Mantle posted:

Lexicon posted:

Incorrect. You're thinking of tax deductions. A little knowledge is dangerous :)

I didn't fully understand how these worked until I did my sister's taxes the other year (I also have tons of them saved up, though). For the federal tax credits, applying X of your credits will reduce your taxes owed by 0.15*X (here, 0.15 is the rate of the lowest tax bracket). So if you have paid 5k of federal income tax in the year, you can apply 5000/0.15 = 33333 of federal tax credits to reduce your taxes owed to 0, and the government will send you a refund check for $5000.

Note that this means that there is no incentive to save them up until you are in a higher marginal tax bracket, because they do not reduce your taxable income.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, to be fair to Mantle, they are indeed confusing. I pretty much have to relearn the definition every time tax season rolls around.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Great article from Rob Carrick:

Banks fail ethics test by not lowering prime rates
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle22642899/

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kal Torak posted:

Great article from Rob Carrick:

Banks fail ethics test by not lowering prime rates
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle22642899/

quote:

But putting shareholders so clearly ahead of customers was an ethical fail. It tells customers they’re just meat to feed the shareholders, and that fine print is more important than integrity.
Duh

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

And seeing as my Canadian Index fund is heavy on Banks.... I guess they are looking out for me?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Got set up with Tangerine, which was surprisingly easy, especially with the "take a picture of the cheque" feature on the app. I've already been in contact with TD and the banker I spoke with is quite aware of the e-series conversion process so this should be a snap too.

And 4 Pillars just arrived yesterday. New Year's resolution working out great so far

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

Got set up with Tangerine, which was surprisingly easy, especially with the "take a picture of the cheque" feature on the app. I've already been in contact with TD and the banker I spoke with is quite aware of the e-series conversion process so this should be a snap too.

And 4 Pillars just arrived yesterday. New Year's resolution working out great so far

Why tangerine over PCFinancial?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Past dealings with PC leave us with a bad taste in our mouths still. Plus we have a Tangerine cafe 8 blocks from our place

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

RBC the first to cut prime:
http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/news/2015/20150127-primerate.html

They cut by 0.15 instead of 0.25 but it's a start. It will be interesting to see which banks play follow the leader.

edit: BMO follows and cuts to 2.85%. That didn't take long.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Past dealings with PC leave us with a bad taste in our mouths still. Plus we have a Tangerine cafe 8 blocks from our place

I know it shouldn't reflect the bank as a whole, but I wasn't very impressed by a PC pavilion guy setting me up with a PC TFSA account when I was getting a regular savings account, and only telling me after. He almost seemed shocked that I didn't want it. Sorry I wasn't in the mood to pad your sign up numbers for the month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I need to put some money in an investment that will hopefully generate more return than a savings account but preserve the principal as much as possible in case I need to pay it back (it's a bursary with a service requirement that I might not want to fulfill). What are the risks of losing my contribution room if I put the money in my TFSA and buy a bond ETF? I mean, other than "not 0".

I may never need to touch the money until we take like a mini retirement or FI or something (best case), or I might need to return it intact by September (worst case).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Does RBC offer anything comparable to the TD E-Series that people like? I have accounts with RBC and it would be easier to keep it all together

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Does RBC offer anything comparable to the TD E-Series that people like? I have accounts with RBC and it would be easier to keep it all together

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

triplexpac posted:

I used to be this way (CIBC), but it's really not worth it. Don't look at the bank when choosing the best service - pick the best service and go with it, regardless of the institution.

I have various investments, credit accounts/cards, a mortgage and a chequing account across 9 different institutions now. Part of this is because I'm a credit card churner, but even without all the churned credit cards, I deal with four institutions.

Use Mint to track everything, and the Pay Bills section of Online Banking to transfer money. It's really easy.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
So, Canadian equities are the majority class of my RRSP (38%) should I be calling to move these now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

peter banana posted:

So, Canadian equities are the majority class of my RRSP (38%) should I be calling to move these now?
Don't sell just don't buy anymore to average down.